Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

good horse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Chris Knight posted:

watching my tv
man comes on to tell me
how thin my laptop could be
but he can't be a man cuz he don't drink
the same craft beer as me

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
it's always funny when people assume they can go up to animals and just pet them. and then they ignore blatant body language like who the gently caress doesn't know that having its ears laid back is a sign of anger in pretty much every loving species

"domesticated" doesn't imply "friendly"

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

ol qwerty bastard posted:

it's always funny when people assume they can go up to animals and just pet them. and then they ignore blatant body language like who the gently caress doesn't know that having its ears laid back is a sign of anger in pretty much every loving species

"domesticated" doesn't imply "friendly"
a horse with its ears pinned back being a humongous red flag is like day 1 farm wisdom

SquallStrife
Jan 20, 2009

"The Goon" by Metanaut.

regular show best show

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Kenny Logins posted:

a horse with its ears pinned back being a humongous red flag is like day 1 farm wisdom

number of days bike man spent on a farm: 0

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
immediately after he started a blog about banning all horses from farms because they're dangerous and only he should have the right to be there.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Kenny Logins posted:

cats do the same thing

and dogs

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I can 100% believe that a large portion of people who grew up without animals do not know that kind of stuff. Same as you and I probably don't know a shitload of stuff about herbs and so on, or about vulture gestures, or salt mine etiquette, etc.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

wayfinder posted:

I can 100% believe that a large portion of people who grew up without animals do not know that kind of stuff. Same as you and I probably don't know a shitload of stuff about herbs and so on, or about vulture gestures, or salt mine etiquette, etc.

iawtp

it makes me sad when i meet people who are afraid of dogs in general, though :(

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

wayfinder posted:

nah, that dude just thinks nothing he does is ever wrong so theres no way the horse would hurt him.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

wayfinder posted:

salt mine etiquette, etc.

wow look at this guy never been to a salt mine. the most important thing is to clear the slide as quickly as possible so as not to hold up the people behind you

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
fair enough though i'd also wager that if there was any sort of person to talk to on the premises that said day 1 farm wisdom would be the first thing they say

even in pre-hyper-litigious days but especially since

same as the salt mine foreman, if present, wouldn't let you in without telling you a thing or two

horses are very bitey and kicky and have been for thousands of years

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Shaggar posted:

nah, that dude just thinks nothing he does is ever wrong so theres no way the horse would hurt him.
quotin' shaggar truth to power

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Kenny Logins posted:

fair enough though i'd also wager that if there was any sort of person to talk to on the premises that said day 1 farm wisdom would be the first thing they say

even in pre-hyper-litigious days but especially since

same as the salt mine foreman, if present, wouldn't let you in without telling you a thing or two

horses are very bitey and kicky and have been for thousands of years

somebody post that hilarious series of quotes about horses from the fyad guy. wulgus, maybe?

(the new forum search is good, but i guess it doesn't go back to the last time i asked for this stuff :shobon:)

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

big scary monsters posted:

wow look at this guy never been to a salt mine.
excuse me?

I crossed national borders underground in a salt mine when you were merely a jar of yoghurt in the supermarket

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

big scary monsters posted:

wow look at this guy never been to a salt mine. the most important thing is to clear the slide as quickly as possible so as not to hold up the people behind you

i thought the #1 rule was "always bet on goku"

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

wayfinder posted:

excuse me?

I crossed national borders underground in a salt mine when you were merely a jar of yoghurt in the supermarket

i still think it's funny the way britishers say "yogurt". they pronounce it like "yog-hurt" instead of "yo-gurt"

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 371 days!
I had a friend in high school who kept horses. One of them took fright at its own shadow and broke two legs trying to get away. horses are easily frightened and frighteningly stupid

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

wayfinder posted:

excuse me?

here me basically

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

prefect posted:

somebody post that hilarious series of quotes about horses from the fyad guy. wulgus, maybe?

(the new forum search is good, but i guess it doesn't go back to the last time i asked for this stuff :shobon:)

wesley snypes posted:

I had a friend in high school who kept horses. One of them took fright at its own shadow and broke two legs trying to get away. horses are easily frightened and frighteningly stupid

pyf has its occasional uses

Ruddha posted:
I don't know about anyone else, but I know for a fact that horses are stupider than poo poo and WILL kill themselves if you don't take an absurd amount of precautions and adorn them in the right silly accessories so that they don't scare themselves and fall over dead, and even then at best you can reduce the chances that they will do that, but they're still absolutely going to. Women who are obsessed with horses are just as bad as ones who are obsessed with anything else, but it may be dumber because it's a placeholder for animalistic male sexuality; however, in reality, it doesn't hold up because dominant male sexual energy is incompatible with horse personality and tendencies because, again, they're absolutely going to kill themselves by accident, whereas studs and straight power tops are highly unlikely to catch their reflection in a mirror then break their leg and get eaten by a mountain lioness

Ruddha posted:
Of course, if you don't nail little metal rings onto them, they'll split open, and then they'll die.

Ruddha posted:
I personally guarantee you a dog will never in this life hear a bee then have a heart attack out of fear, dying

Ruddha posted:
Babies grow up and that's okay, it's like, sometimes a great meal is worth a lot of prep, for example. Horses only get more likely to die from a stupid reason as they get older. Oh poor ol' Freckles, thought of ants and died

Ruddha posted:
That's understandable, but in the scheme of things it's a fairly low chance. With horses, there is no such thing as a natural death at any point in existence: they've strictly only died from stupid poo poo. Saw water and passed away

Aleph Null posted:
My dad had a horse fall in a hole and almost die. They had to use a truck wench to get her out. She was too weak to walk so they tied ropes between two trees to hold her up. It took days of them hand feeding her before she could stand or walk on her own.

Less than a month later, she fell in the same hole and died.

Baronjutter posted:
As someone who grew up with a couple friends into horses and loving dressage I can say that if anything you are being way too easy going on them. Its like their survival strategy is to break their legs or kill them selves at the slightest sign of danger, or a noise, or a change in humidity.

My friends barn had to install a big fence because they were next to a turkey farm and despite the horses seeing these birds every single loving day, any time you'd ride past them most of the horses would briefly flip out and hurt them selves or throw their rider when the turkeys came into view. You could literally ride in a loop for an hour and every single time the horse would "scare" at the turkeys.

Maybe wilder horses are smarter but dressage horses are more fragile and stupid than a baby that just learned to crawl. They will jump onto fences and cut them selves in half, they will get stuck between buildings, they will randomly for no reason at all break their legs. If there is a way to kill or hurt them selves they will find it. And people drop 50k or more on these idiots.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

wayfinder posted:

here me basically

you'll get yours, von raitenau

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Kenny Logins posted:

Ruddha posted:
I don't know about anyone else, but I know for a fact that horses are stupider than poo poo and WILL kill themselves if you don't take an absurd amount of precautions and adorn them in the right silly accessories so that they don't scare themselves and fall over dead, and even then at best you can reduce the chances that they will do that, but they're still absolutely going to. Women who are obsessed with horses are just as bad as ones who are obsessed with anything else, but it may be dumber because it's a placeholder for animalistic male sexuality; however, in reality, it doesn't hold up because dominant male sexual energy is incompatible with horse personality and tendencies because, again, they're absolutely going to kill themselves by accident, whereas studs and straight power tops are highly unlikely to catch their reflection in a mirror then break their leg and get eaten by a mountain lioness

Ruddha posted:
Of course, if you don't nail little metal rings onto them, they'll split open, and then they'll die.

Ruddha posted:
I personally guarantee you a dog will never in this life hear a bee then have a heart attack out of fear, dying

Ruddha posted:
Babies grow up and that's okay, it's like, sometimes a great meal is worth a lot of prep, for example. Horses only get more likely to die from a stupid reason as they get older. Oh poor ol' Freckles, thought of ants and died

Ruddha posted:
That's understandable, but in the scheme of things it's a fairly low chance. With horses, there is no such thing as a natural death at any point in existence: they've strictly only died from stupid poo poo. Saw water and passed away

Aleph Null posted:
My dad had a horse fall in a hole and almost die. They had to use a truck wench to get her out. She was too weak to walk so they tied ropes between two trees to hold her up. It took days of them hand feeding her before she could stand or walk on her own.

Baronjutter posted:
As someone who grew up with a couple friends into horses and loving dressage I can say that if anything you are being way too easy going on them. Its like their survival strategy is to break their legs or kill them selves at the slightest sign of danger, or a noise, or a change in humidity.

My friends barn had to install a big fence because they were next to a turkey farm and despite the horses seeing these birds every single loving day, any time you'd ride past them most of the horses would briefly flip out and hurt them selves or throw their rider when the turkeys came into view. You could literally ride in a loop for an hour and every single time the horse would "scare" at the turkeys.

Maybe wilder horses are smarter but dressage horses are more fragile and stupid than a baby that just learned to crawl. They will jump onto fences and cut them selves in half, they will get stuck between buildings, they will randomly for no reason at all break their legs. If there is a way to kill or hurt them selves they will find it. And people drop 50k or more on these idiots.

pretty much all domesticated horses are inbred worse than purebred dogs

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I want a collie :(

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Kenny Logins posted:

Ruddha posted:

Ruddha posted:

Ruddha posted:

Ruddha posted:

Ruddha posted:

Aleph Null posted:

Baronjutter posted:

rofl

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Valeyard posted:

I want a collie :(

working dogs are usually fine since they actually have to function outside of show rooms

pram
Jun 10, 2001
are horses really that dumb lol

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
cyalater rocketlords

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AxAYFSsMrw&t=1120s

e: if time is being stupid go to 18:40

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Improbable Lobster posted:

working dogs are usually fine since they actually have to function outside of show rooms

I'm just worried about the time to give it proper exercise, I don't want it sitting around bored

Also if you don't believe horses are dumb as poo poo then look up "cribbing"

Its work safe

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

pram posted:

yes

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 371 days!
horses don't really 'need' shoes, but without them, there's a nonzero chance that they will stand in a patch dampened by their own piss long and often enough to start their hooves rotting

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

pram posted:

yes

I worked in a stable that did pony rides when I was a teenager. this was horses used to strange people and kids, and of Scandinavian working horse breeds so they didn't have the stupid bred into them like dressage horses. none of the horses died or even had an accident while I was there, but still extremely stupid animals.

in the wild horses live on plains where it works run like hell straight ahead for a long while if something scary or slightly unfamiliar appears. tame horses spook easily and do the same thing and run straight into trees, rocks and holes in the ground.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 371 days!
it's the same with deer, their main strategy is as follows: if there is a noise, do a 180 and run as fast as you can until you can't run any more

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Kenny Logins posted:

Ruddha posted:

Ruddha posted:

Ruddha posted:

Ruddha posted:

Ruddha posted:

Aleph Null posted:

Baronjutter posted:

this is both amazing and 100% true

wesley snypes posted:

it's the same with deer, their main strategy is as follows: if there is a noise, do a 180 and run as fast as you can until you can't run any more

i remember when everyone was like 'oh deer are cute!' then i moved to the mountains and found that image is entirely false they are actually tall rats but less domesticated (than wild rats)

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

my horse is really nice and usually calm but on the other hand there was the incident where she suddenly jumped and threw me into a wall, giving me a concussion

or the incident where i was riding her and she tried for some reason to sit down like a dog, and flipped over backwards on top of me

or

okay yeah horses are pretty stupid. i do like them though

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Liver Disaster posted:

i remember when everyone was like 'oh deer are cute!' then i moved to the mountains and found that image is entirely false they are actually tall rats but less domesticated (than wild rats)

rats are pretty smart

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

prefect posted:

rats are pretty smart

in comparison to hampsters

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

ok captain bougie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

didnt they recently discover that the black plague was actually carried around by like guinea pigs or something, not rats

rats got an entirely undeserved bad rap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72KsjWUCUJQ

• Locked thread