Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Scarf posted:

Don't forget the star stickers.

What? No smiley face? This is bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Kent State may be taking the first steps down the dropping football road. They hired some consultant firm to tell them they have old facilities, don't really have the money to do anything about them, and that they can't afford to follow the P5 cost of attendance program.

http://www.ohio.com/news/break-news/kent-state-university-not-looking-to-cut-sports-programs-1.573698

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Korranus posted:

Kent State may be taking the first steps down the dropping football road. They hired some consultant firm to tell them they have old facilities, don't really have the money to do anything about them, and that they can't afford to follow the P5 cost of attendance program.

http://www.ohio.com/news/break-news/kent-state-university-not-looking-to-cut-sports-programs-1.573698

Someone alert Detroit Dogg.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Detroit Dogg is going to shoot Nick Saban and a bunch of hippies.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Detroit Dogg noooo

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Great White Hope posted:

Detroit Dogg noooo

:(

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Yeah I'm really not worried at all. We also have reports saying that just having a D1 program is a huge deal to prospective students, even if they don't intend to support the team or attend games they want their school to at the very least have a program. Dix is a shithole, the playing surface is bad, the locker room isn't very good, the training area is tiny, the offices are small but gently caress man we're trying to make it work. We're absolutely at the top of the list when it comes to MAC NFL success we just have to make it happen at this level and get the fanbase involved again. It's a tough situation forsure but I don't think the program is going anywhere, and in fact the article doesn't really say anything that damning except that we need to do a better job fundraising and that our facilities suck donkey dick.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Denial is the first stage. :(

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Yeah I'm really not worried at all. We also have reports saying that just having a D1 program is a huge deal to prospective students, even if they don't intend to support the team or attend games they want their school to at the very least have a program. Dix is a shithole, the playing surface is bad, the locker room isn't very good, the training area is tiny, the offices are small but gently caress man we're trying to make it work. We're absolutely at the top of the list when it comes to MAC NFL success we just have to make it happen at this level and get the fanbase involved again. It's a tough situation forsure but I don't think the program is going anywhere, and in fact the article doesn't really say anything that damning except that we need to do a better job fundraising and that our facilities suck donkey dick.

Denial. :(

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Also I do absolutely love this place, it helped me get out of a really bad place in my life and I love everyone involved in this program and the guys I work with outside of it downtown but I'm gone in the next 16 months. Back in the day when I worked D2 stuff it made sense that we had bottom of the barrel everything because hey, it's division 2. But I have no qualms about leaving here for a different job. It's been a super rad ride but Kent was never going to be a long term solution for me.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
And I don't expect it to shutter before I get out of here, and in fact some cool guys were in town just the other day and I did some networking so at least when I'm out of here I at the very least have poo poo available from D3 to FCS.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Because you hate Akron so much, Dogg, this is for you.

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/local-news/akron-canton-news/akron-police-searching-for-someone-who-pooped-on-19-parked-cars

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Neodoomium posted:

Michigan has something like seven quarterbacks on campus right now. One of them, surely, will be better than Nick Sheridan was.

I am better than Nick Sheridan was.

Also Dogg what is your actual job with the team/previous teams you've been with?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
What is the loving state of this country when schools are dropping football programs left and right. :corsair:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I will say that as the MAC goes, there are programs with much worse situations than Kent. Buffalo's "indoor facility" is literally a 6-foot wide hallway where they do sprints. Miami is at least 20 years behind almost everyone in their own facility development. Eastern Michigan is... well, Eastern Michigan. Akron was a joke until the new stadium went up recently too.

I do think Kent is ultimately going to be OK and they'll survive as a football program. This should function as a good motivator to get the private donations up.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'm cackling like Emperor Palpatine over here

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Nick Saban and Gary Pinkel should chip in some of their many millions :colbert:

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
MissSt Alum Greg Sankey will be taking over for Mike Slive.

They're still not relevant.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008

Sash! posted:

I'm cackling like Emperor Palpatine over here

I'd rather have a shuttered football program than inflict 1/100,000,000 of the pain Penn State has caused and inflicted.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
unironically looking forward to the collapse 'amateur' football

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Detroit_Dogg posted:

I'd rather have a shuttered football program than inflict 1/100,000,000 of the pain Penn State has caused and inflicted.

Kent has inflicted more suffering through its alum that is responsible for Star Trek Voyager.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Shut Up, Sash

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Scarf posted:

What is the loving state of this country when schools are dropping football programs left and right. :corsair:

A correction probably long overdue. There's a lot of excess in collegiate sports and football tends to lead the way. The tantalizing fortunes a successful D1 program can provide to a school are often too good to be true and schools hemorrhage money they don't have for something they don't really need.

Not necessarily pointing at Kent State but there's probably 15-20 programs that could stand to either take a step down to FCS or just close shop and focus their attention elsewhere.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

For good evidence of how hard the step up to D1 is, look at UMass and the disaster that's been. They were a fantastic 1-AA program and pretty clearly didn't have a great transition plan. The Charley Molnar hire really didn't help matters either. Now after this coming season the MAC is kicking them out.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
But on the other hand, look at Georgia Southern. :toot:

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Nick Saban and Gary Pinkel should chip in some of their many millions :colbert:

Nick Saban didn't get rich by giving away money, he got rich by interviewing with Texas until the boosters agreed to buy his house and let him live there rent free.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah in some cases it can run really well. UMass made a bad hire, had to play way out in Foxboro in front of a crowd of dozens, and are in a god-awful recruiting area.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Scarf posted:

The cover ups and hush money are getting too expensive :(

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
I don't want to get far into it but over my years I've worked head equipment guy, video coordinator, intern, quality control guy and some other weird jobs. I don't really look back sourly on any of them but there were some that were straight up stupid jobs that I just didn't realize. I have some GA stuff lined up which is nice but I still have a lot to do.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Spacemonkey57 posted:

Nick Saban didn't get rich by giving away money, he got rich by interviewing with Texas until the boosters agreed to buy his house and let him live there rent free.

If I ever have a kid, I'm going to Marinovich him into a coach. Just seems foolish not to.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Tulane got some new alts w/matte black helmets:

Wish I had better pictures.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Sash! posted:

If I ever have a kid, I'm going to Marinovich him into a coach. Just seems foolish not to.

You should Marinovich him into a golfer. You don't have to spend 23 hours a day in a room watching film or kissing high schoolers asses. You just let the old white men line up to throw money and crooked stock tips at you.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

C2C - 2.0 posted:

I thought Tulane was Green and White, why do those jerseys have blue numbers and stripes? Seems kinda umm dumb esp for an alt jersey that isn't one of your core colors.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
I like how they got gloves that say NIKE instead of their logo

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

C2C - 2.0 posted:

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I thought Tulane was Green and White, why do those jerseys have blue numbers and stripes? Seems kinda umm dumb esp for an alt jersey that isn't one of your core colors.

Looks white and gold to me.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Emron posted:

:lol::lol::lol:

Got me there pal

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Blue has always been a part of the uniform, just not a primary color. It's usually in the trim.

Emron posted:

lol

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Spacemonkey57 posted:

You should Marinovich him into a golfer. You don't have to spend 23 hours a day in a room watching film or kissing high schoolers asses. You just let the old white men line up to throw money and crooked stock tips at you.

I'd kill to be just good enough to make the cut reliably and live a comfortable but not wealthy life of golf

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I'm not sure what site I visited to cause this but for the past couple weeks Kent State athletics, primarily basketball, has been showing up constantly in ads on my work computer. They're after me as a fan. I'm desirable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Crotch Bat posted:

A correction probably long overdue. There's a lot of excess in collegiate sports and football tends to lead the way. The tantalizing fortunes a successful D1 program can provide to a school are often too good to be true and schools hemorrhage money they don't have for something they don't really need.

Not necessarily pointing at Kent State but there's probably 15-20 programs that could stand to either take a step down to FCS or just close shop and focus their attention elsewhere.

I'd say there are more than 15-20. At least half of the non P5 schools probably would be much better off going to FCS.

And I wish they would, they're stealing recruits from us and Kansas.

• Locked thread