Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Red7 is pretty cool UNO for cool people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Weirdly, while hanging out with some beers and good convos we end up playing Timeline pretty often. And it isn't me forcing it on my friends it is usually "Soooo did you bring Timeline???????" Half the people don't pay a ton of attention, people swap in and out, some people drink (or assign drinks) based on getting it right or wrong, etc. But we're also nerds who like the light trivia aspect to it.
The new favorite is Skulls (huge hit, thanks thread), but it requires paying some attention haha. Quick play time, swapping in and out, and up to 6 are pluses.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Skulls is absolutely a fun game though I agree that you kinda need to be paying a little attention while you play it.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

OmegaGoo posted:

:psyduck:

How? What...?

Nevermind, it's Rutibex. Just smile and nod...

How dare you, rutibex is a treasure.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Just chiming in to say pictomania is loving awesome. Played it with my family and everyone immediately wanted to play it again.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Jim Gaffigan has a review up of Pictomania: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54HtiRhJzTs

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

If love letter is too in depth for you, then man, I dunno... Bingo?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Indolent Bastard posted:

It sounds like you'd be better served with a traditional card game or Uno or something super basic. I think you might be over reaching looking into contemporary board games if lots of what has been suggested is too involved for your lounge gaming.

Though having said that, have you seen Jungle Speed?

yeah probably. But Skulls and roses looks good.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Crain posted:

Oh god not that game. We played it. But one of us is a drummer and stupid dexterous. He rocked face at that and everyone else pretty much only got like a couple turns before he turned the stack into some twisted, Eldritch abomination that we couldn't tap in any direction without dropping the whole thing.

Peak Click Clack for me was about 3 weeks ago when I flicked the axe (from behind my thumb) upward, trying to vertically knock the bark off the side (closest to the camera) of the piece in the third row down in the following image.

The bark went about 2 feet straight up into the air and then landed on top of the tree as depicted. gently caress my life.

But you should get the game anyway. Force drummer guy to do some sort of silly handicap, like fewer swings, not bending his elbows, or keeping both hands on the handle.

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

Clockwork Gadget posted:

don't back kickstarters

Why? What am I missing?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Taste the Rainbugh posted:

Why? What am I missing?

Nothing, haha!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Why? What am I missing?

They're unreliable, in several ways. You have no idea if the game will come out as scheduled; For a great example, look at 2 Room and a Boom, which completed its KS in November 2013 and is currently forecast for this July, and has been pushed back many, many times. Also, there probably won't be many reviews available, if any. That means you'll be relying on whatever established tastemakers like Tom Vasel have to say about the game's quality instead of waiting for it to be available to the wider public. It's worth considering that any reviews linked on the KS itself will be obviously pruned for the positive ones, and it's not unlikely the person/company would only send copies of their game to someone they were pretty sure would review it positively anyway. This doesn't even touch on the fact that many KS games will be available for less money relatively shortly after it goes retail.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Why? What am I missing?

It's rare for a successful kickstarter to actually translate into a product that doesn't suck. Sometimes the product is released but is disappointing, defective, and/or generally lovely; sometimes the entire project crashes and burns under the weight of false promises and unrealistic ambition and the product doesn't get released at all.

But if it DOES end up being a product that doesn't suck, you can just buy it, on Amazon or whatever, like a normal person. You might get it a lot later than other people, and you might miss out on super sweet exclusive backer rewards, but you'll also pay half of what people who backed the kickstarter paid, and you can actually make sure it's a good product before you buy, instead of relying on promises, hope, and fairy dust.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I will second Timeline and Skull (or Skulls and Roses or whatever it's called) and most of the others that have been mentioned. Hanabi is a terrible game for playing while unfocused and drunk, so pass on that (unless you want sober and thinky awesomeness).
I usually get lots of requests for Ghost Blitz whenever I'm drinking, because that poo poo is fun. Tsuro also works pretty well, but it doesn't have unlimited replays. I haven't yet play Ugg-tect, but maybe that works too?

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

DontMockMySmock posted:

It's rare for a successful kickstarter to actually translate into a product that doesn't suck. Sometimes the product is released but is disappointing, defective, and/or generally lovely; sometimes the entire project crashes and burns under the weight of false promises and unrealistic ambition and the product doesn't get released at all.

But if it DOES end up being a product that doesn't suck, you can just buy it, on Amazon or whatever, like a normal person. You might get it a lot later than other people, and you might miss out on super sweet exclusive backer rewards, but you'll also pay half of what people who backed the kickstarter paid, and you can actually make sure it's a good product before you buy, instead of relying on promises, hope, and fairy dust.

I figured that much. I mean it's not the end of the world for me if its bad. Looking at the licensed games they already put out I'm not to concerned if that they won't deliver. They have a six game retail bundle that worked out to the game being around $40.00 each for the most bare bones version. So most likely stores will have it at $60.00 if not more for the basic version. The exclusive bosses and additional tiles for backing the kickstarter are what made me jump in. It's about an original game + three expansion packs worth of games and the buy in for the kickstarter puts it at less then what that would be retail. They actually demoed it at a con I was at and it looked great. The game looks like it will play similar to zombicide which I enjoyed. And most of the time our gaming group usually adjust the rules to make the game play how we want anyway.

Also if I really hate it I could sell it on eBay with the exclusives down the line and most likely make more then what I payed for it originally.

Did the people saying not to back a kickstarter get burned before? Is their other stories like the one posted?

Chomp8645 posted:

Nothing, haha!

What?

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

DontMockMySmock posted:

You might get it a lot later than other people,

There have been several games mentioned in this thread where people were buying retail copies months before backers got theirs.

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

There have been several games mentioned in this thread where people were buying retail copies months before backers got theirs.

Would that issue be with getting the exclusives together?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Worse are games that don't live up to the hype. Lots of KS games are great in concept but fall apart once people get them to the table. I think Lagoon (?) was a good recent example of that. Looked nice didn't stand up repeat plays.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Indolent Bastard posted:

Worse are games that don't live up to the hype. Lots of KS games are great in concept but fall apart once people get them to the table. I think Lagoon (?) was a good recent example of that. Looked nice didn't stand up repeat plays.

Dead of uhhhhhh

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

silvergoose posted:

Dead of uhhhhhh

Dead of Winter wasn't a kickstarter game, it was just a good old-fashioned over-hyped Bad Game.

That being said, for the love of Vlaada, don't back Ghostbusters. Here's your flashing red warning lights:
- Licensed game(!)
- Miniatures (!!)
- Cryptozoic games (!!!)

Of course the campaign just ended so you've made up your mind already.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Scyther posted:

Dead of Winter wasn't a kickstarter game, it was just a good old-fashioned over-hyped Bad Game.

That being said, for the love of Vlaada, don't back Ghostbusters. Here's your flashing red warning lights:
- Licensed game(!)
- Miniatures (!!)
- Cryptozoic games (!!!)

Outside of say, BSG, is there any licensed game property that's particularly good? I don't usually buy into anything based off a show or whatever. The only other game I've played that was a TV show would be Game of Thrones and that has some problems.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Scyther posted:

- Licensed game(!)

Licensed games aren't always bad though, BSG is pretty much a staple around here, the LOTR LCG is well regarded, and I'm not sure we hate the new Alien game. Mage Knight is also kind of licensed :colbert:
I think it's more about whether it's a PR dude going "yeah, boardgame, do it!" or a game designer going "hey, I could do something awesome with this franchise!"

That said, Ghostbusters will be terrible, don't do it.

Edit: Game of Thrones is not perfect, but it's a drat good game nonetheless. Also Dune, despite its age.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Sloober posted:

Outside of say, BSG, is there any licensed game property that's particularly good? I don't usually buy into anything based off a show or whatever. The only other game I've played that was a TV show would be Game of Thrones and that has some problems.

Dune

efb by an edit
edit #2: Haven't played them but I've heard Civilization and XCOM are good too? (though to be fair, those are both based on video games that are essentially board games)

Deceptive Thinker fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Mar 13, 2015

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
I think the Spartacus game was pretty well regarded too.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

I think the Spartacus game was pretty well regarded too.

Eh, even the SUSD guys disliked it mechanically. They said the game captured the theme pretty well, and the bidding mechanic was good, but the politics phase essentially was a take-that game, and also the most important aspect of the game for winning, and unfortunately I have to agree. If you are going to buy a tie-in game, you could do far worse, but I still wouldn't recommend it.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Dune

efb by an edit
edit #2: Haven't played them but I've heard Civilization and XCOM are good too? (though to be fair, those are both based on video games that are essentially board games)

The civilization boardgame predates the computer game by a fairly significant amount, although there is also a board game based off the computer game. No idea how good it is.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The FFG Warhammer games are varying degrees of good to great.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Scyther posted:

- Licensed game(!)
- Miniatures (!!)
- Cryptozoic games (!!!)

Huh you're right, for some reason I associated its trashiness with kickstarter, but it was a preorder game that got super hyped instead.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

X-Wing, ImpAss

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Licensed games are basically a coin flip in board gaming. There are some legitimately good licensed games (BSG, Rampage if it counts) and a good number of legitimately bad ones (DC Deckbuilder, Resident Evil). I can't even say that homages are better than licensed games because Dungeon Lords and Panic Station are basically the opposite ends of the quality spectrum.

The thing to take away from this is to absolutely ignore the license as a statement of a game's quality. Would you back the Ghostbusters game if it didn't have the Ghostbusters license?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sloober posted:

I personally dislike Age of Empires III, but it's quite highly regarded. Also Eldritch Horror and Cthulhu Wars both probably count as licensed and they're not only good games, they break the rule that all games featuring zombies and/or Cthulhu are poo poo.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

BonHair posted:

Mage Knight is also kind of licensed :colbert:

Mage Knight has the special quality that it is able to fit into every Boardgaming category and be the second best at it. Mage Knight is the Eratosthenes of boardgames.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

So what are some good team vs team games?

7 Wonders teams is a neat variant on that game although it doesn't have a ton of interaction to begin with. BSG really feels like a good team game if you are a Cylon and have a strong suspicion of who the other Cylon is, but that doesn't happen every game I think. I haven't tried the Tash-kalar team game.

X-Wing works decently as a team game because you all silently get to pick your dials at the same time.

alchahest
Dec 28, 2004
Universal Solvent
to counter the KS warnings: Always back Stonemaier games. They tend to arrive early, look and play great, and are generally nicely discounted from retail!

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I was a first day backer for Between Two Cities, I don't think there will be any problems with delivery of the game.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Broken Loose posted:

Licensed games are basically a coin flip in board gaming. There are some legitimately good licensed games (BSG, Rampage if it counts) and a good number of legitimately bad ones (DC Deckbuilder, Resident Evil). I can't even say that homages are better than licensed games because Dungeon Lords and Panic Station are basically the opposite ends of the quality spectrum.

The thing to take away from this is to absolutely ignore the license as a statement of a game's quality. Would you back the Ghostbusters game if it didn't have the Ghostbusters license?

Rampage definitely doesn't count, they got a cease and desist for using that name. That's like the opposite of a licensed game.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

So what are some good team vs team games?

7 Wonders teams is a neat variant on that game although it doesn't have a ton of interaction to begin with. BSG really feels like a good team game if you are a Cylon and have a strong suspicion of who the other Cylon is, but that doesn't happen every game I think. I haven't tried the Tash-kalar team game.

X-Wing works decently as a team game because you all silently get to pick your dials at the same time.

Obligatory Mage Knight. :D

The TvT variant of Pandemic is quite interesting, and while it's not really a second team, as such, so is the bio-terrorist variant. Oh, and if you can fill all eight seats, there's always Memoir '44 Overlord.

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

Broken Loose posted:

It's hard to say yes or no. If a horror style game came along with what is being promised then most likely yes. My favorite board game to play is Zombies!!! with D&D miniatures as bosses which is similar to what the ghostbuster game is. Just with license characters instead of random werewolf's zombies and other creatures.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Broken Loose posted:

Mostly curious what people thought about it; I have no particular preference regarding license or not - i'm too picky with my buying to have explored a lot of options, although I've played a lot (in retrospect, since I was narrowly thinking of TV/movie inspiration than anything else)

It's hard to say yes or no. If a horror style game came along with what is being promised then most likely yes. My favorite board game to play is Zombies!!! with D&D miniatures as bosses which is similar to what the ghostbuster game is. Just with license characters instead of random werewolf's zombies and other creatures.

Does that actually make Zombies!!! good or are you just searching for ways to have it not suck as much as the base game does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

I keep hearing good things about homeland but it's all from bgg echo chamber right now. Sounds great on paper though.