Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
The bible also doesn't give the value of pi as three unless you expect the measurements given for ancient architecture to be super accurate. It gives the measurement of part of the temple as 10 cubits across and 30 cubits around which is pretty reasonable considering the cubit isn't even very well defined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Guavanaut posted:

And back in Bible days they thought it was 3. This guy's going to lay down some new knowledge on those dorks from the Victorian Bible times with computers and poo poo. Like six different computers.

This is a misconception based on a not-supposed-to-be-literal description of a building in Kings. Pi has almost always been 3.mumble, even when it was first discovered.

Now, what you SHOULD be worried about is a trend in standardized tests that pushes kids to use 3 in place of pi. That's going to change what their teachers teach, and how they teach it. Numbers with decimals look cluttered and confusing, so they're just paving over the actual math part of math to avoid damaging the precious egg-like children that legislators legislate for.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Now, what you SHOULD be worried about is a trend in standardized tests that pushes kids to use 3 in place of pi. That's going to change what their teachers teach, and how they teach it. Numbers with decimals look cluttered and confusing, so they're just paving over the actual math part of math to avoid damaging the precious egg-like children that legislators legislate for.

Link?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

This is a misconception based on a not-supposed-to-be-literal description of a building in Kings. Pi has almost always been 3.mumble, even when it was first discovered.

What? Where is this happening?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Otisburg posted:

yes but did they have pcs with dvd drives to run the numbers?

Oh man! Discs are like, circular, so they know all about pi. And my Intel i7 Processor and 500GB of RAM will be wonderful at "crunching numbers." :downswords:

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

When I worked as a math tutor, it was in the material we went over with the students. I don't have any on hand and a cursory Googling didn't turn anything up, but here's an article on the history of that "Bible says pi=3" thing.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Protocol7 posted:

Oh man! Discs are like, circular, so they know all about pi. And my Intel i7 Processor and 500GB of RAM will be wonderful at "crunching numbers." :downswords:

Forget Xeons. His plan is to use Opterons, which are more expensive and worse at calculating pi than i7s (at least based on a quick look at the y-cruncher benchmarks).

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
"Hi, I'm an intellectual. And just like you, I am concerned with many current events and seek solutions to these problems. I need 10,000 dollars to make a website that allows people from many walks of life to come together and solve all of the world's problems. No, I don't know how a website can do that. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a video to film near the interstate".

__________________________________________/

Chuck Norris jokes are good and funny in the year 2015.

Each and every one of the 15-50 YouTube LP-superstars in this fighting game is going to have a unique fighting style. For the low, low price of 1000 dollars you too will be included into the game as your own playable character.

Zybourne Clock has a new favorite as of 18:52 on Mar 9, 2015

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Zybourne Clock posted:

Each and every one of the 15-50 YouTube LP-superstars in this fighting game is going to have a unique fighting style. For the low, low price of 1000 dollars you too will be included into the game as your own playable character.

quote:

As for the play-style I want to go for the fluid controls of Street Fighter, with the brutality of Mortal Kombat, and the environment interactivity of Injustice. i also what to implement a tag team feature like Marvel Vs. Capcom in which every set of characters will have a set of unique Super moves they do with each other.

All that for just $250k! And don't worry, he'll only hire the best people to make the game.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Great Rumbler posted:

All that for just $250k! And don't worry, he'll only hire the best people to make the game.

Hmmm. Well, it would probably be the first fighting game with more than one fat guy character at least.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
There's already been one successful Youtubers: The Game, though. If this idiot had actually contacted the youtubers before creating his kickstarter, I'm sure they'd have lend their support (for a cut) and this poo poo would have exploded like the proverbial kitten.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
loving shocked he's not throwing it together out of re-painted sprites in MUGEN so good job on that much at least.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Zybourne Clock posted:

Lol he couldn't even be assed to ask anyone for permission beforehand so worst case scenario we're looking at a roster of a dozen Minecraft LPers nobody's heard of and Slowbeef because he thinks it's hilarious.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

dijon du jour posted:

Lol he couldn't even be assed to ask anyone for permission beforehand so worst case scenario we're looking at a roster of a dozen Minecraft LPers nobody's heard of and Slowbeef because he thinks it's hilarious.

Yeah, the way he's going about it is dumb as gently caress.

He's ripping off some of the Rooster Teeth/Achievement Hunter guys, and they seem like the type of company where if this was a viable idea, they would've helped him out with the initial cost, provided substantial marketing to the exact group it's targeted at, for a reasonable cut.

Rudager has a new favorite as of 02:45 on Mar 10, 2015

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
Here's a KickStarter that isn't necessarily awful but still made me laugh regardless.

Ian Williams is a simple man with a simple dream: to make a potato-powered flight to near space. He's got a rather unique reward tier:

Pledge $10 or more posted:

POTATO WHISPERER: A computer program will speak your names to the potato, on loop, for 24 hours prior to its flight (this will be livestreamed).

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Not an awful kickstarter but one that is going to rake in the cash:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/con-man#home

Alan Tudyk and Nathan Fillion are making a webseries. :allears: It's making about $200 a second, literally.

edit: ok not literally

hollylolly has a new favorite as of 22:11 on Mar 11, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

hollylolly posted:

Alan Tudyk and Nathan Fillion are making a webseries. :allears: It's making about $200 a second, literally.

*donates*

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

And back in Bible days they thought it was 3. This guy's going to lay down some new knowledge on those dorks from the Victorian Bible times with computers and poo poo. Like six different computers.

I thought Bible days had a value of 22/7 for pi.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

hollylolly posted:

how much do i have to pay for them to do it :q:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

hollylolly posted:

gently caress, I wanna donate, but I'm too cash strapped. I'm going to go make a kickstarter so I can get funds to donate.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

theflyingexecutive posted:

I thought Bible days had a value of 22/7 for pi.
Depends where in the world you're looking at. Hippasus had some idea about irrational numbers (which could not be reduced to a ratio) some time in the 5th century BC, and mathematicians in Egypt and Mesopotamia had values between of 3.125 (3 and an eighth) and 3.162 (the start of the square root of 10) using geometry way before those Bible verses were written. I wasn't being serious with the pi = 3 thing, but it gets thrown around a lot. Kickstarter guy is not going to find out anything new about pi with his 6 free PCs.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Redditors, in their quest to be unoriginal hacks, have started putting together a kickstarter to steal dickbutt and put it on a billboard

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/645605222/819026021?token=6015c80f

edit: Ahahaha there's a whole subreddit where they're discussing how to sell merchandise of a meme they don't own:

http://www.reddit.com/r/DickbuttBillboard/

vvYep, poo poo that was quick.

pathetic little tramp has a new favorite as of 21:45 on Mar 12, 2015

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Unsurprisingly that link 404s so a dmca must've gotten through. What idiots.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mercury Hat posted:

Unsurprisingly that link 404s so a dmca must've gotten through. What idiots.

Nope. It took the creator showing up in their playpen and telling them to stop it.

http://www.reddit.com/r/DickbuttBillboard/comments/2ytw35/hey_guys/

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
DICKBUTT SHOULD BELONG TO THE PEOPLE!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

hollylolly posted:

Kinda wanna donate a dollar to this just to make Alan Tudyk read out 'Dicklord Gayus' in a public video

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Kinda wanna donate a dollar to this just to make Alan Tudyk read out 'Dicklord Gayus' in a public video

Wow, it looks like they added a Full Season (12 eps I think, too lazy to add it up) as a stretch goal. At the rate they've been raking in the cash, I'd say they'll make it.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

After the webseries they can start a multichannel network and just do LPs instead of real content. Felicia Day can show them how.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

pathetic little tramp posted:

Redditors, in their quest to be unoriginal hacks, have started putting together a kickstarter to steal dickbutt and put it on a billboard

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/645605222/819026021?token=6015c80f

edit: Ahahaha there's a whole subreddit where they're discussing how to sell merchandise of a meme they don't own:

http://www.reddit.com/r/DickbuttBillboard/

vvYep, poo poo that was quick.

idiot redditor yugidude1 posted:

tell him to go suck a dickbutt? once you release something to the internet good luck keeping control of it

:lol:

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

he's right, it's completely impossible to control your intellectual property on the internet. Just look at troll face!

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

FlyinPingu posted:

he's right, it's completely impossible to control your intellectual property on the internet. Just look at troll face!

Hey man, Shueisha can't even keep control of their IP enough to deny him that sweet username. Sky's the limit.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/159628170/the-arcanum-30th-anniversary-edition/posts/1146687

:stare:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FlyinPingu posted:

Or Poptart/Nyan Cat.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Uhhhhhhh wow. Full-on meltdown right there.

quote:

I have tried getting the money by refinancing my house... I am in too drat much debt and so they will not let me do that. I have a refund coming this year from the State and Federal taxes. That was supposed to be here last week. Then, the sites said *no later than Wednesday, 25 February" -- and here we are and no deposit. When I get the money, it will go to Amazon. When Amazon gets the money, it will go to you.

I kinda feel bad for the guy, but he also seems like an rear end in a top hat so...

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
What happened there? Did he blow all the money and get shut down by lawyers?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ensign Expendable posted:

What happened there? Did he blow all the money and get shut down by lawyers?

It was only a few thousand and he blew it all.

I think he's just trying to live up to Kickstarter's new "you must deliver or pay people back" rules, maybe for fear of possible lawyers if he doesn't.

I'm kinda surprised he didn't just close down his kickstarter account and run for it like most people do.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

He deleted all the posts on the subreddit except for a little whining about how "social justice warriors" kept telling him he couldn't steal someone else's work and profit off it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

He deleted all the posts on the subreddit except for a little whining about how "social justice warriors" kept telling him he couldn't steal someone else's work and profit off it.

Those stupid SJWs and their stupid copyright protections they keep pushing on everyone!

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Well apparently they were right. He couldn't profit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
Time to dust off your fire extinguishers for this "life hack" reversible USB plug adapter
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1255122491/ryo-adapter-never-plug-in-your-usb-the-wrong-way-a/

quote:

Jamming a cable the wrong way into your computer, gaming console or charger can do costly damage to your cables and the USB ports of your expensive devices.

No it can't you loving liars, there's a hard piece of plastic in the way.

quote:

The ryo adapter will work with all your existing cables, doesn't matter if you have an Android, iPhone, iPad, Windows phone, gaming mouse or a portable hard drive - the ryo adapter will protect them all.
Protect them from what?

quote:

In addition to that, the LCP material will provide insulation, protecting your ports and allowing you to get more charges out of your cables.
Everybody call your local electrician, we need to stop using copper wiring because it runs out of charges without this adapter.

Don't worry, they already hit their first stretch goal. When they hit 1000 backers they released an EXCLUSIVE wallpaper background!