Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
I'm betting it's Magic by a country mile. Magic's been growing and growing super fast for several years. GW is making GBS threads it's pants trying to stay solvent and generally just pissing off its fan base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henron
Feb 19, 2010

Arms held out
In your Jesus Christ pose
The New Set Sucks

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Irony Be My Shield posted:

There are exactly 60 1/1's in standard right now.

:aaaaa: time to build a singleton deck

So for this to be balanced it'd take 60 1-damage spells. Apparently Lightning Strike, Anger of the Gods, Stoke the Flames et. al. don't count because ??????? ?? ? ?????

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Henron posted:

The New Set Sucks
You'll change your tune when they release Return to Lorwyn and the new keyword is fishbrick.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I regularly attend a game shop where a dozen different games are going on at any time. The over-generalization and flat out lies that players of game X will tell to explain why they hate game Y are always a pleasure to listen to.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Dohaeris posted:

I like Standard as a concept, with just the newer sets, because looking into something like Modern or Legacy is super intimidating. I learned to play as a kid but didn't seriously start until a month ago and getting into one of those just seems daunting. A few standard rotations under my belt though, and I can see that being much more interesting. Also as an adult with an actual job that gives me disposable income, the entire game is way more appealing than it was as a kid.

It sounds like money might not be the biggest concern, but I'd argue that top tier standard is harder to keep up with than modern just due to constant new cards and rotations.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

This man has not seen Magic in over 15 years.

Yeah I was about to say, this is definitely a guy who tried playing a duel deck at fnm after not having played in 15 years. Understandable, but still really funny that his retreat is the Warhammer thread

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

On an unrelated note: I started on Pucatrade. I want to send some poo poo out, but I think my display preferences are hosed. The only card in my collection anyone in America seems to want is Battlefield Thaumaturge. That can't be right, can it? Adding Canada adds Oath of Druids only. I have a ton of sweet Standard, Modern and Legacy stuff. Is Pucatrade just not used in America?

I think it's that you need people who want something off your have list, who also have a large enough points balance to debit once you claim their points by sending to them. My understanding is as soon as you earn some points people will be refreshing their own have lists and giving you something in order to get your points ASAP.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Pucatrade is all about the :f5:

Just list your stuff, and check back every hour or so. I do the bulk of my trading with Americans, even though I currently live in Japan. And list as much stuff as you can reasonably keep track of -- there are a ton of people on PucaTrade just looking for weird commons and uncommons from previous sets to round out their EDH decks and other pet decks. If you can send 5 or more cards in a single go, you're offsetting the cost of shipping.

Also, if you see someone who wants a card you're willing to ship, click on their name and check what else in on their list. You may be able to send more stuff if they have a card listed that you have, but didn't list.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Wait, 1 damage interrupts? There's never been an interrupt that dealt damage!

Remember when Mystical Tutor searched for interrupts and mana sources letting you yoink lands out of your deck. :allears:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Yawgmoth posted:

You'll change your tune when they release Return to Lorwyn and the new keyword is fishbrick.

I don't even care what fishbrick does, I just want it to exist.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

AlternateNu posted:

Remember when Mystical Tutor searched for interrupts and mana sources letting you yoink lands out of your deck. :allears:

Lands aren't mana sources! :goonsay:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

suicidesteve posted:

Lands aren't mana sources! :goonsay:

Then me and my friends were playing it wrong for a loooooong time. :v:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

AlternateNu posted:

Then me and my friends were playing it wrong for a loooooong time. :v:

For a few years, Mana Source was a separate card type.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

"Mana Source" is a card type that appeared exactly twice ever, Dark Ritual and Culling the Weak. RIP weird old card type, go join Enchant World and Interrupt in Valhalla.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

"Mana Source" is a card type that appeared exactly twice ever, Dark Ritual and Culling the Weak. RIP weird old card type, go join Enchant World and Interrupt in Valhalla.

Enchant World still sort-of exists, it's just that World is a supertype now (so in theory you could have World Creature, World Artifact, etc.).

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

World is a supertype that is still in the rules; only one World permanent can be in play at a time. Theoretically this could come into play today if you tried to play Nether Void and Concordant Crossroads at the same time, or if you could give creatures the supertype.

World Creature - Sponge.

So it's more like Banding and Phasing in that they're still supported game terms, but they just don't make more because it doesn't really add anything.

Mana Source and Interrupt are defunct card types that were rolled up into Instant back in 6th edition. A Tempest Dark Ritual is printed as a Mana Source but the rules grasp it as an Instant like any other. This had the side effect of making rit counterable but oh well.

ZoMBiePiGGy
Mar 26, 2007
Who put my stapler in jello!?!?

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Pucatrade is all about the :f5:

Just list your stuff, and check back every hour or so. I do the bulk of my trading with Americans, even though I currently live in Japan. And list as much stuff as you can reasonably keep track of -- there are a ton of people on PucaTrade just looking for weird commons and uncommons from previous sets to round out their EDH decks and other pet decks. If you can send 5 or more cards in a single go, you're offsetting the cost of shipping.

Also, if you see someone who wants a card you're willing to ship, click on their name and check what else in on their list. You may be able to send more stuff if they have a card listed that you have, but didn't list.

These are good tips.

I use a Chrome extension called Page Monitor that will refresh a site as often as you'd like and play a noise if there is a change. This makes it a lot easier to catch good trades because they won't be up for long.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Actually, I think you can make a World Creature - Sponge. Play any World Enchantment, Opalescence, Darksteel Mutation targeting the world enchantment, and then Conspiracy naming Sponge.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Missed opportunity to make Progenitus a World Creature.

Mayostard
Apr 21, 2007

In the Chamber of Understanding
When are they going to bring back Rampage, though?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Mayostard posted:

When are they going to bring back Rampage, though?

Rampage is just confusing Bushido

And if you don't like Craw Giant, gently caress you

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=109748

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

vOv posted:

Actually, I think you can make a World Creature - Sponge. Play any World Enchantment, Opalescence, Darksteel Mutation targeting the world enchantment, and then Conspiracy naming Sponge.

Dammit, I thought backwards, making something notworld a world, instead of making something world have other types.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

vOv posted:

Enchant World still sort-of exists, it's just that World is a supertype now (so in theory you could have World Creature, World Artifact, etc.).
This will be the mechanic that Battle for Zendikar brings back. There will be new eldrazi that interact with the Word supertype (mostly eating them).

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'm curious what they'll replace Annihilator with, considering it's at Storm Scale 8 and regarded as too punishing. Maybe something where you have to connect with your opponent.

Back it up Terry
Nov 20, 2006

I've been out of magic for a long time. Looking at recent winning standard decks. Since when can you build competituve standard decks for ~$200? The top 8 of GP Miami are all under $250.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

I'm curious what they'll replace Annihilator with, considering it's at Storm Scale 8 and regarded as too punishing. Maybe something where you have to connect with your opponent.

Jokulhaupinator

compton rear end terry posted:

I've been out of magic for a long time. Looking at recent winning standard decks. Since when can you build competituve standard decks for ~$200? The top 8 of GP Miami are all under $250.

You can build a fairly competitive deck for <$20 if you do the all-one-drops no-Rabblemasters version of mono red aggro.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

For a few years, Mana Source was a separate card type.

What this actually meant was that Dark Ritual was completely uncounterable for a while. Even a Nether Void that you neglected to pay for would fail to counter Dark Ritual.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

What this actually meant was that Dark Ritual was completely uncountable for a while.

Was that because it was real? :v:

woo extremely bad math jokes

Edit: oh you fixed it :(

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I still don't understand why Tribal is considered a card type and not just a supertype.

Hell, I don't even understand why Bitterblossom needs to have "Tribal" on its line at all to function.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

compton rear end terry posted:

The past few sets haven't had that much in the way of eternal playables I guess? And I guess Khans was opened so much that even the super chase lands are now at a reasonable cost.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Wait, 1 damage interrupts? There's never been an interrupt that dealt damage!

Sudden Shock is pretty close!

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Angry Grimace posted:

I still don't understand why Tribal is considered a card type and not just a supertype.

Hell, I don't even understand why Bitterblossom needs to have "Tribal" on its line at all to function.

So you could reveal it as a faerie for some synergy.

Also, if you use cavern of souls, naming faerie, they cannot counter it.

It makes it even better basically.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Gensuki posted:

So you could reveal it as a faerie for some synergy.

Also, if you use cavern of souls, naming faerie, they cannot counter it.

It makes it even better basically.

I don't understand why it can't have the subtype "Faerie" without the Tribal type. Why can't it just be "Enchantment - Faerie?" Or a supertype (the current super types are "Snow," "World," "Basic", "Legendary," "Snow," and "World.")

(Also, Cavern of Souls only works with creatures. You can't even use the mana from cavern of souls for something that isn't a creature.)

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Mar 13, 2015

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

The past few sets haven't had that much in the way of eternal playables I guess? And I guess Khans was opened so much that even the super chase lands are now at a reasonable cost.

How far are we going back? RTR gave us Abrupt Decay and Deathrite Shaman, as well as shocklands reprints. I'm fairly sure Supreme Verdict and Sphinx's Revelation see some fringe play in modern as well.

Voice of Resurgence is a Hatebears mainstay.

Theros block has Courser, Brimaz, and Keranos, I think Spirit of the Labyrinth saw a little play as well.

Innistrad has some stuff as well if we wanna go back three blocks.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

There's quite a bit of stuff that sees play or has been banned in eternal formats from tarkir block as well.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
There's a mailbag on dailymtg from way back by Kelly Diges which goes in to some detail. More than Maro's podcast episode on tribal. Phone posting so I can't find it, but as I recall the arguments did not seem all that convincing. I.E. if they really wanted to they could have made it a supertype.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Abrupt Decay is the absolute nuts but is in colors you very rarely hear anyone complaining about so it somehow flies under the radar. Oh and Deathrite Shaman is also the nuts and for some reason people were in denial about this and very mad when it ate a Modern ban.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Deck prices are low because so much of khans/theros is active in standard, there's no clear best deck which flattens out card values when it comes to stuff standard players have on hand. It probably costs as much as usual to have as large a chunk of the metagame available to you, but the metagame is pretty drat big atm.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

There's a mailbag on dailymtg from way back by Kelly Diges which goes in to some detail. More than Maro's podcast episode on tribal. Phone posting so I can't find it, but as I recall the arguments did not seem all that convincing. I.E. if they really wanted to they could have made it a supertype.

I'm not a judge, so I don't know the rules down to layers or anything, I just know that it seems like it could be a Supertype for the purposes of that type mattering (e.g. Legendary as a supertype matters all the time) and just have a "subtype" for anything else. I googled it and the answers I found didn't seem all that convincing either (since they weren't explaining the rules conflict very well).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There are apparently good but boring rules reasons why you can't just jam creature subtypes onto things.
http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtgcom/feature/426

Count Bleck posted:

How far are we going back? RTR gave us Abrupt Decay and Deathrite Shaman, as well as shocklands reprints. I'm fairly sure Supreme Verdict and Sphinx's Revelation see some fringe play in modern as well.

Voice of Resurgence is a Hatebears mainstay.

Theros block has Courser, Brimaz, and Keranos, I think Spirit of the Labyrinth saw a little play as well.

Innistrad has some stuff as well if we wanna go back three blocks.
We're talking about standard here, so just Theros, M15 and Khans. There are obviously some eternal playables but not all that many. I guess the fact that there are lots of fairly viable decks all using different cards helps spread out the cost too.

• Locked thread