Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Austrian mook posted:

Donkey Kong could easilly learn how to hold a controller.

Donkey Kong is lazy, he keeps saying he needs water breaks and that his "suit" is hot and that he needs "insulin". He's such a whiner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

greatn posted:

Donkey Kong is lazy, he keeps saying he needs water breaks and that his "suit" is hot and that he needs "insulin". He's such a whiner.

Excuse me? Donkey Kong would easilly kick almost any other Nintendo characters rear end.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Austrian mook posted:

Excuse me? Donkey Kong would easilly kick almost any other Nintendo characters rear end.

He can kick a few Miis rear end at least.

(yes I know this list is meaningless since the meta is still too young)

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Austrian mook posted:

Donkey Kong could easilly learn how to hold a controller.

Someone hasn't seen his idle animation. I love how Tropical Freeze uses actual 3DS sound bites, can't remember if Returns did the same

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

Help Im Alive posted:

A level editor, like a Mario Maker of some sort

lmao if anyone thinks Mario Maker will have anywhere near a good amount of features

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Smash bros is designed to make roughly all of the characters equal. If we actually go off the games cannon there's no way fox would remain a top tier character over every game, he hardly ever leaves his drat ship!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

What does S stand for? Is this just one persons opinion or something else?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Waltzing Along posted:

Are you new to video games?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

elf help book posted:

Are you new to video games?

Are you a human being who can't answer a simple question?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

More importantly, why is B the only grade on the +/- scale? Wtf?

ps suck my/a dick

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

:tutbutt:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Waltzing Along posted:

Maybe.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

haha holy poo poo.

S stands for Special which is what YOU are.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Speaking of this, This article goes into interesting detail about the meta rankings over the last decade.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Grass Effect posted:

lmao if anyone thinks Mario Maker will have anywhere near a good amount of features
The trailer showed you can make a Bullet Bill cannon shoot out a fountain of coins so I think it'll be pretty sweet

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Waltzing Along posted:

Please keep the homophobia OUT of this forum.

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

Pablo Gigante posted:

The trailer showed you can make a Bullet Bill cannon shoot out a fountain of coins so I think it'll be pretty sweet

OK I guess I'm just ignorant. I hadn't seen any new stuff about it since announcement.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

loving hell I hate SSB :spergin: so much

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

LethalGeek posted:

loving hell I hate SSB :spergin: so much

Why?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Lblitzer posted:

haha holy poo poo.

S stands for Special which is what YOU are.

Speaking of this, This article goes into interesting detail about the meta rankings over the last decade.

This article is really interesting, and its cool seeing how players perception of characters evolve.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I like to believe that among non-professional players, most smash combatants are pretty balanced.

With the exception of meta knight in Brawl, who is broken as gently caress.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Austrian mook posted:

This article is really interesting, and its cool seeing how players perception of characters evolve.

Yeah, it's interesting in a "wow people really sperg out over this game" kinda way, and not in the sense that the competitive Smash scene is in any way interesting (because it's not).

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Yeah, it's interesting in a "wow people really sperg out over this game" kinda way, and not in the sense that the competitive Smash scene is in any way interesting (because it's not).

:jerkbag:

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

competitive smash owns

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Everyone stop. It's VERY important that all of you know that I think competitive smash is bad and dumb. I repeat, it is REALLY important.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Hey are you guys talking about smash in here? Haha, have you heard that I think competitive smash is dumb! I think it really sucks!!

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I bet you also support tripping, you monster...

kater
Nov 16, 2010

This new Smash is the first time I've ever felt old playing a videogame. I tried the 3DS demo and really didn't like it and just assumed that it was cruddy controls. Then I got the Wii U version and I can barely do anything. Just making my guy jump around feels like a herculean task and trying to use abilities and match up what I want to happen versus what's going on just makes me feel like a grandpa mashing his peas instead of playing a videogame. I used to play shitloads of melee and brawl and did pretty drat good and now I can't beat level 3 cpus much less play against human beings.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Those nerds who like a video game are big losers, but unlike them im cool as hell.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I played competitive melee in college, smash is fun and videogames are great. Hope this helps/

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

kater posted:

This new Smash is the first time I've ever felt old playing a videogame. I tried the 3DS demo and really didn't like it and just assumed that it was cruddy controls. Then I got the Wii U version and I can barely do anything. Just making my guy jump around feels like a herculean task and trying to use abilities and match up what I want to happen versus what's going on just makes me feel like a grandpa mashing his peas instead of playing a videogame. I used to play shitloads of melee and brawl and did pretty drat good and now I can't beat level 3 cpus much less play against human beings.

I have a better time with it than you, but I agree movement in Smash 4 feels off and I can't tell if it's my own age or the Wii U joysticks being imprecise.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I played competitive melee in college, smash is fun and videogames are great. Hope this helps/

I'm sorry - my own opinion is almost certainly colored by the fact that there was always one "fox vs fox, final destination, no items" person in college who wouldn't play unless everyone else conformed to his specifications. Maybe the scene has got better since then.

I haven't played enough of the new Smash to tell for sure yet but it seems to control about the same as Brawl, as far as I can tell.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Devil Wears Wings posted:

"fox vs fox, final destination, no items"

Ah, so you actually dont know anything at all about competitive smash, then.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I was loving baffled when I went to a friend's place after a night of drinking with a big group and everyone appeased the ONE dude who demanded we only play on the omega stages.

gently caress that guy.

He actually started in with "Items decrease the fun" and we yelled at him enough that he came up with the "no funky stages" nonsense.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

kater posted:

I thought a lot of this too but just know that using anything but the Pro or Gamecube controller is terrible and feels just wrong in comparison.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Austrian mook posted:

Ah, so you actually dont know anything at all about competitive smash, then.

That may be true, I don't play competitive video games so my only exposure to it is through the people who are really into it. But it's not like they made me want to go out and join a smash tournament or something so v:shobon:v

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

all smash is competitive smash

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I liked that time when a kid won a smash bros tourney but some weirdo creep smash players hounded and stalked him around telling him to give up the trophy cause the tourney didn't use the same rules the weirdos did

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Everyone's opinion is valuable

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I wish they had not swapped the shield/roll dodge button with the throw button and then make me switch it every time I play but otherwise no problems, really. Some of the characters are stranger, though. Which is a good thing as there are plenty of "normal" feeling characters.

It's a good game, folks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Smash was cool when there was actually poo poo to do in the game single player.

• Locked thread