Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

dragon enthusiast posted:

I'm not really sold on exploit for limited yet, first glance over the CIG makes it seem like a pile of card disadvantage to me.

Remember that they can sac themselves, sometimes making them slightly inefficient spells w/o the creature. It needs a little building around, but I think it's a powerful mechanic because of the versatility it presents you with. A lot of the creatures are only slightly more expensive than you'd expect a spell equivalent of the exploit trigger to cost (like draw 2, lose 2 life attached to a 2/3 flying body for 3B - I think that's a great deal personally).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
Exploit is a may, people....

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Remember that they can sac themselves, sometimes making them slightly inefficient spells w/o the creature. It needs a little building around, but I think it's a powerful mechanic because of the versatility it presents you with. A lot of the creatures are only slightly more expensive than you'd expect a spell equivalent of the exploit trigger to cost (like draw 2, lose 2 life attached to a 2/3 flying body for 3B - I think that's a great deal personally).

Starving Autist posted:

Exploit is a may, people....

Oh nevermind then

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
One of my favorite exploit creatures is actually just this guy.

Just by itself, he's a Kraken Hatchling / Void Snare split card. Kraken Hatchling has always been okay for the controlling decks, if not great; Void Snare is a useful option that I imagine you'll use rarely unless it gets you the win, and I assume you never have a creature worse than Sidis's Faithful itself to sacrifice. But really this guy is just exploit fodder himself. He's super cheap without being worthless, and when eventually your opponent's board gets big enough so that an 0/4 is no longer meaningful, you just sacrifice him to another exploit creature and get your card back (since most of the exploit triggers do get you a card's worth of effect).

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

With these Exploit cards around, Soulflayer is looking a little better in limited.

What else? Sudden Reclamation? hm.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Entropic posted:

They all seem pretty good to me?

Like look at this guy:

The worst case, if you have no other creatures, is that it's a split card that's either a 2/1 flash flyer or an Essence Scatter, both for 3 mana. That would be playable card on its own. And if you have a creature already that's worse than a 2/1 flyer, there's additional upside.

Where's the card disadvantage?

Flash Exploit will also be useful for fizzling some spells like Hunt the Weak

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Rinkles posted:

Remember that they can sac themselves, sometimes making them slightly inefficient spells. It needs a little building around, but I think it's a powerful mechanic because of the versatility it presents you with. A lot of the creatures are only slightly more expensive than you'd expect a spell w/ the exploit trigger to cost (like draw 2, lose 2 life attached to a 2/3 flying body for 3B - I think that's a great deal personally).

Yeah, they all seem to be costed pretty well for limited. Like even if you're not getting value with a Sultai Emissary or a Jeskai Sage or something, just sacrificing your random small creature that's not doing anything anymore in a board stall to turn it into a Sign in Blood seems decent.

And the set is actually full of a bunch of enablers.

There's the 3U 2/2 that draws you two cards when it dies, the 2B 1/2 that casts Raise Dead when it dies, and the Festering Goblin reprint.

Another thing to keep in mind with Exploit is that White has Pacifism at common.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Bring back rebound; don't reprint Distortion Strike.

Instead print bad Distortion Strike

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 13, 2015

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

This card makes me happiest of all cards.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Entropic posted:

the 2B 1/2 that casts Raise Dead when it dies

Actually not sure that one's worth it. It's too expensive as a Raise Dead, and it's body is useless. I don't think setting up a powerful exploit is worth a card and your turn 3 play, especially since Raise Dead is usually something you want to do later in the game.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

tirinal posted:

I can't wait to watch LSV draft three of them and somehow make it work.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

tirinal posted:

That flavor text is awful. The worst flavor + flavor text combo in the block is definitely still Dead Drop but goddamn if that card isn't up there.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Bring back rebound; don't reprint Distortion Strike.

Instead print bad Distortion Strike

The double Sleight of hand was a little weird if at least still ok, but this is pretty hugely overcosted

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

I want there to be a g/r ramp deck into dragons that uses dragon tempest as a pseudo fires. It would even give hornet queen haste

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

tirinal posted:

Is this the Timeshifted Goblinslide? Some things are definitely better in this timeline.

Also: man, what a wasted opportunity to bring back the timeshifted card frames.

Rinkles posted:

Actually not sure that one's worth it. It's too expensive as a Raise Dead, and it's body is useless. I don't think setting up a powerful exploit is worth a card and your turn 3 play, especially since Raise Dead is usually something you want to do later in the game.

Yeah, that one isn't the best. 1/2s seem extremely underwhelming in this environment. If it was a 2/2 it would be decent I think, but not trading for morphs and not doing enough damage to require blocking just makes it pretty bad.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

How is it there are way better enchantments in this block than the enchantment themed block?

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Kyrosiris posted:

My greatest regret from Triple Khans and FKK were that I never got to make a workable Goblinslide deck.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

odiv posted:

How is it there are way better enchantments in this block than the enchantment themed block?

There were barely any enchantments that just functioned as static enchantments in Theros block.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Angry Grimace posted:

There were barely any enchantments that just functioned as static enchantments in Theros block.

I remember checking - there were actually zero until Journey into Nyx, presumably to play up toward the Constellation reveal. Which was stupid and backwards.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

Well, I have done a complete 180 on this set today. At first it looked like a horrible dragon-themed reskinning of AVR......and then the commons and uncommons popped up. AND gently caress YEAH THIS SET LOOKS AWESOME. Like, I'm going to try and draft UB Exploit like a madman.

Even though that loving five mana counterspell is the biggest troll from wizards since putting DRS on remand.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

This guy looks nice for both warriors and exploit. Awesome.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
The commons and uncommons have me stoked for the prerelease. I've stuck to Mardu through the whole block and I doubt that's going to change here.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

The Nastier Nate posted:

Guys! What are we going to do with all this unused Lorwyn art??!?

Is this a joke or what cause it doesn't look like Lorwyn art at all.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Pacifism is real good, but it does not interact favorably at all with formidable, exploit, or dash. Probably why they felt safe printing it.

I'm leaning towards Dromoka for the prerelease now. I really like the look of all the synergies it has involving +1/+1 counters.

I can't wait to put 4 Lightning Berserkers into my Norin Soul Sisters deck.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

Rinkles posted:

Just noticed there seem to be no loxodons in this set

(Because Atarka warmed up the snow regions?)

No Krushoks either.

I love that literally the only differences between Tarkir 1000 years ago and Tarkir now (prior to time travel) were

a) The Dragons had died off; and
b) The Krushoks had died off.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Im gonna draft so many of these nerds its unbelievable.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Maybe some jackass planeswalker is going to go time travel and save the Krushoks next.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Madmarker posted:

Well, I have done a complete 180 on this set today. At first it looked like a horrible dragon-themed reskinning of AVR......and then the commons and uncommons popped up. AND gently caress YEAH THIS SET LOOKS AWESOME. Like, I'm going to try and draft UB Exploit like a madman.

Even though that loving five mana counterspell is the biggest troll from wizards since putting DRS on remand.

Agree with 100%. Set look like overcosted rear end and now it looks like a fun one to draft. Nice to see Negate finally getting new art.

Tormenting voice, Naturalize, and Summit yeti get reprinted from Khans for limited. Kindled Fury, Battle Mastery, Explosive Veggies all get a reprint.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Mr. Peepers posted:

I can't wait to put 4 Lightning Berserkers into my Norin Soul Sisters deck.

I love this idea, but they're just worse Norins. What would you take out?

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Mr. Peepers posted:

Pacifism is real good, but it does not interact favorably at all with formidable, exploit, or dash. Probably why they felt safe printing it.

I like how it can hose your opponent's bolster effects, though.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

This is a cool card.

Free equipment for Dashers (and creatures in general) seems cool.

Is it OK that I'm sad the art wasn't a Scroll Rack reprint? :v:
Still an OK card. That will be going into an EDH deck.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

This set looks pretty great. It's no Rise of the Eldrazi but it has a lot in common with that set. Some things they have in common:

- A dense selection of playables. Very few cards seem like trash. In fact, Dragons looks better than Rise in that regard, Rise had a ton of forgettable crap.
- The cards are divided within color to be useful in archetypes, not just printed as generically good. Obviously there are some cards that transcend this limitation and they are the really high picks. But for example, I don't want a 1/1 that does something small when it dies in my Dash deck, and I don't want a Dash creature in my exploit deck, even though both are black.
- Some good defensive creatures, and good common removal. Most of the removal will not kill a Dragon, so the set seems designed to get the game to a point where Dragons come out, much like Rise.
-Megamorph seems to be analagous to Level Up, in that it is something to do early and then pump mana into to get a better creature. It's definitely not as good or versatile as Level Up, but the similarities are there.
-The Dragons in this set are kind of like the Eldrazi. They are not as expensive, but they also require specific colors. There are no common dragons, but the only playable common Eldrazi was Ulamog's Crusher, so with how many uncommon dragons there are you can expect to see more Dragons than Eldrazi.
-Not every goddamn rare is a goddamn huge bomb. There are plenty of weird, quirky, situationally good, or archetype-defining rares in the set.

Some differences:
-There are no Eldrazi Spawn tokens, or anything similar to it. These were real useful for ramping and gumming up the board, and occasionally could contribute to actually dealing damage to your opponent.
-Rebound seems WAY powered down from Rise. There some exceptions, like that +2/+1 spell with rebound, but most of them cost like 4 to do something small.
-Again, Megamorph is worse than Level Up.

Still, I'm looking forward to drafting Dragons. There are a lot of interesting looking archetypes, and there might still be some enemy color decks. We'll see if W/x Auras is a thing (probably not), We'll see if W/B Warriors is feasible (probably not), and we'll see if any early plays even matter in the face of something like Dromoka.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

Awesome. Now I just need a sword of omens card and I can fulfill my thunder cats fantasies.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lets Pickle posted:

- A dense selection of playables. Very few cards seem like trash. In fact, Dragons looks better than Rise in that regard, Rise had a ton of forgettable crap.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Hand of Emrakul was playable, it was just narrower than Ulamog's Crusher because it was only powerful in a eldrazi token-based deck.

I'd love to believe that this is Rise of the Eldrazi 2.0 but Rise didn't look interesting out the gate until you started drafting it and playing the cards and seeing all the non-obvious synergies and typical board states.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Nomadic Scholar posted:

This guy looks nice for both warriors and exploit. Awesome.

Except he's a 1/2 in a format that cares about 2/2s. I don't think he's quite Gravedigger.

Lionguild
Sep 5, 2013
He is 1 less mana then Grave Digger.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Lionguild posted:

He is 1 less mana then Grave Digger.

So are you or are you not saying that he is a grave digger?

Sigma-X posted:

Hand of Emrakul was playable, it was just narrower than Ulamog's Crusher because it was only powerful in a eldrazi token-based deck.

I'd love to believe that this is Rise of the Eldrazi 2.0 but Rise didn't look interesting out the gate until you started drafting it and playing the cards and seeing all the non-obvious synergies and typical board states.

The best part about roe was that vanilla creatures were basically not picks you wanted and also the (common) removal was really good (like actually really good i mean look at flame slash holy poo poo) and I'm not sure thats a thing in dtk.

Also no durdly control deck limited archetype means it can't be rise 2.0 :colbert:.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Kyrosiris posted:

If you managed to get three of them I don't think you'd need to be LSV to make it work, the noncreature spells in DTK/DTK/FRF are really, really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

That's a grown-up Feed the Clan fish. For how much I don't care about this set, they put a lot of cool things in it.

• Locked thread