Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

chunkles posted:

That MONSTER

Old school winners like Michael Jordan would never complain to the refs about getting fouled or appear in commercials.

That said, I think he's just relaying what former players tell him about Blake, not that they're necessarily right about him (or at least not that they're right that those things make him a bad player). He's always been really high on Blake and I'm pretty sure he's going to have him in the top 10 of his dumb trade value thing.

Also lets not act like that being intensely stupid about Blake Griffin is unqiue to Bill Simmons or old players. He gets wildly underrated in a lot of places, including this forum for a long time, because people think he's irritating, or because he doesn't have Hakeem's post game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Bill Walton chat?! A few weeks ago he broke down the UCLA - Washington game in terms of an actual fight between bears and huskies, and gave us a loving history lesson on the history of grizzly bears in California:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBZsCXmNZgY

http://awfulannouncing.com/2015/bill-walton-breaks-ucla-washington-terms-real-fight-bears-huskies.html

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Being able to watch Bill Walton call late night Pac-12 games where he is free to just bullshit about whatever the hell he wants because his partner can't reign him in and ESPN assumes most of the country asleep is like a top 10 thing about living on the west coast.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

MourningView posted:

Being able to watch Bill Walton call late night Pac-12 games where he is free to just bullshit about whatever the hell he wants because his partner can't reign him in and ESPN assumes most of the country asleep is like a top 10 thing about living on the west coast.
I think it harms his overall ability to go on rants, but I love the fact that his partner gets exasperated and frustrated at some point during the broadcast no matter what and Bill never picks up on it (or if he does, react to it) and it's an escalation until the guy is basically doing the announcing equivalent of ripping his hair out screaming 'there's a game on'.

that's why he was at the peak of his talents with the Kings old man crew; none of them gave a poo poo.

e: the "WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT" in the bears v huskies one makes it

e2: also, since we all also love pete maravich lore:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk-JJX2SRHc

e3: :wtf:

http://www.clippit.tv/c/yryxb

e4: im convinced that this man is permanently high at the point

https://vine.co/v/OUWL0QLXAWx

straight up brolic fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 13, 2015

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Jusuf Nurkic is probable to both play and style all over the Warriors tonight, set your DVRs.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Lockback posted:

He'll be a max player, so around 16 mil. Atlanta could maybe afford him if the don't re-sign Millsap. So Maybe? Not sure he'd be a great fit though.

Spurs have about 40 million in cap space, but they don't have contracts for Duncan, Leonard, Parker, Ginobli or Danny Green. So basically their top 5 guys. Unless they start cutting guys or something the Spurs won't have space.

The Spurs will have space for a max if Duncan and Manu retire.

Danny Green is the guy that's going to gum up the works though. I think he's playing himself in to a giant contract.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Does anyone remember that Walton had a reality show on ESPN2 way back in the day? It was weird as gently caress.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Niwrad posted:

Does anyone remember that Walton had a reality show on ESPN2 way back in the day? It was weird as gently caress.
http://www.nba.com/walton/

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Remembering what the internet looked like in 2003 is incredibly trippy in and of itself.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

chunkles posted:

Remembering what the internet looked like in 2003 is incredibly trippy in and of itself.

I am very sad that I cannot actually watch video clips at 56k.

On the other hand I CAN still look at photos of Bill hanging out at various civil rights monuments wearing a tie-dyed t-shirt tucked into some Dad Khakis

e: oh man the photo gallery is seriously pro click, he also lets a clearly uncomfortable Q-Rich, Darius Miles, and Corey Maggette (RIP most likable bad team in NBA history) dress him up like every old white guy's vision of a rapper in 1997.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 13, 2015

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Niwrad posted:

He had a podcast called Walton's World. I've tried to find the back episodes but all the links I've found are dead.

No joke to this day when I get overwhelmed or stressed with my writing I listen to Bill Walton talk about anything (his appearance on the Simmons podcast back in the day is my favourite) and it calms me down.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

a shameful boehner posted:

Jusuf Nurkic is probable to both play and style all over the Warriors tonight, set your DVRs.
Dubs are resting the Splash Bros, Iggy & Bogut. That should be interesting to watch.

Looking forward to more McAdoo minutes, not so much looking forward to Brandon Rush probably making me sad again. For the season he's shooting 20% overall and 1/18 from deep, with most of those shots coming at the end of blowouts. He's looked completely useless whenever he gets regular rotation minutes. I was really looking forward to seeing him back on the Dubs this year too. :(

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

someone needs him and rosa parks as an av

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
What I have learned (well I guess I already knew this, but it is confirmed) is that Bill Walton will unironically wear a tie-dyed t-shirt literally anywhere, almost always tucked into some pleated khakis that he found on sale at JC Penny's. Unless he happens to be wearing it with dress slacks under a sport court.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
"Yesterday we celebrated Sir Isaac Newton's discovery of gravity, today, Fabricio Oberto is defying it"

-William Theodore Walton III

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
The games that Walton and Tolbert used to do together were always incredible.

Walton came to a Warriors game in January and they interviewed him a couple times. He spent most of it talking about Jim Barnett, it was amazing.

I wonder if the dude still smokes a ton of weed or he's just permanently high at this point.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Spite posted:

I wonder if the dude still smokes a ton of weed or he's just permanently high at this point.

He was going off about legalization during a recent broadcast, so he may still enjoy a toke or two.

Lockback posted:

How much cognitive dissonance is going on for you to say old-school guys didn't bitch at referees or miss free-throws?

This is why Rick Barry was so unpopular. According to accounts from refs in Tall Tales, he, Tommy Heinsohn and Oscar Robertson were the three biggest whiners of their era.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

If only he was more like Tim Duncan who never bitched out refs and always hit his FTs down the stretch.

People don't like Blake cause he comes across consistently as a punk-rear end bitch. He has a stupid looking face. He used too many props in the dunk contest. He's also pretty much a ginger. If he looked like a cooler guy and had a more agreeable face people wouldn't care so much. He also needs to fight someone.

Tons of players bitch and moan and people love them. Kyle Lowry and Chris Paul yell at the ref non stop and no one seems to think they're bitches

BWV fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 13, 2015

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
Everyone thinks Chris Paul is a bitch though :confused:

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Everyone thinks Chris Paul is a bitch though :confused:

I was talking about the general sentiment I get from hearing former players talk about guys like CP in this context.

Wasn't talking about us bball experts here in SAS who know who all the real bitches are (KG)

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Tons of people hate Tim Duncan for his stupid Duncan face too.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
DWade@DwyaneWade
Wait... didn't we just wake up from pregame naps?? headed to the game and I bet @easyst0 is dreaming about shots!!!

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Juaguocio posted:

He was going off about legalization during a recent broadcast, so he may still enjoy a toke or two.

This is why Rick Barry was so unpopular. According to accounts from refs in Tall Tales, he, Tommy Heinsohn and Oscar Robertson were the three biggest whiners of their era.

Rick Barry was the world's biggest dick on the court. He had negative empathy, his own teammates hated him.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Juaguocio posted:

Oscar Robertson surprises me. Tommy Heinsohn being an insufferable loving whiner during his playing days is the least surprising thing I've heard all year.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Oscar Robertson was famously a really angry and hard to deal with guy for reasons both understandable and not.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 13, 2015

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Crazy Ted posted:

Oscar Robertson surprises me. Tommy Heinsohn being an insufferable loving whiner during his playing days is the least surprising thing I've heard all year.

I think O was frustrated by a lot of things out of his control.

MourningView posted:

Oscar Robinson was famously a really angry and hard to deal with guy for reasons both understandable and not.

Yeah, him too.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I'd rather watch basketball on mute for the rest of my life than ever listen to Bill Walton speak again. You guys on the West Coast are welcome to keep him.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Mr. Mambold posted:

Yeah, him too.

haha whoops

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Kyrie Irving had a GmSc of 48.2 last night which is really high and at 22 he's the youngest to do that since Shaq.

Cavaliers offense is fine even if they are neglecting Love (#2 team ORtg at this point). Possible cloak and dagger, smoke and mirrors chicanery being saved for the playoffs?

They need Love to play like Ben Wallace/Dennis Rodman.

euphronius posted:

Pretty sure steals and blocks are not of equal value however. Maybe they are.

The basic value is a steal is worth 1 point and a block is worth .7

Terry Glenn posted:

Ramona Shelburne @ramonashelburne · 8h 8 hours ago
Byron Scott on how he deals with losing, "go home and beat up the dog...j/k..I don't even have a dog"

I think he's losing it.

The experiment to teach Robert Sacre the skyhook is failing.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Mr. Mambold posted:

It's a good thing Wilt Chamberlain wasn't a really angry guy during his playing days because one solid connect on a punch would have ended someone's career. If I remember correctly didn't he break at least one guy's arm just following through on a dunk?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

He dunked and broke Red Kerr's foot once.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Crazy Ted posted:

It's a good thing Wilt Chamberlain wasn't a really angry guy during his playing days because one solid connect on a punch would have ended someone's career. If I remember correctly didn't he break at least one guy's arm just following through on a dunk?

Coming out of college he was this tall, slender guy who was dominant at the game from sheer ability. Toward the middle and end of his career, he was built like a brick shithouse, he could push a whole team aside.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

MourningView posted:

What I have learned (well I guess I already knew this, but it is confirmed) is that Bill Walton will unironically wear a tie-dyed t-shirt literally anywhere, almost always tucked into some pleated khakis that he found on sale at JC Penny's. Unless he happens to be wearing it with dress slacks under a sport court.

I doubt that Bill Walton can get 38 waist/52 inseam khakis on sale at JC Penneys.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Bill Walton shouldn't be chained to the tyranny of store-bought pants. He should be wearing giant homemade patch pants that the kids really into Widespread Panic used to wear in high school.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Crazy Ted posted:

He blocked a Gus Johnson dunk by grabbing the ball and slamming Johnson to the floor, dislocating his shoulder.

I couldn't find a clip of that play, but there is one of Wilt shoving Johnson out of bounds with one arm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHYWXpHEvr4

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Juaguocio posted:

He blocked a Gus Johnson dunk by grabbing the ball and slamming Johnson to the floor, dislocating his shoulder.

I couldn't find a clip of that play, but there is one of Wilt shoving Johnson out of bounds with one arm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHYWXpHEvr4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H06Jwg6HXs

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
I will always remember Dickie
Simpkins going up and blowiing a dunk just for Walton's reaction.

"Kareem would've finished that. Dickie Simpkins will not walk along the greats. "

He sounded legitimately disappointed.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
goddammit

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

this graphic infuriates me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
It's like all six teams are daring the NBA to break the regional playoff format

• Locked thread