Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
At last, the disco ball attained true funk.
Buuuuuurrrrrrnnnnn baby burn...

Neurion posted:

The boarding team seemed really really tempted and wowed by the possibilities presented by the remaining biocircuitry. I'm glad Janeway was able to keep them on task.

They wouldn't be Hiigarans if they didn't at least try to loot something...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

berryjon posted:

I had a test run where I just used the Cannon on the Mothership. It took too long (I think there's some programming buggery involved), as it took four shots in the 70% band without dying.

The Siege Cannon fires too slow to finish it off, though it does great at clearing out all the chaff that spawns in. I think there was supposed to be some quirk with the Beast Mothership here. Namely that it goes to ram the Kuun-Lan forcing you to use conventional weaponry on it.

That might be next mission though.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

MJ12 posted:

Remember back in mission 1 when these guys didn't give Somtaaw any respect?

Yeah.

Also, I did remind you about the line in mission 1 before. Rewatch that video again when the Kuun-Lan declares that it's here to assist, before you watch the last one. The payoff for keeping that line in mind is coming soon.

Remember that the Kiith in the first mission was Naabal, not the underdog-rooting Manaan that encompassed the Caal-Stho and the fleet at the start of mission 16.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

my dad posted:

They wouldn't be Hiigarans if they didn't at least try to loot something...
That's the character-defining moment for the Somtaaw. They see an useful new technology and they don't steal it.
Might be part of the reason why they were such a tiny Kiith in the first place.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Isee the Higaarans as mostly haven gotten over the whole "capture everything" after HW1, because it is hard to top capturing a planet.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Slashrat posted:

Isee the Higaarans as mostly haven gotten over the whole "capture everything" after HW1, because it is hard to top capturing a planet.

Just don't say that out loud in front of them or someone will go "CHALLENGE ACCEPTED" and start drafting plans to abscond with an entire solar system...

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
It would be hilarious to see the Hiigarans pull a Pierson's Puppeteers gambit and sail away from the galaxy with a fleet made of planets. :allears:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

my dad posted:

It would be hilarious to see the Hiigarans pull a Pierson's Puppeteers gambit and sail away from the galaxy with a fleet made of planets. :allears:

Why not sail away with the galaxy?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4NlX_MOe6I&t=1m20s

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Son, we're talking Hiigarans here; the planet doesn't move itself, it GETS moved by however many salvage corvettes it takes to capture a planet. Even the Junkyard Dog knew, instinctively, that getting too close to a Hiigaran mothership can only end with a new paint job...

That was the Emperors mistake. He got too close to the Mothership, and so they stole his planet.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
So what did the advanced drives research give you? Anything new, or just faster ships?

Also, an LP guy named Arumba is doing HW:Remastered videos if people want to see what it's like. He's okay, though he tends to not pay close attention to what the game's telling him he needs to do sometimes so be prepared to see non-optimal play. At least he's not a facecamming shrieking hysteric like so many "professional" YT LPers, so there's that.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

thetruegentleman posted:

Son, we're talking Hiigarans here; the planet doesn't move itself, it GETS moved by however many salvage corvettes it takes to capture a planet. Even the Junkyard Dog knew, instinctively, that getting too close to a Hiigaran mothership can only end with a new paint job...

That was the Emperors mistake. He got too close to the Mothership, and so they stole his planet.

I'm pretty sure that for frigate sized ships and up the salcors hack into and take control of the vessel to force it to move to the mothership under its own power. A capped frigate and destroyer from the same location, the frig will always arrive first at the bananaship.

Still, the mental image of Hiigara bristling with salvage corvettes as its dragged across the galaxy is too funny to pass up.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Neophyte posted:

Also, an LP guy named Arumba is doing HW:Remastered videos if people want to see what it's like. He's okay, though he tends to not pay close attention to what the game's telling him he needs to do sometimes so be prepared to see non-optimal play. At least he's not a facecamming shrieking hysteric like so many "professional" YT LPers, so there's that.

Isn't that the CK2 and EUIV LP guy?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Neophyte posted:

So what did the advanced drives research give you? Anything new, or just faster ships?

Just faster ships. It comes too late to really make much of a difference, but in MP, can arrive much sooner.

It doesn't help any that there's no research available announcement.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
As a side note, I can't help but notice that the Somtaaw called the Clee-san "the first ship infected by the Beast Mothership", handily leaving out exactly WHO owned the ship, and what it was doing...and after this mission, all the evidence that could indict the Somtaaw has, conveniently, been destroyed. And the Somtaaw come out looking like heroes to boot!

I guess the Somtaaw have kind of earned the praise by this point, but they are definitely putting their Kiith first, even at this point. Their heroes, no question, but they definitely aren't being honest with the rest of the galaxy...kind of a nice reminder that politics started all of this, and still drives the conflict even as it comes to an end.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

EponymousMrYar posted:

The Siege Cannon fires too slow to finish it off, though it does great at clearing out all the chaff that spawns in. I think there was supposed to be some quirk with the Beast Mothership here. Namely that it goes to ram the Kuun-Lan forcing you to use conventional weaponry on it.

That might be next mission though.

The Kuun-lan can survive premature siege cannon detonation, so that wouldn't necessarily be game-ending. There's a couple different ways that can happen - most commonly a ship flying in front of the cannon's barrel at exactly the right wrong moment - and while it does instantly blow off all your modules it won't kill the ship.

e: vvvv yes, like I said... ;)

President Ark fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 13, 2015

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

President Ark posted:

The Kuun-lan can survive premature siege cannon detonation, so that wouldn't necessarily be game-ending. There's a couple different ways that can happen - most commonly a ship flying in front of the cannon's barrel at exactly the right wrong moment - and while it does instantly blow off all your modules it won't kill the ship.

But you can kiss all your support and research modules goodbye if the siege cannon shot explodes too closed to the Kuun-lan.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

President Ark posted:

That's not the issue. The issue is that conventional weaponry is the only way to kill it fast enough before the spoiler I put in there kills you.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

So if the opponent has no detection what is stopping you from camping a mimic or anything stealthed really in front of the cannon in multiplayer?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Stop spoiling all my secret multiplayer tactics!
Edit: Nothing beyond the player paying attention.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 13, 2015

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

thetruegentleman posted:

As a side note, I can't help but notice that the Somtaaw called the Clee-san "the first ship infected by the Beast Mothership", handily leaving out exactly WHO owned the ship, and what it was doing...and after this mission, all the evidence that could indict the Somtaaw has, conveniently, been destroyed. And the Somtaaw come out looking like heroes to boot!

I guess the Somtaaw have kind of earned the praise by this point, but they are definitely putting their Kiith first, even at this point. Their heroes, no question, but they definitely aren't being honest with the rest of the galaxy...kind of a nice reminder that politics started all of this, and still drives the conflict even as it comes to an end.

Uh, the Clee-san was created by the Mothership after a hugely public political battle to gain access to build ships from it. There's no way the other Hiigarans wouldn't know who's ship it was.

Besides, it's not the Somtaaw's fault even if they were the first infected-- the Turanic Raiders were about to get it for themselves if the Somtaaw hadn't, and the infection would have spread regardless. Despite that, the Somtaaw have made it their responsibility for taking out the Beast, even if it means their own destruction. I don't know how you can construe that as putting themselves first? I mean, the Somtaaw are literally going after the Biggest Bad part of the Beast fleet single-handedly, knowing that if they fail they'll be the first to be wiped out. They know they haven't been equipped for the fight they're taking on; they've been calling themselves a mere mining Kiith this whole time. They threw themselves in front of Bentusi ion cannons so they could have a chance at winning. They aren't putting themselves first like the Bentusi. They understand that if the Beast aren't eradicated, everything else is forfeit.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Xoidanor posted:

So if the opponent has no detection what is stopping you from camping a mimic or anything stealthed really in front of the cannon in multiplayer?

Nothing, really, but if someone's gotten that late in the game and doesn't have detection near their mothership they're asking to be dicked over - if not that, then by being jumped by a shitload of ion array frigates/having leeches eat them.

Speaking of leeches, I'm pretty sure even they will block the shot...

President Ark fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 13, 2015

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Xoidanor posted:

Nothing, though it's worth pointing out that mimics aren't really "stealthed" and your average player is going to wonder where this asteroid came from/why they can't give that fighter orders and figure it out really quickly. Leeches, on the other hand, can block the shot and even a reasonably attentive player might not see them (though they should have a sensor net up around their mothership).

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
It really is a weird disconnect at this point that the Beast is demonstrated to be this hideously effective subverting influence, and at the barest minimum a week's gone past in-universe (it should really be weeks, but I guess maybe everyone's just been running on pure caffeine for a while now), yet it's somehow never made the jump to an inhabited planet (e.g. Hiigara, as mentioned before). I could see how it might not be too fussed about a planet from a tactical perspective, since planet-based life doesn't give it the ships it needs to move around, but it's not like it would take it much effort to send an infected colony ship or something to bombard a planet or two with Beast missiles.

Ludonarrative dissonance, certainly, but it does help explain why Homeworld 2 apparently glosses over the whole thing.

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

there can be no peace until everyone is safe
Every time one of those ships gets infected I feel bad for them. I think I'd have genuine trouble playing this, instead of just watching.

Definitely looking forward to the final mission though!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

WFGuy posted:

It really is a weird disconnect at this point that the Beast is demonstrated to be this hideously effective subverting influence, and at the barest minimum a week's gone past in-universe (it should really be weeks, but I guess maybe everyone's just been running on pure caffeine for a while now), yet it's somehow never made the jump to an inhabited planet (e.g. Hiigara, as mentioned before). I could see how it might not be too fussed about a planet from a tactical perspective, since planet-based life doesn't give it the ships it needs to move around, but it's not like it would take it much effort to send an infected colony ship or something to bombard a planet or two with Beast missiles.

Ludonarrative dissonance, certainly, but it does help explain why Homeworld 2 apparently glosses over the whole thing.

Maybe none of its ships are made for atmospheric re-entry? Alternatively - what does it have to gain by infecting a planet? It takes a tonne of energy to get into orbit, once you're there there is no reason to go back to the surface unless to gather/unload people or cargo.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

WFGuy posted:

Well, maybe the Beast is less effective at spreading in an atmosphere or within a gravity field. Plus, the Beast doesn't just need mechanical resources to infect something, it also needs biological resources, so it can't just scoop up any planet. Also, presumably, populated planets are protected by very hefty fleets for this exact reason(I mean, even in Homeworld 1, Kharak, a poo poo-tier planet, tech-wise, was able to nuke the majority of a Taiidani fleet with its planet-based batteries.), so the Beast isn't assaulting them directly yet, instead building up its forces until it can take one without risk.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!

President Ark posted:

The Kuun-lan can survive premature siege cannon detonation...

Guess how I ended the next mission? Without spoiling things, it was a hell of a finish.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Eponymous posted:

Guess how I ended the next mission? Without spoiling things, it was a hell of a finish.

"drat the torpedoes, full speed ahead?"

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

propatriamori posted:

Every time one of those ships gets infected I feel bad for them. I think I'd have genuine trouble playing this, instead of just watching.

Definitely looking forward to the final mission though!

Hearing the screams makes you get real good at self-destruct micro.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

It's s or control-s.

The real trick, and the reason his worker didn't self destruct, is you have to hit it TWICE to scuttle a ship.
To prevent accidents.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

double nine posted:

Maybe none of its ships are made for atmospheric re-entry? Alternatively - what does it have to gain by infecting a planet? It takes a tonne of energy to get into orbit, once you're there there is no reason to go back to the surface unless to gather/unload people or cargo.

Getting your actual flesh burned off during planetary entry might be a deterrent.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Broken Box posted:

Uh, the Clee-san was created by the Mothership after a hugely public political battle to gain access to build ships from it. There's no way the other Hiigarans wouldn't know who's ship it was.

Besides, it's not the Somtaaw's fault even if they were the first infected-- the Turanic Raiders were about to get it for themselves if the Somtaaw hadn't, and the infection would have spread regardless. Despite that, the Somtaaw have made it their responsibility for taking out the Beast, even if it means their own destruction. I don't know how you can construe that as putting themselves first? I mean, the Somtaaw are literally going after the Biggest Bad part of the Beast fleet single-handedly, knowing that if they fail they'll be the first to be wiped out. They know they haven't been equipped for the fight they're taking on; they've been calling themselves a mere mining Kiith this whole time. They threw themselves in front of Bentusi ion cannons so they could have a chance at winning. They aren't putting themselves first like the Bentusi. They understand that if the Beast aren't eradicated, everything else is forfeit.

Not quite: first, the other Hiigarans knew didn't seem to know jack about the Clee-San, evidenced by the fact that they had to look it up on the internet when the Khun-Lan asked about it; even then, all they got was that it was a frigate sized vessel with sensors strong enough to damage Hiigaran defenses. Second, Tactical said the Clee-San was "a former Somtaaw vessel", which seems oddly ambiguous when the Somtaaw usually call a ship "Infected": for all the other Kiith know, the science vessel was a geological survey ship that was stolen by Imperialists, who then went on to be infected (like what would have happened if the Khun-Lan hadn't intervened), and the Somtaaw seem to be using that possibility to obfuscate the truth. Considering that the Somtaaw have yet to be blamed by ANYONE for what's happened, it's a safe bet to assume the truth has been covered up; especially since the Somtaaw never mentioned to others where the Beast Mothership actually came from. Of course, the Somtaaw got lucky that the Beast Mothership looks so different from when it started: the other powers would need time to pick through the wreckage to learn the ship's original form and owners.

As such, the Somtaaw have realistically no other choice than to fight the Beast: they're heroes for being brave enough to fight, but their choices were terribly limited: if someone else managed to destroy the Clee-San or Beast Mothership, the truth about how the Beast came about may have been discovered; as that truth amounts to the Somtaaw preforming a science experiment on an alien artifact (without the proper facilities, by their own admission) in the hopes of getting a leg-up on the other Kiith, you would have to be terribly naive to believe the Somtaaw would escape (or even survive) their subsequent punishment. No, they needed to cover up the truth, and that meant fighting the worst of the Beast; now that they've succeeded, they need to finish the job before the Beast comes back for revenge.

As for what the rest of the galaxy probably believes happened, the Imperialists have likely been given the blame for everything: as the Imperialists were the first to confuse the Beast for a bio-weapon, and then cut a deal with it in order to rule half the galaxy once they learned the truth, the Somtaaw probably appear to be the first (terribly unlucky) victims of a nefarious Imperialist plot, as opposed to the truth. Lord knows the Bentusi would be pissed if they learned the truth...

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I think I might have missed something early in the LP. Why does the mimic have a "link" function? What's it do?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Bigger explosion.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Make a bigger mimic that mimics bigger ships and makes a bigger bang. It's generally not worth it since using mimics on the offense is a pretty stupid idea.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Dancer posted:

I think I might have missed something early in the LP. Why does the mimic have a "link" function? What's it do?

Iretep posted:

Bigger explosion.

The Mimic, like the Acolyte, can 'Link' to form a Corvette-Class ship. The Mimic Combined Vehicle (or MCV) can simulate a ship up to Frigate in size. Also, the suicide charge, as mentioned, is a little over 200% that of the Mimic by itself.

In theory, you can take an MCV, pretend it's an asteroid and detonate it against a Worker/Harvester that comes looking for more RU's, taking it out.

anilEhilated posted:

since using mimics on the offense is a pretty stupid idea.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAhAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Wait until Friday.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

berryjon posted:

In theory, you can take an MCV, pretend it's an asteroid and detonate it against a Worker/Harvester that comes looking for more RU's, taking it out.

Wait until Friday.

How much damage does the "quantum explosive charge" actually do? I've never actually found any numbers that describe the amount of damage actually dealt, only that they'll "gut a frigate" according to the manual; that's really vague for something that is actually rather difficult to use in large numbers during a multiplayer game, so I never bothered much with them as an offensive tool.

Besides, building a fake squad of Ramming Frigates was always more fun; great way to cause people to waste an EMP as well, which could otherwise stun-lock a fleet in wall formation.

Pingcode
Feb 25, 2011
Put it this way: There's a very good reason why the campaign doesn't let you get your hands on quantum explosives until after you finish all the missions where you're supposed to avoid the enemy supercapitals. And it's not just because Intel decided 'Our engineers think they can adapt the Beast kamikaze missile to our strike craft, recommend we research kamikaze mimics immediately'.

Our death your liiiiiiiiiiiife :unsmigghh:

EDIT: Fun facts: The mimic is also immune to infection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

berryjon posted:

The Mimic, like the Acolyte, can 'Link' to form a Corvette-Class ship. The Mimic Combined Vehicle (or MCV) can simulate a ship up to Frigate in size. Also, the suicide charge, as mentioned, is a little over 200% that of the Mimic by itself.

Wait until Friday.

... I get the feeling I'm going to respect you even more come Friday.

• Locked thread