Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

FIRST TIME posted:

If you have any questions or get stuck at any point, feel free to ask me. I've modded a bunch of XBOXes and I know what you mean about the info being harder to find now that it's older.

I wrote a post about softmodding/tsop flashing without a modchip/hackable game
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3515794&userid=85508&perpage=40&pagenumber=20#post416158785

It's a pain in the dick but it does work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

Random Stranger posted:

The Shinobi port is pretty nice and stands apart from the arcade version, so you're off to a good start. Similarly, Alex Kidd in Shinobi World is the only Alex Kidd game worth playing. Golvellius is Compile's answer to Zelda and plays a lot like The Guardian Legend. All of the Wonder Boy games are pretty cool. Kenseiden is extremely difficult and reminds me a lot of Castlevania.

Neat. Thanks for the recommendations.

Kazvall posted:

In a couple days we'll be SMS buddies! I'm basically in the same boat as you. Never owned a Master System before. Have you considered doing the FM sound mod?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISECbbAoBlw

I don't know a whole lot about modding, but that FM mod sounds pretty good. I might check into it sometime down the road.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

All Frogs posted:

I don't know a whole lot about modding, but that FM mod sounds pretty good. I might check into it sometime down the road.

When I do mine I'll be sure to post. Basically the Japanese version of the SMS got FM sound. Many games utilize it. So, you're modding it to be able to hear the higher quality audio already on the cart.

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 13, 2015

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

Kazvall posted:

When I do mine I'll be sure to post.

I'll check it out when ya do, soon-to-be SMS buddy.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
Anyone have a Hakko 800, the newer FR-300, or similar desoldering iron they're looking to get rid of? Breaking an IC chip open by accident was the last straw for me, I really need to upgrade from this desoldering pump.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Random Stranger posted:

It's a great game, but I definitely recommend the Famicom version over the European version. It's not cheap, but 4000 yen is better than $200.

While it's part of a fairly extensive series, I think the first game is the only one worth playing. Sunsoft seems to have tried to use the characters as mascots and slapped them onto a bunch of games that are just kind of okay.

Sugoi Hebereke is worth it if you have an SNES multitap and want to fill out your collection of compatible games for it beyond NBA Jam and Bomberman. At least, that's what I tell myself since I bought it :v:. It can be had fairly cheap, anyway, and it's cool to see something like Power Stone on the SNES.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

All Frogs posted:

I'll check it out when ya do, soon-to-be SMS buddy.

You can use Genesis controllers on the SMS by the way. I think you can use the Genesis Model 1 AV/AC cables, too!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Kazvall posted:

In a couple days we'll be SMS buddies! I'm basically in the same boat as you. Never owned a Master System before. Have you considered doing the FM sound mod?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISECbbAoBlw

having to put up with this poo poo on genesis is bad enough, why would you defile the master system to sound like this wtf

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

Kazvall posted:

You can use Genesis controllers on the SMS by the way. I think you can use the Genesis Model 1 AV/AC cables, too!

I totally didn't know that, but that's good to know for future reference.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Cubey posted:

having to put up with this poo poo on genesis is bad enough, why would you defile the master system to sound like this wtf

Half the games it's an upgrade, half it's not. That's what the switch is for. :)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Cubey posted:

There are some games that have enhanced audio specifically for an FM audio expansion unit that was sold only in Japan. They didn't bother taking this code out when they brought the games to the US so the mod lets you use that.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The_Frag_Man posted:

Yes please! That's why I was asking. I just picked up one recently and have started researching the exclusives.

Sounds good, will write something up in the next few days.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Random Stranger posted:

There are some games that have enhanced audio specifically for an FM audio expansion unit that was sold only in Japan. They didn't bother taking this code out when they brought the games to the US so the mod lets you use that.

Not only that, but around half of the FM-compatible games were never released in Japan to begin with, so the FM music went unheard until the rise of emulation.

I prefer the standard PSG tunes for most games, honestly.

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
No love for the Fantasy Zones? :colbert:

FZ2 was the first game I personally owned (not counting the SMS pack ins) as a birthday gift.

Hey there's a subject, what were your first games personally owned (excluding pack ins), gifted or bought?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Pudding Huxtable posted:

Hey there's a subject, what were your first games personally owned (excluding pack ins), gifted or bought?

I know we had an Apple II first, only two games I know for-sure we had legally were Flight Simulator II and Chessmaster 2000.

Later, my ex-nun acadian grandma got my brother and I gold cart Zelda :black101:

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Pudding Huxtable posted:

Either StarTropics or something on whichever version of the Power Macintosh my parents had (so maybe something like Treasure Mountain or Zoombinis?).

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
So. Recently, Bizhawk got a good quality PS1 emulator core that doesn't upscale graphics (so everything's PS1 native res), and a friend of mine had a lot of success playing SOTN for the first time through it. It's gotten me nostalgic for 32-bit 2D stuff, so I'm looking for recommendations in regards to good 2D (especially sprite-based) PS1 games. I'm not picky about genre.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

univbee posted:

Sounds good, will write something up in the next few days.

Thanks mate looking forward to it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

The Kins posted:

So. Recently, Bizhawk got a good quality PS1 emulator core that doesn't upscale graphics (so everything's PS1 native res), and a friend of mine had a lot of success playing SOTN for the first time through it. It's gotten me nostalgic for 32-bit 2D stuff, so I'm looking for recommendations in regards to good 2D (especially sprite-based) PS1 games. I'm not picky about genre.

There's a PSX game called Gunner's Heaven that's a shameless Gunstar Heroes ripoff, you might wanna give that one a try. (There's also a really shameless Guardian Heroes ripoff for PSX but I forget what it's called right now.)

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
I guess it's Panzer Bandit you're talking about , cause this article pretty much says exactly what you said.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Kins posted:

When you say 2D do you mean the graphics or plane? Because there's a lot more exclusively sprite-based games in various perspectives but there are also a lot of 3D games that move on the 2D plane. Some off the top of my head:

Tomba (2.5D)
Oddworld
Strider 2 (2.5D)
Klonoa (2.5D)
Heart of Darkness
Alundra (2D top down)
Silhouette Mirage
Rayman
Harmful Park
The Adventures of Lomax
Mega Man 8
The Adventures of Little Ralph
Herc's Adventures
Panzer Bandit (2.5d)
Disney's Hercules (2.5d)
Viewpoint
Blood Omen

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Champeenship posted:

I guess it's Panzer Bandit you're talking about , cause this article pretty much says exactly what you said.

Yeah, that'd be it. I haven't actually played it so I couldn't tell you whether it stands up to the real thing (not that Guardian Heroes was a fantastic game to begin with) but Gunner's Heaven is very similar to Gunstar, embarrassingly so.

Little Ralph is a fun one, too - it looks and feels more like an early-90s platformer than anything else, so I didn't bring it up, but it's very well made and the Japanese superplayers really seem to love it.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

The Kins posted:

Battle Hunter is pretty great.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Tyson Tomko posted:

Are you asking for info on modding an original Xbox or info on the VGA aspect of it? I've been a huge follower of the xbox modding scene since back in the day and would be happy to hook you up. The site http://www.xbox-scene.com/ is still around but (can be a pain to sort through it all) should have all the info you could ever want in the tutorials/forums. Anyway before I/we go on rambling just want to make sure this is what you were asking about.

I just meant generic old modding.

^^also,having read a bit more, thanks to everyone else, too :)

George RR Fartin fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Mar 13, 2015

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

All Frogs posted:

Just ordered a Sega Master System with a copy of Shinobi. Any other games you guys would recommend? I've never owned or played a Master System before so I'm not sure exactly what to get right off the bat.

Going to say ditto to Golvellius and add in Rastan, which is awesome. I love Golvellius but you'll need an online guide for a few spots as it's sometimes not obvious what you need to do next.

If you're looking for games to avoid as well I'd say Lord of the Sword. It's sort of similar to Castlevania II or Zelda 2 (if you removed the overhead map) but slow, hard, and nowhere near as good as either. Avoid the 3D games unless you have the glasses because they're unplayable without them.

Pudding Huxtable posted:

FZ2 was the first game I personally owned (not counting the SMS pack ins) as a birthday gift.

The first NES game I ever got was Strider. I still think its awesome and honestly don't even care for the Genesis or arcade versions as much. It was also the first game I ever beat, even before SMB.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

flyboi posted:

Was watching Game Sack today during a break at work and found a Sunsoft game for some reason that flew completely under my radar and I'm sure the rest of the thread will be like "duh, idiot."

Hebereke / Ufouria: The Saga

I guess this game never came out in the states and according to Game Sack the PAL release is expensive as poo poo. Good thing I have an Everdrive! Checkmate, retro bubble :shepface:

Anyways it plays like baby's first metroidvania with quite a large map

You start as a dude who can't do much of anything but stomp on bad guys but as you progress through the game you remind your friends through suggestive means that they should be helping you which unlocks other abilities such as swimming/high jump and can switch freely between characters like Little Samson. On top of this there are items all over the place which can be collected and all that fun stuff.

And the art is really good

If you're as stupid as me and never played it I highly suggest giving it a whirl as it's pretty fun.

Looks good!

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

flyboi posted:

I wrote a post about softmodding/tsop flashing without a modchip/hackable game
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3515794&userid=85508&perpage=40&pagenumber=20#post416158785

It's a pain in the dick but it does work

(you probably already know this, I'm just in the mood to talk about it)

I've got a <1.6 and a 1.6. I know there are different methods out there but when I used the ndure or whatever it was called method eons ago with Mechassault and Splinter Cell it was pretty easy. I had it easy though because I had a hardmodded xbox back in the day (used the incredibly baller Xenium chip)

Since I had a modded one, I didn't have to fool with any drive swapping or anything to get the files on the xbox. I transferred the exploits over to my modded xbox via ftp, used it to put the files on an xbox memory card (still to this day the only function I've used an xbox memory card for) then took that memory card and a copy of Splinter Cell/MechAssault and softmodded my other xbox. Once that was done I did the hard drive clone trick so I could upgrade from a 7gb drive to a 250gb one and I've been rockin and rollin ever since. The only thing not really mentioned in most of the older guides is removing the clock capacitor that is prone to suicide bombing.

ryden
Oct 9, 2011

ACAB

Here's an update on my friend's model 2 Genesis. He took it his local retro store and tested it there. Worked fine on their tiny little TV they use to test consoles with, using the AV cable he had. He also tested it with a new AV cable, and that worked too, so he bought it just in case. Brought it all home, and it still looked awful not only on his capture card (which I got the first image from, and works fine with other things hooked up to it), but on his TV as well. After that, he opened the case, blasted it with some canned air and put it all back together. Now it refuses to boot anything. Sounds like he's just gonna say "gently caress it" and buy a different Genesis.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

ryden posted:

Here's an update on my friend's model 2 Genesis. He took it his local retro store and tested it there. Worked fine on their tiny little TV they use to test consoles with, using the AV cable he had. He also tested it with a new AV cable, and that worked too, so he bought it just in case. Brought it all home, and it still looked awful not only on his capture card (which I got the first image from, and works fine with other things hooked up to it), but on his TV as well. After that, he opened the case, blasted it with some canned air and put it all back together. Now it refuses to boot anything. Sounds like he's just gonna say "gently caress it" and buy a different Genesis.

Dumb suggestion, but what about the AC adapter? Did the store use a different one?

Edit:
How's the grounding at your buddy's place?

.... any hauntings?

azurite fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Mar 13, 2015

ryden
Oct 9, 2011

ACAB

azurite posted:

Dumb suggestion, but what about the AC adapter? Did the store use a different one?

Edit:
How's the grounding at your buddy's place?

.... any hauntings?

The setup didn't have an AC adapter when I bought it for him, so he picked up a Trio. Not sure if they used a different one at the store or not.

Also, ghosts seem like a completely plausible explanation for this whole thing. :ghost:

edit: He used the Trio both places, and tried different outlets at home. With and without power strips, etc...

ryden fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 13, 2015

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Every Sega Master System collector must own this just for the absurdity of a Master System game that came out in 1995.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Not only that, but around half of the FM-compatible games were never released in Japan to begin with, so the FM music went unheard until the rise of emulation.

I prefer the standard PSG tunes for most games, honestly.

Me too. I am not sure if it's just because I was used to it, but I tried the FM sound for Wonder Boy in Monster Land (a favorite of my friends and I) and everyone in the room with me agreed it sounded way better in PSG mode. To me, the FM sound reminds me of a poorly-done midi. All the music sounds like it is being played on one of these things

with a combination of

Maybe it depends on what you grew up with, though. I'm not sure though because I definitely like the FM music in those Famicom games that support it; they sound nothing like the SMS FM audio. :confused:

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Fun fact. Super Mario Bros. 3's drums are supposed to be steel drums. The main theme was supposed to have a light reggae feel.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Heran Bago posted:

Fun fact. Super Mario Bros. 3's drums are supposed to be steel drums. The main theme was supposed to have a light reggae feel.

I thought this was pretty obvious to anyone who had ever played the game :confused:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Me too. I am not sure if it's just because I was used to it, but I tried the FM sound for Wonder Boy in Monster Land (a favorite of my friends and I) and everyone in the room with me agreed it sounded way better in PSG mode. To me, the FM sound reminds me of a poorly-done midi. All the music sounds like it is being played on one of these things

with a combination of

Maybe it depends on what you grew up with, though. I'm not sure though because I definitely like the FM music in those Famicom games that support it; they sound nothing like the SMS FM audio. :confused:

The thing with SMS FM is that most games with FM support simply wrote programming routines that would let the FM chip interpret the PSG tunes with FM sounds, so if it sounds half-arsed it's because it probably was half-arsed.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Pudding Huxtable posted:

E.T. for the 2600. Seriously.

The Kins posted:

In the Hunt is a personal favorite.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Every Sega Master System collector must own this just for the absurdity of a Master System game that came out in 1995.

I've been thinking about collecting some of the weirder PAL releases for the Master System from the 1990's. It's a gold mine of pretty much unknown games.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jesus it's been so long since I've played SMB3 that I completely forgot the NES version had no audio during the title sequence. What a weird oversight?

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

Pudding Huxtable posted:

Mortal Kombat II for the SNES was the first game I got that wasn't a pack-in.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Pudding Huxtable posted:

Kirby's Dream Land for Game Boy. If I can think back that far.

raven4267
May 7, 2009

Pudding Huxtable posted:

I had an atari 2600 when I was real young but that was more my parents system and I don't remember to much about it. The first games I got with my NES was Castlevania 1, Rescue: The Embassy Mission, and Infiltrator. Infiltrator was complete garbage, but I still played the hell out of it. The other 2 were amazing, especially Rescue. The sniping in that game was fun as hell. I remember drawing out medals and then cutting them out of paper. I would award them to myself when I would do stuff in the game like rescue a certain amount of hostages like some sort of rudimentary achievement system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Pudding Huxtable posted:

Elfland!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n06c-E9qiEQ
edit: actually now that I look at it, I actually had Elfland 2.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 13, 2015

• Locked thread