Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Pookum posted:

I knew someone who had tritium night sights on a gun for coon hunting. He used to leave it under a lamp for a few hours so it would charge with light sorta like those glow in the dark stars you stick to your bedroom ceiling.

Kinda neat to know its a radioactive gas shooting off beta particles that make phosphorous light up

Those aren't tritium. That's just a guy trying to show off and say he has tritium sights, but really lying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Geirskogul posted:

Those aren't tritium. That's just a guy trying to show off and say he has tritium sights, but really lying.

The tritium key chains I bought from DX 7 years ago are still glowing. No need for charging because it's a radioactive decay powersource.

Lamp charged beta decay source?

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe
Must be hell of a lamp.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Geirskogul posted:

Or they are tritium and the dude just thinks he needs to leave them under the lamp.

or he doesn't *think* that, just more of a unconscious response due to how other glow in the dark stuff works.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Magnus Praeda posted:

You gotta wonder when they stopped trying to defend that trademark.

"Yeah, that drug we introduced as a less addictive alternative to morphine? Um...oops?"

Is it oops, or had they already made massive bank on it before it started getting banned? I mean, you can buy morphine from anywhere but if you're now addicted to heroin instead and can only buy it from Bayer that's some serious market lock-in.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
I bought a tritium vial keychain a few months ago from a shady Korean vendor. Its cool enough that I bought another for myself and my girlfriend yesterday. I just enjoy the idea of having a vial of radioactive gas hanging from my keychain.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Just pass it by the giger counter every once in a while.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Just pass it by the giger counter every once in a while.

CPM directly through a tritium vial is lower than background because it's a chunk of plastic that blocks alpha and beta particles.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Most GITD paints that require charging via light (they charge best off UV light) are Europium based, tritium paints don't require charging.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

kastein posted:

Most GITD paints that require charging via light (they charge best off UV light) are Europium based, tritium paints don't require charging.

Tritium comes in vials with a phosphor coating on the inside to glow from being hit by electrons. Radioactive paint was made with radium, which is a lot worse than some tritium stuck inside a glass tube.

In the first 6 minutes of this video, he holds a geiger counter up to a radium watch and then to a tritium watch. The difference is insane.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVB0F7kORII

EdibleBodyParts
Dec 27, 2005
Body Parts...that are edible

Magnus Praeda posted:

You gotta wonder when they stopped trying to defend that trademark.

"Yeah, that drug we introduced as a less addictive alternative to morphine? Um...oops?"

After the First World War, Bayer lost the trademark rights to aspirin and heroin in France, Russia, the UK, and the US under the Treaty of Versailles. They still own Aspirin in other places, including Germany and Canada. I have no idea if they distanced themselves from the heroin trademark.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

jetz0r posted:

CPM directly through a tritium vial is lower than background because it's a chunk of plastic that blocks alpha and beta particles.

I dont trust shady vendor plastic.
Just in case it leaks. Iunno. Tritiums a small rear end particle.

Maybe get a shady vendor counter as well.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Exactly. In which case the tiny, low-pressure amount of tritium gas dilutes in the air to safe concentrations in seconds. If you're wearing the thing on your skin, a leak would still giving you a smaller dose than eating a banana does.

There's a reason tritium can legally be sold without any kind of permit.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Don't lick, ingest, or chew on the unknown Chinese plastic. It's a much more credible threat to your health than 2 mm^3 of tritium.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Tritium is mostly a danger when consumed as tritiated water. Heavy water reactors like the CANDUs here in Canada produce fairly large amounts of tritium during their normal operation and some of this inevitably leaks into the environment. We did an experiment in my environmental radiation course where we found a strong correlation between tritium in drinking water and proximity to a nuclear power plant. However, the levels were still far below the regulatory limit - they topped out at like 80 Bq/l compared to the regulatory limit of 1000 Bq/l.

The best way to detect tritium in water is to use a liquid scintillation counter, where the water sample is mixed with an organic compound that fluoresces when impacted with a beta particle. This is similar to how the tritium glow in the dark thingies work except the organic scintillant is selected for being sensiting and emitting light highly proportional to the activity of the tritium rather than being bright or having a particular colour. The pulses of light are then counted by the machine with a photomultiplier tube in a dark chamber.

Coincidentally if someone is suspected of having consumed a high-activity sample of tritiated water the best way to calculate the dose is to take a urine sample from them and run it through the liquid scintillation counter.

Edit: I had a feeling that I posted something like this earlier in the thread and it looks like I had, but it's still pretty relevant

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Liquid Scintillation Counters are really cool. My university had one that was probably from the early 80s which could only be operated using the early 80s computer that came with it originally running some weird DOS. It had an autoloader that worked by having little plastic flags attached to sample bottles press against switches to move them into position.

We used it for measuring the activities of tritiated water samples too, I guess thats a pretty common experiment, and also for determining the proportion of 234Th activity in a sample of Uranium nitrate.

Scintillators are a pretty interesting thing to study too, and an extremely clever way of measuring radioactivity. We always used to use one called POPOP :3:.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Venusian Weasel posted:

Speaking of radioactive stuff, I saw a cool video of radioactive elements put into a cloud chamber:

Americium-241
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H94nwmlPLY0

Radon-220
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q252mAH7hnI

Thorium
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo0w4LNNvt0
If you build a cloud chamber out of a fish tank (you need a big container to be able to see them without getting bored waiting, ) you can see cosmic rays :science:

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

GWBBQ posted:

If you build a cloud chamber out of a fish tank (you need a big container to be able to see them without getting bored waiting, ) you can see cosmic rays :science:

Look at the Americium video, aren't those cosmic rays on the opposite side of the chamber from the source?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Royal W posted:

Look at the Americium video, aren't those cosmic rays on the opposite side of the chamber from the source?
Watching it again, the thin straight lines are probably muons from cosmic rays hitting the upper atmosphere. Not sure about the alpha particles that aren't coming from the source, maybe that's a question for the physics thread.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I asked in the physics thread and a particle physicist (who, by the way, has had one or two awesome Large Hadron Collider Q&A threads you should look up) said that most of the particles not from the Am source are probably from cosmic radiation.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2880864&pagenumber=228#post442636241

The question also prompted a couple of "now I want to build a cloud chamber" replies. I also want to build one

GWBBQ has a new favorite as of 15:28 on Apr 12, 2019

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

GWBBQ posted:

I asked in the physics thread and a particle physicist (who, by the way, has had one or two awesome Large Hadron Collider Q&A threads you should look up) said that most of the particles not from the Am source are probably from cosmic radiation.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2880864&pagenumber=228#post442636241

The question also permitted a couple of "now I want to build a cloud chamber" replies. I also want to build one

I looked it up, all you need's a fishtank, some isopropyl alcohol-soaked rags, and dry ice. You line the sides of the tank with the rags, then drop some slices of dry ice into the bottom of the tank. Then just put the lid back on and you start getting supercooled vapor that makes the particle tracks visible.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Imagine this in the hands of German researchers,,,

http://3dprint.com/50777/molecular-3d-printer/

:gonk:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

"And one more nitrogen..."

Max Manus
Oct 25, 2004

Saboteur par excellence.
Nap Ghost

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

At least the company that makes the printers would have a very steady source of income :v:

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Wasabi the J posted:

"This reaction's mostly useful if you've got a molecular printer that you don't want any more."

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I guess it's 3d in that mass takes up physical space.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Bip Roberts posted:

If the Germans got involved...very briefly.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Bip Roberts posted:

Pretty sure it'll get very 3d very quickly if you use it to print high explosives.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Wasabi the J posted:

Hexanitro what?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

"And one Und von more nitrogen..."
Raising the ever important kapow-per-gram ratio.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Venusian Weasel posted:

I looked it up, all you need's a fishtank, some isopropyl alcohol-soaked rags, and dry ice. You line the sides of the tank with the rags, then drop some slices of dry ice into the bottom of the tank. Then just put the lid back on and you start getting supercooled vapor that makes the particle tracks visible.
I don't want to rely on dry ice, I'm thinking of following this.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Geirskogul posted:

Hexanitro what?

Hexanitrohexaazaisowurtzitane, AKA CL-20. Probably the best quote from that article:

quote:

There's a recent report of a method to make a more stable form of it, by mixing it with TNT. Yes, this is an example of something that becomes less explosive as a one-to-one cocrystal with TNT. Although, as the authors point out, if you heat those crystals up the two components separate out, and you're left with crystals of pure CL-20 soaking in liquid TNT, a situation that will heighten your awareness of the fleeting nature of life.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

darthbob88 posted:

Hexanitrohexaazaisowurtzitane, AKA CL-20. Probably the best quote from that article:

AKA For the love of God! Run!!! :supaburn:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

AKA For the love of God! Run!!! :supaburn:

If you're around to hear someone telling you to run from something that starts "Hexanitro-", you're not running fast enough.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

If you're around to hear someone telling you to run from something that starts "Hexanitro-", you're not running fast enough.
Reminds me of "Ignition!", where the author tells the story of a chlorine trifluoride spill

quote:

Miraculously, nobody was killed, but there was one casualty­ - the man who had been steadying the cylinder when it split. He was found some five hundred feet away, where he had reached Mach 2 and was still picking up speed when he was stopped by a heart attack.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

My favorite thing about this thread is how someone posts something from Ignition! nearly every other page. It's practically required reading in here. :science:

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Luneshot posted:

My favorite thing about this thread is how someone posts something from Ignition! nearly every other page. It's practically required reading in here. :science:

A link to the PDF of Ignition! should probably just be put in the OP so no one forgets.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Shipon posted:

A link to the PDF of Ignition! should probably just be put in the OP so no one forgets.

It's technically :filez:, so better not.

e: never mind, go read it

Zopotantor has a new favorite as of 16:04 on Mar 15, 2015

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Zopotantor posted:

It's technically :filez:, so better not.

The spaceflight thread has had it in their op for months and nobody has cared yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Ignition! An informal history of liquid rocket propellants. - Free PDF download via sciencemadness.org