Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Prison Warden posted:

Yeah you'd think Kais dying of anything short of "extreme old age" would be so rare as to be notable, let alone the cause of death being "evil cyborg space cricket explodified him".

Do Kais even age? I'm reasonably sure they don't. Old Kai is old because an Old Witch took one of his earrings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Iunno, King Kai looks a lot older than Supreme Kai does. Like, if they just pop out of nonexistence fully formed then it'd suck to be the fat cricket dude instead of the hot night elf.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Endorph posted:

Iunno, King Kai looks a lot older than Supreme Kai does. Like, if they just pop out of nonexistence fully formed then it'd suck to be the fat cricket dude instead of the hot night elf.

I'd say that Supreme Kai used the dragon balls but motherfucker doesn't even know what they are.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Exercu posted:

Do Kais even age? I'm reasonably sure they don't. Old Kai is old because an Old Witch took one of his earrings.

When the old Kai gives his life away to Goku, he mentions he only had a 1000 years left, so I assume this also means he basically gave Goku 1000 years to live too.

But he described this as short in context, so presumably they age, but they can live for several thousands of years, but don't age in appearance (he only looks old due to a potara fusion with an old witch) and he presumably gets replaced after he exceeds his age or just goes to get his life back in some way since even Kaioshin's don't seem to take death so seriously.

(recently re-read the local release of the Dragonball manga, so excuse me for using a few terms and ideas I don't think made it into the american dub)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Goku dies/was soon to die of old age around year 801 or so according the the Dragon Ball Online canon (which is supposed actual canon?).
That's like 20 years after the end of Z.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Time Kai is 75 million years old at minimum, so years 1000 years is a drop in the bucket for them.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Mordaedil posted:

When the old Kai gives his life away to Goku, he mentions he only had a 1000 years left, so I assume this also means he basically gave Goku 1000 years to live too.

But he described this as short in context, so presumably they age, but they can live for several thousands of years, but don't age in appearance (he only looks old due to a potara fusion with an old witch) and he presumably gets replaced after he exceeds his age or just goes to get his life back in some way since even Kaioshin's don't seem to take death so seriously.

Make that millions. Supreme Kai was around when Bibidi had Majin Buu gently caress things up 5 million years prior to the series.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It seems like an incredibly bureaucratic system where every Kai and whatever the hell else is around to just do a single thing indefinitely.

Then, of course, martial artists, magicians and space warlords gently caress it all up overnight, repeatedly.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Endorph posted:

King Kai (Hell all the lower Kais other than Grand) is a bug guy, while Kaioshins (Supreme/Timey) are tree guys.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Aurain posted:

Goku dies/was soon to die of old age around year 801 or so according the the Dragon Ball Online canon (which is supposed actual canon?).
That's like 20 years after the end of Z.

Do what now? That would make him 70 or so? There are 95 year old men breaking sprinting records.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
I always thought King Kai was meant to be a carp.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

New Leaf posted:

Do what now? That would make him 70 or so? There are 95 year old men breaking sprinting records.

Too much bacon.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

sharktamer posted:

I always thought King Kai was meant to be a carp.
He kinda does, until this happened.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Petiso posted:

Too much bacon.

How old is Roshi again?

dogs named Charlie
Apr 5, 2009

by exmarx
Roshi drank from the fountain of youth. He's going to outlive everyone.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

dogs named Charlie posted:

Roshi drank from the fountain of youth. He's going to outlive everyone.

Have we ever seen what Roshi looked like when he was young?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Rudoku posted:

Poor dude was just living his life and then Goku teleported a living bomb to his front door.

Sucks.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Raxivace posted:

Have we ever seen what Roshi looked like when he was young?
Yep.

Here he is at about 16-17.

Here he is in, what, his 20s? During the first battle with King Piccolo. (That's Shen in the back.)

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Petiso posted:

Too much bacon.

actually he realized he was growing old and didn't want to die of old age, so he and Vegeta flew out to another galaxy and killed one another in one final blazing glorious combat.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That's the most Goku/Vegeta way to go out ever, really.

"gently caress it, we're old, wanna go murder each other where no one else will get hurt?"
"Yeah, sure."
"Bitchin'"

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

The most Saiyan way to go out.

Especially if it now follows BoG and RoF, where Vegeta will presumably get a powerup to keep on par with SSG Goku.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Rudoku posted:

He was always a cockroach, hence his antenna.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Rudoku posted:

Holy poo poo he actually does have wings.

I thought Xenoverse was loving with me.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

VanSandman posted:

How old is Roshi again?

When I was younger I had a magazine which had a character profile explaining how he "became a pervert at the age of 123" so presumably he's a bit older than that. :v:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

VanSandman posted:

How old is Roshi again?

Daizenshuu says he's over 300 (Born Age 430, the show occurs in the 750s and beyond)

This makes it even funnier because his sister is Fortune Teller Baba who said she's been fortune telling for over 500 years, making her born in Age 250 or earlier.

Also Shen, Tien's teacher is a similar age. Also Mercenary Tao.

This also predates Kami.

Kild fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 13, 2015

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I'm not up on my DB lore; what is the starting point of the calender?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Rudoku posted:

Okay that's legit creepy looking. :stare:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mraagvpeine posted:

Goku was born in Age 734, which I believe is mentioned in some alt. magazine as equivalent to the earth year 1969. So, the 'starting point' of the calendar would be about 1230.

There isn't really a specific BC/AC though, like there is in real world calendar. The cut off for the 'modern age' and 'before age' seems pretty arbitrary..

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

It doesn't ever say, but presumably that's when the Dog is wished to be King?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Kild posted:

Daizenshuu says he's over 300 (Born Age 430, the show occurs in the 750s and beyond)

This makes it even funnier because his sister is Fortune Teller Baba who said she's been fortune telling for over 500 years, making her born in Age 250 or earlier.

Also Shen, Tien's teacher is a similar age. Also Mercenary Tao.

This also predates Kami.

I presume they all drank from the fountain of youth at the same time. Like, Roshi and Shen trained under Mutaito together and Tao and Baba are their relatives. I'm imagining an entire martial arts prequel story with those five characters doing poo poo. Nameless Namek can have a few cameos before the whole Kami/Piccolo split happens.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Prison Warden posted:

I presume they all drank from the fountain of youth at the same time. Like, Roshi and Shen trained under Mutaito together and Tao and Baba are their relatives. I'm imagining an entire martial arts prequel story with those five characters doing poo poo. Nameless Namek can have a few cameos before the whole Kami/Piccolo split happens.

I'd watch the hell out of that. :getin:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

NWS? Maybe http://i.imgur.com/kOH7QyN.jpg

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
On Kai/Shin-Jin (Aka God or Core People) race there are apparently about 80 of them at a time on their world. All are born from fruit of their special trees. One's like the North Kai live for about 75000 years. Every once in a while a Golden Fruit will grow on the trees and a special Shin Jin will be born. These ones can live for millions upon millions of years and are the ones that become Supreme Kai.

When a Kai passes away other Shin Jin draw lots among themselves to select who will be the new one. When a Supreme Kai dies the same thing happens but only ones that were born of the golden fruit can be selected and the Golden Fruit is rare. So the reason why there are not 5 Supreme Kai's again is probably because no more Golden Fruit has grown since they were wiped out by Buu.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 14, 2015

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

gently caress can we compile all the obscure back story please? I thought I knew pretty much everything about DBZ but I had never even heard of that before

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

dr.acula posted:

gently caress can we compile all the obscure back story please? I thought I knew pretty much everything about DBZ but I had never even heard of that before

That poo poo is half the reason I follow this thread, because just about every other source online is full of assholes.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I remember being fascinated by the timeline of DB/DBZ and all the cool poo poo that happened way back during the Kai/Buu times as a kid.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

What do Supreme Kais even do? The 4 King Kais apparently oversee planets in their respective sectors, and nobody appears to care that the current Supreme Kais is really really bad at his job, whatever it is.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The job of the Supreme Kais is to provide exposition about the bad guys and/or antagonists.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The job of a Supreme Kai is to have a rad mohawk and look stunned. Tragically the Supreme Kai would eventually fail at one of his jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

What do Supreme Kais even do? The 4 King Kais apparently oversee planets in their respective sectors, and nobody appears to care that the current Supreme Kais is really really bad at his job, whatever it is.

They're meant to be the opposite to the God of Destruction; where he destroys they create life.

Also while we're talking about obscure DBZ poo poo one of the cooler things I found out about recently was how Toriyama envisions its universe.

• Locked thread