Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Both games are pretty awful in that they keep cool stuff away from you until you are quite a ways into the game. I mean, gently caress, you don't get the rope darts until you are about 90% done with the story in AC4. You don't get Brand until you are about 50-60% done with Shadows of Mordor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

If you want parkour then get Dying Light.
This is correct. Really good parkour system, and I think a great game.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I have and played and loved both liked Shadow of Mordor more. I will say that AC4 has way more collectables to find so if you're into that maybe get it instead but other than that I like Shadow of Mordor more.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Real hurthling! posted:

SoM has basically no story. there are characters you do story missions for but none of them are actually linked together into any kind of plot.

That's kinda giving it a bit too little credit. There's this whole "emergent storytelling" aspect to it due to the randomly generated orcs with different personalities. Yeah the game doesn't have a heavily scripted plot but most players will come out of the game with their own stories to tell about memorable orcs that they crossed paths with and how they developed a rivalry with you, or how you engineered their rise to power from the shadows, etc.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Augus posted:

That's kinda giving it a bit too little credit. There's this whole "emergent storytelling" aspect to it due to the randomly generated orcs with different personalities. Yeah the game doesn't have a heavily scripted plot but most players will come out of the game with their own stories to tell about memorable orcs that they crossed paths with and how they developed a rivalry with you, or how you engineered their rise to power from the shadows, etc.

I didn't die much so I mostly just killed the orcs and that was that

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Oh...I guess that's cool too.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Augus posted:

Oh...I guess that's cool too.

It was kind of disappointing because I was reading about these stories of rivalries and stuff and my own experience mostly just involved killing them a couple times without much of an issue

Undead Muppet
Apr 29, 2007

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

That's probably SoM's biggest flaw, and something that needs to be solved for the inevitable SoM2. After about 4 hours in, I don't think I got killed again for the rest of the game, which really undercut the Nemesis system.

SoM2 either needs some kind of dynamic difficulty where it will send stronger, smarter, and more numerous Captains at you if you haven't been killed for a while, or they need to re-think the Nemesis system and have it work off something other than the player's death.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Octodad has both good climbing and good stealth scenes but you can't kill anyone, but you should go with that instead of Mordor or Black Flag.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There's a command you can use in SoM that will advance time and run the army update process without your death if you want to make the opposition more interesting.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I think Dragonball Kai almost didn't finish airing in the US.

Goku v Frieza still takes forever in Kai but the show is way, way more watchable.

It's the opposite actually. They stopped it partway through in Japan but kept it going in the US because it was doing well. I think they eventually went back and finished it in Japan.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Syrinxx posted:

1. Not be horrible poo poo
2. Profit

Well I was gonna say "take their solid gameplay foundations and actually attach a game to it." But yes, essentially.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Unmature posted:

Oh, that end of pirate era bit sounds interesting. I love stuff like that.

I would love more games in that setting. Black Flag was like a nice first course, but I want an entree that doesn't have Animus in it.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Just deleted RE Revelations 2. Nothing in Episode 2 was fun at all. Finally beat the stupid fire guy and just didn't want to play the game any more. Horrible annoying poo poo has no place in a game these days when I can just jump to something way more fun in a matter of seconds.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Is that GoT Telltale game any good? I keep wanting to buy it because the Walking Dead games were awesome and I have this sick love of GoT but I dunno

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Fateo McMurray posted:

Is that GoT Telltale game any good? I keep wanting to buy it because the Walking Dead games were awesome and I have this sick love of GoT but I dunno
I'm sure enjoying it. It's mostly a talk to powerful people and wonder if they're going to kill you afterwards because of something you said wrong kind of game.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I keep being told to play inFamous: Second Son if given a chance. Is it really that huge an improvement over the first two?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

poptart_fairy posted:

I keep being told to play inFamous: Second Son if given a chance. Is it really that huge an improvement over the first two?

Holy poo poo yes

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

poptart_fairy posted:

It's a faster, more frantic game, closer to something like Prototype than the first two were. Less cover shooting, more dashing around trying to stay alive until you get an opening to take a shot.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

There's cover in Second Son? More like Always Be Running and Gunning.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I played First Light a little and it feels a lot like the older games but more polished, can't imagine the full game is much different. It's pretty much what you'd expect from a decent launch title.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
second son is not only the first infamous game I've finished, but also the first one I played twice, it's a lot more fun to play in general and I liked the story a lot more, even if the evil path is mostly poo poo and (don't do the evil path)

it's real short though and even the side stuff is done with pretty quick, it's a weekend game at best

I've been curious about this for a while, but with the details of firmware 2.5 being released and suspend/resume being added, I thought I'd ask...what the hell is suspend/resume? I hear people crying out for it all the time yet I have no idea what it even is

edit: oh wait, it's the same thing the vita does when you put it in sleep mode? that's kinda neat I suppose

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The original Infamous game lost my interest quickly due to how tedious and "generic third person shooter"-y the combat could get, but I played the demo for Infamous First Light and loved how fast and action-packed it was.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Pretty much. It makes rest mode like putting a computer or handheld to sleep rather than just making turning it back on slightly faster.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

I felt like I was just constantly getting my rear end kicked and on the verge of death in infamous. I always had the grayish screen and getting all serious music going, but I usually made it through somehow.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Infamous Second Son really is the stereotypical launch title.

It isn't a BAD game, it's competently made, a fun diversion and with how few titles are around post-launch it's SOMETHING to play but will very well be forgotten once the big AAA titles start hitting in the next 1-2 years.. Infamous 2 was the peak of the series and SS really is a safe sequel. The only real complaint I have is once you get the Light conduit power I never went back to Smoke because it made city-travelling a LOT easier (no more trying to find vents to get to rooftops) and the insta-kill headshots and that massive ultra-attack that clears rooms make it laughable overpowered.

I took advantage of Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus New N Tasty being free on PS+ and I seriously am loving this game and hopefully Lorne Lanning gets that Stick of Pretension out of his rear end and makes more Oddworld games because I've been a fan of this universe since junior high. I can't believe we haven't seen and Oddworld game, before New N Tasty, in almost 10 years because Lanning was pissy at EA. It feels very refined, hones your puzzle-solving skills easier and the easier difficulty options are going to make newbies getting into this series less frustrated.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Augus posted:

The original Infamous game lost my interest quickly due to how tedious and "generic third person shooter"-y the combat could get, but I played the demo for Infamous First Light and loved how fast and action-packed it was.

Infamous 2 is also much better than the original. Give it a look as well.

Justin Godscock posted:

Infamous Second Son really is the stereotypical launch title.

It isn't a BAD game, it's competently made, a fun diversion and with how few titles are around post-launch it's SOMETHING to play but will very well be forgotten once the big AAA titles start hitting in the next 1-2 years.. Infamous 2 was the peak of the series and SS really is a safe sequel. The only real complaint I have is once you get the Light conduit power I never went back to Smoke because it made city-travelling a LOT easier (no more trying to find vents to get to rooftops) and the insta-kill headshots and that massive ultra-attack that clears rooms make it laughable overpowered.

Neon was probably the favoured powerset of everyone, myself included, if they were willing to turn out (an admittedly pretty decent) sidegame based around it. Hell, First Light fixed the problem of the Blast power being single-shot by turning into a Video-style torrent burst, and let you run even faster by boosting off Neon Clouds that were everywhere in the city :rice:.

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
Chaser of the stray sea-life, clad in a trench and a fedora.

Fateo McMurray posted:

I'm currently a bit miffed about Telltale games since the wait between the first and the second episode for Tales from the Borderlands will be almost four months. Apparently GoT is releasing a bit faster though.

I can understand the long wait for something like Kentucky Round Zero which is done by a couple of guys, but Telltale series are losing momentum by the infrequent releases.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Static Rook posted:

Just deleted RE Revelations 2. Nothing in Episode 2 was fun at all. Finally beat the stupid fire guy and just didn't want to play the game any more. Horrible annoying poo poo has no place in a game these days when I can just jump to something way more fun in a matter of seconds.

I didn't delete it yet but I couldn't bring myself to finish episode 2 either. I don't know if episode one was any better or if I just hadn't caught on to what a crappy game it was yet, but somewhere in episode 2 it started to feel like the laziest piece of junk. The quality dive from the first game is huge and it's really obvious they just slapped it together to try and cash in. Even Raid Mode has absolutely no thought into it, even if it's fun for a little bit because of it's loot hoarding and random recycled locations.

Capcom sucks poo poo. I should have learned my lesson to wait on anything they release at this point.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I cannot bring myself to boot up Rev 2 after completing episode 1, like I have zero enthusiasm for it and even loving around with HUNK in Raid Mode seemingly can't break me out of it.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

NESguerilla posted:

I didn't delete it yet but I couldn't bring myself to finish episode 2 either. I don't know if episode one was any better or if I just hadn't caught on to what a crappy game it was yet, but somewhere in episode 2 it started to feel like the laziest piece of junk. The quality dive from the first game is huge and it's really obvious they just slapped it together to try and cash in. Even Raid Mode has absolutely no thought into it, even if it's fun for a little bit because of it's loot hoarding and random recycled locations.

Capcom sucks poo poo. I should have learned my lesson to wait on anything they release at this point.

I understand that you might not like the game, but saying it's lazy feels really off-base to me. I don't think that every bit of it is perfect, but I'm impressed that Capcom is at least trying new things out – the episodic release structure, countdown mode, stealth, two time periods, characters with non-traditional weapons, etc. None of it is some kind of revolution for gaming at large, but it's all new blood for the series.

I played through Revelations 1 two or three times, and this really doesn't feel like a step down for me. Rev 1 had an unnecessarily-jumbled story because you were always switching characters – all of whom basically played exactly the same way. Jill on the boat was great, but every time I had to kill 400 hunters as Parker or gently caress around as Quint and Keith I groaned. I still liked the game as a whole, but I think if you cut off at least a third you wouldn't miss anything. Revelations 2 seems way more focused, and I'm honestly curious about the story.

I've seen a lot of people gripe that it's a cash grab, which seems kind of unfair, honestly. You can get the whole game for $25 and you'll get 10x the gameplay as The Order or whatever. If they were just trying to make money without effort, they easily could have forgot about any kind of story and sold raid on its own with a bunch of old characters like they did with Mercenaries on the 3DS. Like I said, it certainly has its problems, but I'm happy that they're at least attempting to explore something fresh.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Fateo McMurray posted:

If you liked the Walking Dead games it's be hard to imagine you not liking the GoT ones.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It feels lazy to me because the environments are bland and empty and repetitive. The time shift is novel, but is mostly just an excuse to run through the environments twice and pad out the length. The encounter design is also frustrating and bad and half of them feel over long just to add some time to the game. Episode 2 was especially guilty of this. Raid mode feels like they didn't put any effort into it. It's a bunch of small, unremarkable recycled areas from past games stocked with 40 or so enemies. There's no challenge. it's just pure grind. You could sort of say the same about the first game, but at least the areas sectioned off for raid were large and fun and usually built up to something like a boss.

The first game had a dumb story, but at least it was consistently entertaining and had a ton of variety in scenery and enemies. 2 just feels bland and souless to me. Feels like shovelware imo. Every aspect of it just feels like a really low effort game.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I have both AC 4 (first AC game I've ever played more than just loving around at a friend's house) and Shadow of Mordor. Finished Black Flag, just started SoM recently. I'm apparently in the minority but so far I'd definitely give it to Black Flag.

The AC series is obviously a lot fresher to me than it is to a lot of people and it's the closest thing I've found to a new version of Sid Meier's Pirates!.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Fateo McMurray posted:

On a technical level it's a mess, and the worst Telltale game since they rebooted themselves with TWD.

In terms of the story, it's definitely worth a look. Maybe when it's all out at a cheaper price, but at least play it eventually.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKptPGvUhfQ

Yep, Bloodborne looks sweet.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Manatee Cannon posted:

I played First Light a little and it feels a lot like the older games but more polished, can't imagine the full game is much different. It's pretty much what you'd expect from a decent launch title.

I don't think I'm the only one who preferred First Light. I thought the story was tighter and really enjoyed the arena challenges. I'd recommend someone starting there since it's cheaper, but if they like it, they shouldn't hesitate buying the other.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
PS :australia: store says bloodborne releases on 24th while in stores its the 25th. Its also the same price to preorder on PSN as it is to buy retail which is rare so I'm considering doing it. Do PSN games preload and what time of day do the games usually unlock?

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011
Pretty much all preorders preload and they activate at midnight on release day in your region.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
While my other games take up 20 MB of space to backup savegames, Dragon Age takes up 900 and eats up all my (1 GB?) PS+ quota. Nothing is going to happen locally, if I delete the online backup, right?

• Locked thread