Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

bobkatt013 posted:

The original Booster Gold run, Countdown to Infinite Crisis, Blue Beetle (2006), Formerly Known as the Justice League, and JLA Classified #4–9

redbackground posted:

You should look into new issues of Justice League 3000 (start with #11, I think?), where JLI Booster and Beetle are awoken in the year, well, 3000 a la Fry from Futurama. It's written by Giffen and DeMatteis, too.

Have you read Formerly Known As The Justice League and I Can't Believe It's Not The Justice League?

You guys are rad. Thanks for the help.

I actually came here because someone on Kotaku posted a page from JL 3000, but didn't know where to jump in. I also think I've read an issue of I Can't Believe It's Not the Justice League where Booster gets the team sent to hell by wishing on a strange artifact in Dr. Fate's headquarters, but it had some terrible artwork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Giffen also had a brief run on Booster's solo book before the New 52, which had a fun arc featuring Ted, Barda and Scott Free.

And Justice League: Generation Lost, which basically wound up with Booster leading a new JLI consisting of himself, Skeets, Jaime Reyes, Fire, Ice, Captain Atom, Rocket Red, Batman, Wonder Woman and Power Girl was way better than it had any right to be. Probably because it wasn't the 'important' event series at the time.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

dragon_pamcake posted:

I also think I've read an issue of I Can't Believe It's Not the Justice League where Booster gets the team sent to hell by wishing on a strange artifact in Dr. Fate's headquarters, but it had some terrible artwork.
Kevin Maguire is a national treasure, yo.

(He's the original JLI artist, too, :cmon:)

redbackground fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 13, 2015

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

redbackground posted:

Kevin Maguire is a national treasure, yo.

(He's the original JLI artist, too, :cmon:)

I'm gonna second this. He draws some of the funniest but still realistic facial expressions, everyone just happens to look like they got caught mid talking in a photo (which is part of the charm).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
It could have been the coloring in that particular issue.

Kevin Macguire is who really made Guy Gardner charming.

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg
I really loved Saga of the Swamp Thing. What are some other good comics about with existential outsider protagonists? Would Silver Surfer scratch that itch?

e: partner works at a library so I went ahead and put Silver Surfer: Parable, Requiem, and the Epic Collection on hold. Libraries are magic! Anything else I should wizard to my door?

Mahasamatman fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 13, 2015

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Mahasamatman posted:

I really loved Saga of the Swamp Thing. What are some other good comics about with existential outsider protagonists? Would Silver Surfer scratch that itch?
Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I need a quick recommendation. Are university X and Earth X worth reading just generally? Some fairly cheap buys at a con but I'm running out of space in my bag

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Earth X is cool and has some interesting ideas but Paradise and Universe get bit wonky.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Opopanax posted:

Earth X is cool and has some interesting ideas but Paradise and Universe get bit wonky.

Do you like the idea of Nightcrawler is Belasco? Colossus is Mr. Sinister?

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
I just finished X-Factor (2005) on unlimited and I really liked it. As someone who hasn't read that much marvel, whats a good next step? Something else Peter David wrote? Start of some of the other mutant titles from pre/post House of M?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Pad also wrote the recently canceled all new x factor.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

bobkatt013 posted:

Do you like the idea of Nightcrawler is Belasco? Colossus is Mr. Sinister?

Aren't those from the sequels? Those would be the wonky bits I referred to

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

notthegoatseguy posted:

Pad also wrote the recently canceled all new x factor.

D'oh. Though the phrase "recently canceled" seems all to common with Marvel lately.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Billy Gnosis posted:

D'oh. Though the phrase "recently canceled" seems all to common with Marvel lately.

Several years ago, Marvel would launch minis as a testing ground rather than ongoings. That means a team would get 3-6 issues and be done and then maybe get something else later at an undetermined time. In some cases, ongoings would be announced and be reduced to minis before the first issue was published. I think there was a Dr. Voodoo or some other C-list mini that was canceled before it even came out and never was published.

Marvel has really tried to reduce the number of minis in recent years and has pretty much told creative teams they're guaranteed 12 issues to try their thing. Most of the times they get canceled were sales. Sometimes they'll give certain books or creative teams more leeway. I know Hickman wanted Secret Warriors to be 50 issues. He could've plotted as if he had 50 and been canceled at 28 but he somehow reached an agreement to go to 28 and presumably consolidated the plot to fit that window. PAD probably got some leeway as well with X-Factor since it wasn't really a big seller. And Capt Marvel and, in a previous era, MC2 Spider-Girl, get a lot of leeway due to being female leads in the title.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Billy Gnosis posted:

I just finished X-Factor (2005) on unlimited and I really liked it. As someone who hasn't read that much marvel, whats a good next step? Something else Peter David wrote? Start of some of the other mutant titles from pre/post House of M?

I didn't stick around for the end of that X-Factor run, but I absolutely loved the first few years of it (through Volume 5 of the TPBs). If you enjoyed the character development and humor, try Milligan and Allred's X-Force/X-Statix, Fraction and Aja's Hawkeye, Spencer and Lieber's Superior Foes of Spider-Man, and the She-Hulk runs written by Dan Slott and Charles Soule.

If you want mutant books specifically, Whedon and Cassaday's Astonishing X-Men was fantastic, as well as the aforementioned X-Force/X-Statix.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

The recent Gambit solo series was really good as well, and PAD pretty much writes the same character in All New X-Factor and even picks up on some of Gambit's sub plots.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Rick Remender's Uncanny X-Force might be one of the best comics you'll ever read, so I'd give that a shot.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Teenage Fansub posted:

Rick Remender's Uncanny X-Force might be one of the best comics you'll ever read, so I'd give that a shot.

While this is an undeniably true statement, it's also not the best advice for someone looking to follow up X-Factor; the tonal shift between those two books would be... jarring.

I mean, it's an amazing book, it's just... besides having an X in the front they're really not books that have much in common.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

notthegoatseguy posted:

The recent Gambit solo series was really good as well, and PAD pretty much writes the same character in All New X-Factor and even picks up on some of Gambit's sub plots.

And if you like Gambit, then go for the X-23 series.

EDIT: Wait, didn't X-23 make Gambit cool again and then his solo started? Maybe I'm backwards.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Be careful, X-23's original series was terrible, don't read that one by accident.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Well the series she was introduced in where she was introduced as a prostitute was pretty bad. But I at least enjoyed reading her original two minis. I don't remember anything particularly bad in them but they mostly resolved her issues with Wolverine and the trigger scent (Which of course loving Hopeless bought back up in Avengers Arena). I don't know if they'd be worth buying at MSRP but if you've got access to a library or Unlimited they're worth it.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Be careful, X-23's original series was terrible, don't read that one by accident.

Oh man, I forgot. You want the Majorie Liu one

Faustoan Bargain
Dec 24, 2009

I'd sell my soul for a pitcher with a power sinker...
What was wrong with the first X-23 series? Pretty sure I've read three solo runs for her and liked them all at least to an extent... Liu's was probably the best run, though.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Mahasamatman posted:

e: partner works at a library so I went ahead and put Silver Surfer: Parable, Requiem, and the Epic Collection on hold. Libraries are magic! Anything else I should wizard to my door?
If by some chance you haven't read Sandman, it does that very well in the same Vertigo mold.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Where should I start to get up to date on the current Flash story? The show has me loving the character again. The last thing I read was Rebirth.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The Manapul run. Then stop.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Where should I start to get up to date on the current Flash story? The show has me loving the character again. The last thing I read was Rebirth.

The first Mark Waid and Johns run. They had second runs, but are subpar compared to their first. Also the Manapul run.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Apparently the book currently blows and the creative team is going forward in July, so maybe don't get too interested in getting caught up to that. Don't fill in the gaps after Rebirth with Flashpoint or anything.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 19, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

Apparently the book currently blows and the creative team is going forward in July, so maybe don't get too interested in getting caught up to that. Don't fill in the gaps after Rebirth with Flashpoint or anything.

It is currently so so slow. It makes you feel Bendis is going fast at his most decompressed.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

bobkatt013 posted:

It is currently so so slow. It makes you feel Bendis is going fast at his most decompressed.

Can you attribute its slowness to the speed force? :flashfact:

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

I've never really read comics but I came across "Crossed" on Wikipedia somehow and ordered the first 4 collections (The third collection - "Psychopath" was the most hosed up thing I've ever read) and am getting the rest (Badlands, +100) - can anyone recommend anything that is equally as hosed up I might like reading?

E: I like Aliens, Judge Dredd, Predator, etc. but I have no idea where to start. Sci-Fi/hosed up poo poo is my favorite genre. I've read Johnny the Homicidal Maniac/Marvel Zombies/Sin City but that was a decade ago I guess.

mst4k fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Mar 21, 2015

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I haven't read Crossed, but you may like Preacher from your description.

Are you aware of Predator vs Judge Dredd vs Aliens? Because it is ridiculous and amazing.

Predator Versus Judge Dredd Versus Aliens https://www.amazon.com/dp/1616554797/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_uRndvb11FN2F3

Edit: let me throw out recommendations for Fear Agent, Manhattan Projects, and, most of all, East of West.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 21, 2015

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Uthor posted:

Predator Versus Judge Dredd Versus Aliens https://www.amazon.com/dp/1616554797/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_uRndvb11FN2F3

Edit: let me throw out recommendations for Fear Agent, Manhattan Projects, and, most of all, East of West.

Ordered and I'll for sure check out the rest. Thanks man!

E: East of West looks great and so does Manhattan Projects so I ordered those as well. Fear Agent sounds hosed so I'll get that when I'm done with all this stuff coming. Thanks a ton g!

mst4k fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Mar 21, 2015

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Where's the best place to start with Valiant Comics?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Where's the best place to start with Valiant Comics?

Harbinger is a good place to start with the beginning of the relaunch a few years ago.
The new crossover miniseries The Valiant is okay to jump on now. It explains things pretty well.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 21, 2015

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

karma_coma posted:

Ordered and I'll for sure check out the rest. Thanks man!

E: East of West looks great and so does Manhattan Projects so I ordered those as well. Fear Agent sounds hosed so I'll get that when I'm done with all this stuff coming. Thanks a ton g!

Those three books are great but they are not really like Crossed. If you want ridiculous gore and enjoyed Crossed post-Ennis I would suggest The Boys, Uber, Supergod, and the Ennis run on Stormwatch/The Authority.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

So I'm reading Saga (volume 1 HC) and it's amazing. Does Vaughan have a planned ending for this?

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

drat those all look great as well. Ordered The Boys - Thanks man!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

obi_ant posted:

So I'm reading Saga (volume 1 HC) and it's amazing. Does Vaughan have a planned ending for this?

From an interview, nothing but good news:

Brian K. Vaughan posted:

Well, the book is called Saga, which would be a lousy title for a miniseries. If readers stick around to support us, I'm hoping the book lasts longer than Y: The Last Man and Ex Machina combined. I've already written the last page of the last issue, but I hope we won't reach that endpoint for many years to come.