Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

don't know if anyone else noticed, but as a lifelong Kentuckian I was excited to see Mac sporting a "Big Bone Lick State Park" t-shirt

yes, it's a real thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
If we're complaining, I guess i feel like this series is getting too meta for me - there are too many specific references to moments and dynamics established in past seasons. instead of developing the gang forward.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I don't know, they've done some movement on making Dee and Charlie closer. They've made Dennis less in control and more overtly creepy to everyone. Really Mac is the one with the least traction.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
I hope Franquito becomes another reoccurring character.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Oh, is this the complaints thread now?

Well, I wish Charlie would be more consistently stupid. He's intelligent far too often.

Also, where the gently caress is the waitress?

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends

steinrokkan posted:

If we're complaining, I guess i feel like this series is getting too meta for me - there are too many specific references to moments and dynamics established in past seasons. instead of developing the gang forward.

I was actually gonna say this about this season until the last couple eps. They're referencing old jokes all the time lately without developing new ones, at least ones that feel like they could be recreated later like Ocular Patdown, the duster, the video camera always being the same tape, classics like that. Then they blew me away with blood bucket. Also I love Mac's inability to physically move someone. He's getting less and less competent, it's getting ridiculous now.

I also echo that while it didn't really bother me because it served the plot of the episode so well, Charlie was disturbingly competent this episode. Not one wacky idea or misconception of a common idea that I found. I guess for the script to work you need someone for Dennis to play against that isn't Frank (focus of the plot) or Mac (busy playing both sides) and after all, they don't have a very deep bench.

Where is Artemis, anyway?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Well, Mac is only working on his glamour muscles and ignoring the core. it's common knowledge!

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Charlie Work
The Gang Beats Boggs
The Gang Group Dates
The Gang Misses the Boat
Frank Retires
The Gang Goes on Family Fight
Mac Kills His Dad
The Gang Spies Like U.S.
Psycho Pete Returns

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

nasboat posted:

don't know if anyone else noticed, but as a lifelong Kentuckian I was excited to see Mac sporting a "Big Bone Lick State Park" t-shirt

yes, it's a real thing

Big Bone Lick State Park is located at Big Bone in Boone County, Kentucky. It is located on Beaver Road and between the communities of Beaverlick and Rabbit Hash.

lol, what the gently caress man.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I really enjoy episodes where Charlie gets to be the smart one. I like to imagine that we see parts of episodes from different people's perspectives and that they all look stupid to each other. Like Charlie Work was from Charlie's perspective. He was the smartest one and everyone else was an idiot. When Mac goes to the apartment to announce his double cross, it's from Charlie's perspective again and he's smart. At the end, it's from Dennis' perspective and despite his con failing, he pulls it all together because everyone else is stupid from his perspective.

Unmerciful
Sep 14, 2008

Easychair Bootson posted:

Charlie Work
The Gang Beats Boggs
The Gang Group Dates
The Gang Misses the Boat
Frank Retires
Mac Kills His Dad
The Gang Spies Like U.S.
Psycho Pete Returns

I would only switch Frank Retires and The Gang Group Dates but other than that same ranking - high five! These guys really seem to have the show down to a science by now - there's usually a few standout episodes per season, a couple clunkers, and a bunch in the good-to-great range that people are more mixed on. To me the show's been at the same consistent level for the last 4-5 seasons (the limiting to 10 episodes probably helps with that) and if they can keep that up I hope they keep making it forever.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

This episode was fantastic. The knife scenes out of nowhere were amazing. I didn't know if I should gasp or laugh. Everything they did was funny.

And Charlie and Dee made a blood oath :3:

Also, holy poo poo. Dennis has kept in touch with that guy for 7 years just so he can steal Frank's money.

Derv1sh
May 24, 2005

Oh, come on, don’t leave your Uncle Teabag hanging
Charlie Work
The Gang Group Dates
Frank Retires
The Gang Beats Boggs
The Gang Misses the Boat
Mac Kills His Dad
Psycho Pete Returns
The Gang Spies Like U.S.

I think Dennis' insanity has harmed a few episodes more than it's helped.

It works well in the dating episode because it's absolutely believable that he's that narcissistic that low ratings would cause him to go apeshit and to a degree in last night's one. But it can go to far into caricature in The Gang Misses the Boat.

Definitely a middle of the pack season, but I've loved parts of it. Last night was great. Charlie Work was top 6 ever, for me. Steady Season opener, mixed bag in the middle and hopefully a great finale. loving love this show.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Waltzing Along posted:

Also, where the gently caress is the waitress?

Way back in The Gang Group Dates.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Can someone please make a gif of just the "I'm untethered and my rage knows no bounds!" Part? tia

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

One of the best parts of this show is how much it improves on rewatch. I personally tend to notice things like a great line reading I overlooked or one of the gang's reactions I never noticed in the background of a scene. Little details like that always end up warming me to episodes I initially wasn't crazy about. I'm not saying anyone is wrong to dislike particular episodes but it's just been such a weird and consistent phenomenon in these threads that even mostly disliked episodes are eventually looked back upon favorably a season or two later.

Except Frank's Brother, I think most of us can agree on that one.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Advice posted:

Charlie was disturbingly competent this episode. Not one wacky idea or misconception of a common idea that I found.

trundle, keeper of a blood bucket

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

robot roll call posted:

Except Frank's Brother, I think most of us can agree on that one.

Yeah, Frank's Brother is easily the worst episode in the series, followed by the Liberty Bell episode.

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME
YeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEssssssss!

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Even the liberty bell one has grown on my but not franks brother.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think there's a pretty good chance Grab is Franquito's dad anyway.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Yeah, Frank's Brother is easily the worst episode in the series, followed by the Liberty Bell episode.

Liberty Bell is great.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I appreciated that Dennis was a tad more grounded this episode and back to manipulating the gang, there could be a Goonies situation in that hole, after all.

Shitty Treat
Feb 21, 2012

Stoopid?

Koalas March posted:

Can someone please make a gif of just the "I'm untethered and my rage knows no bounds!" Part? tia

Linking it as it came out big

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

ChesterJT posted:

Liberty Bell is great.

Yessssssssssh it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvvlhOfxKfs

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It's also got British Cricket's head exploding, which is amazing.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

WHY does he keep SPITTING IN MY MOUTH? Who IS this man?

bij
Feb 24, 2007

My favorite bit in Liberty Bell is Dee's reaction to Charlie testing the gun that would later pop Brit-Cricket's head on her. She's a witch after all.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Liberty Bell is good just because of the gang being offended by the portrait of Washington.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

steinrokkan posted:

Liberty Bell is good just because of the gang being offended by the portrait of Washington.

"Oh, did you.... want this here?"
"Yes!"

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Who's this bozo that didn't like Liberty Bell?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Don't worry about that jabroni.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

DNova posted:

Don't worry about that jabroni.

Jabroni....cool word! :)

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Maybe he didn't understand. Let me start over. The year was 1776...

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.

lovely Treat posted:

Linking it as it came out big

Quicker loading

rawillkill fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 14, 2015

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Sammus posted:

Also, holy poo poo. Dennis has kept in touch with that guy for 7 years just so he can steal Frank's money.

I thought he was saying that he'd introduced Frank and Franquito 7 years ago, and since then Frank has been sending checks to Franquito that Dennis has been stealing. How else does Franquito get shares of the bar?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Phenotype posted:

I thought he was saying that he'd introduced Frank and Franquito 7 years ago, and since then Frank has been sending checks to Franquito that Dennis has been stealing. How else does Franquito get shares of the bar?

where did you get all this from?? :psyduck:

HMM! re-watching that scene... you could be right. :psyduck:

No it doesn't make sense because Dennis paid Franquito $5 to come play the part. No, I think the whole thing came down to this bar share plan, not 7 years of checks.

sleepy gary fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 14, 2015

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007
What music is playing when Frank is deathly white and talking about to Frankquito and all that near the end? Is it the Batman Returns music? It sounds so familiar. It could be just Sunny music and I'm crazy.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

What music is playing when Frank is deathly white and talking about to Frankquito and all that near the end? Is it the Batman Returns music? It sounds so familiar. It could be just Sunny music and I'm crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsD0FDLOKGA

Aquarium from Camille Saint-Saëns's Carnival of the Animals. I can't remember any other time they've used it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

Brawnfire posted:

WHY does he keep SPITTING IN MY MOUTH? Who IS this man?