Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Lets Pickle posted:

I mean that card is pretty bad and probably not playable in a non-core set draft, but Rise had commons like Aura finesse, Contaminated ground, Death Cultist, Demonic Appetite, Demystify, Eland Umbra, Fissure vent, Harmless Assault, Lay Bare, Haze Frog, Living Destiny, Nighthaze, Shared Discovery, Stalwart Shield-Bearers, plus the usual vanilla 2/1s for 2 and 2/3 for 3, plus things like Champion's Drake and Battle Rampart that look like they might be good if you set up properly but were actually unplayable. It was still a good format to draft but there was a LOT of unplayable to mediocre stuff.

:what:

the levelers deck wasn't great after zvi/some others posted that article that told everyone how to draft it so you had to compete w/ 2+ other people to get it when it relied on a critical mass but champion's drake was always pretty good when you hit a critical mass because it was one of the cards you could play that would let you actually race with the control decks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
If the worst thing Maro is doing to magic is fighting against Hornet Sting reprints, I'm pretty fine with that.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
That bad distortion strike is going to be a house in limited so I guess there is that! Blue 4-mana 5-10 damage that sets of prowess twice is not really something to be sneezed at.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Serperoth posted:

He said in a podcast about how the Simpson family each embodies a colour. I think Homer is black (or red) , Marge is white, Lisa is blue, Maggie is green, and Bart is the colour that Homer isn't.

MaRo is a huge nerd basically. :allears:

uGH, the inner autist needs to clarify this.

Homer is red, Homer does what Homer wants to do with no malicious intent, but an extreme lack of foresight.

Bart is black because he is self-serving and malicious and uses others to achieve his goals.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

JerryLee posted:

And you want to reconcile this with the cool person who talks to you about what color Homer Simpson would be or tells you neat playtest stories but the cognitive dissonance stacks up a little bit too high and so you end up making angry posts in the MTG thread about it as a way to release the pain.

The secret to resolving the dissonance is just to imagine everything Mark Rosewater says in Mark Rosewater's voice. Everything makes sense when you imagine a tiny, excitable clown saying it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I actually think my first impression of the dragon land was wrong. It's good if you're playing it in like a UB control deck that can support the colorless mana.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Entropic posted:

If the worst thing Maro is doing to magic is fighting against Hornet Sting reprints, I'm pretty fine with that.
I think it's more the issue that he's railing against green having anything that could even barely be called removal that doesn't involve a creature with X power hitting a creature with X toughness or less. Which is boring and lovely and kind of leaves us in the 1994 days of magic where blue gets everything because of its "reality warping" flavor, black gets almost as much for its "pay some life to get Wish as per the D&D spell" flavor, and the other colors just sort of faff about wishing they got cool toys too.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Entropic posted:

No, it was when he thought this was a perfectly fine minotaur tribal commander:

This card that isn't a minotaur.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

whydirt posted:

The posts in this thread are last-pick trash.

I should have been paying attention to signals better, now I'm stuck with a ton of mcmagic quotes and Toshimo insults. at least this first picked RME's forced meme is good in my EDH deck.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

mcmagic posted:

I actually think my first impression of the dragon land was wrong. It's good if you're playing it in like a UB control deck that can support the colorless mana.

You mean you now think the thing that like four people told you when it was spoiled and you said it was garbage?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'm deeply sorry for your loss, you and the 3 other people who care deeply about having a Minotaur Tribal Commander for EDH.

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/113494541833/i-think-the-reason-why-so-many-people-were

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Maybe Mogis was a minotaur during development and it was removed. Maro can't keep track of all this stuff. Maro has other things to do than worry about your EDH decks.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

You mean you now think the thing that like four people told you when it was spoiled and you said it was garbage?
Hey, let the man admit he's wrong in peace.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Entropic posted:

I'm deeply sorry for your loss, you and the 3 other people who care deeply about having a Minotaur Tribal Commander for EDH.

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/113494541833/i-think-the-reason-why-so-many-people-were

It's more the lovely rationalization of the lack of the legend and the obvious spots where it could've gone, here on the eve of the third time this has happened in the last four years, when he has specifically acknowledged the last two times were wrong.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

I am waiting for RME to literally post every common and say which of his EDH decks they'll go well in.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I'm very interested in seeing the impact the set will have on Standard. I, in my amateur opinion, don't feel it has a lot of pieces to add to existing deck archetypes. What is Abzan Midrange gaining from the set, for instance, aside from a few potential sideboard pieces? Sidisi Whip and 4-color Whip get another Sidisi to play with. Gw Devotion gets another potential wincon I guess?

From what I'm seeing it looks like there will be some New Archetypes and New decks popping up post-launch. UW control is MUCH stronger, and several T2 standard decks will likely be able to either add or drop another color as required for better consistency or to shore up some weaknesses.

I'm personally looking at a potential Jund strategy which I didn't even think was possible pre-Dragons. Regardless, this whole Block has been pretty crazy as far as constructed has gone. Gone are the days of RTR/THR with 3 real competitive decks.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It's more the lovely rationalization of the lack of the legend and the obvious spots where it could've gone, here on the eve of the third time this has happened in the last four years, when he has specifically acknowledged the last two times were wrong.

Taigam doesn't fit into the cycle and you know it. We're also never given every character mentioned in lore and flavour text, and you know it. Just give up already.

Rimusutera fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 13, 2015

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Rimusutera posted:

Taigam doesn't fit into the cycle and you loving know it.
Yeah Taigam, a character with a unique storyline twist that completely changed his fate, has no place in a set about the impact of time travel on a plane following Fate Reforged. Much better to ship a four cycle of legends, leaving blue with an empty slot, than put in such an abomination.

Dude is being crazy but don't be crazy yourself man.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Has anyone noticed how the art for this new set just feels really off? The contrast is way up there, and a lot of the art features a lot of black. Usually artists don't use pitch black, but simulate it with other colors. Like for instance, this card has just a lot of pitch black and I think it ends up looking weird, while this card uses dark brown instead of black, and it looks way better. Because of this and everything being clean, stylised and lacking textures, the art in this set once again has that CG feel.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Taigam is a very important character (who the 95% of magic players who don't read the lore articles know as "Who? Oh, that guy whose name is on that unplayable blue common? Who's he again?")

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Spiderdrake posted:

Yeah Taigam, a character with a unique storyline twist that completely changed his fate, has no place in a set about the impact of time travel on a plane following Fate Reforged. Much better to ship a four cycle of legends, leaving blue with an empty slot

Narset is blue's part of this cycle apparently.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
It's funny how taking the reverse angle of this problem two years ago (a mythic Planeswalker can't stand in as part of a cycle of legends) is what ultimately got us Emmara Tandris.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Rimusutera posted:

I should have been paying attention to signals better, now I'm stuck with a ton of mcmagic quotes and Toshimo insults. at least this first picked RME's forced meme is good in my EDH deck.

i like this post

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

forbidden lesbian posted:

i like this post

It will go in my good posts edh deck.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Attorney at Funk posted:

It's funny how taking the reverse angle of this problem two years ago (a mythic Planeswalker can't stand in as part of a cycle of legends) is what ultimately got us Emmara Tandris.

DGM at least finished its cycles with cards instead of blogatog posts.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Spiderdrake posted:

Much better to ship a four cycle of legends, leaving blue with an empty slot, than put in such an abomination.

Dude is being crazy but don't be crazy yourself man.

It isn't a cycle of colours, it's a cycle of folks who were Khans in the alternate future.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Zoness posted:

I'm gonna be honest I don't think reducing mana cost by 1 on an already insanely overcosted spell is pushing it.

I get the making removal lovely at common thing but 3B is hardly pushed.

I didn't mean pushed in the sense that it's way above the power curve (so I probably shouldn't have used the word pushed), but I feel like it's a good way to show that removal is more important in this set - by having the same effect cheaper from one half of the block to the other.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Balon posted:

This guy:

Gonna put it with a Deadeye Navigator in My Kitchen-Table Casual Deck and make infinite zombies forever :hellyeah:

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Serperoth posted:

It isn't a cycle of colours, it's a cycle of folks who were Khans in the alternate future.
Oh, I know. But cant you see how noted Jeskai criminal and traitor Taigam fits into the ex-khan cycle?

Basically I'm saying I don't admire Maro's lack of conviction to the pun god.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Entropic posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Traditional Games > Magic: the Gathering: Megathread: Posters have more expectations than we can ever meet.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Who is Taigam

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Taigam, in Khans was an ex-Jeskai who now is a Sultai Mage.

In Dragons he is the head of the Jeskai Monks

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Mikujin posted:

Who is Taigam

Taigam is a minor story character who, in the original timeline, defected from the Jeskai to the Sultai and became an advisor to Sidisi. In the new, evil timeline, where humanity is subject to the tyrannical rule of dragons, Taigam never defected and is now a martial arts master in the Ojutai clan. You can see him on the KTK card "Taigam's Scheming", and on the DTK card "Taigam's Strike".

More importantly, the fact that he doesn't get a creature card in the new set is a vector along which people can feel aggrieved and disappointed by the new set.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Mikujin posted:

Who is Taigam

Entropic posted:

Taigam is a very important character (who the 95% of magic players who don't read the lore articles know as "Who? Oh, that guy whose name is on that unplayable blue common? Who's he again?")

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Weird, this sentence is the only time I've ever mentioned Taigam by name. Almost as if this is about them having monocolor legends with their clan's keywords for the other four but not this one, and not who the legend might've been.

I care entirely too much about this but could you at least be accurate about what it is?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Weird, this sentence is the only time I've ever mentioned Taigam by name. Almost as if this is about them having monocolor legends with their clan's keywords for the other four but not this one, and not who the legend might've been.

I care entirely too much about this but could you at least be accurate about what it is?

No.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

I agree with you OFS, it's dumb, there should have been a blue legendary creature acting as the "Khan" for the block. But :shrug: it could have been much worse, I'd rather they just not print a legendary hole filler than end up with another Emmara Tandris.

edit-I's a stupid for writing whole instead of hole....it is preserved forever below.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 13, 2015

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Madmarker posted:

I agree with you OFS, it's dumb, there should have been a blue legendary creature acting as the "Khan" for the block. But :shrug: it could have been much worse, I'd rather they just not print a legendary whole filler than end up with another Emmara Tandris.

The others aren't even khans though. Zurgo's demoted to Bellringer. Anafenza is a ghost heretic. Sidisi is zombie sidekick. Surrak is just a hunter guy. And Narset's now a planeswalker.

The cycle isn't "new clan leaders" it's "Where are they now?" for the original Khans in the KTK time line.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
But why male monks?

Also incomplete cycles are awesome.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
They should print a block consisting entirely of 4-card cycles. :smugwizard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Entropic posted:

The others aren't even khans though. Zurgo's demoted to Bellringer. Anafenza is a ghost heretic. Sidisi is zombie sidekick. Surrak is just a hunter guy. And Narset's now a planeswalker.

The cycle isn't "new clan leaders" it's "Where are they now?" for the original Khans in the KTK time line.

Hence the quotation marks around the word "Khans" You are right it is a where are they now, and Taigam getting a card would have been a neat way of addressing the color imbalance in the creatures of the cycle.

As I said, I think its stupid that they didn't give a mono-u legend, but its a minor annoyance, and I would rather they have a big hole in the cycle than print a lackluster Legend like Tandris.

• Locked thread