Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
drat, I bought this game on monday and played it for hours, it's really amazing. Yesterday I had leveled a couple of heroes to 3 and 4 and it almost felt like the game was becoming to easy. As in, I could clear two medium dungeons in a row with the same party - Highwayman, Graverobber, Hellion, Hellion - no torches and all. My biggest enemy became the limited inventory space, the bane of my existence in every game that has an inventory.
So this morning I played another medium dungeon with said party and now one Hellion and the Highwayman are in the Graveyard. First, a couple of bandits appear and the huge guy started the fight by scoring two crits on his Point Blank shots in a row on the same character, his little gun friend did the rest before I could react. Right at the end of the fight, my Highwayman is put at death's door with the enemies last attack and he's bleeding now. I forget about the bleeding and try to enter the next room so I can rest, and of course the very first bleed tick kills my hero. Darkest Dungeon!

Anyway, I like playing without a healer and just four damage machines, always in the dark.

I'm curious how the game would change if the bleed/blight mechanic worked differently, doing damage at the end of a turn instead of at the beginning. I had a guy die because he was put at death's door with a bleeding attack and he was the next character to act, but the bleeding outright killed him before I could do anything. If an monster kills him because it was faster and I don't have a healer in my party, that's fine. But like that, it's very frustrating. I had bandages for that exact reason.
On the other hand, enemies would be more difficult because they would get an attack off before dying. Right now, I will know that an enemy will bleed to death before he can do anything so I don't have to worry about him and can focus on his monster friends. Some fights feel very easy because of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!
If it's any indication of roguelikes they're not going to be customizable. Just there so you can get really attached to your blueberry Occultist before he gets wiped by two spiders and a maggot.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Did they stealth nerf the vomit pigs? I've not had any of my heroes get diseases from them in a long time.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Captain Invictus posted:

Did they stealth nerf the vomit pigs? I've not had any of my heroes get diseases from them in a long time.
I think they are just for stress damage now. I don't recall them ever proccing blight anymore, and I've only gotten Bad Humors from them once.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.
I'm learning now that the long dungeons are more appealing when you have upgraded everything and don't need paintings and coats of arms anymore. You can haul a lot of money out without even finishing the mission by dropping everything that can't be sold or used.

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

Fought the Wizened hag for the first time and lost my Occultist to the pot. Sorry buddy, but we got her in no time. My Crusader kept lancing her and the Jester/Gravedigger tag team had no problem hitting her behind the pot. Quickly refilled the position with some chump in my Crusader, Grave Robber, Jester, Occultist team and took out the Necromancer Apprentice next.

I guess the next step is to go kill some pigs in the warrens? I tested the waters on some apprentice runs with a few level 1 and 0 heroes I had laying around and they got murdered. Then I sent a team of plague doctors in and learned the hard way not to field blight in there.

Baiku fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Mar 12, 2015

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Bleed for pigs; they bleed like well, stuck pigs.

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)
Lost my first person in a while last night. It is entirely my fault. My level 3 Crusader was at Death's Door and I could have abandoned the mission, but I figured, there's only one room left, I'll chance it. I forgot that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer...

On the plus side, I learned that for the "explore 90% of rooms" missions, you don't actually have to fight the room battles. I ran from the fight after my Crusader ate it, and once I got back the hallway I got the notification that I had successfully beaten the mission. I mean it makes sense, I was in the room briefly so I did explore it, it just didn't occur to me that it worked that way.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Speaking of objectives, fun tips for Beat the Boss missions! You don't have to finish the fight. Currently this only really matters for the last Necromancer, but if you kill him, then run without killing all the skeletons, it's still considered as completed.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

HGH posted:

Speaking of objectives, fun tips for Beat the Boss missions! You don't have to finish the fight. Currently this only really matters for the last Necromancer, but if you kill him, then run without killing all the skeletons, it's still considered as completed.

Do the skeletons not die after you kill the Necromancer? I always wipe them out on the same turn, but from the line the Narrator gives, it sounded like they were supposed to crumble afterwards.

may contain peanuts posted:

On the plus side, I learned that for the "explore 90% of rooms" missions, you don't actually have to fight the room battles. I ran from the fight after my Crusader ate it, and once I got back the hallway I got the notification that I had successfully beaten the mission. I mean it makes sense, I was in the room briefly so I did explore it, it just didn't occur to me that it worked that way.

You know, it occurs to me that this could be a really good way to quickly level up parties that don't work very well together or are full of less offensively powerful characters. Take exploration missions, run from any room battle you don't need to beat to get to the next unexplored room, and just rush through as fast as you can.

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
Colors! Finally. It's such a minor feature but I was really, really hoping it wouldn't take long.

I'm particularly looking forward to the next few updates because the new options will make it so you can't possibly have one of every class without upgrading your barracks a bunch. I think tough decisions are nice.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
Just checking in, are we as a group ready to admit yet that despite the great art and excellent mood and setting, this game is an unfun poorly designed piece of poo poo or are we still telling ourselves this was a good purchase?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

how me a frog posted:

Just checking in, are we as a group ready to admit yet that despite the great art and excellent mood and setting, this game is an unfun poorly designed piece of poo poo or are we still telling ourselves this was a good purchase?

You could, as an individual, just say you don't like it V:shobon:V

I feel like it totally justifies it's $20 price tag, even with it being early access

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

how me a frog posted:

What a hilariously bitter, passive aggressive post. Remember, opinions are subjective, not objective!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

how me a frog posted:

:frogout:

People like you really shouldn't buy into early access. You have only yourself to blame, really.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I feel the broad strokes of the design are generally quite good. There are horrendously gaping flaws in the details, but these are quite fixable.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Obviously we're all just deluding ourselves into liking this game to get over the pain of losing 20 whole dollars!!! :byodood:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

how me a frog posted:

please, tell me more

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

how me a frog posted:

Maybe 4chan is more your speed.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I like this bad game

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

how me a frog posted:

lmao

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Bought and donloaded this last night and already, I'm hooked. I started it up thinking I'd just do a couple tutorial missions so that I know what I'm doing when I get some more free time. 90 minutes later I'm still playing with no idea how much time has gone by and a party of 4 that are on the brink of disaster.

The art is great.

The narrator is amazing.

I know it's early access, but to me it already feels like a great game and I've only played a few missions.

This may just be one of the best purchases I've recently made on Steam.

e: Also - Lepers are so much fun - they really mix things up from a gameplay perspective, and just their attitude compared to the other characters is magical.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

how me a frog posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3697943&userid=208264

e:

how me a frog posted:

If a woman can be named Bernaul then a man can be named Lucy. Youre seeing meaning in absolute random chance. Characters are named after a very limited pool of names completely randomly. Quirks are entirely random as well currently.
what is joke? how is humor formed

Jackard fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 13, 2015

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

PotatoManJack posted:

The narrator is amazing.
I've put quite a bit of time into the game and I'm DAZED...REELING...ABOUT TO BREAK from hearing the same lines over and over. If they recorded maybe twice as many incidental dialogues for the narrator it'd drastically improve the flow of his quotes. As it is, a single line of dialogue for every single piece of rubble in each separate zone gets pretty grating after a while. Making it so he only says one A DECISIVE STRIKE! A TERRIBLE BLOW! etc after multi-hit crits would improve things quite a bit as well. It might sound like I'm asking a lot to double the amount of dialogue, but there really isn't that much variety to it as there initially seems. There's maybe 3-4 lines for being in town, 2-3 for finishing a given mission, etc.

Also they really need to re-record the line for rubble blockages in the weald. It's so loving bad.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

I listen to shifty techno the whole time or adventure time, I don't know why you'd listen to the game after 4 hours. However, I would pay 20$ for any game that can match the first four hours of this game. If only money could pay for better game design.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

I've put quite a bit of time into the game and I'm DAZED...REELING...ABOUT TO BREAK from hearing the same lines over and over. If they recorded maybe twice as many incidental dialogues for the narrator it'd drastically improve the flow of his quotes. As it is, a single line of dialogue for every single piece of rubble in each separate zone gets pretty grating after a while. Making it so he only says one A DECISIVE STRIKE! A TERRIBLE BLOW! etc after multi-hit crits would improve things quite a bit as well. It might sound like I'm asking a lot to double the amount of dialogue, but there really isn't that much variety to it as there initially seems. There's maybe 3-4 lines for being in town, 2-3 for finishing a given mission, etc.

Also they really need to re-record the line for rubble blockages in the weald. It's so loving bad.

You know you can turn off narration, right?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Anyway, I played this for about 25 hours, which is amazing for an Early Access game.

That said, the lack of new content since Feb 3rd is seriously disheartening. There have been plenty of updates but the vast majority have contained small fixes and minor balance changes. At this rate I wonder how many Early Access players will bother coming back for release, since there are so many other games competing for people's attention these days.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

enraged_camel posted:

Yeah, but it sounds weird without it.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Captain Invictus posted:

Too repetitive to live, too flavorful to die? I can kinda see where you're coming from, but I personally don't mind the current voicing. Granted, I haven't binged like crazy on this game, but even still, I'd totally appreciate more voice-variety because I think I could quote most of what the narrator has to say at this point.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

I'd actually say the exact opposite, but to each his own. :)

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

enraged_camel posted:

Anyway, I played this for about 25 hours, which is amazing for an Early Access game.

That said, the lack of new content since Feb 3rd is seriously disheartening. There have been plenty of updates but the vast majority have contained small fixes and minor balance changes. At this rate I wonder how many Early Access players will bother coming back for release, since there are so many other games competing for people's attention these days.

Devs did mention that stuff like GDC and Pax have siphoned their development time, and now that the convention rush is over they should be focusing on actual content now.

That being said, I do agree that new content really should come asap. I binged 30 hours after buying this game and now I realize all I have left is kill the 3rd tier of the same bosses and/or get everyone to lvl 6.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Anyone else noticed how similar the mission end screen is between this game and Dawn of War 2's campaign's, both visually and auditorily?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

gigawhite posted:

I like this bad game

Yeah, false gaming consciousness owns pretty hard, imo.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

enraged_camel posted:

Actually the epic memes this game is creating should be nurtured and loved.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

how me a frog posted:

paranoid randroid posted:

Yeah, false gaming consciousness owns pretty hard, imo.

I play this game while cutting myself, it's great

Best game ever 10/10 would despair of all hope again

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

how me a frog posted:

just checking in, do you still play DOTA because lol at your 500+ games playing such an unfun poorly designed piece of poo poo

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
The problem with Darkest Dungeon is that it doesn't give you enough opportunities to tell some piece human being to kill themselves for feeding mid.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Still lovin' this screengrab.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

A.o.D. posted:

The problem with Darkest Dungeon is that it doesn't give you enough opportunities to tell some piece human being to kill themselves for feeding mid.

I describe darkest dungeon as a dota party simulator.

YOU ARE ALL CONSPIRING AGAINST ME *disables help in console*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

I don't know if it's intentional or not but if a Vestal becomes irrational she never stops talking.