Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

jonathan posted:

Depends, I wasn't just a driver, I was doing well casing cementing with a crew, so I was paid well. Well enough to not wish for more money. If I get back into fluid hauling or bottles ie liquid nitrogen I could likely do just as well. Some coworkers of my brother made over 170k in 2014.

Wanna buy a mack? only leaks oil when running, parked, or coasting with the engine off. Has a fluid pump installed that could definitely be described as still perfectly functional if you redefine perfect and stretch the word functional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amos Moses
Oct 13, 2012

by Ralp
Any AB goons able to recommend a place for taking my truck for a tune?

Edmonton and east preferred. Looking for someone familiar with L92/L9H.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Slung Blade posted:

Yep, 6.0. I don't really want to mess with it, I just want a reliable hunting vehicle I can take to the mountains with confidence. I'm told these are pretty solid set-ups in stock form.

I've got enough project vehicle on the go as it is :v:

My grandfather's friend used a Lada Niva as his hunting vehicle of choice. He swore up and down that it was incredibly reliable despite there being a second one for parts sitting in his garage. No clue how he never got stranded in the woods.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Slung Blade posted:

Yep, 6.0. I don't really want to mess with it, I just want a reliable hunting vehicle I can take to the mountains with confidence. I'm told these are pretty solid set-ups in stock form.

I've got enough project vehicle on the go as it is :v:

My service truck had that powertrain. drat solid. Don't pressure wash the floor on an 03-07 though (assuming it's a rubber floor). The 99-02s were fine with it but the DBW ones have a little box by the kick panel that hates to get wet.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 12, 2015

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

My dad has a 09 with the 6.0, He gets 260km to a tank sometimes.

that's 6mpg. six.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Tommychu posted:

My service truck had that powertrain. drat solid. Don't pressure wash the floor on an 03-07 though (assuming it's a rubber floor). The 99-02s were fine with it but the DBW ones have a little box by the kick panel that hates to get wet.

It is a rubber floor, good to know. Would mopping work better? Less over spray/mist that way I guess.

Powershift posted:

My dad has a 09 with the 6.0, He gets 260km to a tank sometimes.

that's 6mpg. six.

Yeah I filled it up on Tuesday, I have no idea when the trip odo was reset in terms of fuel tank level, but it read in at 540km for 105L of gas. :stare:

We'll see how it goes under my ownership.

I'm used to 540km for 30ish liters in my tiny Hyundai clown car.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I suppose 540km is possible, if you can find a 540km stretch of road that's entirely downhill.

The most fuel efficient car i've ever owned does 540km on about 60 liters, and that's a V8 BMW.

Overall the subaru was the only 4 cylinder i've owned and that drank fuel like a bastard too. Apart from that, all my gas vehicles and half of my diesels have been V8s. My first f-150 was a 4.6 regular cab long box. Everybody said they got poo poo fuel economy out of them, but i could get 1100-1200kms out of a 135 liter tank.

I almost bought an E60 750i before i bought the subaru, but it got bid out of my budget. Would have been nice not to have a 4 cylinder black mark on my record :(

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Slung Blade posted:

Speaking of pickups, here's the one I bought on Saturday.

What kind of tires are those? The look really nice and chewy.

I used to have an 04. I really liked the truck but for some reason it ate wheel bearings every couple years and went through bulbs like candy. Either headlight or signal light (can't remember).

That 6.0 can be a pig though and you'll have it if/when gas hits $1.30+ again.

Our 2011 Legacy with a 2.5 CVT was routinely pulling in over 1000KMs per tank on our US trip last year at 80-85MPH interstate driving. Was getting low but didn't even trip the low fuel light. I don't recall how many gallons/liters it took but it does have something like a 70L tank, so if I had to guess I'd say around 60.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 12, 2015

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

it was probably the daytime running light. If you see a chevy with 2 daytime running lights, it either just leave the dealer or just left Canadian Tire.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Powershift posted:

it was probably the daytime running light. If you see a chevy with 2 daytime running lights, it either just leave the dealer or just left Canadian Tire.

Yeah seriously, what the hell is that about anyway? lovely wiring? Wrong bulb design choice?

Every fuckin Chev from the last twenty years is rolling along with a single bulb.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yay, ex finally got her own vehicle and returned my truck. She picked up a 2014 Cruze with 9000km for $15,700.

So hurray for crew cab long box trucks in white. Mine has the VVTI Hemi 5.7L. In town it gets around 22L/100km and cruising at 110km/h with a headwind it averages 14. I wish it has cylinder deactivation like the half tons.

First 2 mods im doing are plastidip and pulling a leaf spring in the back and then doing airbag helpers.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I thought you just bought a Cummins or something for your RV? Or was that the Ex's vehicle that was returned? Did you lose your shirt?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

slidebite posted:

I thought you just bought a Cummins or something for your RV? Or was that the Ex's vehicle that was returned? Did you lose your shirt?

That was this one, but not a diesel. As much as I love the romance of pulling hills with a nice modern diesel and a nice trailer, the reality of a diesel in Northern Alberta with all the associated costs and constant horror stories means I settled for a gas motor. As for the break up I did alright. We negotiated and settled without lawyers. Everything was pretty smooth.

Edit: Yay, got hired on with a pretty cool company I've had my eye on for awhile. Pending a drug test. I'm uncomfortable mentioning their name however I will hint that they have an Indycar team with a car in full company livery.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 12, 2015

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

slidebite posted:

What kind of tires are those? The look really nice and chewy.

I used to have an 04. I really liked the truck but for some reason it ate wheel bearings every couple years and went through bulbs like candy. Either headlight or signal light (can't remember).

That 6.0 can be a pig though and you'll have it if/when gas hits $1.30+ again.

Our 2011 Legacy with a 2.5 CVT was routinely pulling in over 1000KMs per tank on our US trip last year at 80-85MPH interstate driving. Was getting low but didn't even trip the low fuel light. I don't recall how many gallons/liters it took but it does have something like a 70L tank, so if I had to guess I'd say around 60.

Had to wait until I got home to check, they're Goodyear Wranglers. Chewy is a great description for em. They don't have much wear, which is another huge plus. The studs (!) are pretty well done though.

I'm hoping to only drive this thing occasionally, it won't be my DD, just when I need it. I'll probably spend more on insurance on it per year than gas, I hope anyway.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Slung Blade posted:

It is a rubber floor, good to know. Would mopping work better? Less over spray/mist that way I guess.
I didn't have enough time in the '03 to devise a great non-powerwash cleaning method (8 months in the '03 vs. 3 years in the '00, plus I hated the '03 so I rarely cleaned it beyond the bare minimum)
Mopping wouldn't hurt it, but the texture of the rubber they used loves to build up dirt and doesn't let it go easily. I'm thinking a household scrub brush would work well?
e: on the topic of fuel economy, my '00 went as low as 4MPG, I actually tracked it on Fuelly for a bit. But that's running a compressor off the LQ4's belt drive for several hours a day not going anywhere, plus all the extra weight from the tools, air system and rubber it lugged around for all the time it was going somewhere. But they also took that weight really well and rarely felt sluggish unless we started pushing the envelope on the number of tires the truck could fit in the back.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Mar 13, 2015

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just FYI my 2001 Kenworth 14L Cummins averaged better than 4mpg. That's with a loaded weight of over 100,000lbs.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Rest of the heavy duty suspension stuff has finally shipped. Timing worked out perfectly with the frost heaves.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Lolwtf

Anybody want pics of anything

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

This needs to be capitalized to properly convey the sentiment.

LOLWTF

Seriously, who in their right mind would pay that? You can get a Rubicon or a GC for that kind of money...

It's now doomed to fail - from day 1.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Powershift posted:

Lolwtf

That's that new micro Jeep? :lol:

Does ** at the bottom say:

**This is actually a joke. The MSRP is really $15,000 we just want to see if anyone would consider paying this price.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

slidebite posted:

**This is actually a joke. The MSRP is really $15,000 we just want to see if anyone would consider paying this price.

The 'Limited' trim starts at $32,295 on jeep.ca I managed to priced one out to $40,220...

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

It said taxes, destination and delivery extra. :negative:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

Lolwtf

Was the new Miata there?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

jonathan posted:

Just FYI my 2001 Kenworth 14L Cummins averaged better than 4mpg. That's with a loaded weight of over 100,000lbs.

Like I said, the compressor ran for several hours a day, off the LQ4, at 2k rpm any time the pressure dropped below 120psi. Not representative of normal pickup truck use.
It was awesome for me, because we got all our fuel from Shell and were able to collect Air Miles on the fill-ups.

Powershift posted:

Lolwtf

gently caress me, that's not far from the invoice price on my brother's Rubicon.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Was the new Miata there?

Nope. No new miata. K900 walled off. Salesman wouldn't pop the hood on the Titan because "then nobody could see the exterior". Dude nobody wants to see the exterior. The only thing anybody cares about is the Cummins. Porches were locked. BMW were depressing. F-type was too small. The we're kids in everything cranking in the levers like they dispensed candy.

Basically if you haven't gone yet it's too late.

I am all carred out. new auto show in calgary, got back here in time for classic car auction.

There's a sunbeam alpine there, still has the stale gas stank under the hood and mouse poo poo on the back shelf, but it's a 4 speed and looks like it runs.

could go super cheap.

quote:

It used the same 1725 cc engine as the Hillman Hunter which, fitted with a single Stromberg 150CD carburettor, developed 74 hp (55 kW; 75 PS) at 5500 rpm.

Maximum speed of the Alpine was 91 mph (146 km/h) and it could reach 60 mph (97 km/h) from rest in 14.6 seconds.[

Holy gently caress, sign me up!

Powershift fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 14, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

Basically if you haven't gone yet it's too late.

I'm going for the Renegade so anything else is icing on the cake. Weekends are always hell but that's how it worked out this year.

Can't wait to wait behind brodudes exclaiming to each other that one day they hope to afford the base model WRX and competing to see who can point out the turbo inside the engine bay of the XV first.

Top three things I want to see:
  • Renegade.
  • CLA panel gaps. I expect an overall sub-Avenger experience, and the headliner in the Avenger fell on me at the last auto show.
  • '15 Stang?
Koenigsegg is coming to town: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/2015-auto-show-calgary-to-get-only-canadian-hypercar-boutique-1.2994822

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Mar 14, 2015

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Well, if you're going anyways, optimus prime is there at the back!

There's also a polestar blue volvo V60 wagon you're probably going to fall in love with.

pop the hood on the ram promaster and figure out how to change the spark plugs.

Amos Moses
Oct 13, 2012

by Ralp
While driving to Edmonton I got waved into an RCMP traffic stop blitz thing.

Nothing wrong except my passenger wasn't wearing a seat belt as we'd just left a parking lot.

The RCMP ticketed my passenger who is over 18 for $115. Said passenger has no drivers license, is not registered to the vehicle..

I'm having trouble finding anything that says they should actually ticket the passenger let alone how enforceable a fine issued to a passenger would be.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Amos Moses posted:

While driving to Edmonton I got waved into an RCMP traffic stop blitz thing.

Nothing wrong except my passenger wasn't wearing a seat belt as we'd just left a parking lot.

The RCMP ticketed my passenger who is over 18 for $115. Said passenger has no drivers license, is not registered to the vehicle..

I'm having trouble finding anything that says they should actually ticket the passenger let alone how enforceable a fine issued to a passenger would be.

Section 82(2)

Amos Moses
Oct 13, 2012

by Ralp

Still not seeing why the passenger got the ticket and not myself.

What are they gonna do if he doesn't pay it? Not let him register a vehicle he'll never have because he'll never have a drivers license?

Sorta feeling like I shoulda caught the ticket not the passenger.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Amos Moses posted:

Still not seeing why the passenger got the ticket and not myself.

What are they gonna do if he doesn't pay it? Not let him register a vehicle he'll never have because he'll never have a drivers license?

Sorta feeling like I shoulda caught the ticket not the passenger.

That would be Section 82(3)

"A person shall not drive or operate a motor vehicle that has a seat belt assembly in the passenger seat position unless the passenger in the seat is wearing the complete seat belt assembly if the passenger

(a) is 6 years old or older but under the age of 16 years, or

(b) is a child who weighs more than 18 kilograms."

Amos Moses
Oct 13, 2012

by Ralp
I'm not a clever man. The passenger does not fall in the criteria of a or b, they're 27.

Be patient with me I'll get it eventually. If I'm reading that correctly I understand I didn't get the ticket because the person did not meet those criteria but why did that person get the ticket? How are they even going to enforce paying it if there person (for medical reasons) will never have a drivers license or own a vehicle. Hell it took them forever to actually verify who the passenger was as the only form of ID is a birth certificate. There were alot of trips back and forth from the officers car for further identifying questions.

I've got no experience with tickets myself but the folks we were talking to in the city about the trip up were telling us if you don't pay it usually they make you if you try to get a license or register a vehicle.

I'm in the boat of just pay it it's only $115 but the passenger is physically disabled and that's 1/4 of their monthly income they were saying.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Amos Moses posted:

I'm not a clever man. The passenger does not fall in the criteria of a or b, they're 27.

Be patient with me I'll get it eventually. If I'm reading that correctly I understand I didn't get the ticket because the person did not meet those criteria but why did that person get the ticket? How are they even going to enforce paying it if there person (for medical reasons) will never have a drivers license or own a vehicle. Hell it took them forever to actually verify who the passenger was as the only form of ID is a birth certificate. There were alot of trips back and forth from the officers car for further identifying questions.

I've got no experience with tickets myself but the folks we were talking to in the city about the trip up were telling us if you don't pay it usually they make you if you try to get a license or register a vehicle.

I'm in the boat of just pay it it's only $115 but the passenger is physically disabled and that's 1/4 of their monthly income they were saying.

1) The person not wearing the belt gets the ticket. It's as simple as that.

2) There are medical exemptions, see section 88.

quote:

(1) Section 82 does not apply to a person if a duly qualified medical practitioner has signed a letter certifying that the person,
(a) for the period stated in the certificate, is unable for medical reasons to be secured in a child seating assembly or seat belt assembly, or
(b) because of size, build or other physical characteristics, cannot be secured in a child seating assembly or seat belt assembly.
(2) A letter referred to in subsection (1) must
(a) be written on the letterhead of the medical practitioner,
(b) include the name and address of the person exempted and the reasons for the exemption, and
(c) state the dates on which the exemption begins and ends.
(3) An exemption under subsection (1) must be for a period of not more than one year.
(4) The driver of a motor vehicle carrying a person who is exempted under subsection (1) must have a copy of the letter referred to in subsection (1).

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

El Scotch posted:

1) The person not wearing the belt gets the ticket. It's as simple as that.

2) There are medical exemptions, see section 88.

It doesn't sound like a medical exemption applies - he said his passenger wasn't wearing a seatbelt because they'd just pulled out of a parking lot. That implies the passenger hadn't put it on yet, not that they had some reason to never wear a seatbelt.

Can the RCMP extract unpaid fines from someone's income? If this passenger does not pay the ticket, will the RCMP (or some other government agency) eventually extract the fine (plus, presumably late-payment fines and interest) from their income? It sounds like this person's income might be coming from the government via disability-support, I don't know if that complicates this in any way.

I'm also suprised that the passenger - despite being of the age of majority (this person can't drive, doesn't mean they can't vote / buy restricted things (cigs, booze) / other adult stuff) - got the ticket rather than the driver. The quoted bit of 82(3) is talking about the person operating the vehicle, i.e. the driver. I read that as being a law that places the responsibility for the passengers' seatbelts on the driver of the car.

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004
I think it would be really weird if it was the driver's responsibility to enforce adult passengers to wear their seat belts.

Amos Moses
Oct 13, 2012

by Ralp

ExecuDork posted:

It doesn't sound like a medical exemption applies - he said his passenger wasn't wearing a seatbelt because they'd just pulled out of a parking lot. That implies the passenger hadn't put it on yet, not that they had some reason to never wear a seatbelt.

Can the RCMP extract unpaid fines from someone's income? If this passenger does not pay the ticket, will the RCMP (or some other government agency) eventually extract the fine (plus, presumably late-payment fines and interest) from their income? It sounds like this person's income might be coming from the government via disability-support, I don't know if that complicates this in any way.

I'm also suprised that the passenger - despite being of the age of majority (this person can't drive, doesn't mean they can't vote / buy restricted things (cigs, booze) / other adult stuff) - got the ticket rather than the driver. The quoted bit of 82(3) is talking about the person operating the vehicle, i.e. the driver. I read that as being a law that places the responsibility for the passengers' seatbelts on the driver of the car.

Same. I was pretty floored when the passenger got the ticket. Apparently in AB they'll send you to collections for not paying a ticket and if you go to reg a vehicle/get a license you have to pay first.

They're thinking about going to court and asking to see if whoever does this kinda stuff will let them work it off via community service. I sort of just want to pay it for them on the sly. Had I known what the officer was doing prior I would have told them to issue me the ticket instead.

Get pulled over in a truck that probably faintly smelled of weed, windows have a pretty obvious illegal tint.. bust the passenger for a seatbelt.

Seatbelt awareness month my rear end.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
First off, yes they actually do projects where the traffic units are given specific offences to look for, and seat belts are one of them.

Second, if the recipient of the ticket doesn't pay it and doesn't go to court in the court date on the ticket, a warrant will be issued for them. Yes, a real warrant that means they can be arrested in the future if they're found by the police. The best thing to do is go to the provincial courthouse listed on the ticket and either pay it or speak to a prosecutor/justice of the peace and ask for a reduction, or plead guilty and ask for "time to pay". Then use the fine options program to work it off.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I was actually reading the list of fines for traffic offenses in Alberta. It's 50 God drat pages. They could stop you and empty your wallet for things you didn't know you were doing wrong.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Powershift posted:

I was actually reading the list of fines for traffic offenses in Alberta. It's 50 God drat pages. They could stop you and empty your wallet for things you didn't know you were doing wrong.

It's true - the equipment regulations in particular are so detailed that it's possible to write a dozen tickets on a stop if you dig enough. Hell, you can get a ticket for having your windshield washer fluid too low, or your tire tread below a certain depth. There are an overwhelming number of offences under all of the vehicle and driving related provincial acts and regulations.

I'd encourage people to try to read and understand as many of the offences as possible but to be honest, if you followed me for my morning commute and then inspected my car you'd absolutely be able to write me for at least four or five tickets if not more.

Just read them and do your best to follow them. I guess it's just the nature of the world we live in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Move to the lawless north.