Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

The MSJ posted:

Insurgent IMAX poster

Is the movie about a syringe? it's what the negative space suggests...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

I like how Vader's helmet has eyes.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
Poster Six-Pack: How to screw up the features of your marquee attraction Edition

Perry King IS Sasquatch IN...

Believe it or not, this is actually the same flick as "Striking Back". Starring not-a-Yeti perry King

Good Fred, great stuart, more effort needed on Roddy. And why is Fred riding a Moon Hopper made of his own severed head?

ZOMBIE CHIBA!

Giant Jim Kelly-in-a-Wind-Tunnel!

(EDIT: Holy crap, I just realised the apparently-sleeping guy on the right is Harold Sakata)

Worst. Godzilla. Ever.

(It's "Destroy All Monsters", in case you're wondering. And no, King Kong does not appear in this film)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

KinkyJohn posted:

Or a jackhammer

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

KinkyJohn posted:

Maybe spoilers?

http://divergent.wikia.com/wiki/Serums

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Distorted Kiwi posted:

Worst. Godzilla. Ever.

(It's "Destroy All Monsters", in case you're wondering. And no, King Kong does not appear in this film)

Holy crap. As a lifelong Godzilla fan and Italian-American, I felt compelled to look this up, and stumbled upon these gems:

(Note that these are all still for a King Kong-less Destroy All Monsters)

For contrast, here are the 'correct' posters for this film:

Now I think I'm going to dig around for more blatantly lying Italian posters for kaiju films.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Distorted Kiwi posted:

(EDIT: Holy crap, I just realised the apparently-sleeping guy on the right is Harold Sakata)
Introducing Myron Bruce Lee!

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

So that the inspiration for this Luke Skywalker figure.

profbobo
May 22, 2004

Vivat Buster!
Opened a bunch of tubes I've been neglecting yesterday. Goddamn the Horkey FOTR is unbelievable.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Improbable Lobster posted:

It doesn't matter whether or not you make a profit on if it's a violation. Most companies just ignore people that aren't making money off it.
Wouldn't it be an IP violation, not a copyright one? Assuming the work is not based off/includes parts of another work which the artist does not have copyright to.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Wouldn't it be an IP violation, not a copyright one? Assuming the work is not based off/includes parts of another work which the artist does not have copyright to.

It's a picture of Skeletor. It's based off the toy / comic / cartoon / whatever. It's an IP violation because copyright is a kind of intellectual property. There is also a Skeletor trademark, but I doubt this picture would violate it. You cannot patent the concept of a Skeletor.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
I've been trying to patent the concept of a muscular skeleton for years and let me tell you it is impossible.

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.
The "creepy hooded skeleton" image wasn't exactly pioneered by Hannah Barbara.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

JohnnySavs posted:

No, but making that skeleton buff as all get out was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34XqgEljCEw

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Sir Kodiak posted:

It's a picture of Skeletor. It's based off the toy / comic / cartoon / whatever. It's an IP violation because copyright is a kind of intellectual property. There is also a Skeletor trademark, but I doubt this picture would violate it. You cannot patent the concept of a Skeletor.
You seem to be saying that it's a copyright violation (and thus also an IP violation), but I'm not sure how that can be the case? That painting of Skeletor takes the idea of Skeletor, but it doesn't use any parts of an existing work (as far as I know), which means it's not infringing on the copyright of any work featuring Skeletor.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

JohnnySavs posted:

Copyright violation is based on actual copying, not mere similarity, so what matters here is that the artist actually based the drawing on Skeletor. Not every creepy hooded skeleton is Skeletor, but that one is.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You seem to be saying that it's a copyright violation (and thus also an IP violation), but I'm not sure how that can be the case? That painting of Skeletor takes the idea of Skeletor, but it doesn't use any parts of an existing work (as far as I know), which means it's not infringing on the copyright of any work featuring Skeletor.

I am saying that. Derivative works are covered by copyright. Batman Begins, for example, was legally made because the filmmakers gained the right to make a derivative work of the original comics and the many other Batman works from which it was inspired. All of that was covered by copyright (and probably also some trademark stuff for promoting the movie as a BATMAN movie).

Copyright can be somewhat non-intuitive. It isn't just where you photocopy something: adaptations, translations, etc. are all covered. It serves the goal of covering the full range of exploitation of an original idea, which can branch out in a lot of different ways.

Also, what sort of intellectual property do you think it is if not copyright?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's not the best example. The filmmakers of Batman Begins were under contract to the owner of Batman.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

That's not the best example. The filmmakers of Batman Begins were under contract to the owner of Batman.

It's a little more complicated than that. The Batman copyright is owned by DC Comics, which is a subsidiary of Warner Bros. Warner Bros. has a license to use the character from DC Comics, which they were able to receive because they own the drat company. But a license will still have to have been granted as they aren't the same legal entity.

But, sure, a cleaner example might be Fox having a license to make X-Men movies.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Sir Kodiak posted:

Also, what sort of intellectual property do you think it is if not copyright?
I don't know. Guess I must have gotten it in my head that there was a sort of equivalent to a patent which covered the general features of for example a character like Skeletor, while the specific works featuring him would be covered under copyright. Appreciate you setting me straight. :)

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Dave put up a response today.

http://www.daverapoza.blogspot.ca/2015/03/the-strange-thing-about-art-theft.html

quote:

The Strange Thing About Art Theft

So, today I wanted to talk about the strange divide I have seen regarding recent issues I've had with work being stolen. Which is a tricky thing, because the work in question is fan art. Recently I was sent a message stating that someone had bought a blu-ray in Sweden of 'Masters of the Universe' and that it had my 'Skeletor' piece on the cover worked into the design. They asked me if I had given permission or had been compensated. I said no.

If you follow my work, it's nothing new that I'd post about art theft. This kind of thing happens all the time and when the issues get enough attention it's easier to do something about the theft. So, I made up a small image showing the blatant use of the image, you can check it out below. All I was really looking to do was point out that I hadn't been asked or credited. I was not looking to pursue anything beyond that as I said on the image itself, I don't own Skeletor.

That being said, after it got picked up, I've been seeing a big divide online. Most everyone is happy to point out that it's theft, a lot of people would say it's the creators fault for making fan art, and some, as always, just wanna see you run over by a truck in the street. But you can't escape the internet, so we can't fight that haha.

I don't want to give you the wrong idea, I've benefited directly from creating this Skeletor painting. It has lead to many job opportunities, it's given me great exposure, and even allowed me to work on official MOTU stuff. I couldn't be happier, it's been great to have in my portfolio. This is why I don't really have a major issue with the image being used. That being said, I know that it is a violation of basic copyright.

For instance, maybe you saw the recent 'Power Rangers' short film that was going around, it's the adult themed one with the violence and everything. Saban in this instance, they can't just take that movie because it has their characters in it and then release it on their own to make profit from. Same thing goes for images, somebody may own the characters you're working with, but they don't then own the images created. These images still belong to you in and of themselves. In the same way they could have hired you to create this image, they can then purchase the piece from you to use after the fact.

With a lot of my fan art, this is how I make money back, through licensing deals. Whenever a company owns a license to Marvel or Masters of the Universe, they can contact me and then they can distribute my previously created fan arts. This doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen every so often. Which is where I wanted to get into my personal benefit from work like this, this is where I become the illegal man.

So, the very first fan art images I did, or some of the first at least, were the TMNT portraits. I made 15 of them in total and spent anywhere from 8-30 hours on each one. At this stage in my career, I was really poor, living way outside of my means hoping to pressure myself into working harder. So I said, I bet if I did these TMNT, I could get my name out there. Now, the mistake I made was assuming nobody would care if I made a short run of prints of each portrait. There were 40 of each and something similar with the rest at NYCC. I had convinced myself it was cool, nobody knew me, and I was like half and half sure that it would fall under parody law?

But let's be honest, I just thought that making my time back on the prints would be possible this way. This happened back in early 2011, I was living in Boston and struggling to get to the next potential level with my artwork. Nobody was paying me to do the things I thought I could excel with and jump forward with, so I did it for myself. This series lead me to all of the jobs and my personal career today, I'm forever grateful for the Turtles.

And that is where I come back to the theft. When I shared the above image of the stolen work, I was contacted by quite a few people that I am not one to talk. After the image got around it started to come up more and more. Four years ago, I sold the TMNT prints without fully realizing the issues involved with doing so, I talked with Nickelodeon and Kevin Eastman about the portraits and they seemed to like them. I just kinda assumed it wasn't an issue, but that's wrong. No matter the amount, I did still profit at the end of the day from the work. Since then I've worked on many TMNT projects officially, and nobody called foul, ever.

This is the weird thing about theft. If you're getting featured on all the blogs bringing any sort of positive attention to a franchise, nobody will really come after you, at least not aggressively. But on the flip side, if your theft involves hurtful content that messes with the brand, they're all over you. So you get this weird idea of what theft really is in the eyes of the company and it distorts your view.

Four years ago I sold 40 prints each of 15 portraits, and four years before that I almost went to jail for five years. I'm not the same person I was eight years ago and I'm not the same person I was four years ago. I've learned a lot since then, and I don't want whatever ideas you may have of me to cloud the fact that a major company blatantly used work without any contact, whatsoever, to the artist. This could happen to anybody, and because of my past I don't really want to necessarily pursue legal action. Just don't assume that you don't have rights in these things, regardless of whether or not you've been in the wrong before. Even if it's fan art, you still did the work itself.

Anyways, thanks for reading me ramble on. The past 48-ish hours have been crazy, I've received hundreds of messages about the theft and I appreciate all of the comments, the critical and the supportive.

I hope you are doing good! Now I gotta get back to my real work :)!
Dave

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
Has social media started referring to this as 'Skeletor-gate' yet?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
4 years ago I drawed the tortoises in a half-shell hero. 8 years ago, I killed a hobo just outside of Reno.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Just got another VHS lot (there's a handful here that were never released on DVD), some of these would've been a bitch to track down individually so I'm glad I got these all together at once.

52 Pick-Up, haven't seen it, but I love Frankenheimer, and I'm still on a Scheider kick after watching Sorcerer recently.

Alien Warrior. No idea. Looks pretty lovely though!

You'd think for a movie called BEER, it'd be a little easier tracking down info on this one. Nope.

Another version, and hey, I'm pretty sure that's David Allen Grier on the cover.

Deadly Force. Stoney Cooper will be the name of my next bong.

Delta Force. gently caress YEAH CHUCK!

Delta Force 2, please Chuck don't hurt'em!

Haven't seen this one either, but I love Rodney so hopefully it's good.

8 Million Ways To Die. Is that supposed to be Jeff Bridges on the cover? Who the hell knows.

The Emerald Forest. That poster's pretty blah, but that tagline is great.

The Hidden. This movie loving owns.

Hitz. Like Cuba Gooding Jr. there in the background, I have no idea what the gently caress's going on in this one.

Lockdown. Starring that one guy!

Love Letters. Yowza. Wondering if Jamie Lee Curtis pulls them titties out in this.

Scandalous. Quite.

Mannequin. A classic. That Andrew McCarthy is going places!

Once Bitten. Jim Carrey's first movie. He had nowhere to go but down after this.

Sean Connery is not putting up with your poo poo.

Phantom of Death, again no idea, but Ruggero Deodato!

The Sicilian. Sure, why not.

Fast Talking. Another ultra-obscuro movie with no good images online.

And finally, the motherfucking Dice-Man.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

RIP Paul Walker.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

What does Ryan Reynolds have to do with Paul Walker?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

kiimo posted:

What does Ryan Reynolds James Remar have to do with Paul Walker?

My eyes adjusted.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ruddiger posted:

Michael York is turning into Donald Pleasance.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

profbobo posted:

Opened a bunch of tubes I've been neglecting yesterday. Goddamn the Horkey FOTR is unbelievable.

You have really nice paperweights

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Character posters for Age of Adaline, a movie in which Blake Lively outs herself as an immortal and as such is the perfect woman to marry Deadpool who was cursed to never die by Thanos.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

ruddiger posted:

Just got another VHS lot (there's a handful here that were never released on DVD), some of these would've been a bitch to track down individually so I'm glad I got these all together at once.

52 Pick-Up, haven't seen it, but I love Frankenheimer, and I'm still on a Scheider kick after watching Sorcerer recently.

Alien Warrior. No idea. Looks pretty lovely though!

You'd think for a movie called BEER, it'd be a little easier tracking down info on this one. Nope.

Another version, and hey, I'm pretty sure that's David Allen Grier on the cover.

Deadly Force. Stoney Cooper will be the name of my next bong.

Delta Force. gently caress YEAH CHUCK!

Delta Force 2, please Chuck don't hurt'em!

Haven't seen this one either, but I love Rodney so hopefully it's good.

8 Million Ways To Die. Is that supposed to be Jeff Bridges on the cover? Who the hell knows.

The Emerald Forest. That poster's pretty blah, but that tagline is great.

The Hidden. This movie loving owns.

Hitz. Like Cuba Gooding Jr. there in the background, I have no idea what the gently caress's going on in this one.

Lockdown. Starring that one guy!

Love Letters. Yowza. Wondering if Jamie Lee Curtis pulls them titties out in this.

Scandalous. Quite.

Mannequin. A classic. That Andrew McCarthy is going places!

Once Bitten. Jim Carrey's first movie. He had nowhere to go but down after this.

Sean Connery is not putting up with your poo poo.

The Sicilian. Sure, why not.

Fast Talking. Another ultra-obscuro movie with no good images online.

And finally, the motherfucking Dice-Man.

First impressions:
1: Cannon group and golan-globus = cheesy fun.
3: Rip torn was such an abuser it's hilarious.
4: Stoney Cooper's actor is named "Wings Hauser", that's an even better name! Holy poo poo!
8: Wow, I didn't know Roseanne Arquette was once pretty. She's great in that bruce willis hitman movie though!
9: Powers Booth, while an awesome name, always just reminds me of Sudden Death (not a bad movie, but I can't imagine him as a good guy now)
13?: M Emmit Walsh in a movie like that? Lmao. The 80's were so weird.
15: Cleavon Little? Oh man, what a fall from Blazing Saddles.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Agents of SHIELD seems to be doing a poster for every post-winter break episode. I'm posting this one here for featuring the giant looming visage of Kyle MacLachlan.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Is Hannibal Lecter in that show?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm not a huge Blake Lively fan but that series is like already nominated for a key art award, you can count on that.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

The MSJ posted:

Character posters for Age of Adaline, a movie in which Blake Lively outs herself as an immortal and as such is the perfect woman to marry Deadpool who was cursed to never die by Thanos.

They should've made the 2015 photograph an instagram filtered semi-nude selfie in a poorly lit bathroom while she holds up a giant iphone

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

CelticPredator posted:

RIP Paul Walker.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The MSJ posted:

Neat idea absolutely cratered by the awful trailer and Blake's total lack of personality.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Knowing nothing about that movie and having only seen the posters, my immediate thought was 'they're going to ruin this interesting premise by making it into a terrible romance, aren't they.' Then I checked the IMDB synopsis and yep.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The romance is not the problem. Blake Lively is the problem.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

However dumb the movie ends up being I like that series of posters