Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Organza Quiz posted:

I recently moved to a place with a large back yard and we're planning on having a housewarming party in a couple of weeks. I also have a cat who is not allowed outside, even into the back yard since she could escape it in a multitude of directions if she wanted to. There are going to be too many people to all crowd inside the house and the idea is that we use the back yard area as well as inside, but I'm pretty worried about the ability of 40-odd people, many of whom I've never met before (housemates' friends), to manage to close doors and generally make sure the cat doesn't get outside during the party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Majorian posted:

We haven't been measuring the dry food, but it's usually around a cup in the bowl when we fill it. She's really irregular about when she eats, though. She won't eat for a while, but then she'll wolf a half-cup down all of a sudden. For the wet food, we give her half a can in the morning, then put the other half in the fridge and ideally feed her in the evening.

we feed our cats solid gold indigo moon food, and a cup is enough for 3 cats for half a day. you should probably feed your cat like 2/3rds or so of a cup per day (if it's got a similar caloric content). for the record that was true when we had 10,14 and a 16 pound cat (we also feed them half a can of wet food a day) so you might be giving your cat too much. It's better to make your cat wait for meal times, then give a rationed, normal amount each time. Like feed the cat 1/3rd of a cup in the morning and 1/3rd in the evening. (adjust amounts as appropriate, but the full amount I feed my cats maintained their weight... we now feed them the same amount but the 16 pound cat was replaced by a fast growing 5 pound kitten)

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Organza Quiz posted:

I recently moved to a place with a large back yard and we're planning on having a housewarming party in a couple of weeks. I also have a cat who is not allowed outside, even into the back yard since she could escape it in a multitude of directions if she wanted to. There are going to be too many people to all crowd inside the house and the idea is that we use the back yard area as well as inside, but I'm pretty worried about the ability of 40-odd people, many of whom I've never met before (housemates' friends), to manage to close doors and generally make sure the cat doesn't get outside during the party. She's generally a timid creature around loud groups of people so I'm hoping she'll just stay in a bedroom the whole time or something but I'm not convinced she will, especially when she realises people are outside. I guess this is more of a question about human nature than cats but has anyone got ideas for impressing on people that they shouldn't let her out beyond plastering the door with KEEP CLOSED DO NOT LET CAT OUT? Have people done similar things without disastrous results and am I worrying about nothing? In my last place she was allowed out because she couldn't escape the back yard and I'm not used to keeping an entirely indoor cat.

Do not trust people you don't know with your cat. Someone who we'd previously trusted to be our petsitter left the door open during a party once and the cats escaped.
Double post apology!

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
i know its like the eternal question but is 1/2 a cup of Instinct Grain-Free Dry Cat Food by Nature's Variety and 2 oz of Wellness Complete Health Natural Grain Free Wet Canned Cat Food, Beef and Salmon Recipe too much for a ~10 lb cat? I feel like it's too much, but we haven't had her long enough to really tell for sure.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Maybe a little, depending on how active your cat is. My cat Pete's a little over 9lbs and he gets about 1/2 cup of dry per day, so your cat's portion doesn't sound too crazy.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
She's spayed, moderately active. We play with her every single day, usually a few times (3+ if we're home all day), she's always climbing up on stuff & walking around. I'm sure she sleeps a lot more when we aren't home.

I guess we'll just keep an eye on her, maybe bring it down a bit on the kibble and see how she does. As long as it's not like "holy poo poo dude, she should get 1/4 cup max"

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
"Cats Prefer ‘Cat Music,’ New Study Says". :allears: :shrug:

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Question about dental hygiene.

We've got a 6 year old cat, Monty. He's a good little bugger. One of his teeth fell out about 6 months ago. It was one of the four "big ones". We just found it in our bed. We called up the vet and he seemed to think it wasn't worth any concern.

Anyway, his yearly checkup came around and after the vet poked around for a bit, it was recommended that we get his teeth cleaned "at some point". It was put to us as something we should be doing and not necessarily something he needed right away or anything. They gave us an estimate for the procedure and it came out to something like 700 bucks, which just seemed a little crazy.

Apart from his one tooth coming out, there haven't been any real concerns for him, healthwise.

What do you all know about dental hygiene for cats? Do most people take their cats in with any kind of regularity for cleanings, and are they typically that pricey?

I've only had for a little over 2 years, and nothing like this has come up yet.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
My 12 yr old cat has skanky teeth, so she regularly gets a cleaning to get off plaque and make sure her remaining fangs aren't rotting out of her pretty, dumb head. Part of that involves anesthesia and vital monitoring equipment, which is why the process is so drat expensive. She's had two of her fangs and a molar extracted over the years. She won't let me brush her teeth, but I'm in a decent financial position, so I can pay for the vet to tidy up her little mouf. It's something I keep up with because she has had an ulcerated tooth and was totally miserable and quit eating. Naturally that's some concerning business.

Our 5 yr old cat has a better mouth. She had one tooth extracted because it had been broken before we adopted her and apparently no one noticed. She doesn't get cleanings quite as often because her mouth isn't dead nasty and the vet seems pretty pleased with her. I don't try to brush her teeth because I think she'd mess my poo poo up. :v:

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
How much of a thing is teeth-cleaning? I'm thinking, I clean my cat's eyes (tear ducts?) anyway, and she doesn't look completely happy with it, so maybe she could stand some more discomfort. Although I've been giving her these treats for teeth, but I'm really skeptical about their efficacy, and she also always leaves them for last, if even touches at all.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I've had cats that never got their teeth cleaned and were fine, maybe losing a tooth when they got older. Current kitty gets her teeth cleaned every year (~$260) because when we skip it she gets infected teeth and has to have them pulled. Just like some humans have "soft" enamel prone to cavities, some cats get genetically bad teeth.

I feel bad putting her under that much, but those infections are painful. She hates the vet so, so much now. :(

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

effika posted:

I've had cats that never got their teeth cleaned and were fine, maybe losing a tooth when they got older. Current kitty gets her teeth cleaned every year (~$260) because when we skip it she gets infected teeth and has to have them pulled. Just like some humans have "soft" enamel prone to cavities, some cats get genetically bad teeth.

I feel bad putting her under that much, but those infections are painful. She hates the vet so, so much now. :(

See I could 260. 700 dollars just seems like crazy money.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

There's also slow eating bowls, where they've to work at getting at the kibble. Same idea, different design.

We ended up getting one of those bone-shaped inserts with a suction cup at the bottom that you affix to a pet food dish, and it turns it into a slow-eating dish. So far it seems to be working pretty well - our dumbass projectile-puking cat can't get her head in all the way to gorge herself. I think we might have found our solution!:) (also I'm hoping she'll lose a little weight from this, because she really is a tubbo for being an otherwise-small kitty)

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
It's been a couple of years since I was owned by a catte. If I recall, the bloodtest they do for the older cats before surgery is what was the most expensive item on the list. I was one of those folks who had their cat's teeth cleaned yearly or every other year depending on what was going on.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
The pre cleaning blood test can also catch some possible undiagnosed conditions. My cat went for a teeth cleaning, never got it, and started getting treated for cancer instead. Two years later she is missing a fang but still alive.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."
I guess this might be a useful thing to share: I have a defunct chair whose seat is no longer attached to the rest of it, and my cat likes me to carry her around the house while she's on the seat (if that makes sense). Although its pleasantness can be disputed, since the cat keeps moaning for me to (probably) take her I don't know where. It seems like she wants me to take her higher, but I practically stick her to the ceiling and she's still not happy. And I can't do anything about the top of the wardrobe where she either can't fit, or there is no space from the ceiling at all!

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Make a cat coaster

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."
As in, "rollercoaster"? No, she doesn't like it. For her the main attraction really seems to sniff and rub on stuff she normally can't reach.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

supermikhail posted:

my cat likes me to carry her around the house while she's on the seat

How did this practice start?

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."
Oh, I don't remember that well. I think I was just trying to find a new activity to entertain her, and while she was sitting on the seat I picked it up. :shrug: I guess she was into it straightaway, or I probably would have remembered.

It also could have been that she I put her atop some furniture and offered the seat as a step down.

In any case it was all my plot and scheme.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
My fluffy idiot Harold likes to ride around on my shoulder. Try that instead, at least you won't have to carry a seat around and it's kind of like being a pirate.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

Dogen posted:

My fluffy idiot Harold likes to ride around on my shoulder. Try that instead, at least you won't have to carry a seat around and it's kind of like being a pirate.

I wish Tali was a climber, especially on me. We sometimes pick her up in her bed and carry her around, though the last time we did that she jumped out and did a flip and scared my fiance, now he says I'm not allowed to do that anymore :( (I totally do it when he's not looking, though).

She loves being held up and allowed to bat at the fan, but she's gotten so big now that we can't really hold her up in a way that lets her play and also not fall onto us/the living room table.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ilysespieces posted:

I wish Tali was a climber, especially on me. We sometimes pick her up in her bed and carry her around, though the last time we did that she jumped out and did a flip and scared my fiance, now he says I'm not allowed to do that anymore :( (I totally do it when he's not looking, though).

She loves being held up and allowed to bat at the fan, but she's gotten so big now that we can't really hold her up in a way that lets her play and also not fall onto us/the living room table.

Your cat has you trained to carry her about in a palanquin. loving cats, man.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

One of my new housemate's cats wants to murder my dogs and stalks them round and hisses/spits when he gets close because he's a massive dick. How do stop a shitlord lil ~7mo intact (soon to be otherwise) male cat from trying to suicide him own self into a dog face?

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
My dog just attacked one of my cats, the dog looks to be bleeding, the cat doesn't. How do I check her for internal injuries? The dog's a full grown Akita and she's just a little cat and from the outside it seems like he ended up worse than she did. She was in shock but seems calm if shaken now, her breathing was very heavy but seems normal too. She can walk fine and doesn't seem to have any sore spots.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Don't try to check her on your own, get her to a vet. My grandma's cat stopped being indoor/outdoor after he fell off a fence and into the neighbor's yard with their dogs. He didn't have external injuries but a vet visit revealed a broken jaw, cracked ribs, and a small, easy to miss bite wound on his stomach that abscessed and required a drain. He got a pain patch and had to eat first spoon-fed wet food mixed with water followed by eating it under his own power and eventually back to dry food.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

LivesInGrey posted:

Don't try to check her on your own, get her to a vet. My grandma's cat stopped being indoor/outdoor after he fell off a fence and into the neighbor's yard with their dogs. He didn't have external injuries but a vet visit revealed a broken jaw, cracked ribs, and a small, easy to miss bite wound on his stomach that abscessed and required a drain. He got a pain patch and had to eat first spoon-fed wet food mixed with water followed by eating it under his own power and eventually back to dry food.

:agreed: Cats are known for hiding any injury or illness. I totally agree, Vet visit!

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Fraction posted:

One of my new housemate's cats wants to murder my dogs and stalks them round and hisses/spits when he gets close because he's a massive dick. How do stop a shitlord lil ~7mo intact (soon to be otherwise) male cat from trying to suicide him own self into a dog face?

Well first would be to get him fixed. There's a good chance that's the cause.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Drythe posted:

Well first would be to get him fixed. There's a good chance that's the cause.

Did you miss the 'soon to be otherwise' part? I'm looking for tips or help in the meantime :)

xie
Jul 29, 2004

hes probably not going to die and is a kitten, he'll learn to keep away from the dogs if it comes down to it. you cant override it not being fixed, there is no magic wand that will make an intact male act like a neutered male.

when you see the cat doing that, try to redirect it (like a child) to playing and letting out that aggression somewhere else. is your roommate one of those people who gets a kitten but wants it to act like an adult cat? some cats will play forever but generally if you play with your kitten a lot it will not act like such an aggressive shitlord.

you can also try positive vibes around the dog, like feed the cat with the dogs in the same room (behind a gate if need be) so the cat gets comfortable and safe with them around. the same tips for introducing a new cat, you just want the cat to see the dogs as "not a toy." but its an intact kitten, it sees the whole world as a toy.

xie fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Mar 13, 2015

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."
My cat plucked up the courage today and sniffed the dog. :3: Actually, I don't know who's more afraid... I mean, the dog always whines when the cat's around, but he (the dog) seems to be the most interested in a contact.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Our tiny lady cat got shipped off to the vet last night - I saw her straining to use the litter box a few times and passing a very small amount of urine. When we went to the vet they were unable to get a urine sample as her bladder was totally empty. Vet was thinking that it could be that she was feeling like she had to go from a irritated bladder, probably from a UTI. We were planning on taking her to the regular vet today so we didn't keep racking up fees at the e-vet if it wasn't an emergency situation.

Well, this morning I see a few regular sized pee pucks in the litter box...we have two cats so I couldn't be sure if it was her, but I just saw her use it and pass a small/regular amount of urine.

I guess long story short, I'm wondering if FLUTD caused by stress (there was an all-day open house at our apartment Thursday) could resolve by itself without treatment. I really don't mind hauling her over to the vet again today, but if she seems to be passing urine and eating/drinking/playing like normal now.

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

:420: :catdrugs: :420:
How do you make a new cat used to an existing one? I've just obtained a female 3.5 month old Exotic Shorthair.

I already have a 12 year old Persian/Siberian female who is a little bit rough around the edges. The breeder told me to to keep them in different rooms for now, but when and how should I start getting them used to each other? At which point will it be possible to place their food and toilets in the same place? I've just had them meet for the first time and they just sniffed each other and glared. There was no roaring or hissing, and neither were their ears pressed to their heads.

Cat Planet fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 14, 2015

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
:saddowns: Cattes had a vet appointment Monday. Poyo, the 5 year old, has hyperthyroidism. It wasn't caught when we got her in 2014 (I guess the test isn't part of the standard blood panel). Is anyone familiar with any extra care for a cat with this condition? Now that I've had a chance to look it up, I realize that she's been symptomatic all this time (barfs, shedding, thirst, appetite), but I've never knowingly had a cat with this particular problem and her issues seemed pretty benign (and I had let the vet know about her thirst and barfing previously, but at the time I was concerned about her stupid pica). Looks like she's going to be on tapazole from now to kingdom come.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
I've always isolated newcomers in a room (like a bathroom) for at least three days and a vet visit. New cat gets acclimated in a cozy space and prior cat(s) can sniff under the door and menace/love from afar while everyone gets reassured that the world is not coming to an end.

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

:420: :catdrugs: :420:

Arriviste posted:

I've always isolated newcomers in a room (like a bathroom) for at least three days and a vet visit. New cat gets acclimated in a cozy space and prior cat(s) can sniff under the door and menace/love from afar while everyone gets reassured that the world is not coming to an end.

They both have up to date vaccinations and no contact with the outside world so I'm not worried about diseases really, the breeder told me that her next vaccination is a year away. I think that for now I'll keep the kitten separated and let her socialize with my older cat in her room under my supervision. I expected the latter to be aggressive but she actually seems more afraid than the kitten is. Maybe it's because the kitten grew up at a breeder where many cats were present, while my older cat was given to me when she was a month old and as a result is pretty poorly socialized. I won't leave them together unsupervised for now, just in case. Otherwise the older one will just eat all the kitten food.

Cat Planet fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 15, 2015

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

RedTonic posted:

:saddowns: Cattes had a vet appointment Monday. Poyo, the 5 year old, has hyperthyroidism. It wasn't caught when we got her in 2014 (I guess the test isn't part of the standard blood panel). Is anyone familiar with any extra care for a cat with this condition? Now that I've had a chance to look it up, I realize that she's been symptomatic all this time (barfs, shedding, thirst, appetite), but I've never knowingly had a cat with this particular problem and her issues seemed pretty benign (and I had let the vet know about her thirst and barfing previously, but at the time I was concerned about her stupid pica). Looks like she's going to be on tapazole from now to kingdom come.

One of my family cats had this for years. It was really simple for us to deal with though because despite being a very smart cat, she would eat her tablets right out of a small dollop of cream cheese so getting her tablet became her favourite part of the day. It does require getting into a habit of tabletting the cat at a regular time of day but you get used to it pretty fast. Otherwise she was completely fine.

aghastly
Nov 1, 2010

i'm an instant star
just add water and stir

marchantia posted:

I guess long story short, I'm wondering if FLUTD caused by stress (there was an all-day open house at our apartment Thursday) could resolve by itself without treatment. I really don't mind hauling her over to the vet again today, but if she seems to be passing urine and eating/drinking/playing like normal now.

It can, from what I've read on the literature my own vet gave me, but I'd take her to the vet anyway. If it was caused by stress, they might have a few suggestions on what you can do to help make her more comfortable.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

RedTonic posted:

Maybe you should look into radio-iodine therapy. It's not cheap but considering how young your cat is, I think it might be worth investigating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
My roommate is moving out at the end of the month and I think I'm just gonna replace him with a cat. I'm not new to cats but I've never owned one before.

On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being "your dick's gonna fall off if you don't do this" how important is it to get 2 cats vs 1 like the OP says? I'd really rather not have 2 but I'm out of the apartment from 6am to 6pm typically.