Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

The Iron Rose posted:

the point is that the not a choice argument implies that, were being gay to be a choice, no one would choose to be gay.

frankly, gently caress that. It oughtn't matter whether or not being gay is or isn't a choice, since it's perfectly acceptable either way.

It shouldn't, but in my experience it's they reason gay people aren't being lynched en masse in the South. I've been told point blank that they believe gays are abominations but that's just they way God made 'em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Kajeesus posted:

No it doesn't? It's just a refutation of bullshit.

"Being gay is a choice."

"Uh, no, you're an idiot."

"You're saying nobody would choose to be gay!? You're the real racist homophobe!"

I think the point is the implications of the argument - you can't discriminate against aspects of people that isn't their choice (race, gender, religion), but you can discriminate against things that people choose for themselves (what their hair looks like, if they're wearing a shirt, etc). If someone says that being gay is a choice, it implies that that would make it ok to discriminate against them, and by saying "but being gay isn't a choice" the undercurrent to that argument is "they can't choose, which is what makes it bad to discriminate; if they could choose, it would be fine" when the point is that you shouldn't be allowed to discriminate against gay people whether or not it's a choice. Even if everybody could choose to be gay or not 12 times a day, it would be fine.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Kajeesus posted:

I guess I'm lucky I've never had to argue gay rights with anyone, but I really don't understand where you're coming from. Has anyone ever said that if you could prove that homosexuality is a choice, they'd be totally down with oppressing the gays?

There are absolutely people who believe that if you can establish that homosexuality is not a choice, then homosexuals should not have civil rights protections.

Alveda C. King, via Conservapedia posted:

...there is a larger body of science represented even by the above scientists that agrees that mature behavior patterns rely much more on social shaping and choices than genetic predisposition, such that these behaviors may be successfully modified by a variety of means. The food addict may eat responsibly, the alcoholic may drink responsibly or not at all, and the homosexual may live according to a wide range of choices as well. Thus, binge drinking, overeating, cocaine abuse and other behaviors do not have to be granted public latitude as a matter of right in this great nation. Certainly, these and other mutable behaviors may be practiced; they may be under constitutional protection in fact (under our privacy clauses), but they may not be granted civil rights or public protection.

Again, if behavior or other aspects of personhood may be altered, then those aspects fail to meet civil rights status. Homosexual practice clearly falls into this category. As my mother, Alveda C. King has said, "I have met many ex-homosexuals just as I have met many ex-husbands, ex-wives, ex-drug addicts and ex-lawyers. Yet I have never met an ex-Negro, ex-Caucasian or ex-Native American." The politics of preference does not jibe with civil rights legitimacy.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Hasters posted:

It shouldn't, but in my experience it's they reason gay people aren't being lynched en masse in the South. I've been told point blank that they believe gays are abominations but that's just they way God made 'em.

Don't get me wrong, I care about what works way more than the fact that it's mildly 'problematic'.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I've literally learned an important fact I got wrong all my life from a JJ comic. The burning shame of it all.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

Don't get me wrong, I care about what works way more than the fact that it's mildly 'problematic'.
Yeah, it has its place when dealing with the "It's unnatural! :bahgawd:" crowd, but I don't think it's a sin to point out the issues with saying stuff like that.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

WarpedNaba posted:

Oh god drat it, why did I have to learn about Pratchett's death here? :smith:

I actually managed not to catch that. I guess my brain did not want me to know about the death of my favorite author. :(

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

If it makes people feel better, Pratchett wanted to die and would have done so sooner had it not been for euthanasia laws.

What really sucks is the whole Alzheimer's thing :smith:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I've never seen someone say it's not a choice, unless it's as a direct response to someone saying it is. I guess that's why I'd never read anything into it.

Hasters posted:

Not My Leg posted:

There are absolutely people who believe that if you can establish that homosexuality is not a choice, then homosexuals should not have civil rights protections.

Okay there are some messed up people out there :stare:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
He intended to end himself before he lost control of his facilities, I wonder if he finally got the dignified death he'd been looking for?

e: Reading through the bbc article, it appears he didn't get the option to end himself. But surrounded by family and friends (and a cat) ain't so bad, all things reckoned :unsmith:

WarpedNaba fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 12, 2015

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Rorus Raz posted:

I'm actually not a huge fan of the "not a choice" argument so eh. It's just got a nasty implication that your attractions are awful and sinful but you can't help it so I guess it's okay.

How? By that logic being black is a sinful and awful thing that people just have to live with. It being a fundamental part of who you are doesn't make it bad.

The Iron Rose posted:

the point is that the not a choice argument implies that, were being gay to be a choice, no one would choose to be gay.
Well who the heck would? Look at the world around us where homosexuals are slandered, beaten, denied their rights, and robbed because of rampaging bigots. Why would any person chose that?

It should be a perfectly wonderful way to live your life, but gigantic bigots exist, so its still a far harder life than you'd have if you were straight.

Hasters posted:

Since when has that stopped anyone in the south from lynching?

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Fulchrum posted:

Since when has that stopped anyone in the south from lynching?

Since a lot of "they gays" are rich and white.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

Bicyclops posted:

This is actually kind of funny and suits his artwork better. He should have only done this for most of his career.

Hey, Beeg, this Disney thing was Glenn's work, right? So, I'm curious, has Gary ever drawn anything worth a drat outside of their political cartoons and joint comic strip?

*a hurricane of tumbleweed blows through and destroys the thread*

CampingCarl posted:

The flag on the right should be blue with the seal on it. Rall made it Hello Kitty? Incisive commentary.
No. It gets better than that. Not something we've seen in a while, but making Obama's flag Hello Kitty is a Thing that Rall does. He's proud of that idea. So proud, he had a go at another cartoonist who drew something kinda similar to that idea, and threatened to sue him for stealing his idea if I recall. The guy's response was approximately "Uh what the gently caress is a Ted Rall"

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Fulchrum posted:

How? By that logic being black is a sinful and awful thing that people just have to live with. It being a fundamental part of who you are doesn't make it bad.

Well who the heck would? Look at the world around us where homosexuals are slandered, beaten, denied their rights, and robbed because of rampaging bigots. Why would any person chose that?

It should be a perfectly wonderful way to live your life, but gigantic bigots exist, so its still a far harder life than you'd have if you were straight.

Because it's who I am, and I gladly suffer all the indignities of homophobia to be who and what I am and want to be. If there were a pill I could take to make me be interested in men I'd punch the person offering it in the jaw, because gently caress that.

Besides other women are way better in bed then men are.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The Iron Rose posted:

Because it's who I am, and I gladly suffer all the indignities of homophobia to be who and what I am and want to be. If there were a pill I could take to make me be interested in men I'd punch the person offering it in the jaw, because gently caress that.

Yeah, its who you are, its who you were born as. You didn't reach puberty as a sexless child and decide "Hmm, do I want to be a hetero, or experience my family considering disowning me, a prominent political party constantly calling me a child molester, be denied basic rights, have my employment easily terminated, and in general lead a harder life?"

If you were offered that decision now, you'd stand by it, but thats not the question. Its about someone who is neither gay nor straight choosing one way or the other.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

You are saying that people wouldn't choose to be gay because of bigotry and people being lovely in general. Not because there is any inherently wrong or right thing with gayness in itself.

That's not a choice made by what they want, but rather a choice made out of fear which really isn't much of a choice.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Its a conscious decision based on the reality of the situation as it exists, with all factors considered. That is a choice. If we only allow that a choice must be between two equally good options, then sexuality is not a choice by definition due to the aforementioned bigots who won't shut up and go away.

Heck, the whole point of saying its a choice is claiming that what they want is not a factor in making this choice, its the very thing they are choosing. They chose to like the same gender, so they like the same gender. Why did they choose that? Something something someething gay agenda who the gently caress cares what those idiots think its just going to be retarded.

In a perfect, more tolerant world, there could be grounds to consider that sexuality may be a choice. But we don't live in that world, so the people who argue it are usually the best proof why they're wrong.

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Mar 12, 2015

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

:effort:

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

WarpedNaba posted:

He intended to end himself before he lost control of his facilities, I wonder if he finally got the dignified death he'd been looking for?

e: Reading through the bbc article, it appears he didn't get the option to end himself. But surrounded by family and friends (and a cat) ain't so bad, all things reckoned :unsmith:

Oh drat it all why did you post that :cry:

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I was going to make an edit to say he is fugly, but okay.

Great minds think alike.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Like anyone would mock his poor cat.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

The Iron Rose posted:

I wish there was a pill you could take that would make you not be a smug chickenhawk.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

WarpedNaba posted:

I swear to God I'm going to smite someone. Terry didn't choose to die because he didn't have to make the choice. He died naturally before losing his faculties. So yes, he did get the dignified death he wanted.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Farage's call to scrap anti-discrimination laws – Ukip leader Nigel Farage says Britain should scrap some of its current anti-discrimination laws in favour of legislation that does not seek to ‘divide people’" (based on these old signs)

Telegraph:

Lib Dem Ibrahim Taguri quits party amid donation claims

Wednesday's Times:

Nato 2% defence spending target should be met, MPs say After Alfred Leete.

Yesterday's Times:

Islamic State crisis: The 13-year-old on 'righteous path'

Mail:
Mac on... Ex-wives seeking bonus divorce settlements

Edit: Independent:

Cloud Potato fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Mar 13, 2015

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Venom Snake posted:

Just because he occasionally makes a not poo poo cartoon doesn't mean he's worthy of respect. The dude legit thinks that drones are terminators come from the Obammunist future to destroy all freedom.

Maybe you have trouble with the concept, but people are allowed to have different opinions, even stupid lovely wrong ones, and still be worthy of respect. Stantis is clearly capable of reflection and critical thinking, and that shows in his cartoons. He's coming at it from a different angle, based on some crappy perceptions, but he puts some thought into what he chooses to support.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

loquacius posted:

So JJ McCullough did a longform comic on The Nib showcasing female rulers throughout history. I'm not gonna post the entire thing but here's a snippet so this post doesn't get lost in the shuffle:

JJ should just stick to stuff like this so I can enjoy his art rather than be disappointed by his terrible opinions.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

In any other cartoon, Obama would respond with "the dogs?" and then the other guy would respond "No, the Secret Service Agents", but Luckovich knows all he needs to do is prominently place a picture of the dogs and he knows we'll get the expectation. I gotta hand it to him, that's pretty subtle for a political cartoonist.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Lookit those goofy dogs :3:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
In a conservative cartoon those dogs would have been eaten.

Sir Rolo
Oct 16, 2012

AGC.

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY8_7LWDx0w

Mahuum Aqoha
Jan 15, 2004

SHEPARD!
Do it for the universe!
Fun Shoe

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

Lookit those goofy dogs :3:

Luckovich draws the best animals. I wish I could find the herding cats one he did some time ago, it was really cute :3:

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Mahuum Aqoha posted:

Luckovich draws the best animals. I wish I could find the herding cats one he did some time ago, it was really cute :3:

This one?

Acropolis
Feb 21, 2014

Having not actually read the comic, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that none of that was or will ever be said by Obama.

The following is probably more accurate.

I really hate Muir's "Presidential Machiavellian Monologue while viewing the front of the White House" comics. Feels like nothing but projection.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

God loving DAMMIT. We've already been over this, Tinsley! I know you've got a two week delay but loving CHRIST this was a stupid goddamn talking point back then and now it's just pathetic. No-one can make me angry like a drunk idiot dragging up a two-week old pile of bullshit and pretending to have some sort of witty spin on it. Especially when that 'witty spin' is basically repeating the old take, 'He won't say it because he's an evil traitor.'

Meanwhile, the 47 traitors have backpedalled to the point of claiming that the letter was a prank and that the President doesn't have a sense of humour.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Is that Grumpy Cat? That's Grumpy Cat.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
What is supposed to be the value of calling it Islamic extremism again? Like I know it's actually that they're bigoted fucks who are upset that Obama isn't launching screeds at all of Islam, but what's the cover story? Its strategic value in the conflict against ISIS is to . . . ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Jonny Angel posted:

What is supposed to be the value of calling it Islamic extremism again? Like I know it's actually that they're bigoted fucks who are upset that Obama isn't launching screeds at all of Islam, but what's the cover story? Its strategic value in the conflict against ISIS is to . . . ?
Isn't "bigoted fucks upset about Obama" all that is ever needed to make something a cover story?

• Locked thread