Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Vegetable posted:

Is there a difference between "All [object] are not created equal" and "Not all [object] are created equal"?
These can be expressed logically. It's been a while but I think this is close?
The first is ∀(x) ¬Q(x)
The second is ¬(∃(x) Q(x))

https://rip94550.wordpress.com/2010/04/19/logic-all-and-some/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

That helped to determine it's the E7Xe. You would think that would help, but the manual covers about a dozen models and doesn't discuss the screen in question at all. Hard to believe a $7000 machine has such poo poo instructions.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

smackfu posted:

That helped to determine it's the E7Xe. You would think that would help, but the manual covers about a dozen models and doesn't discuss the screen in question at all. Hard to believe a $7000 machine has such poo poo instructions.
I'm totally guessing the incline has two indicators because of the rolling hill or interval thing, like current and maximum incline, maybe? Or current and next incline? The wedge could give you a zigzag preview in that mode with the red stripe in the middle indicating which part of your program you're in. Plucking that out of the air though. Or red indicator corresponding with red stripe incline, white with white.

I don't know. Manual is garbage indeed.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Vegetable posted:

Is there a difference between "All [object] are not created equal" and "Not all [object] are created equal"?

See also: splitting verbs.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Vegetable posted:

To a lot of people, it's kind of ambiguous, but I don't think it should be.

There's a way more famous example: "All that glitters is not gold." To my mind, that wording means that if it glitters, it's not gold. (Or, every member of the set "glitters" is absent from the set "gold".) Which is not what the saying actually means, of course. It would be more accurately said: "Not all that glitters is gold".

Yes, yes, saying it that way around would have screwed up the meter a little. Cry me a river, Shakespeare. :colbert:

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
What do you call those ropes/straps that hikers use to tie a sleeping bag to the top of their packs?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I bought a new T-shirt about two weeks ago. It seemed like decent quality, not terrible thin fabric or anything. When taking it out of the washing machine just now I noticed that there's a small but very noticeable hole in the back of it. Is it something to do with the quality of the T-shirt or did I do something wrong with it or is it just bad luck? I've literally only worn it twice and nothing untoward happened to it while I was wearing it. Could it be moths or something?

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
A friend of mine is looking into filing a worker's comp claim, but is concerned about her medical records becoming public record. Any idea what records are made public in these cases, i.e. how much personal information is going to be out there if she files? Thanks.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Organza Quiz posted:

I bought a new T-shirt about two weeks ago. It seemed like decent quality, not terrible thin fabric or anything. When taking it out of the washing machine just now I noticed that there's a small but very noticeable hole in the back of it. Is it something to do with the quality of the T-shirt or did I do something wrong with it or is it just bad luck? I've literally only worn it twice and nothing untoward happened to it while I was wearing it. Could it be moths or something?

Last time this happened to my family we just took the shirt back to the place where we bought it. Got a replacement shirt of the same pattern and size that lasted much longer. Looks like you got the lemon in that batch of shirts, is all.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

I carpool with a coworker that lives 5 minutes from me to a job that's 1 to 1.5 hours each way. We use her car (my wife and I have one car, she uses it to drive to work) and she drives in the morning, I drive 2/3s of the time at night. I have enough seniority at work that I get a parking spot in the building whenever someone is sick, on vacation, etc., but not everyday (3/5 of the time), and am able to give her the parking space even when I telework once a week; parking at a nearby public garage is otherwise $15 a day. I give her $20 in gas money on weeks we don't have a spot.
When I don't ride with her because she is out, I ride a commuter bus that takes about 2 hrs each way and costs $8.50 roundtrip.
Riding with her I save about $116 a month (four commuting days in a four-week month + $20) and she saves about $200 ($180 in parking, $20 for the "no free parking" portion), but it's still her car that's getting the mileage. I don't know how to calculate accurately the cost in gas (
I think this is a fair trade, but I'm not sure if I should be giving her more cash on parkingspotless days, or supplementing with cash on days we park in-building for free. Any opinions?
Edit: I probably add about $15 in gas costs a month since I only live about 1.5 miles away.

The Aphasian fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Mar 13, 2015

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

The Aphasian posted:

I carpool with a coworker that lives 5 minutes from me to a job that's 1 to 1.5 hours each way. We use her car (my wife and I have one car, she uses it to drive to work) and she drives in the morning, I drive 2/3s of the time at night. I have enough seniority at work that I get a parking spot in the building whenever someone is sick, on vacation, etc., but not everyday (3/5 of the time), and am able to give her the parking space even when I telework once a week; parking at a nearby public garage is otherwise $15 a day. I give her $20 in gas money on weeks we don't have a spot.
When I don't ride with her because she is out, I ride a commuter bus that takes about 2 hrs each way and costs $8.50 roundtrip.
Riding with her I save about $116 a month (four commuting days in a four-week month + $20) and she saves about $200 ($180 in parking, $20 for the "no free parking" portion), but it's still her car that's getting the mileage. I don't know how to calculate accurately the cost in gas (
I think this is a fair trade, but I'm not sure if I should be giving her more cash on parkingspotless days, or supplementing with cash on days we park in-building for free. Any opinions?
Edit: I probably add about $15 in gas costs a month since I only live about 1.5 miles away.

Just run your dilemma through this equation.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

The Aphasian posted:

I believe the US federal amount that an employer has to pay if you use your car for company purposes is somewhere around $.53/mile. You could go by that as it is supposed to pay for the gas and help with wear and tear.

Otherwise if you like this person and want to continue to have these rides when necessary you could just give her a portion of your savings. If you are saving $116/month you could give her another $30-40/month and still be saving a lot. Even at $40 you are still saving $75.

Don't just look at the gas cost, her time, wear and tear on the vehicle and your time (not having to take public transport) should all be a factor too.

Edit: Looks like it is actually 57.5 cents a mile now.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Flipperwaldt posted:

I'm totally guessing the incline has two indicators because of the rolling hill or interval thing, like current and maximum incline, maybe? Or current and next incline? The wedge could give you a zigzag preview in that mode with the red stripe in the middle indicating which part of your program you're in. Plucking that out of the air though. Or red indicator corresponding with red stripe incline, white with white.

I don't know. Manual is garbage indeed.

I figured out one part! The red bar in the middle of the two orange ones is the indication of how much of the workout is complete. At the start, there's no red bar, and at the end, it's all red.

The angle of the wedge is still a mystery. I think it might be related to the incline %, but not in any obvious way.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
It looks to me like it's supposed to represent the imaginary path you're waking on, and it's going off into the distance.

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

Trastion posted:

I believe the US federal amount that an employer has to pay if you use your car for company purposes is somewhere around $.53/mile. You could go by that as it is supposed to pay for the gas and help with wear and tear.

Edit: Looks like it is actually 57.5 cents a mile now.

The employer is not required to pay that mileage amount, that is the rate an individual can claim as a deduction on her or his income tax return for unreimbursed use of a personal automobile for business purposes.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
How fast can a earth mover (like this one) go if there was no payload?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

JohnnyHildo posted:

The employer is not required to pay that mileage amount, that is the rate an individual can claim as a deduction on her or his income tax return for unreimbursed use of a personal automobile for business purposes.

Yep. A lot of employers do use the IRS estimate, though, because it's a third-party benchmark.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Skunkrocker posted:

That wikipedia page says 40 mph

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Our TV had severe solarization issues earlier this year. For two months, only dark scenes were vaguely watchable, anything remotely lit would be blown out in bright yellows, reds, and whites.

then one day it was better.

Why would it get better all of a sudden?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Skunkrocker posted:

It's literally on the same page you linked.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

dokmo posted:

That wikipedia page says 40 mph

Motronic posted:

It's literally on the same page you linked.

To be completely fair, he asked for unloaded max speed and the wikipedia page specifies loaded speed.

That said, I think the unloaded max speed would be within a few miles per hour of those figures although I have no source to back that up.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

Disharmony posted:

What do you call those ropes/straps that hikers use to tie a sleeping bag to the top of their packs?

Not sure if there's a specific name for them if they are separate, but many packs I've seen and used come with the straps already attached to the pack for that very purpose. If you're looking to buy some, ask for or google pack strap, quick release, buckle, pod strap, etc. There will be online stores that come up in your search result that have what you're looking for but with very generic names like "nylon strap with quick release."

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

What do you call that psychological phenomenon where prisoners start liking the people who are imprisoning them

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DNova posted:

To be completely fair, he asked for unloaded max speed and the wikipedia page specifies loaded speed.

That said, I think the unloaded max speed would be within a few miles per hour of those figures although I have no source to back that up.

Unloaded vs loaded are the same. It just takes longer to get there loaded.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Vegetable posted:

What do you call that psychological phenomenon where prisoners start liking the people who are imprisoning them

Stockholm Syndrome

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

DNova posted:

Stockholm Syndrome
Gotcha, thanks!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Are burnouts a real psychological condition?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

No they're something you do to show off your cool car to hot babes.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

Chronic marijuana use, especially in teenage and early 20s years, has been linked to permanent long term memory reduction among other negative outcomes. There is a growing body of unbiased research on the matter. It's nowhere near as bad as D.A.R.E. would have liked us to believe, though.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I mean people being exhausted by work that they burnout. Is that just a state of mind or a real psychological condition?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Kurtofan posted:

I mean people being exhausted by work that they burnout. Is that just a state of mind or a real psychological condition?

Stress causes all sorts of dramatic and well-studied physiological problems. "Burnout" is a product of stress over extended periods. Whether burnout is actually a condition doesn't sound like it should matter, because chronic stress is pretty well understood and many jobs do that to people.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

Kurtofan posted:

It's a psychological term, not a diagnosed condition. You would probably get a diagnosis of Axis I depression with job burnout under Axis IV, with depression being the primary diagnosis/condition and burnout being the thing that's causing it.

(Edit to clarify): If you showed up to a psychologist and said you were feeling sad or anxious because your job was burning you out, you would likely end up with a clinical diagnosis of depression/anxiety or whatever (Axis I being the primary condition that needs treatment) related to job burnout (Axis IV being the environmental factor contributing to the primary diagnosis). You would be treated for the condition of depression/anxiety, but burnout could be the thing that's causing it in the first place. Don't know if that makes it more or less confusing.

Koivunen fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 13, 2015

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

Oh.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Vegetable posted:

The Copenhagen Condition

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Koivunen posted:

It's a psychological term, not a diagnosed condition. You would probably get a diagnosis of Axis I depression with job burnout under Axis IV, with depression being the primary diagnosis/condition and burnout being the thing that's causing it.

(Edit to clarify): If you showed up to a psychologist and said you were feeling sad or anxious because your job was burning you out, you would likely end up with a clinical diagnosis of depression/anxiety or whatever (Axis I being the primary condition that needs treatment) related to job burnout (Axis IV being the environmental factor contributing to the primary diagnosis). You would be treated for the condition of depression/anxiety, but burnout could be the thing that's causing it in the first place. Don't know if that makes it more or less confusing.

A bit, but thanks anyway. I get the gist of it.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Burnout is also often used in lieu of depression because it carries less of a mental health stigma. It's easier to sell to employers and colleagues who still might have convictions that depression is like being extra sad or being weak and that it's a matter of cheering up or sacking up. Easier to say that you've been working too hard. Nobody's going to think worse of you for that.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Flipperwaldt posted:

Easier to say that you've been working too hard. Nobody's going to think worse of you for that.

Except for your employer, clearly you're trying to ruin his business by claiming a 14-hour workday is 'Too hard'!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I don't really see job related "burnout" as depression. I always took it to be more of an angry and on edge all the time sort of thing. I had a job where after a year I was this huge stressed out ball of rear end in a top hat and had a huge chip on my shoulder. I had trouble sleeping, would have like "phantom email syndrome" where I would hear/feel my phone go off all the time, poo poo like that. I quit and was back to my annoyingly chipper self in like 24 hours after I gave notice.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If I want to find an internet weirdo to see how much info he can dig up on me, who would I hire and how much? Are there special consultants who will help me hide that info, or info that isn't me but shows up close to me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

bunnielab posted:

I don't really see job related "burnout" as depression. I always took it to be more of an angry and on edge all the time sort of thing. I had a job where after a year I was this huge stressed out ball of rear end in a top hat and had a huge chip on my shoulder. I had trouble sleeping, would have like "phantom email syndrome" where I would hear/feel my phone go off all the time, poo poo like that. I quit and was back to my annoyingly chipper self in like 24 hours after I gave notice.

I just used depression as an example. Sounds like you were more anxious. The point is, being burned out can cause a variety of psychological ailments, but the primary diagnosis would be something that you aim to treat, like anxiety or depression. Treatment being therapy or drugs or learning to deal with/quitting your job. Burnout could cause you anxiety, insomnia, stress, depression, etc, but would not be the primary diagnosis. That's where the Axis stuff comes in. You could very well know that you are miserable because of burnout, but the actual diagnosis would be what your symptoms reflect.