Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
The first non-pack in game we got as kids was Adventure Island for the NES quickly followed by Ice Hockey.

raven4267 posted:

I had an atari 2600 when I was real young but that was more my parents system and I don't remember to much about it. The first games I got with my NES was Castlevania 1, Rescue: The Embassy Mission, and Infiltrator. Infiltrator was complete garbage, but I still played the hell out of it. The other 2 were amazing, especially Rescue. The sniping in that game was fun as hell. I remember drawing out medals and then cutting them out of paper. I would award them to myself when I would do stuff in the game like rescue a certain amount of hostages like some sort of rudimentary achievement system.

Rescue was one of our first non-rented games too! Kemco was the poo poo (the brand and the character in the game). I love the music in that game so much. And since I'm top of the page now, gotta have a Rescue pic:

I had 2 brothers and 2 parents that played the games too so we all officially shared them. The first game that was MINE as in I got it for my birthday was the Star Trek TNG NES game. I probably bought Mega Man 2 from our video store around that time but not 100% sure.

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

The first game I owned, i.e. that was actually mine and not my parents', was Super R-Type. It's probably why I've always loved shmups and especially the R-Type series. Also Super R-Type has a loving amazing soundtrack that does not get anywhere near enough credit for being so goddamn excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbudD_Rlfic

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Pudding Huxtable posted:

No love for the Fantasy Zones? :colbert:

FZ2 was the first game I personally owned (not counting the SMS pack ins) as a birthday gift.

Hey there's a subject, what were your first games personally owned (excluding pack ins), gifted or bought?

starcraft

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Pudding Huxtable posted:

Hey there's a subject, what were your first games personally owned (excluding pack ins), gifted or bought?

My cousin, who probably stole them, dumped a box of about 30 NES games on me when I was 5. I don't remember anything other than Friday the 13th and Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt, though.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I don't know how I remember this because I was like 5 or 6, but I can recall getting the Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt/World Class Track Meet pack-in version of the NES, then my parents asking me if I was ever even going to play World Class Track Meet. At some point I rented Bubble Bobble and liked it, so I said it'd be fine if they took the more expensive pack-in version of the NES back to Wal-Mart and just got me the core system with Bubble Bobble for Christmas. At least I think that's what happened, I just remember owning the three-game cartridge and Power Pad at some point, and then sometime later getting a different NES and Bubble Bobble.

So long story short, Bubble Bobble was the first non-pack-in game I've owned for any system.

VV Yeah, I can't remember what enticed me to just randomly try that game out but I'm glad I did. It was one of the few games (Dr. Mario being another) that my parents would actually play.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 13, 2015

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

King Vidiot posted:

So long story short, Bubble Bobble was the first non-pack-in game I've owned for any system.

Let me just say that Bubble Bobble is one of my favorite games of all time. It's got great music, great to play by yourself or with a friend/family member, and it's incredibly timeless. Even the Game Gear version is fun as poo poo.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
Who here has had luck painting your consoles?
It's starting to get warmer up here and hopefully it'll be warm enough to paint by the time my AGS-101 to AGB-001 screen cable arrives.

I'm just a bit nervous as I only have the 2 shells and I especially don't want to screw up the new one because I'm cheap and don't want to spend another $20.

I don't have the space to hang them by a wire like many places have suggested but would making a stand and taping or gluing all the parts to it be sufficient?
Pretty much all the guides I've read have had the painting done indoors which isn't feasible, are there going to be any potential issues doing it outside?
What if I miss covering a spot and paint leaks onto the front of the case where I don't want it?

In more positive things though I got my GBA Movie Player working, apparently all that was wrong was a low battery in the gameboy and a poorly formatted compactflash card.
PocketNES works pretty good :D

Asbrandt
Feb 16, 2011

Kazvall posted:

E: All my 2.0 or 2.3s have the KA2195D which pisses me off.

Late (work and such) but that encoder is a non-issue for me since I plan to gut the encoder in favor of a THS7314 anyway, if you want to sell me one.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

All Frogs posted:

I totally didn't know that, but that's good to know for future reference.

This is true, but the rubber casing of the AC adapter plug is a bit too large to fit through the plastic shell of the Master System, so I had to pop off the case of mine to use the (model 1602) Genesis adapter. Just keep that in mind if you intend to share AC adapters.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Asbrandt posted:

Late (work and such) but that encoder is a non-issue for me since I plan to gut the encoder in favor of a THS7314 anyway, if you want to sell me one.

Sadly two of my 3/4 mobo model 2's with the KA are up on ebay. I'll look to see if I have any more. I try to cycle out the stuff I can't mod. If I had an extra CXA or THS I'd probably slap it in.

Asbrandt
Feb 16, 2011

Kazvall posted:

Sadly two of my 3/4 mobo model 2's with the KA are up on ebay. I'll look to see if I have any more. I try to cycle out the stuff I can't mod. If I had an extra CXA or THS I'd probably slap it in.

I mean the 2.0 / 2.3's not the 3 / 4s

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Tyson Tomko posted:

The first non-pack in game we got as kids was Adventure Island for the NES quickly followed by Ice Hockey.

Rescue was one of our first non-rented games too! Kemco was the poo poo (the brand and the character in the game). I love the music in that game so much. And since I'm top of the page now, gotta have a Rescue pic:

I had 2 brothers and 2 parents that played the games too so we all officially shared them. The first game that was MINE as in I got it for my birthday was the Star Trek TNG NES game. I probably bought Mega Man 2 from our video store around that time but not 100% sure.

Just want to piggyback on this post to say that Rescue:TEB owns and is sadly underrated. I think that's just the fate of most (all?) NES simulation games. It's not a system that really cries out for realism or typically handles it all that well, but I think they did a good job here.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
I've told this story a few times, but I'll tell it again.

When we were kids we didn't have a ton of NES games at first. We had Mario/Duckhunt, Adventure Island, Mario 3, Tetris, Mega Man 2, Base Wars and a few others. When our neighbors "broke" their NES (never ever got any detail on this whatsoever to this day) their parents showed up at our front door with a wooden CRATE full of random games.

Virtually every game in the crate we had never heard of before and our local video stores didn't carry any of them. Because of this crate I was able to enjoy games as a kid I would likeley have never played until adulthood. Games such as:

- River City Ransom
- Robocop (lol but fun still)
- Bubble Bobble
- Rescue
- Adventure Island 2
- Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers
- Ducktales
- Blaster Master

It goes without saying these kids (or their parents) had extremely good taste. Don't feel sorry for them, they were the only kids in our neighborhood that had Sega anything, and they had it all. They were the go to house for Genesis/Saturn/32x games and knowing absolutely nothing about them as a kid it was always fun as poo poo.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

PS. Love the cabin posted:

It's starting to get warmer up here and hopefully it'll be warm enough to paint by the time my AGS-101 to AGB-001 screen cable arrives.

I'm just a bit nervous as I only have the 2 shells and I especially don't want to screw up the new one because I'm cheap and don't want to spend another $20.

I don't have the space to hang them by a wire like many places have suggested but would making a stand and taping or gluing all the parts to it be sufficient?
Pretty much all the guides I've read have had the painting done indoors which isn't feasible, are there going to be any potential issues doing it outside?
What if I miss covering a spot and paint leaks onto the front of the case where I don't want it?

No issues doing it outside; the only thing I could think of is a leaf or some other debris landing on it while it dries.

The best advice I can give is use spray paint; preferably Krylon in their "paint for plastics" series; and spray in a "sweeping" motion rather than spraying directly. It may take a few coats but it should turn out OK in the end.

raven4267
May 7, 2009

Tyson Tomko posted:

I agree, the music in Rescue is so awesome. The music in the first part when you were getting your snipers in place was the best. I think I remember it fading in and out when you went into and out of hiding. It made that game so intense for my younger self.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

PS. Love the cabin posted:

Start by practicing. Paint an old radio or toaster or some other plastic crap you have lying around. Get a feel for how spray paint works and how it can go wrong. Here's some tips:
  • Clean the plastic with good soap and water, then let it dry completely. Overnight even. All dirt and grime is bad for painting, but oils are the worst, the paint will just bead up.
  • Use blue painters tape and a razor blade to cover up anything you don't want painted.
  • Shake the can for as long as it tells you to. Don't give it a couple quick rattles and then stop.
  • If it tells you to shake every few minutes/sprays while painting, do so. Don't be lazy.
  • When you spray, do it in a wide pass over the object you are painting. Don't stop. One smooth motion.
  • The nozzle should be aimed several inches to the left of the object when you start pressing the button down, and aimed several inches to the right of the object when you let up on it. ie: don't have the nozzle aimed at the object when you start or finish the spray.
  • There will be a lot of over spray, so make sure you're doing it somewhere appropriate.
  • Take note of any winds, you don't want a fine mist of spray paint coming back in your face.
  • Do one light coat. You should still be able to see the original plastic color just about everywhere.
  • Do a second light coat. The original color should be harder to see now, maybe just in a few spots.
  • Do a third light coat. Now it should be all the new color.
  • If needed, do a final touch up coat, in case there are any spots that didn't quite get enough paint.
  • Wait however long the can tells you to between coats. Don't rush it.
  • The can will say how long it takes for the paint to set. It will look and even feel dry before that point, but the paint will still be soft and you could easily leave a fingerprint or make a big smear.
  • Don't remove the blue tape until at least the time on the can has passed. You can also do a second pass with the razor blade around the edges of it. If the paint sticks to the tape and is still soft, you can wind up peeling the paint right off the plastic.

My final recommendations would be to wear glasses, a particle mask, and latex gloves.

xamphear fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 13, 2015

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

al-azad posted:

Jesus it's been so long since I've played SMB3 that I completely forgot the NES version had no audio during the title sequence. What a weird oversight?

Bear in mind no mario game at that point had had title screen music in Japan, maybe they saw it as a tradition.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Asbrandt posted:

I mean the 2.0 / 2.3's not the 3 / 4s

3/4 meaning motherboard size, not revision number, sorry.

Asbrandt
Feb 16, 2011

Kazvall posted:

3/4 meaning motherboard size, not revision number, sorry.

2.0/2.3 are full-size boards, the 3/4 board size is called that because its just the 3 and 4 revisions, its actual size is more like 2/3

E: Post ebay links for the 2.0/2.3s, if you're not looking for retro-bubble prices I'll probably grab one.

Asbrandt fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 13, 2015

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

raven4267 posted:

I agree, the music in Rescue is so awesome. The music in the first part when you were getting your snipers in place was the best. I think I remember it fading in and out when you went into and out of hiding. It made that game so intense for my younger self.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAJN_Xh8kTg

:hellyeah:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I think my first non pack-in game was Puggsy, which I got at the same time my younger brother got Zool. Hey whaddya know, two games that were better on SMD than Amiga.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

My first system was an Atari 800, and while we had a bunch of games already, the first game I ever specifically owned is Gyruss for the 800, as it was given as a Christmas gift when I was 3.

That said, my first pack-in games were Gyromite and Duck Hunt. :colbert:

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

The Kins posted:

So. Recently, Bizhawk got a good quality PS1 emulator core that doesn't upscale graphics (so everything's PS1 native res), and a friend of mine had a lot of success playing SOTN for the first time through it. It's gotten me nostalgic for 32-bit 2D stuff, so I'm looking for recommendations in regards to good 2D (especially sprite-based) PS1 games. I'm not picky about genre.

PS1 has a surprisingly good shmup library:

- DonPachi/DoDonPachi (better ports than the Saturn versions)
- All the Konami deluxe packs (Gradius, Salamander, Parodius, Twinbee)
- Gradius Gaiden
- Einhander (2.5D)
- Raiden Project/Raiden DX
- R-Types
- R-Type Delta (2.5D)
- Raystorm (2.5D)
- Night Raid (2.5D)
- XII Stag/Psyvariar/Shikigami No Shiro (same arcade hardware as Night Raid [Taito G-Net], but I'm not sure if they got PS1 ports)
- Sonic Wings Special (better than the Saturn port)
- Strikers 1945 II (identical to Saturn port, US version drops the "II" in the name and tate mode)
- G Darius (2.5D)
- Capcom Generations 1 (1942, 1943, '43Kai)
- Toaplan Shooting Battle 1 (Tiger Heli, Kyukyoku Tiger, Twin Cobra)

Not-shmups:
- Final Fantasy Tactics
- Castlevania Chronicles
- Puzzle Bobble/Bust-A-Move 4
- Alundra
- Street Fighter Alpha 3 (DC and Saturn ports are better, but this is still good)
- Mega Man X4-X6
- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain
- Oddworld series
- Umihara Kawase Shun
- Strider 2 (2.5D, pack includes arcade-perfect Strider 1 port)
- Mortal Kombat Trilogy
- The Lunar remakes
- Capcom Generations 2 (Ghosts 'n Goblins, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Super GnG)
- Guilty Gear
- Legend of Mana
- NBA Jam: TE
- Star Ocean 2 (battles are 2.5D)
- Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo (DC port is better, but still good)
- Tales of Destiny
- Tales of Eternia (US version called Tales of Destiny II)

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 13, 2015

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Does anyone know anything about non-nintendo Japanese LCD handheld games? I found one of these loose at an estate sale. Sort of looked like a Game & Watch to me so I picked it up not expecting it to be worth anything or really even work. Still have to get some watch batteries to test it out.

Pics:

SnatchRabbit fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 13, 2015

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Asbrandt posted:

2.0/2.3 are full-size boards, the 3/4 board size is called that because its just the 3 and 4 revisions, its actual size is more like 2/3

E: Post ebay links for the 2.0/2.3s, if you're not looking for retro-bubble prices I'll probably grab one.

Ah, right. The auctions are for system/cord/game bundles. When I get my next lot of broken/untested consoles I will give you first dibs on 2.0 and 2.3 revisions if you like. Otherwise, after checking, I just have a VA3 and a lovely VA1. Obviously I got confused. If the ones I have are 2.0 or 2.3 they are full sized motherboard. I'd be happy to double check and pm you if you want.

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 13, 2015

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

SnatchRabbit posted:

Does anyone know anything about non-nintendo Japanese LCD handheld games? I found one of these loose at an estate sale. Sort of looked like a Game & Watch to me so I picked it up not expecting it to be worth anything or really even work. Still have to get some watch batteries to test it out.

I don't know a lot about them, but I can tell you that LCD games like those and the Game & Watch were extremely common in the 80's. You are probably correct that the one you have is loosely based on a Game & Watch rather than other designs. Morioka Tokei seems to have had a pretty extensive line of them and to my eyes they all look like they borrowed the form factor from Nintendo's products.

FWIW, your particular one seems to be one of the more obscure ones in the line. I found a site detailing their products and it wasn't even listed. I did find a few ebay auctions that seem to have been completed with about $20 to $30 for working units. The case design indicates that it was manufactured in 1982 and there were multiple names used for some of the games, so that may be the case here.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 13, 2015

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
So two games in my Snes collection are not making my system happy (and I think possibly triggering some sort of copy protection?)

Earlier this year I decided I would try to play through and get a legit copy of every Kirby game. Whenever I tried playing Dreamland 3 it had a lot of obviously incorrect behavior such as not being able to inhale the generic star blocks, and using powers on the blocks that they're destroyed by doing nothing. At around 1-4 or some early level halfway through you'd play some minigame identifying Gordos, and pass or fail, the door to exit would never spawn, effectively ending the game. When I got the cart it had saves several worlds in which I erased. I eventually gave up and just played the virtual console version on the Wii U.

Just now I decided to play my Japanese cart of Kirby's Dream Course. In this case, the sprites for the enemies to hit seem off center, as in you can go straight through them, but I've hit them with curved shots that seem way off actually coming in contact with this. When the hole appears, it is impossible to land in it, Kirby will just roll right over or outright stop on top of it. The thing with this is that when I first got the game, I played it for a little bit to confirm it still saved and that I had properly gotten rid of the plastic tabs to play a Japanese game on an American console, it was working before with this same console and setup.

My best guess might be the power cable? It's one of those cheap combination nes/snes ones, though I also tried another 3rd party snes plug as well.

Maybe I just need to can air the hell out of the cartrige slot itself. Any other ideas?

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

Random Stranger posted:

I don't know a lot about them, but I can tell you that LCD games like those and the Game & Watch were extremely common in the 80's. You are probably correct that the one you have is loosely based on a Game & Watch rather than other designs. Morioka Tokei seems to have had a pretty extensive line of them and to my eyes they all look like they borrowed the form factor from Nintendo's products.

FWIW, your particular one seems to be one of the more obscure ones in the line. I found a site detailing their products and it wasn't even listed. I did find a few ebay auctions that seem to have been completed with about $20 to $30 for working units. The case design indicates that it was manufactured in 1982 and there were multiple names used for some of the games, so that may be the case here.

Awesome thanks!

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
It finally happened. My PS3 randomly shut down and started blinking red. Everything I read online are for "temporary fixes" meaning replace the thermal paste and hope for the best.

Are there any mods I can make to this thing to maybe increase the efficiency of the fans and/or quiet it down? If I need to open it up anyway, I might as well go all out.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Mogomra posted:

It finally happened. My PS3 randomly shut down and started blinking red. Everything I read online are for "temporary fixes" meaning replace the thermal paste and hope for the best.

Are there any mods I can make to this thing to maybe increase the efficiency of the fans and/or quiet it down? If I need to open it up anyway, I might as well go all out.

Might want to post in the PS3 thread, don't think it's quite retro yet. :D

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I got my SMS and Golden Axe Warrior. It's time to game. Game cost me a little more than the system.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Kazvall posted:

I got my SMS and Golden Axe Warrior. It's time to game. Game cost me a little more than the system.

If it only cost you a little more than the system you either got a great deal on the game or were ripped off for the console. :v:

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Medullah posted:

Might want to post in the PS3 thread, don't think it's quite retro yet. :D

It's totally retro! It's last gen, dude. :eng99:

I'll try there, Thanks

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Quiet Feet posted:

If it only cost you a little more than the system you either got a great deal on the game or were ripped off for the console. :v:

50 for system, 70 for the cart.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
What do Master Systems even go for now? I found mine for :10bux: about 6 months ago.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Kazvall posted:

50 for system, 70 for the cart.

That's a good deal.

mikeycp posted:

What do Master Systems even go for now? I found mine for :10bux: about 6 months ago.

Man, I would love to fix up and sell more Master Systems but it seems like all of the parts/repair systems I see on Ebay are being sold at roughly the same you'd see for a functioning console. And most of the working ones are bundled with other stuff so it's kinda hard to gauge. I'd guess that they shouldn't be any more than a similarly equipped NES. Seems like the relative rarity is balanced out by the lack of frothing nostalgia. I got my first one at a tag sale years ago. It broke. And I broke it further in my first attempt to repair it. :( Replacement console I bought a year or two ago cost ~$30 IIRC just for the console.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Quiet Feet posted:

That's a good deal.

Man, I would love to fix up and sell more Master Systems but it seems like all of the parts/repair systems I see on Ebay are being sold at roughly the same you'd see for a functioning console. And most of the working ones are bundled with other stuff so it's kinda hard to gauge. I'd guess that they shouldn't be any more than a similarly equipped NES. Seems like the relative rarity is balanced out by the lack of frothing nostalgia. I got my first one at a tag sale years ago. It broke. And I broke it further in my first attempt to repair it. :( Replacement console I bought a year or two ago cost ~$30 IIRC just for the console.

I wanted to buy a broken system and ran into the same problem. I also almost just got a jap system and a SMS to mark3 converter. But I was at this store anyways showing the owner my nodded genesis that he said he would sell on consignment so its win/win. He actually said if I didn't buy Golden Axe Warrior that he would mark it to 100. Heh.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Every Sega Master System collector must own this just for the absurdity of a Master System game that came out in 1995.

Beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmDMwOBhdaM

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
Speaking of all the SMS talk, the SMS 3D glasses own so much.

Anyway on to the reason I'm posting. My gaming is spread out across 3 TVs in 3 different rooms. 2 of those are decent sized Panasonic plasmas and the other is a cute little 13" Trinitron I have in my office/computer room/gaming room/study/bachelor pad/you know the drill. The Trinitron has been great to me over the years but I've been meaning to upgrade it to something bigger simply so I can enjoy the 3D glasses and light gun games that much more. Well it finally happened.

Someone at work was giving away "2 tube tvs, not sure what to call them" so immediately I hit her up. There was no information at all except for the fact that she hadn't used them for a year. Anyway I went over there tonight to check them out, and apparently she took my interest as me saying I was definitely picking them up. I'm a nice guy and don't mind unloading them myself it they weren't what I wanted, so I didn't mind (too much) her literally shoving them in my truck as I pulled into her driveway.

I got home just now and got my first look at them LOL. It's raining outside and I had them covered (on top of the nice smelling lavendar trash bags she taped on) but to be sure I'm letting them air out overnight before trying them out. One is a Sanyo and the other is a low 25"ish RCA. The RCA is still out in my truck because it was significantly older (yes she gave me both of them when I just wanted one) but this Sanyo looks and has the weight of a very modern CRT. Alright I'm rambling I'll get down to business:

This Sanyo kicks rear end. This sucker has S-video and component! My Trinitron had component but no s-video so this is going to switch things up quite a bit AND gives me the unfortunate yet baller project of now getting S-video out of all the consoles that can support it since one of my plasmas also has s-video. It's nuts that this tv is younger than my PS2!

Also drat that SMS Mortal Kombat looks way better than I would have ever guessed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Sega's Australian distributor (Ozisoft) was still selling MD and even Master System games at retail well into the '90s - they stopped officially licensing/printing new games in '96 but they kept selling them until the launch of the Dreamcast, pretty much.

One of the reasons they had such a big marketshare at the time was they weren't afraid to do budget re-releases or bundles or simply release at a lower pricepoint to Nintendo's stuff, so even the casual SMS owners tended to own quite a few games. They also cheaped out on a lot of their later re-releases by dumping them in VHS cases or using weird grey recycled plastic, and most of their manuals were cheap blue-on-white jobs.

Here's a shot of some "silver" reissues:

...and here's one of the random double-packs they'd dump on the shelves every so often:

Those shots are Master System games, obviously, but they did the same thing for MD games. The double-packs rarely made much sense, they'd just throw any ol' games together.

• Locked thread