Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pleads posted:

Any way you can set up a small pump to spurt out fake blood from the cut every time you take a stride?

That's what reebok pumps are for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Pleads posted:

Any way you can set up a small pump to spurt out fake blood from the cut every time you take a stride?

xzzy posted:

That's what reebok pumps are for.

Just rejigger the air bladder to be under my heel so anytime I lean back into it it's all :emo::suicide:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I might throw whatever that stuff is they used to put on the toes of skates?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
That Protect Toe goop?

I'm actually kind surprised my skate even cut into it: thought they were getting a little dull.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
Oh boy...

I pulled the trigger on a brand new set of equipment this week, and I'm switching from goalie to skating out. This should be interesting... I'm looking at building/buying a practice pad for stick handling but god drat to the ready made kits cost a ton. Does anyone know the type of material used for those plastic (or serial number) roll up pads so i can buy it at a hardware store on the cheap? Thanks

Also, wasn't there a google doc of SA hockey players and locations?

elite_garbage_man fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Mar 13, 2015

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

elite_garbage_man posted:

Oh boy...

I pulled the trigger on a brand new set of equipment this week, and I'm switching from goalie to skating out. This should be interesting... I'm looking at building/buying a practice pad for stick handling but god drat to the ready made kits cost a ton. Does anyone know the type of material used for those plastic (or serial number) roll up pads so i can buy it at a hardware store on the cheap? Thanks

I think Home Depot (not Lowes) had a really big melamine board that you can spray with pledge for a slicker surface. I looked a while ago and all of the reviews say it's like a huge cheap whiteboard ($20). Hope you can find it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

And shin guard sizes. Don't forget those.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Don't forget to clock all your ice time so you can populate your spreadsheet.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
hahaha

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
How does anyone skate backwards fast enough to keep decent gap control with someone who is skating forwards?

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Oh boy...

It does not roll, but I recently got one of these as a shooting pad:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-Thrifty-White-32-sq-ft-Hardboard-Panel-Board-709106/202090193

I think HDPE plastic is the other keyword I've seen thrown around so that material may be worth looking in to as well.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

bigbillystyle posted:

Lucky you. I haven't seen a stick under $50 that wasn't wooden for quite some time. I did see that whoever linked to those Black Hockey Sticks a page or so back you can select either grip or non-grip and for $89 for a 100 flex I think I'm going to give them a try for my next stick

Get on the hockey giant/monkey email list and watch for big blow out sales. I picked and Easton Make 3 (I think) for 55 and 2 Graf 65s? for the same...if you get lucky sometimes they will let you use a 15 or 20% off code with them too.

Hockey giant is having a sale right now and the player20 code might knock another 20% off

Confirmed: something like http://www.hockeygiant.com/bau12600gstksr.html then tack on the promo code and its down to 47 and change.

rex rabidorum vires fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 13, 2015

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

prom candy posted:

How does anyone skate backwards fast enough to keep decent gap control with someone who is skating forwards?

Practice.

edit) Real answer:

It isnt about outright speed, the first few strides are the most important to get yourself moving quickly and staying in front of the offensive player. Once you have position and are moving it is all about gap control, you control the speed of the puck carrier with your body position, they cant and wont be skating full speed while trying to control the puck and get around you at the same time.

D C fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 13, 2015

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Bought new shin guards. Thread title confirmed

e: and on the topic of stick talk... how often are those stick mystery packs available, and are they generally worth it? I've been using a wooden stick and want to upgrade but one of the biggest problems facing me is that I'm not good enough nor experienced enough to have developed a preference for any particular curve/lie/flex. I see a mystery pack listed at Hockey Monkey but it's "sold out" and I'm not sure if I would get it anyway considering that it could end up giving me a few sticks that don't even fit me.

Teeter fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 13, 2015

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

D C posted:

Practice.

edit) Real answer:

It isnt about outright speed, the first few strides are the most important to get yourself moving quickly and staying in front of the offensive player. Once you have position and are moving it is all about gap control, you control the speed of the puck carrier with your body position, they cant and wont be skating full speed while trying to control the puck and get around you at the same time.

Gotcha. I'm getting faster/more stable but I definitely need to work on starting quickly backwards. I think the only way I know to get any speed up would be to take a few strides forward and then flip around.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It's all about getting the jump

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

prom candy posted:

Gotcha. I'm getting faster/more stable but I definitely need to work on starting quickly backwards. I think the only way I know to get any speed up would be to take a few strides forward and then flip around.

That's normal for beginners, I do it myself and see people doing it all the time. Sometimes you'll see NHLers do it too so it's not something that fully disappears.

I guess I haven't seen any straight comparisons but I believe that backwards crossovers are the best way to speed up going backwards. This will move you laterally a bit but that can be useful too.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Backwards crossovers to get going, and widen your base a bit while gliding back, like skate blades maybe a fraction wider than your shoulders. Weight slightly forward on your feet so you can still be agile and not get caught flat-footed.

Bend your knees too.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 13, 2015

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I did my first backwards crossover ever about a week ago and did my first one on my bad side earlier today. Today was my first time feeling like the backwards crossover was actually helping me rather than just trying to execute the motion without falling. Just gonna have to do more reps I think and get used to trying (and failing) in-game. I really want to play defense in the long run but I know that's usually reserved for the strongest skaters.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

prom candy posted:

I did my first backwards crossover ever about a week ago and did my first one on my bad side earlier today. Today was my first time feeling like the backwards crossover was actually helping me rather than just trying to execute the motion without falling. Just gonna have to do more reps I think and get used to trying (and failing) in-game. I really want to play defense in the long run but I know that's usually reserved for the strongest skaters.

I hate this strategy (strongest skaters on defense). Put the skaters who want to play D on D, and let that guy who always wants to be 2 ft. away from the opposing net play up. Otherwise you just end up with your comparatively weak and possibly defensively ignorant forwards covering back (...or not) all the time.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It is important to let people who want to play D have a shot at it, it's impossible to learn the technique without experiencing it because there's a lot of judgement calls that have to be made. The skill to know when to pinch or run for the hills is probably more important than top speed going backwards.

I've seen setups with a strong skater and a weak skater working really well, gives a bit of a fallback when the weaker skater messes up.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Well maybe I'll ask to get put on D for a bit when my league starts then. The truth is it's a beginner league so there are probably going to be a lot of bad skaters. I'm just a really conservative player in most sports and I really love the feeling of shutting down plays and keeping my goalie happy. That being said I also like being a pest in front of the opposing net so hopefully I'll get a chance to play a bunch of different spots and see what works.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
You can't match the speed of a forward skating player unless they're a weak skater and you're a strong skater. Obviously still work on your backwards skating speed and agility but more important is trying to read the play better. As a D man, try to read the play a little better and don't take as long making the decision to get back into your zone. Most times I feel that beer league D men hold the offensive blue line way too long and end up getting caught flat footed or beaten in a foot race back to the defensive zone.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
My tips for new guys playing neutral zone D:
  • Don't try to compensate for a lack of faith in your back-skating skills by leaving a bigger gap. All that does is give the forward an unchallenged acceleration lane to beat you wide. If you're gonna get burnt, get burnt while playing proper D.
  • Play between the faceoff dots. If the forward wants to go outside, let them go outside and have to either cut back in or take a bad angle shot. Only chase to the boards if there's a play you know you'll win.
  • If you have to pivot, pivot toward the puck, and don't skate at the forward. Race them to the close post and harass them to the best of your ability without drawing a call.

shyduck posted:

Backwards crossovers to get going, and widen your base a bit while gliding back, like skate blades maybe a fraction wider than your shoulders. Weight slightly forward on your feet so you can still be agile and not get caught flat-footed.

Bend your knees too.

And if you're skating backwards by mostly keeping your legs in place and wiggling your rear end, cut that poo poo out. Strong C cuts.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

prom candy posted:

Well maybe I'll ask to get put on D for a bit when my league starts then. The truth is it's a beginner league so there are probably going to be a lot of bad skaters. I'm just a really conservative player in most sports and I really love the feeling of shutting down plays and keeping my goalie happy. That being said I also like being a pest in front of the opposing net so hopefully I'll get a chance to play a bunch of different spots and see what works.

Work on back/front and front/back transitions too. That was something that I thought I had down until I tried to do it at game speed. I'm sure the goalie loved me falling down and giving up odd man rushes 3-4 times a game.

Verman posted:

As a D man, try to read the play a little better and don't take as long making the decision to get back into your zone. Most times I feel that beer league D men hold the offensive blue line way too long and end up getting caught flat footed or beaten in a foot race back to the defensive zone.

Also 100% this.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Someone told me that if they have the puck and are facing me, bail and defend the breakout. If they're facing down ice and/or are fumbling the puck, feel free to pinch or hold the line. I try to stick to that and it seems to work well.

Obviously there's more to it than that, there's a billion other ways for a play to develop but you just gotta get the reps in to figure out what to do.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Get on the hockey giant/monkey email list and watch for big blow out sales. I picked and Easton Make 3 (I think) for 55 and 2 Graf 65s? for the same...if you get lucky sometimes they will let you use a 15 or 20% off code with them too.

Hockey giant is having a sale right now and the player20 code might knock another 20% off

Confirmed: something like http://www.hockeygiant.com/bau12600gstksr.html then tack on the promo code and its down to 47 and change.

Thanks. Im actually on the hockey monkey list from making past purchases but I am quickly gathering that I'm far behind on all the hockey websites that would be beneficial to my budget.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Here's how to be a good D in a beginner league:

Skate faster than the dude with the puck.

If you can do that, it's golden. It's really as easy as that for beginners. They're usually terrible puck handlers. Forcing them to do anything usually results in a lack of control.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
All pumped up for tomorrow!

quote:

Premium Club Face Off! Saturday March 14th @ TD Garden

Hello,
Thank you for signing up for this Saturday's member only hockey game.

Can you please provide the first and last name of those participating in the member hockey game this Saturday with their hometown, company name and jersey size. (Jersey sizes will be available on a first come first serve basis)

Please park in the front lot of the TD Garden, the entrance is on Causeway Street. To enter the TD Garden please go through the player door toward the back left of the parking lot with your waiver and ticket.

We look forward to seeing on the ice!

Got in through a hockey buddy who holds rich boy seats to give to his clients. :tbear:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
That's cool, Twig! Color me envious. :tbear:

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

EvilTwig posted:

Got in through a hockey buddy who holds rich boy seats to give to his clients. :tbear:
Those are super fun, I did the one the Solar Bears do and while it's no NHL level rink it was still cool as hell.

Also made me realize that pro rinks are a helluva lot warmer to play in than any regular rink because of all the lighting. I don't think I've sweated so much in a game as when we played at Amway.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

That's because they don't run the full ac for you amateur fucks.

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.
sellouts is the uncle who teaches you life lessons by giving you poo poo

i love uncle sellouts

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

EvilTwig posted:

That is awesome, I'm super jealous.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Stadiums are way hotter then normal ice rinks.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Was there a Superfeet discussion in the last dozen pages or so? I seem to be remembering one but didn't see it.

I got a pair of Vapor X90s recently and am curious about if I should invest in them. Anyone have any thoughts?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Superfeet increase your chances of concussion. Don't wear them.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
ABHS stick report. This is the best stick I have ever used. Its also the lightest. I had 3 assists in a 3-0 game. I was able to puck handle more strongly, especially around the boards. Its also an inch shorter than my current other stick.

I'm on the fence about getting it extended. Think I'll give it a few more games. Can't say enough good things.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

DeNofa posted:

Was there a Superfeet discussion in the last dozen pages or so? I seem to be remembering one but didn't see it.

I got a pair of Vapor X90s recently and am curious about if I should invest in them. Anyone have any thoughts?
Superfeet are a good investment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

DeNofa posted:

Are your feet uncomfortable?