Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe
Well now I don't feel so bad about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Marchegiana posted:

Just at a glance, most of the trees I saw on the map in NYC were honey locust, linden, and gingko. Honey locust seed pods have a small amount of edible pulp in them similar to tamarind. Linden flowers have been widely used for tea. The leaves of linden are also edible, though I dunno if I'd want to eat the leaves off anything that's been growing alongside a busy New York city street. Gingko nuts are also edible, if you don't mind cleaning off the fruit pulp that smells like vomit and sometimes can provoke a reaction similar to poison ivy if you touch it with bare skin. So yeah, all those trees are edible, the question is how much effort you want to put into getting edibles from them.

Oh, I know all about the Ginkgo trees. They are gorgeous in the fall but the female trees smell hideous once the berries start dropping and all the sidewalk traffic squishes them.

Know anything about Chokecherry and Cherry plum trees? There seems to be a few of those scattered about my neighborhood, including on my street.

Also there's a gorgeous Crabapple tree I walk by a lot that was loaded with fruit last summer and fall. They looked just like apples except maybe the size of large grapes. I actually tried nibbling on one, and it was a bit mealy and not a sweetness. I was curious and started googling for recipes because I heard they can be eaten with enough cooking and sugar, and ended up in some weird corner of the Internet filled with off-the-grid survivalist mommyblogs.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Crabapples make good jelly- in fact I've seen a lot of old-fashioned recipes that add crabapples to another fruit because the crabapples are naturally high in pectin. I'm sure you could make apple sauce or butter out of crabapples as well. Chokecherries I've never seen in this area, but if they're anything like the black cherries around here they're also good for jelly but not much else. Well, maybe wine. The ratio of edible flesh to seed makes it good for juicing but not so great for fresh eating. Cherry plum are supposed to be good, and in fact I have a neighbor who has one in their front yard. However when I went by right around the time they should be ripe to ask about them they were all gone, so either I missed the window or the owner harvested them all. I plan on trying again this year.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Honeybees found my blueberries!

They are so cute :3:

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

mrmcd posted:

off-the-grid survivalist mommyblogs.

That is a corner of the internet you don't want to get stuck in, but they have amazing recipes for crabapple jelly and kale chips, so...

I haven't seen any bugs yet. It just got above freezing this week after a nasty cold snap. I'm finally considering getting out of my winter depression long enough to plant something, since the sun deigned to show its face for the first time in three weeks...

I like fallingfruit but there is nothing in my area listed except trees from the tree census. I'd try to add to it but all I'm aware of is the lemon balm in the vacant lots up the street. :(

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Lemon balm is great! :3: I think I killed all mine while away on vacation, but we'll see. Maybe there is something hidden and viable there.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
God lemon balm is a weed here. I didn't think it was possible to kill the stuff.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
It is if you take yours inside! I never put mine in the ground since I was pretty sure it would conquer the neighborhood. The watering system I set up while I was on vacation didn't really work, and my house is incredibly dry. You, too, can kill mints! Just put them indoors. (I am bad at houseplants.)

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

RedTonic posted:

It is if you take yours inside! I never put mine in the ground since I was pretty sure it would conquer the neighborhood. The watering system I set up while I was on vacation didn't really work, and my house is incredibly dry. You, too, can kill mints! Just put them indoors. (I am bad at houseplants.)

I was pretty sure I killed my peppermint last year after bringing it inside, but as soon as I took it back out in the spring it came right back up. I guess we'll see if it's 2/2 this year.

I think I probably have killed my awkwardly shaped lavendar this winter though, from forgetting to water it, unless it has some sort of dormant but not really dead mode. drat you grow light timers!

My sage actually flowered under the grow light though. Hopefully this horrible winter is nearly done and they can all soon go back outside into natural light again.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I've added some loquat trees to my local Falling Fruit map, but most of the stuff nearby is from another town's tree census. Of course.

Cherry plums are pretty tasty, but the seeds are pretty big compared to the amount of fruit on them. They're often planted as ornamentals around here so you don't really see people eating them. They have gorgeous pink flowers and bloom in early spring (which was a couple weeks ago here). A friend of mine calls it "pink tree season". :3:

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

RedTonic posted:

Lemon balm is great! :3:

It is! I made the mistake of planting mine in the ground though, and it will NEVER die. It thrives on neglect and cutting back. I dried a bunch of leaves last year and have been using them for tea :3:

The only herb I bring inside is my rosemary. It spends the winter in my windowsill and except for me forgetting to water it sometimes it seems pretty happy. I suck at watering schedules, which is why my houseplant collection is mainly cacti.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Anyone here grown broccolini or baby broccoli? Or what is the difference even?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Rotten Cookies posted:

I called up my town and asked about the compost. The person on the other end didn't know offhand, but was very enthusiastic about finding out haha. So I asked if the compost has been tested for pesticides, heavy metals, or human waste (which she called biosolids?). I should have an answer today or tomorrow. We'll see what happens. As always, thanks for the knowledge.

Great news! The leaf mold has been tested and it's good stuff. The woman I spoke to yesterday actually called up the Agricultural extension to get that info for me and called me back today. Hooray! Free poo poo that won't kill my veggies and flowers!

And I got lots of cucumber, swiss chard, bean, and spinach sprouts poking their heads out.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
Does anyone want to plan my garden for me? Every year I get determined to concentrate on it, then a holiday and mistreatment by a neighbour lets me down and everything dies

Its not the biggest in the world, but I also have a greenhouse

This is how I usually end up (overcrowded)

In the north of the UK incase that maes a difference to any advice

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Went to HomeDepot today because they have pepper plants 6-packs for $3.49. I made a new raised bed purely for peppers, so I was going to get 2 or 3 packs. ALL of HomeDepot's vegetable starts are infected with these small black flea like bugs. They had wings, but not as big as a housefly, yet bigger than a flea, and they were more hopping than flying.

Glad I looked closely before I bought them, don't want my garden infected with those things.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Flea beetles; the name is fitting! Some despots are better or worse about controlling pests and infections. Sounds like yours is not so great. Have you tried starting them from seed?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rotten Cookies posted:

Great news! The leaf mold has been tested and it's good stuff. The woman I spoke to yesterday actually called up the Agricultural extension to get that info for me and called me back today. Hooray! Free poo poo that won't kill my veggies and flowers!

Awesome....best possible outcome.

Now get your garden soil tested so you'll know exactly what to add (if anything) and you'll be unstoppable (if you remember to water :))

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I have a lemon balm and mint garden.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
Anyone have any knowledge about planting fruit trees in Michigan? I live in Ann Arbor and am looking to put a new tree in our front yard, and we'd love to have a fruit tree. Seems like Apricots are a bit touchy with frost, but any idea about plums or pears? Could always go apple or cherry, but they're less exciting for some reason.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

I live in Ohio and I think our weather and zones are similar. Maybe a pawpaw tree if you want to go exotic? Mulberry trees are another option.

ashez2ashes fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 12, 2015

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

My friend planted peppermint in her yard.

I tried to warn her but she said it was a semi shady area where stuff doesn't seem to grow well. She just laughed when I said that would just make it angry.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Motronic posted:

Awesome....best possible outcome.

Now get your garden soil tested so you'll know exactly what to add (if anything) and you'll be unstoppable (if you remember to water :))

Something I've done in years past is we've planted impatiens (white/pink/red flowers) near some of our veggies. They dry out first, maybe show some wilting, and I figure they'll show when the dirt is dry before the veggies start showing?

I remember seeing this in some sort of video, like an indicator plant or something? Is this a reliable way of knowing when to water?

E: They are called impatiens. Not impatience. Why would they ever be called impatience.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

My friend planted peppermint in her yard.

I tried to warn her but she said it was a semi shady area where stuff doesn't seem to grow well. She just laughed when I said that would just make it angry.

When I was a kid, I planted chocolate mint in a boggy part of my mom's backyard. By the time she moved out of that place, half the yard was chocolate mint. It smelled heavenly when mowed. (Like a perfumed armageddon.)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rotten Cookies posted:

Something I've done in years past is we've planted impatiens (white/pink/red flowers) near some of our veggies. They dry out first, maybe show some wilting, and I figure they'll show when the dirt is dry before the veggies start showing?

I remember seeing this in some sort of video, like an indicator plant or something? Is this a reliable way of knowing when to water?

I don't see why it wouldn't be if you pick the right indicator plant. That's actually pretty clever.

I put in drip irrigation on a timer so I'm basically just a cheater.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

pugnax posted:

Anyone have any knowledge about planting fruit trees in Michigan? I live in Ann Arbor and am looking to put a new tree in our front yard, and we'd love to have a fruit tree. Seems like Apricots are a bit touchy with frost, but any idea about plums or pears? Could always go apple or cherry, but they're less exciting for some reason.

Apples are the most hardy followed by pear, apricot and domestic plums. It looks like you're in zone 5. Stella Otto's Backyard Orchardist book suggests apple, cherry, hardy peach, pear, hardy apricot and plum for your region. Most pears and plums require cross pollination. A local nursery should be able to advise you on the varieties best suited for your area.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Anybody grown Calabrian/Calabrese Chile Peppers? They have a pretty gourmet reputation, italian. Can only find 1 source for seeds:
http://www.growitalian.com/pepper-piccante-calabrese-97-115/

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Comb Your Beard posted:

Anybody grown Calabrian/Calabrese Chile Peppers? They have a pretty gourmet reputation, italian. Can only find 1 source for seeds:
http://www.growitalian.com/pepper-piccante-calabrese-97-115/
There are a lot of sellers in Italy :v:

http://www.bulbishop.it/catalogo/dettaglio.asp?IDart=540
http://www.zanetgarden.it/index.php...chk=1&Itemid=53
http://shop.italsementi.com/it/italsementi/276-Peperone-Piccante-Calabrese.html
http://www.venditapianteonline.it/shop/peperoncini/peperoncino-piccante-calabrese/
http://www.fuscelloagostinosementi.com/peperone-tondo-piccante-calabrese.html
http://www.universosementi.it/PEPERONE-RED-CHERRY-SMALL-CALABRESE-Semi-in-busta-Sunflower

Have no idea if any of them delivers to the US, can't be bothered to run these sites through Google translate.

They look a lot like peppadews. No idea if they are the same. I'm going to try peppadews and similar but off brand peppers from seeds I found in supermarket food products. No idea how that's going to work out.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

Well, I guess it's time to start staring at my blueberries hoping that they'll revive.

ashez2ashes fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 13, 2015

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

ashez2ashes posted:

Well, I guess it's time to start staring at my blueberries hoping that they'll revive.

I'm debating dragging my blueberry containers inside until they leaf out. They should have more than enough cold hours this year already.

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

Do not put rocks in brain.
I planted a pair of bare root trees, a peach and a plum, in January. The plum is covered in baby branches now, and the peach only has a few little buds for new leaves (just emerged last week). Should I worry about the peach?

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
First year I planted my peach it stayed in dormancy until nearly Memorial Day. I had pretty much given it up for dead for the entire month beforehand, but kept putting off digging it up "just in case". Apparently it just needed extra time getting set up because it's going gangbusters now. That same peach broke dormancy this week and already has bud swell. I think they just need extra time getting established.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

Flipperwaldt posted:

There are a lot of sellers in Italy :v:

http://www.bulbishop.it/catalogo/dettaglio.asp?IDart=540
http://www.zanetgarden.it/index.php...chk=1&Itemid=53
http://shop.italsementi.com/it/italsementi/276-Peperone-Piccante-Calabrese.html
http://www.venditapianteonline.it/shop/peperoncini/peperoncino-piccante-calabrese/
http://www.fuscelloagostinosementi.com/peperone-tondo-piccante-calabrese.html
http://www.universosementi.it/PEPERONE-RED-CHERRY-SMALL-CALABRESE-Semi-in-busta-Sunflower

Have no idea if any of them delivers to the US, can't be bothered to run these sites through Google translate.

They look a lot like peppadews. No idea if they are the same. I'm going to try peppadews and similar but off brand peppers from seeds I found in supermarket food products. No idea how that's going to work out.

A couple of garden/plant places around here have a small display of foreign seeds. It might be worthwhile to call a few higher-end nurseries in your are to see if any carry what you're looking for.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

My tiny strawberry patch actually has live plants when I most of the straw off yesterday. We literally had 18 inches of snow on the ground last week. I'm really surprised. They're not robust or anything, but defintily alive.

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

Do not put rocks in brain.

Marchegiana posted:

First year I planted my peach it stayed in dormancy until nearly Memorial Day. I had pretty much given it up for dead for the entire month beforehand, but kept putting off digging it up "just in case". Apparently it just needed extra time getting set up because it's going gangbusters now. That same peach broke dormancy this week and already has bud swell. I think they just need extra time getting established.

Thanks--this is reassuring. :)

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Just spent $40 on seeds :toot: Hope I have more success germinating them than last year!

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
I'm looking for advice or suggestions on what plant I should grow. The right-hand side of my south-facing balcony has an arch that could support a bit of weight from a vine if I run string between it. The fence itself is about 3 feet tall (lined with bamboo cover) and then it's open air with the arch, up to bout 6 feet or so. I'm in zone 9b (Rome) and would love a plant with thick leaf cover for a bit of aesthetic appeal and also plenty of fruit. The faster it grows the better, especially if I'm growing from seeds.

Does anybody have any ideas? I was thinking cherry or grape tomatoes or some such thing, but I'd be happy trying anything so long as it grows pretty quickly.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

I'm looking for advice or suggestions on what plant I should grow. The right-hand side of my south-facing balcony has an arch that could support a bit of weight from a vine if I run string between it. The fence itself is about 3 feet tall (lined with bamboo cover) and then it's open air with the arch, up to bout 6 feet or so. I'm in zone 9b (Rome) and would love a plant with thick leaf cover for a bit of aesthetic appeal and also plenty of fruit. The faster it grows the better, especially if I'm growing from seeds.

Does anybody have any ideas? I was thinking cherry or grape tomatoes or some such thing, but I'd be happy trying anything so long as it grows pretty quickly.

Why not turn it into a grape arbor? Passionfruit is also lovely--gorgeous flowers, edible fruit.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
That's a brilliant idea, I'd forgotten about passionfruit because I don't normally eat it. I even have some spare wood I can build into a poor man's trellis (I don't think a bit of string will hold up a passionfruit vine).

Now I wish I weren't going away for a week on Monday, I won't be able to sort this out til I get back the following Monday. I'm missing precious weeks of Spring!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

That's a brilliant idea, I'd forgotten about passionfruit because I don't normally eat it.

I admit it only came to mind because you mentioned you're in Rome. I'd love to grow passionflower myself, but at this point I have too many plans and probably not quite the right space left for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

I think I'm going to buy this:
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/huskeereg%3B-front-tine-compact-rototiller-carb-compliant

I tried moving it around in the store. I think I can handle it as a woman. My bed from last year should be fine. I'll just have to be slow and careful with any new ground.