Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

nerve posted:

i love how many wacky niche cases pop up in the android thread

be together, not the same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

WugLyfe posted:

It's a media thing. Has to be able to run the latest Android OS at any given time in that span without an incident that'll leave me with a problem that'd slow down my workflow when I'm away from my computer, run Photoshop Touch/Express, among other things. The quick charge, too is a draw that would solve a lot of problems for me at trade shows, etc.

I am also in the media. Whatever you think you need to be doing with your phone that has crazy chip/power requirements, you don't need to be doing with your phone.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

nerve posted:

i love how many wacky niche cases pop up in the android thread

No, we only recommend Diztronic around here.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Whizbang posted:

I am also in the media. Whatever you think you need to be doing with your phone that has crazy chip/power requirements, you don't need to be doing with your phone.

In a perfect world, yes. You'd be right.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer
The fact that you're being so evasive about what your dumb use case actually is makes me feel like you know it's dumb too but aren't willing to put in the effort to fix it and just want to keep blaming the phones instead.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
He clearly doesn't want to admit to watching all those 72 bit animes you guys love to make fun of.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer
1080p mkv softsubbed rips of My Galaxy S6 Can't Possibly Be This Cute!

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

nmfree posted:

The Android Thread: Have you tried not using your phone wrong?

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Inspect Your Gadgets › The Android Thread - Have you tried not using your phone

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

nerve posted:

no, actually the vast majority of people just use their galaxy or note and never even think about posting in a phone enthusiast thread

I thought you meant more in the sense that you have several different devices to choose from for whatever your use case is.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

WugLyfe posted:

It's a media thing. Has to be able to run the latest Android OS at any given time in that span without an incident that'll leave me with a problem that'd slow down my workflow. Usually with phones I run into problems after about a year, and it's just something I'd like to avoid if at all possible.

I did a bit of reading about people getting stuck on the endless "optimizing" every reboot, and pretty much every case I could find involved some sideloaded app leaving poo poo lying around and causing the cache to get purged, and/or a sideloaded app that doesn't work correctly under ART.

Or a poo poo custom kernel.

I'd also add that if whatever you're doing is actually important then you should not be running the 'latest' you should be running something proven and tested to be stable and not updating past that, until you have another tested combination of os/app. Thinking that you need a 805, or that somehow the latest + 805 + your weird "media" poo poo will be trouble free is just stupidity masquerading as uninformed hopefulness.

What the gently caress are you doing with your phone?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Blitter posted:

I did a bit of reading about people getting stuck on the endless "optimizing" every reboot, and pretty much every case I could find involved some sideloaded app leaving poo poo lying around and causing the cache to get purged, and/or a sideloaded app that doesn't work correctly under ART.

Or a poo poo custom kernel.

I'd also add that if whatever you're doing is actually important then you should not be running the 'latest' you should be running something proven and tested to be stable and not updating past that, until you have another tested combination of os/app. Thinking that you need a 805, or that somehow the latest + 805 + your weird "media" poo poo will be trouble free is just stupidity masquerading as uninformed hopefulness.

What the gently caress are you doing with your phone?

I never said it would be trouble free, I was trying to find the best phone to minimize my risk given some dev use, and a couple other things.

I'll do a deeper dive on the ART thing, I wonder if one of the apps I had just never got the attention it needed for lollipop. Thanks for that.

I've never rooted, nor put a custom ROM, Kernel, sideloaded non Play Store app, or any other hacky BS on this N5-doesn't mean that one of the apps on there might not be the cause. It was old and having battery issues I thought were due to the 5.0.1 update, but the second day after updating to 5.1 the problems went on pause for a bit, then the phone died. A coworker of mine is having similar issues with his on 5.0.1, though its almost assuredly a battery that's long past its cycle.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

WugLyfe posted:

It's a media thing. Has to be able to run the latest Android OS at any given time in that span without an incident that'll leave me with a problem that'd slow down my workflow. Usually with phones I run into problems after about a year, and it's just something I'd like to avoid if at all possible.

This sentence is written with english words, but it doesn't make any sense.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
My Nexus 4 died today. RIP. Its screen is cracked and the touch controls don't work anymore. I want to get a Oneplus One, but my friend who has one doesn't have any invitations. It would suck if I had to wait til Tuesday for the open sale because I use it a lot for work. Does anyone have an invite that they'd be willing to share? US 64gig.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

peeNamaste posted:

My Nexus 4 died today. RIP. Its screen is cracked and the touch controls don't work anymore. I want to get a Oneplus One, but my friend who has one doesn't have any invitations. It would suck if I had to wait til Tuesday for the open sale because I use it a lot for work. Does anyone have an invite that they'd be willing to share? US 64gig.

Yes, I have an invitation, link is here.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Yes, I have an invitation, link is here.

Nexus 6 is out of my price range.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

WugLyfe posted:

It's a media thing. Has to be able to run the latest Android OS at any given time in that span without an incident that'll leave me with a problem that'd slow down my workflow.

Hahaa, holy poo poo are you a real person

Beep boop

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

peeNamaste posted:

There are still places selling 2013 Moto X and 2014 Moto G and things like that. Occasionally even new and not just on eBay.

OnePlus is run by Oppo. They're the lowest-quality of China's "actually probably not a knockoff or cut-rate POS" mobile device manufacturers, but they're still pretty bad both from a hardware and sales method standpoint.

They were also in bed with Cyanogen for a year or two (not anymore, and no one knows what that'll do with their software) and based on how each of them operated they deserved each other.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

This Android Police piece explains the Device Protection scheme designed to prevent reselling stolen phones by making stolen phones useless. I've read through it multiple times and still can't figure out what's preventing someone from unlocking the bootloader and if necessary flashing the factory image. I mean, if the bootloader is unlockable then there really isn't a way to implement a kill switch that I can think of but I'll admit to lacking imagination in this area.

Does anyone know?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

LastInLine posted:

This Android Police piece explains the Device Protection scheme designed to prevent reselling stolen phones by making stolen phones useless. I've read through it multiple times and still can't figure out what's preventing someone from unlocking the bootloader and if necessary flashing the factory image. I mean, if the bootloader is unlockable then there really isn't a way to implement a kill switch that I can think of but I'll admit to lacking imagination in this area.

Does anyone know?

They made an edit, the answer is basically OEM Unlock says it disables the feature, however they say it still works. Also they don't mention if a flash can remove it.

EDIT:

This comment says:

I left my bootloader unlocked. Re-flashed the 5.1 factory images (complete wipe) and I had to login to the Google account I had set up previously in order to start over. So I would say that this still protects you if your bootloader is unlocked and someone flashes a ROM.

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Mar 13, 2015

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

I've read through it multiple times and still can't figure out what's preventing someone from unlocking the bootloader and if necessary flashing the factory image. I mean, if the bootloader is unlockable then there really isn't a way to implement a kill switch that I can think of but I'll admit to lacking imagination in this area.

Does anyone know?
As of Lollipop you can't unlock the bootloader without checking a box within Android (it's in developer tools).

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/11/03/psa-oem-unlock-nexus-6-9-requires-checking-box-developer-options/

I don't have this option on my Nexus 5, which is presumably related to the fact that only new devices (N6/9) are getting this protection feature anyway.

Edit: Rewrote entire post to make actual sense!

Tunga fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Mar 13, 2015

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

peeNamaste posted:

Swappa has some listings for it if you still want one.

Kaiju Cage Match fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Mar 13, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

They made an edit, the answer is basically OEM Unlock says it disables the feature, however they say it still works. Also they don't mention if a flash can remove it.

EDIT:

This comment says:

I left my bootloader unlocked. Re-flashed the 5.1 factory images (complete wipe) and I had to login to the Google account I had set up previously in order to start over. So I would say that this still protects you if your bootloader is unlocked and someone flashes a ROM.
drat it, I rely on my Chrome comment blocker extension so much I forget things have comments now!

Tunga posted:

As of Lollipop you can't unlock the bootloader without checking a box within Android (it's in developer tools).

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/11/03/psa-oem-unlock-nexus-6-9-requires-checking-box-developer-options/

I don't have this option on my Nexus 5, which is presumably related to the fact that only new devices (N6/9) are getting this protection feature anyway.

Edit: Rewrote entire post to make actual sense!
Yeah you do. I know it was there when I initially got my N5 but I think it disappears if the bootloader is unlocked. But yeah, I totally forgot about that so yeah, okay, I see how it works now.

Thanks! I knew the smart guys here would explain it to me. :)

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

LastInLine posted:

Yeah you do. I know it was there when I initially got my N5 but I think it disappears if the bootloader is unlocked. But yeah, I totally forgot about that so yeah, okay, I see how it works now.
I've never unlocked mine and don't see it in Security or Developer options.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

Yeah you do. I know it was there when I initially got my N5 but I think it disappears if the bootloader is unlocked.
Didn't you get the N5 back when it was on KitKat? That option definitely did not exist on KitKat.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

Didn't you get the N5 back when it was on KitKat? That option definitely did not exist on KitKat.
Hmm, yeah you're right. I must be thinking of when I unlocked the Nexus 6.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Hah, from a thread I just saw on Reddit, the existence of that checkbox now introduces a little bit of Darwinism into the mix. The box only governs unlocking the bootloader -- you can apparently relock it, regardless of its state.

Some guy had unlocked their bootloader at some point in the past, and in the intervening time between then and now, turned off the "enable OEM unlock" option. They then went and flashed something onto the phone that caused it to bootloop. Now the sensible thing would be to resolve that first, but hey, this braintrust thought relocking the bootloader would be a good plan.

Now they have permanently ruined their phone - they can't boot into Android to flip whatever bit in the bootloader gets flipped when you tick that box, and the bootloader refuses to unlock again in its current state.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I've never flashed any images, despite having a nexus 4 and now nexus 6. My phone has been randomly rebooting, so I was going to do a factory reset. Would flashing 5.1 accomplish the same thing? Might as well kill two birds with one stone...

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

peeNamaste posted:

You can buy a OPO without an invitation every Tuesday. Which is pretty retarded but whatever. The phone and software is fine.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

You can buy a OPO without an invitation every Tuesday. Which is pretty retarded but whatever. The phone and software is fine.
Your first two statements are correct and it is in fact "pretty retarded" to buy a OnePlus One.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
At this point every manufacturer is making pieces of poo poo that nobody is happy with so going with an OPO won't hurt.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Lblitzer posted:

At this point every manufacturer is making pieces of poo poo that nobody is happy with so going with an OPO won't hurt.
Except the other manufacturers might release updates making their pieces of poo poo work somewhat better. OPO and cyanogenmod might have an uncertain future there.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

And good luck when something goes wrong with yours!

Present posted:

My buddy ordered a oneplusone and the one he got would enter a restart loop whenever he plugged it into the wall or into his computer. The company charged him either 70$ or 90$, can't remember which one, to ship it back to them insured from Canada, before giving him a refund. They didn't refund the shipping fee. He then bought a Moto X.

Allaniis posted:

Who really knows if the issues that arise are software or hardware? I had a OPO that couldn't ever get a GPS lock and could not maintain an LTE even though my Moto G LTE had no problems. I'm still in the process of trying to return it, even though I asked for a return well within the return window.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lblitzer posted:

Motorola phones own, to be fair

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
My Nexus 5 and Moto G were huge pieces of poo poo so :shrug:. I am really liking the Droid Maxx though.
Heck even Samsung would turn people away when the S3 battery and micro-usb connector issues came up. Every company sucks and just throw away your phone or buy an HTC First and be done with it.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Lblitzer posted:

My Nexus 5 and Moto G were huge pieces of poo poo so :shrug:. I am really liking the Droid Maxx though.
Heck even Samsung would turn people away when the S3 battery and micro-usb connector issues came up. Every company sucks and just throw away your phone or buy an HTC First and be done with it.

The difference is you get a 2 day cross shipped RMA for your Nexus 5 if you have a problem. Not sure about Moto, but I'm sure it is much nicer than dealing with OPO returns.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Lblitzer posted:

Every company sucks
What a worthless argument.

Google and Motorola will send you an advance replacement which objectively does not suck. OnePlus will make you pay to ship their broken garbage back to them.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

butt dickus posted:

What a worthless argument.

Google and Motorola will send you an advance replacement which objectively does not suck. OnePlus will make you pay to ship their broken garbage back to them.

And when they replace it they'll sell the refurb as new

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
So I just switched from Softcard to Google Wallet since Softcard is shutting down. With Softcard before you could tap and pay you had to put in a separate PIN, with Google Wallet your phone doesn't even have to be unlocked to tap and pay. Granted I have my phone set up with a trusted Bluetooth device so I don't know what would happen if I had a passcode lock on but still, is Google just eating all the liability to make it easy to use since they don't have a biometric platform like Apple?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Wallet has its own PIN that is separate from the one on your device's lockscreen There's a timeout so you can unlock it ahead of time instead of fumbling with it at the register. You can set the timeout to 15 minutes, one day or never. Maybe yours is set to never?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

butt dickus posted:

Wallet has its own PIN that is separate from the one on your device's lockscreen There's a timeout so you can unlock it ahead of time instead of fumbling with it at the register. You can set the timeout to 15 minutes, one day or never. Maybe yours is set to never?