Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

ShoogaSlim posted:

For those of you who have tried the new trackpad - has a force touch replaced a two-finger click?
No, they are separate actions and it won't let you assign force click to secondary click.

You can however assign three-finger tap to do the "look up and data detectors" action that force click does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
Moving between something that can be force clicked and something that can't be is super weird. It's like there is a force field in your track pad, which I guess is the point.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

passionate dongs posted:

Moving between something that can be force clicked and something that can't be is super weird. It's like there is a force field in your track pad, which I guess is the point.

Since the glass never actually moves, it makes sense that turning off the feeling of having force click available would be relatively straightforward.

I'm curious enough that I might have to swing by the fruit stand to have a look. I might wait until April when the MacBooks come out.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I picked up a 13" rMBP yesterday. This is my first Apple notebook and I am absolutely blown away by it. The SSD, even with File Vault, is super fast.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

passionate dongs posted:

You can however assign three-finger tap to do the "look up and data detectors" action that force click does.

And for what it's worth the option of assigning three-finger tap as dictionary lookup has been around basically ever since Apple created its modern extra-large trackpads (and the standalone Magic Trackpad).

I expect it's better as a force click though. I've always had problems getting various Mac trackpads to reliably recognize my three finger taps. It might just be me - I think one of my fingers hits earlier than the others and that throws it off.

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Since the glass never actually moves, it makes sense that turning off the feeling of having force click available would be relatively straightforward.

The glass does move. From http://www.apple.com/dk/macbook/design/ (and last page as well).

quote:

[...] force sensors detect your click anywhere on the surface and move the trackpad laterally toward you, although the feel is the same familiar downward motion you’re accustomed to in a trackpad

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Rnr posted:

The glass does move. From http://www.apple.com/dk/macbook/design/ (and last page as well).

Ok, but it doesn't depress. Since the 'click' feeling is entirely the result of the motor, it makes sense that they could turn the feeling of a second click being available on/off.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

iFixit thinks they're using strain gauges to measure the amount of force you're applying with your pinky on the Force Trackpad. So technically you can now even use your gloves without having to worry if you need the wacky capacitive kind.

MacRumors says the throughput on the new SSDs in the Early 2015 13-inch rMBPs averages at :eyepop: 1,285.4 MB/sec read, 629.9 MB/sec write. They're using an updated Samsung controller and Samsung flash memory.

Lastly, it appears that there is an interesting calibration procedure specifically for the Force Trackpad.. you must buy two small cylindrical weights from Apple, print out a calibration target, tape it on the laptop, then run a special program from AST that tells you to put those weights at specified locations on the target which overlays onto the Force Trackpad. It's kinda like Khan unlocking the Genesis Device or something. Techs will feel like they're working at the Bureau of Weights and Standards.

edits: sentence fragging

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 13, 2015

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I'm calling it now: there will be software that allows you to use your Force Touch trackpad as a coke scale.

People already sniff poo poo off their Macbooks, this just takes it a step further.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Ok, but it doesn't depress. Since the 'click' feeling is entirely the result of the motor, it makes sense that they could turn the feeling of a second click being available on/off.

I went home and tried this on my MBP, the trackpad absolutely moves just not very much. I looked very carefully at the edge of the trackpad and saw the thing depress. The "click" sensation is all electromagnetic but the touchpad has some give.

(Image from iFixit)

If you look at the back of the touchpad you will see that each corner is attached to tabs designed to give a little bit. Each tab is hooked up to a strain gauge and that's how it works. So no, the touchpad doesn't move like a traditional clickpad but it also isn't attached directly to the chasis with no give at all.

Rabble fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Mar 13, 2015

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

iFixit thinks they're using strain gauges to measure the amount of force you're applying with your pinky on the Force Trackpad. So technically you can now even use your gloves without having to worry if you need the wacky capacitive kind.

I think it would know that you pushed on it, but not where.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

smackfu posted:

I think it would know that you pushed on it, but not where.

With 4 point strain sensors, couldn't it calculate the location based on the delta between all the readings? But of course there's the whole moving the cursor around by barely touching the surface, unless the sensors are just that accurate.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

seems like a lot of extra effort to let people use gloves with a trackpad.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

seems like a lot of extra effort to let people use gloves with a trackpad.
This technology will probably show up in future iPhones and iPads.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Can I still assign two finger clicks to the bottom right of the touchpad?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

flosofl posted:

With 4 point strain sensors, couldn't it calculate the location based on the delta between all the readings? But of course there's the whole moving the cursor around by barely touching the surface, unless the sensors are just that accurate.

It's possible, I think. Although the hard part would be to map the space of 4 forces -> position and total force. It would also get more complicated if it is supported by parts of the chassis. Then the force feedback could affect the reading as well.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

Ziploc posted:

Can I still assign two finger clicks to the bottom right of the touchpad?

Yeah.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Recently tried hooking my MBP up to a Dell U2415 monitor (display to mini-display) kind of expecting all the USB ports on the monitor to just function right from the get go but no dice. Am I missing something?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Thoogsby posted:

Recently tried hooking my MBP up to a Dell U2415 monitor (display to mini-display) kind of expecting all the USB ports on the monitor to just function right from the get go but no dice. Am I missing something?
Did you plug the upstream USB port on the U2415 into the MBP? DisplayPort isn't going to carry the USB hub's signal to the MBP.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Thoogsby posted:

It's a hub setup, you need to hook up a USB cable from your MBP to the monitor for the USB ports to work.

E:FB

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
I'm an idiot. Thanks.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Thoogsby posted:

I'm an idiot. Thanks.

If you have a Dell monitor whose USB ports actually work, feel lucky. For me they all seem to come nonfunctioning or die within a few months. Got a brand-new $700 P2715Q (4K monitor) a few days ago and as usual, nonfunctioning USB. Fortunately hidden as they are the ports are pretty useless anyway so I don't much care (I was just hoping to put my Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse receiver up there for better signal strength).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In our office it's more likely the USB cable has disappeared than anything else.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Choadmaster posted:

If you have a Dell monitor whose USB ports actually work, feel lucky. For me they all seem to come nonfunctioning or die within a few months. Got a brand-new $700 P2715Q (4K monitor) a few days ago and as usual, nonfunctioning USB. Fortunately hidden as they are the ports are pretty useless anyway so I don't much care (I was just hoping to put my Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse receiver up there for better signal strength).

I've used countless Dell monitors at home and at work, and literally not a single one has ever had a failed USB hub.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Finally had a chance to watch the keynote. I assume that the next iPhone/iPad generations will swap out Lightning for USB-C?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Chris Knight posted:

Finally had a chance to watch the keynote. I assume that the next iPhone/iPad generations will swap out Lightning for USB-C?
Probably not, no.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I hope not. Everyone, including myself, has bought into the Lightning thing. It'd be a dick move because what functionality do you gain? None. Just "spend money because we changed our mind". Which is very Apple-like, true, but I hope it doesn't happen. It sucks for the consumer but it sucks a lot for the manufacturers who spent god knows how much on getting their stuff certified, in stores, etc.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

One of the main reasons for developing the lightning connection in the first place was to be able to make the phone thinner, so replacing it with USB-C doesn't make much sense in that regard. Not to mention all of the other reasons you could think of as to why that won't happen.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Plus there's all of the accessories which will be coming out this year with lightning port charging and power passthrough capability. Battery cases, battery packs, bluetooth headphones, ect.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

It's pretty crazy now quickly the refurb 2012 Mac Minis sell out. I've been watching the refurb store/refurb.me for over a month waiting for either the base i5 or i7 to appear without any luck. Go out of town to a place with horrible cellular service and finally am able to check my email this morning to see both had come in stock only to go back out of stock. Of course it was at 5:30 am so I'd have been asleep anyway but still, I'm thinking it's going to be almost impossible to get one now if it took over a month for this last batch...

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Chris Knight posted:

Well, they'll probably come with a USB-C->Lightning cable maybe?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Chris Knight posted:

I'm not sure what they'll do, but the speculation becomes more interesting if you believe John Gruber's assertion that Apple invented USB Type-C.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Chris Knight posted:

Apple is in love with proprietary ports, so probably not.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Apple is in love with proprietary ports, so probably not.
They're not nearly as bad as they used to be, and now they're just in love with proprietary ports when nothing on the market is suitable to their uses. In recent years they've at least shown a willingness to design a "proprietary" port and then standardize it. See: mini-DisplayPort and later Thunderbolt.

Lightning strikes me as a stop-gap anyway, but whether they'll burn customers with a quick connector change (I guess it's been over 2 years already) remains to be seen. I won't be too bent out of shape because in theory Type-C cables should be cheaper, and I don't buy into proprietary connector accessories like stereo docks or whatever. It'd probably cost me ~$20 at Monoprice to replace everything I've got.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

~$20 at Monoprice to replace everything I've got.

This is true. Monoprice is the most amazing website.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Unless you're in Canada, then it takes weeks to get anything because I feel like they tell USPS they absolutely want the slowest and cheapest and shittiest shipping method.

I go to Canada Post, send something cheapest method to the US, it's there in a week or so. I order something from China with the cheapest shipping method, it's here in a week or two.

I order something from Monoprice with the cheapest shipping method, 3 weeks later it's not here. No tracking so I don't know where it is. It always does eventually arrive, though. Just not something you can rely on for stuff you need now, if you're a Canadian.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

If they go to wireless charging like the watch, then a lot less people will really care what the port is on the iPad / iPhone.

Also, I played with the new trackpad today. It works great, and force touch will be useful once apps use it. I don't think the staff got training on it yet though, because someone asked about it and they just kinda said there had been some upgrade.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 15, 2015

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
Considering:
- the lightning connector was introduced for size, reversibility, and power features
- the EU made Apple release a lightning to USB adaptor
- USB type-C is basically a lightning connector (and potentially developed by Apple anyways)
- the new Macbook is basically an appliance similarly to iPhones and iPads
- Apple has no problem getting rid of adaptors

I'd be very surprised if iPads and iPhones didn't have the USB type-C connector in future models. Maybe not this year, but definitely by the time all their computers adopt USB type-C.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

passionate dongs posted:

Considering:
- the lightning connector was introduced for size, reversibility, and power features
- the EU made Apple release a lightning to USB adaptor
- USB type-C is basically a lightning connector (and potentially developed by Apple anyways)
- the new Macbook is basically an appliance similarly to iPhones and iPads
- Apple has no problem getting rid of adaptors

I'd be very surprised if iPads and iPhones didn't have the USB type-C connector in future models. Maybe not this year, but definitely by the time all their computers adopt USB type-C.
Nah. USB-C is like twice the thickness of a lightning port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Nah. USB-C is like twice the thickness of a lightning port.
huh. didn't know that.