Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
This is basically the best I can come up with for a Dragons deck that you could jam Sarkhan 4 into. And even I don't think its terribly good. :(

Deck: Temur Dragons

//CREATURES

2 Elvish Mystic
4 Sylvan Caryatid
4 Goblin Rabblemaster
4 Heir of the Wilds
4 Savage Knuckleblade
4 Stormbreath Dragon
4 Thunderbreak Regent

//SPELLS
2 Sarkhan Unbroken
3 Lightning Strike
4 Crater's Claws
2 Stubborn Denial

//LANDS
3 Shivan Reef
4 Wooded Foothills
4 Yavimaya Coast
1 Temple of Abandon
2 Forest
2 Mountain
1 Temple of Epiphany
2 Mana Confluence
4 Frontier Bivouac

Display deck statistics

I thought about taking the Knux out for Courser, but man does it feel wimpy to have nothing but dorks and bigbutts until you get a dragon out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Was it ever decided if Monastery Mentor made the cut for Jeskai Tokens? I'm running a pretty standard Jeskai Tokens build and I'm honestly struggling to decide to jam him in or not. All my playtesting has Rabble being the more consistent option but Mentor pulling off more spectacular wins. Not forcing his tokens to attack really helps chumping against Mono-Red and giving me more flexibility when Stoking. Do I jam him in the sideboard for more control-y matches or cut Rabble altogether?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

SteelMentor posted:

Was it ever decided if Monastery Mentor made the cut for Jeskai Tokens? I'm running a pretty standard Jeskai Tokens build and I'm honestly struggling to decide to jam him in or not. All my playtesting has Rabble being the more consistent option but Mentor pulling off more spectacular wins. Not forcing his tokens to attack really helps chumping against Mono-Red and giving me more flexibility when Stoking. Do I jam him in the sideboard for more control-y matches or cut Rabble altogether?

Not really. Jeskai Ascendancy lost a lot of its power as Mentor slipped into the format because more people were bringing it hate for token decks. I think it has basically been determined that Rabblemaster is better on the play and Mentor is better on the draw since you generally have to turtle for a bit anyway in the early game before exploding all of your opponent.

With more cheap token generators (Dragon Fodder) on the horizon, better removal to throw at Tasigur/Rhino (Roast), and more cantripping (Anticipate), we may see a resurgence.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Not really. Jeskai Ascendancy lost a lot of its power as Mentor slipped into the format because more people were bringing it hate for token decks. I think it has basically been determined that Rabblemaster is better on the play and Mentor is better on the draw since you generally have to turtle for a bit anyway in the early game before exploding all of your opponent.

With more cheap token generators (Dragon Fodder) on the horizon, better removal to throw at Tasigur/Rhino (Roast), and more cantripping (Anticipate), we may see a resurgence.

I think with the new one mana enchantment (Myth Realized) and the variety of hate spells for those colours in the format, that Jeskai Tokens could come back again.

I was going to post a decklist but I won't post it until the full spoiler comes out, but I have a question. Do you think the cheap hate spells are worth mainboarding? For example, rending volley kills basically everything in abzan aggro apart from deathdealer and rhino (but can be killed after blocks?) and surge of righteousness also seems very good against rabblemaster, rhino, any aggressive red creature and gains you life.

Also, do you think the Ojutai Exemplars would be worth mainboarding too? It seems like a very good versatile finisher for tokens.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Samael posted:

I think with the new one mana enchantment (Myth Realized) and the variety of hate spells for those colours in the format, that Jeskai Tokens could come back again.

I was going to post a decklist but I won't post it until the full spoiler comes out, but I have a question. Do you think the cheap hate spells are worth mainboarding? For example, rending volley kills basically everything in abzan aggro apart from deathdealer and rhino (but can be killed after blocks?) and surge of righteousness also seems very good against rabblemaster, rhino, any aggressive red creature and gains you life.

Also, do you think the Ojutai Exemplars would be worth mainboarding too? It seems like a very good versatile finisher for tokens.

The hate spells doesn't really do much to help. Rending Volley doesn't kill Rhino. The only reasonable targets are Fleecemane and Seeker which die to Lightning Strike anyway. Encase in Ice may be decent against beefy green decks? But it is fragile and doesn't remove their devotion count. Surge of Righteousness kills a decent number of targets but they have to be attacking or blocking which limits the timing which limits the usefullness of playing it with Ascendancy.

Exemplars could be a decent curve topper, but it sits dead in hand much of the time. It is kind of a win-more since you should be winning if you can untap with Ascendancy and a creature or two in play, anyway.

Really, the card you should be looking at is Artful Maneuver. +2/+2 instant with rebound is kind of nice since you get two Ascendancy triggers off it.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
The big card for tokens is Narset, virtually every spell in that deck is insane when rebounded. You have Treasure Cruise, Jeskai Charm, Stoke the Flames, and Hordeling Outburst, all of which I'm looking forward to casting twice. That's not even counting the broken things that take place when you combine it with Ascendancy. You also have a plus ability that has a close to 50% chance of drawing a card, and an ultimate that wins the game against control.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

AlternateNu posted:

I personally found Mentor just better in general for tokens, but the entire deck gets eaten by Drown in Sorrow so not a ton of people are playing it.

Going forward I think you're gonna see a Prowess deck that's less focused on Ascendancy and more focused on cantrips and protecting its guy the way U/W does.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Angry Grimace posted:

I personally found Mentor just better in general for tokens, but the entire deck gets eaten by Drown in Sorrow so not a ton of people are playing it.

Going forward I think you're gonna see a Prowess deck that's less focused on Ascendancy and more focused on cantrips and protecting its guy the way U/W does.

The problem with that is the bonuses for Prowess don't last. Using protection effects on your opponent's turn gives you very little room to use them offensively, and the upside for heroic is you don't have to invest anything else to keep your guy big.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

VICTORY AT SEA posted:

That was me... I didn't realise who I was playing against until the event was over. I've actually updated the deck quite a bit since that daily and I think it's both more aggressive and more consistent for it.

4x Battlefield Thaumaturge
4x Darksteel Citadel
4x Ensoul Artifact
4x Force Away
4x Frost Walker
4x Hour of Need
4x Icy Blast
4x Illusory Angel (M15)
16x Island
4x Ornithopter (ATQ)
4x Springleaf Drum
4x Stubborn Denial

SIDEBOARD:

3x Dig Through time
3x Jace, the living guildpact
4x Monastery Siege
4x Omenspeaker
1x Polymorphous Rush

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/blue-angel-tempo/

I was getting burned out by Mono-R One-Drop Heroic after running it for two events back-to-back - this deck looks like so much fun. I had to make the odd change to the side (I don't have the Jaces or the Digs, so I replaced the Digs with Cruises, and the Jaces with some extra removal (currently three Reality Shifts, but subject to change; I'll see how the meta looks at the next Standard event (probably in a fortnight)); but I'm super excited to play this.

If you make any changes with the onset of Dragons, I'd love to hear about them.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

That's an awesome looking deck. What are you siding Jace and Dig Through Time in against, control?

VICTORY AT SEA
Oct 14, 2010

Deckit posted:

That's an awesome looking deck. What are you siding Jace and Dig Through Time in against, control?

Pretty much. Jace's +1 feeds Dig Through Time and loots for relevant combo pieces whilst the -2 can reset planeswalkers or return a Perilous Vault.

The sideboard is actually a bit of a problem because the deck is so tightly wound with synergies there really isn't much of it you can change. I'm not seeing much for this deck in Dragons of Tarkir, and I'm a bit bored of it so I'll probably make something new. I do always make blue based tempo decks and this time I want to do something around Silugmar Sorcerer, Quickling, Thassa's Rebuff, Dance of the Skywise, Military Intelligence and some cheap evasive creatures. I'll post it here once it's hammered together.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

This Is A Motherfucking Dragon Deck, poo poo

4 Sylvan Caryatid
4 Rattleclaw Mystic
3 Dragonlord's Servant
4 Thunderbreak Regent
4 Stormbreath Dragon
2 Kolaghan, the Storm's Fury
1 Dragonlord Kolaghan
2 Silumgar, the Drifting Death
2 Dragonlord Silumgar

4 Dragon Tempest
4 Draconic Roar
2 Sarkhan Unbroken
1 Descent of the Dragons

4 Haven of the Spirit Dragon
4 Mana Confluence
4 Frontier Bivouac
1 Opulent Palace
1 Yavimaya Coast
4 Wooded Foothills
3 Mountain
2 Forest

Dragon Tempest reminds me a lot of Fires of Yavimaya and frankly that's really cool, imo, and i'm going to brew with it, and you can't fr*aking stop me

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

So I wanted to build a cheap deck for casual w/ some friends (basically to just hang out and socialize) and I followed somewhat of a template for a cheap deck and went with some listed recommendations for cards to improve upon it. Am I missing anything that's fairly cheap that could improve the playability/reliability of my deck?

Creature (20)
2x Blood Artist
4x Butcher Ghoul
2x Demonlord of Ashmouth
3x Ferropede
2x Flayer of the Hatebound
2x Hellrider
3x Hound of Griselbrand
2x Pyreheart Wolf

Artifact (9)

3x Culling Dais
4x Power Conduit
2x Spawning Pit

Instant (6)
3x Fling
3x Murder

Land (23)
2x Dragonskull Summit
12x Mountain
9x Swamp

Enchantment (2)
2x Ion Storm

Basically a RB Undying deck built upon removing +1/+1 counters from my creatures and putting them elsewhere. I don't have a great card vocabulary so I'm sure I'm missing some good additions..

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
At the very least you probably want to replace some Mountains and Swamps with 4 Bloodfell Caves and 4 Rakdos Guildgates in absence of getting some more expensive lands. They'll make your mana more consistent since you have double black and double red spells. Flayer of the Hatebound also seems a little expensive for a deck running only 23 lands. You want to try and get up to about 17-18 sources of each color, so with 4 Caves, 4 Guildgates, 2 Summits, you would still want like 8 black and 7 red based on the cost of your spells, but I guess 7 Swamps 6 Mountains gets you to 17 and 16 and that's probably fine for casual play.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Death of Rats posted:

I was getting burned out by Mono-R One-Drop Heroic after running it for two events back-to-back - this deck looks like so much fun. I had to make the odd change to the side (I don't have the Jaces or the Digs, so I replaced the Digs with Cruises, and the Jaces with some extra removal (currently three Reality Shifts, but subject to change; I'll see how the meta looks at the next Standard event (probably in a fortnight)); but I'm super excited to play this.

If you make any changes with the onset of Dragons, I'd love to hear about them.

The deck is fun but doesn't work when you forget Darksteel Citadels.

Last FNM was not so fun.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Scholtz posted:

So I wanted to build a cheap deck for casual w/ some friends (basically to just hang out and socialize) and I followed somewhat of a template for a cheap deck and went with some listed recommendations for cards to improve upon it. Am I missing anything that's fairly cheap that could improve the playability/reliability of my deck?

Creature (20)
2x Blood Artist
4x Butcher Ghoul
2x Demonlord of Ashmouth
3x Ferropede
2x Flayer of the Hatebound
2x Hellrider
3x Hound of Griselbrand
2x Pyreheart Wolf

Artifact (9)

3x Culling Dais
4x Power Conduit
2x Spawning Pit

Instant (6)
3x Fling
3x Murder

Land (23)
2x Dragonskull Summit
12x Mountain
9x Swamp

Enchantment (2)
2x Ion Storm

Basically a RB Undying deck built upon removing +1/+1 counters from my creatures and putting them elsewhere. I don't have a great card vocabulary so I'm sure I'm missing some good additions..

Just keeping budget in mind, maybe swap the murders for terminate.

Soothing Cacophony
Sep 29, 2009
So this is my plan for DTK. I've been playing this deck a bunch online before DTK and it got so many upgrades from this set.

Deck: Aspect of Hydra Aggro

//Lands
18 Forest
3 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx

//Spells
4 Aspect of Hydra
3 Gather Courage

//Creatures
4 Avatar of the Resolute
4 Bassara Tower Archer
4 Boon Satyr
4 Elvish Mystic
2 Nylea, God of the Hunt
4 Reverent Hunter
4 Scaleguard Sentinels
3 Servant of the Scale
3 Swordwise Centaur

//Sideboard
1 Hunt the Hunter
2 Epic Confrontation
3 Display of Dominance
2 Polukranos, World Eater
3 Mistcutter Hydra
2 Collected Company
2 Reclamation Sage

Display deck statistics

The general game play is to flood the board with green pips and make a lethal swing with Aspect of Hydra, or a giant Reverent Hunter, or just beatdown with Nylea and lots of pumps. A splash might be in order as I really like the idea of playing either Dromoka's Command or Atarka's Command, but that might be a lil ambitious with the strict green mana requirements.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

If Drown in Sorrow is the problem then that seems like all the more reason to be using Mentor, since you can have it stick through a Drown by playing one spell and then fart out more tokens after.

E: A thing, I guess

Deck: DTK Jeskai

//Main
Creatures: 7
4 Monastery Mentor
3 Seeker of the Way

Spells: 31
4 Anticipate
2 Valorous Stance
2 Myth Realized
2 Gods Willing
2 Wild Slash
4 Treasure Cruise
4 Jeskai Ascendancy
3 Hordeling Outburst
4 Dragon Fodder
4 Stoke the Flames

Lands: 22
3 Flooded Strand
2 Temple of Epiphany
2 Temple of Triumph
2 Mystic Monastery
2 Island
3 Mountain
2 Plains
4 Battlefield Forge
2 Shivan Reef

Display deck statistics

This is a preliminary list I'm fiddling around with. Anyone have any opinions on the numbers for removal and Myth Realized? I'm really unsure on the lands, too.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 15, 2015

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Ok dumb deck brew time. They printed black fireball eh? Might as well use it.

Deck: BGr Durdle

//Lands
4 Bloodstained Mire
8 Forest
4 Jungle Hollow
1 Mountain
3 Swamp
4 Temple of Malady

//Spells
4 Crater's Claws
2 Crux of Fate
4 Damnable Pact
2 Frontier Siege
2 Garruk, Apex Predator
2 Hero's Downfall
2 Murderous Cut
1 Ugin, the Spirit Dragon

//Creatures
4 Archers' Parapet
1 Elvish Mystic
2 Gurmag Angler
4 Rattleclaw Mystic
4 Sylvan Caryatid
2 Tasigur, the Golden Fang

//Sideboard
2 Grim Contest
2 Hornet Queen
1 Island
2 Polluted Delta
4 Rakshasa Deathdealer
2 Villainous Wealth
2 Feed the Clan

Display deck statistics

The point is to just durdle until you can kill them with various fireballs. The sideboard is to deal with either heavy aggro (bringing in deathdealers, FtC, and hornet queens) or stuff that I can't burn out (Villianous Wealth + manabase)

Thoughts on how to make my this lovely idea deck better? Would bileblight or drown in sorrow be better than crux?

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 16, 2015

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

C-Euro posted:

This was my first pass at work before seeing your post-

2 Flooded Strand
14 Island
2 Polluted Delta
2 Reliquary Tower
4 Shelldock Isle
4 Boomerang
4 Broken Ambitions
4 Cryptic Command
4 Dictate of Kruphix
4 Evacuation
3 Jace Beleren
4 Plumeveil
4 Sanity Grinding
1 Thassa, God of the Sea
4 Twincast

Sideboard:
3 Glen Elendra Archmage
4 Remand
4 Trickbind
4 Unsummon

Of your list of potentials I like these more than the rest-
Threads of Disloyalty
Vendilion Clique
Godhead of Awe
Snapcaster Mage
Aetherspouts

I think the best way to take the deck is to get a lot of early deck-thinning and stacking to hit a massive Grinding turn 3 or 4, but it's too bad that it'd be impossible to knock your opponent out with one shot of Grinding. Maybe Increasing Confusion or Blue Sun's Zenith would be a good finisher if you're running Nykthos? I'm not familiar with Woo's deck but I'd bet it has a similar win-con. From my list and your ideas I'd swap the Evacs for Aetherspouts, the Unsummons for Threads, and maybe try to fit a couple Snapcasters mainboard.
Makes me wish Ponder and Preordain weren't banned. I guess we'll just have to design it for Legacy :kheldragar:

So I'm back trying to make this deck.

4x sanity grinding
4x boomerang
4x aetherspouts
4x dictate of kruphix
4x cryptic command
4x plumeveil
4x twincast
3x jace beleren
1x godhead of awe
1x increasing confusion
1x snapcaster
1x blue sun's zenith
1x fascination

4x shelldock isle
3x nykthos
15x island
2x reliquary tower

It has 31 potential devotion in permanents so I think Nykthos is worthwhile to run and the max potential Sanity Grinding is 32 although it will probably be more around 20 most of the time. I took out Broken Ambitions because I hate relying on Clash to get actual value out of it and I don't feel it packs enough power to only give us one blue for Sanity Grinding. Also took out Thassa for a similar reason and because our 3-spot is so loaded already and I'd basically rather play any of the others than her since we're basically just using her for scry or as a last resort finisher. Snapcaster is the only spell with single blue but I think being able to flashback a Cryptic or Sanity or one of the X spells makes it strong enough and I would probably run 2 if I had another or it wasn't stupid expensive. Thoughts on stuff to cut or any cards I dumped that you think definitely need inclusion?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'm wondering if a Red-Black Control list could do well right now.
Deck: Rakdos Dragon Control

//Dragons!
4 Stormbreath Dragon
2 Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker

//Removal
4 Crux of Fate
2 Anger of the Gods
4 Hero's Downfall
4 Magma Jet
2 Lightning Strike
4 Thoughtseize
2 Bile Blight

//Card draw
4 Read the Bones
2 Outpost Siege

//Land
4 Bloodstained Mire
4 Temple of Malice
1 Temple of Silence
1 Temple of Triumph
4 Bloodfell Caves
2 Radiant Fountain
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
4 Swamp
5 Mountain

Display deck statistics
I was testing it a bit and it seems to be pretty good at shutting down green devotion strategies, but has trouble with Rhino decks that can play the grinding game.
Maybe it should just be grixis so that you can dig for cards and protect your threats? The mana would be rough though.

I was trying to brew something that beats Green White Devotion, and I think this does that pretty well, but ends up being weak to a bunch of other decks.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Entropic posted:

I'm wondering if a Red-Black Control list could do well right now.
Deck: Rakdos Dragon Control

Display deck statistics
I was testing it a bit and it seems to be pretty good at shutting down green devotion strategies, but has trouble with Rhino decks that can play the grinding game.
Maybe it should just be grixis so that you can dig for cards and protect your threats? The mana would be rough though.

I was trying to brew something that beats Green White Devotion, and I think this does that pretty well, but ends up being weak to a bunch of other decks.

You need at least a couple OG Kologhan just because she is an amazing finisher and dodges sorcery speed removal.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
You'd want Roast, definitely. Burns out them pesky Rhinos, and as is you have 4 bits of all out removal that isn't damage based. OG Kolaghan is also a great card to include.

Ultimate Price could be an option too, and the red/black X-Draw spells.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I feel you'd also want 1-2 Murderous Cuts as well. With as many spells as you have hitting the yard you'd no doubt hit the sweet 1mana removal spot whenever you see them.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Since you aren't using your graveyard for anything else I think you might as well play Murderous Cut.

e: damnit. Something else I was wondering was if Outpost Siege still works well enough to be good in a reactive deck.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Yeah, Murderous Cut seems obvious. Outpost siege is just there as a howling mine, Chandra Might be better though.

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account
Here's a Modern Mill deck I'm testing out. Could really use some suggestions for the sideboard and whether I should replace Mass Calcify with a regular Armageddon. The key is getting Elspeth in play along with Altar of the Brood. Pump out the 3 1/1 soldier tokens as a consistent mill along with Jace for his ability. The Clones are utility creatures in case I need to copy something my opponent is using.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/13-03-15-were-the-millers/

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

If you only way to mill is from Anime Jace and Altar, you're much too slow. You will never be able to live long enough for this plan to work. Use Mesmeric Orb if you want an artifact. Replace Wall of Frost for Wall of Omens if you want defenders. Cut clones & Serra Angels because they aren't milling. Use Remand & Mana Leak for counterspells instead of the UUX ones.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Also 20 land is far too few for a deck that wants to cast 5 mana spells.

Mostly though, mill is just a bad plan, and you're not even comitting to the plan, you're hedging your bets with a bunch of creatures that don't match up well against what other people are going to be playing in Modern.

A burn deck will have you dead before you get to cast your first Jace. You are not going to race their burn spells with your Altar of the Brood. And that's not the worst of what Modern has in store for you.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Rojo_Sombrero posted:

Here's a Modern Mill deck I'm testing out. Could really use some suggestions for the sideboard and whether I should replace Mass Calcify with a regular Armageddon. The key is getting Elspeth in play along with Altar of the Brood. Pump out the 3 1/1 soldier tokens as a consistent mill along with Jace for his ability. The Clones are utility creatures in case I need to copy something my opponent is using.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/13-03-15-were-the-millers/

No no no, THIS is how you do Modern Mill-

Deck: Esper Mill (Modern)

//Lands
3 Darkslick Shores
2 Flooded Strand
2 Ghost Quarter
1 Godless Shrine
2 Hallowed Fountain
1 Island
3 Marsh Flats
1 Oboro, Palace in the Clouds
1 Plains
2 Polluted Delta
2 Shelldock Isle
1 Swamp
1 Watery Grave

//Spells
4 Archive Trap
4 Breaking // Entering
3 Crypt Incursion
4 Glimpse the Unthinkable
3 Mind Funeral
3 Path to Exile
3 Surgical Extraction
4 Thought Scour
2 Trapmaker's Snare
4 Visions of Beyond

//Creatures
4 Hedron Crab

//Sideboard
2 Disenchant
2 Echoing Truth
2 Engineered Explosives
3 Inquisition of Kozilek
3 Ravenous Trap
2 Stony Silence
1 Surgical Extraction

Display deck statistics

You have to go all-in with mill in order to make it work, but it does work if you commit to it. Don't listen to the mill haters, back when my store did semi-regular Modern events I would always collect a prize with this deck. The Trapmaker's Snares are my flex spots, if you adjust the manabase I don't see why you couldn't put in a couple Supreme Verdicts, though Snapcasters or Damnations are better if you can afford them.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

C-Euro posted:

No no no, THIS is how you do Modern Mill-

Deck: Esper Mill (Modern)

//Lands
3 Darkslick Shores
2 Flooded Strand
2 Ghost Quarter
1 Godless Shrine
2 Hallowed Fountain
1 Island
3 Marsh Flats
1 Oboro, Palace in the Clouds
1 Plains
2 Polluted Delta
2 Shelldock Isle
1 Swamp
1 Watery Grave

//Spells
4 Archive Trap
4 Breaking // Entering
3 Crypt Incursion
4 Glimpse the Unthinkable
3 Mind Funeral
3 Path to Exile
3 Surgical Extraction
4 Thought Scour
2 Trapmaker's Snare
4 Visions of Beyond

//Creatures
4 Hedron Crab

//Sideboard
2 Disenchant
2 Echoing Truth
2 Engineered Explosives
3 Inquisition of Kozilek
3 Ravenous Trap
2 Stony Silence
1 Surgical Extraction

Display deck statistics

You have to go all-in with mill in order to make it work, but it does work if you commit to it. Don't listen to the mill haters, back when my store did semi-regular Modern events I would always collect a prize with this deck. The Trapmaker's Snares are my flex spots, if you adjust the manabase I don't see why you couldn't put in a couple Supreme Verdicts, though Snapcasters or Damnations are better if you can afford them.

This deck is pretty analogous to a burn deck, and it's probably the only really competitive way to play modern mill. I was playing a u/b version last year based on a list you provided I think, and you can win surprising fast some games. Snapcaster mage definitely feels like it would be a direct upgrade to trapmakers snares, I used to board traps out somewhat regularly because of how much people would play around them if they saw them g1. The deck probably isn't in a bad position right now either, except for it being seemingly weak to infect.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Fingers McLongDong posted:

This deck is pretty analogous to a burn deck, and it's probably the only really competitive way to play modern mill. I was playing a u/b version last year based on a list you provided I think, and you can win surprising fast some games. Snapcaster mage definitely feels like it would be a direct upgrade to trapmakers snares, I used to board traps out somewhat regularly because of how much people would play around them if they saw them g1. The deck probably isn't in a bad position right now either, except for it being seemingly weak to infect.

Aw shucks, someone copied my deck that I copied from some old PT coverage :shobon: Fast aggro is the deck's big weakness because it has no board presence, I recall one tourney where I got run out of the building by a zombie tribal deck in the finals, and Infect would be a bummer unless you have a Path in hand and they're not running Apostle's Blessing. I saw one dude playing Damnation in his list but that's too rich for my blood (same with Snaps, as awesome as Glimpse-Snap-Glimpse sounds). RG Tron or any deck running Eldrazi titans is also a tough match due to the graveyard shuffle on Emrakul & friends, but it's do-able if you play smart and I've managed to pull off the double mill against them once before (Surgical'd away a Tron land early, then Crypt Incur'd all his creatures in response to the Emrakul shuffle and ground it out before he could find his one remaining creature to kill me). My dream is to hide a Breaking//Entering under a Shelldock Isle, mill an Emrakul, then cast Entering off of Shelldock to steal their Emrakul and beat them to death with it :black101:

Trap is an awesome card and I can't imagine boarding it out. It was definitely better when Pod was running the show but now most decks run fetches so people are still searching a lot, plus you have Path and Ghost Quarter to force searches unless the opponent wants to get Strip Mine'd. And if they stall or decline a search out of fear of getting Trapped then they're only slowing themselves down since you're trying to win as quickly as possible. There's probably a greater discussion to be had there about bluffing and playing around threats, but I've won something like 90% of the games where I can land an Archive Trap.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

C-Euro posted:

Aw shucks, someone copied my deck that I copied from some old PT coverage :shobon: Fast aggro is the deck's big weakness because it has no board presence, I recall one tourney where I got run out of the building by a zombie tribal deck in the finals, and Infect would be a bummer unless you have a Path in hand and they're not running Apostle's Blessing. I saw one dude playing Damnation in his list but that's too rich for my blood (same with Snaps, as awesome as Glimpse-Snap-Glimpse sounds). RG Tron or any deck running Eldrazi titans is also a tough match due to the graveyard shuffle on Emrakul & friends, but it's do-able if you play smart and I've managed to pull off the double mill against them once before (Surgical'd away a Tron land early, then Crypt Incur'd all his creatures in response to the Emrakul shuffle and ground it out before he could find his one remaining creature to kill me). My dream is to hide a Breaking//Entering under a Shelldock Isle, mill an Emrakul, then cast Entering off of Shelldock to steal their Emrakul and beat them to death with it :black101:

Trap is an awesome card and I can't imagine boarding it out. It was definitely better when Pod was running the show but now most decks run fetches so people are still searching a lot, plus you have Path and Ghost Quarter to force searches unless the opponent wants to get Strip Mine'd. And if they stall or decline a search out of fear of getting Trapped then they're only slowing themselves down since you're trying to win as quickly as possible. There's probably a greater discussion to be had there about bluffing and playing around threats, but I've won something like 90% of the games where I can land an Archive Trap.

Yeah archive trap is really effecient, I was thinking about in matchups where if you do board out a few like monocolor decks or whatever, you'd probably have to board out the trap tutors too. It definitely doesn't come out much though. G/r tron is on the decline currently since the meta isn't very friendly towards it, I can't remember the last time I saw an eldrazi in play lately. I might have to remake that deck at some point, but it feels a bit redundant when I'm already playing burn.

Man_alive
May 6, 2007

<Insert Witty Phrase Here>
FNM this week is Modern. As I've invested a bit of time into it, I think I will run my Modern Zoo deck again. I had some success at the last event, going 2-2 with this list - there were two Choke in the sideboard which ended up doing work on the night. http://deckstats.net/decks/11141/214393-4c-zoo
To my surprise, the Rhinos did work - a lot of work - last time I played the deck. I saw at least one every game. The addition of the Crypt and Tomb were based on being able to fetch them with the fetches I use.

The meta is scrambled at best. Quite a lot of variety, but regular appearances made by zoo, burn, UR (Delver AND twin variants). There are only two Robot decks played at times - mine and one other. My deck isn't optimised as it does not run Mox Opals, and runs Fling as an alt win-con. The other is run by a guy who has spent a great deal of time and effort into building a deck around Death Cloud. It is somehow able to hold it's own against a lot of other decks - super fast aggro can stomp it hard, though. Depending on the night, you can find a Scapeshift, Merfolk, Storm, Mono-white enchants and a lot of home brew jank.

My question is this: Is there anything that anyone can see that they would change about this deck? Are there any obvious things that I could change about this deck that people can see that I am simply not seeing at the moment? I just really want another set of eyes to look at it and let me know if I'm on the right track. ('Goyf is neither mine or my wallet's friend)

Also, sideboards. I can't sideboard for nuts. I have no idea how to build one and a lot of the time, I end up losing game 2 and/or 3 because I don't know how to sideboard properly. The board you see in the link above is flexible, and obviously is missing two cards. Are there any tips you can see there as well?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I just want someone somewhere to live the dream of quadruple Archive Trap in response to a turn 1 fetchland activation.

give head or get dead
Feb 16, 2010

Wouldn't ravenous trap be good in Esper mill to grab with trapmaker's snare too? Or does surgical extraction/Crypt incursion cover emrakul and friends plus provide more utility make them more attractive?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Entropic posted:

I just want someone somewhere to live the dream of quadruple Archive Trap in response to a turn 1 fetchland activation.

Back when it was in Standard, I watched someone keep a no-lander because it had 4 Archive Traps, and his opponent had the fetch T1.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Chamale posted:

Back when it was in Standard, I watched someone keep a no-lander because it had 4 Archive Traps, and his opponent had the fetch T1.

I hope this was before ROE was in.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
That's awesome.

Big Nothing posted:

Wouldn't ravenous trap be good in Esper mill to grab with trapmaker's snare too? Or does surgical extraction/Crypt incursion cover emrakul and friends plus provide more utility make them more attractive?

I switched from RIPs to Ravenous Traps in the board of my Mill deck, RIP is a nuclear option against graveyard decks but it also messes up my Crypt Incursions, Visions of Beyond, and Surgical Extractions. In the case of Tron, I only need to remove the yard one time when Emrakul hits it, the rest of the time it's better for them to have a graveyard since you can Surgical a Tron land and slow them down. If Dredge decks ever come back in force RIP might go back to being the better choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I've played Esper mill a lot and it boils down to if you trapped free or not. That's why I brought up snare about a million years ago. I just haven't tested it post ban.

• Locked thread