Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Enchanter Homnibus posted:

Job was put to the test. This test I believe is simply something that man cannot understand.

Job was used as a loving toy by two his worshiped deity and that deity's fallen angel.

Arguing that we cannot understand it is just hand waving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
But Yahweh controls Lucifer, and thus caused the fall and all other actions by Adam, Eve, and all of humanity.

Asshole Businessman
Aug 8, 2007
I heart Donald Trump.

Science is limited to the physical world. Let us not limit ourselves to the physical world when seeking spiritual realities.

But the physical world is all there is. If tomorrow we found heaven to be some extra-dimensional place in the universe, it would still be a physical place by definition. Spiritual anything is another way of expressing a "personal truth," which is a dishonest phrasing of your emotionally charged personal opinion - not a real truth, which is based on verifiable, physical evidence.

Lucifer brought evil into this world but is not responsible for all the sins mankind. If this were true, man would not be punished. Man has the free will to choose whether to sin or not. And were he has failed, can be forgiven by the blood of the Lamb.

There is scientific evidence that suggests free will is more of a feeling than a thing that actually exists.

Asshole Businessman fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 13, 2015

Enchanter Homnibus
Mar 11, 2015

Effectronica posted:

Okay, why is psychiatry false?

Listen.

It was known for thousands of years that it was the devils or evil spirits that drove man mad or insane. It wasn't until the last 100 years that the APA changed the words madness and insanity to psychosis and label it a "brain disorder." And taught that it was "all in ones head." Drugs like methamphetamine and crack cocaine are sins today that that bring evil spirits into ones life and the evil spirits have been known to drive the person mad. An example of this would be the unsuspecting drug user being deceived by these devils and crying that, "the cops are following me."

Enchanter Homnibus
Mar 11, 2015

Effectronica posted:

Yes, theoretical. Yours is not even theoretical. Furthermore, consensus reality is only Christian if you're a Christian Scientist or a particular kind of evangelical Protestant. If you are not either, then popular belief does not imply truthfulness.

Mine is based on my own experiences and those of millions of others just like me across the world.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Listen.

It was known for thousands of years that it was the devils or evil spirits that drove man mad or insane. It wasn't until the last 100 years that the APA changed the words madness and insanity to psychosis and label it a "brain disorder." And taught that it was "all in ones head." Drugs like methamphetamine and crack cocaine are sins today that that bring evil spirits into ones life and the evil spirits have been known to drive the person mad. An example of this would be the unsuspecting drug user being deceived by these devils and crying that, "the cops are following me."

I'm afraid to say this....but....

You are either possessed or really do have a brain disorder if you honestly buy this line of bullshit.

Mine is based on my own experiences and those of millions of others just like me across the world.

Which makes your collective experiences worthless, because it still doesn't mean anything.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Listen.

No it wasn't. It was believed, in parts of the Levant, that certain disorders were caused by the possession of humans by demons. It was not a universal thing among humanity, and probably an absolute majority of Christians have not believed that mental disorders are caused by the Devil directly, including the theologians of all the non-heretical denominations.

That is not truth. Truth is universal.

Enchanter Homnibus
Mar 11, 2015

zeal posted:

Time for some real talk, Homnibus. What are your thoughts on Deuteronomy 20, particularly the back half of the chapter?

My strong points are of death and salvation.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

One of which is very real (Death) and the other of which is Conjecture (Salvation)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Job was put to the test. This test I believe is simply something that man cannot understand.

You could not understand the form of God's attack!

Enchanter Homnibus
Mar 11, 2015

Effectronica posted:

No it wasn't. It was believed, in parts of the Levant, that certain disorders were caused by the possession of humans by demons. It was not a universal thing among humanity, and probably an absolute majority of Christians have not believed that mental disorders are caused by the Devil directly, including the theologians of all the non-heretical denominations.

That is not truth. Truth is universal.

It is believed in some countries and by some psychiatrists today that schizophrenia is caused by the devils as a consequence of sin.

Medical practitioners of the Middle Ages would drill holes in people's heads to release the evil spirits.

http://psychiatric-disorders.com/schizophrenia/schizophrenia-history/

The point is that the evil condition called hell is very real and that we truly do need a Savior to deliver us from this evil.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

It is believed in some countries and by some psychiatrists today that schizophrenia is caused by the devils as a consequence of sin.

Medical practitioners of the Middle Ages would drill holes in people's heads to release the evil spirits.

The point is that the evil condition called hell is very real and that we truly do need a Savior to deliver us from this evil.
Lmao

Don't stop, fyad parachute guy.

Enchanter Homnibus
Mar 11, 2015

Bicyclops posted:

You could not understand the form of God's attack!

You can speak your grievance over with God?

Enchanter Homnibus
Mar 11, 2015

site posted:

But Yahweh controls Lucifer, and thus caused the fall and all other actions by Adam, Eve, and all of humanity.

Lucifer was not sent by God to deceive Eve. He did this on his own as he did in heaven with a third of the angels.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lucifer was not sent by God to deceive Eve. He did this on his own as he did in heaven with a third of the angels.
But Lucifer isn't free.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

You can speak your grievance over with God?

God cannot think rationally any more, and He isn't even aware of what He is doing now. His own mind was destroyed by His incredible power. What an all-mighty idiot!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

:rolleyes: Keep on keepin' on. You should probably see a shrink, by the way.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Weak sauce.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
A lot of psychiatric practice is actually pseudoscience, just as a lot of religious practice is pseudo-intellectualism.

Enchanter Homnibus
Mar 11, 2015

rear end in a top hat Businessman posted:

But the physical world is all there is. If tomorrow we found heaven to be some extra-dimensional place in the universe, it would still be a physical place by definition. Spiritual anything is another way of expressing a "personal truth," which is a dishonest phrasing of your emotionally charged personal opinion - not a real truth, which is based on verifiable, physical evidence.

There is scientific evidence that suggests free will is more of a feeling than a thing that actually exists.

The Kingdom of Heaven is not a physical place by definition but a spiritual one.

Heaven is the state or condition of being a good spirit with God in the afterlife. Hell is the state or condition of being an evil spirit without God in the afterlife. God does not make people evil. it is the human condition of being without Him in the afterlife. Hence evil spirits and demons are in hell. They are miserable people that are scattered abroad and lose all that they love - their friends and family. They have anger and hatred in their hearts and thirst for all that only a most loving Creator can give them. They are masters at the art of deception. They masquerade as something they are not because they are not happy with what they are. And they lie because they do not know the truth and wish to destroy lives. We were meant to be with God and this is a bit of what God through Son Jesus wants to deliver us from.

If you can choose to sin or not then you know that the freewill to do so exist and it is as simple as that.

Enchanter Homnibus
Mar 11, 2015

CommieGIR posted:

One of which is very real (Death) and the other of which is Conjecture (Salvation)

You have yet to discover the truth.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

I thought psychiatry was lies??

Also hell is not a condition.

Enchanter Homnibus
Mar 11, 2015

site posted:

But Lucifer isn't free.

He is free to do evil.

Enchanter Homnibus
Mar 11, 2015

CommieGIR posted:

:rolleyes: Keep on keepin' on. You should probably see a shrink, by the way.

Then my head would be shrunk as well.

Enchanter Homnibus
Mar 11, 2015

zeal posted:

Weak sauce.

I prefer my sauce to be mild.

Asshole Businessman
Aug 8, 2007
I heart Donald Trump.

The Kingdom of Heaven is not a physical place by definition but a spiritual one.

Heaven is the state or condition of being a good spirit with God in the afterlife. Hell is the state or condition of being an evil spirit without God in the afterlife. God does not make people evil. it is the human condition of being without Him in the afterlife. Hence evil spirits and demons are in hell. They are miserable people that are scattered abroad and lose all that they love - their friends and family. They have anger and hatred in their hearts and thirst for all that only a most loving Creator can give them. They are masters at the art of deception. They masquerade as something they are not because they are not happy with what they are. And they lie because they do not know the truth and wish to destroy lives. We were meant to be with God and this is a bit of what God through Son Jesus wants to deliver us from.

When you post photographed spherical objects as evidence of the holy spirit, are these spherical objects physical or spiritual?

If you can choose to sin or not then you know that the freewill to do so exist and it is as simple as that.

Actually it's not that simple, free-will is a way more complex and debatable subject than what you're making it out to be.

Asshole Businessman fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 14, 2015

Enchanter Homnibus
Mar 11, 2015

Bicyclops posted:

God cannot think rationally any more, and He isn't even aware of what He is doing now. His own mind was destroyed by His incredible power. What an all-mighty idiot!

Blasphemy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Then my head would be shrunk as well.

I love the implication that everybody not willing to accept your metaphysical claims is not as intelligent as you.

You have yet to discover the truth.

Truth implies a testable condition. Faith is not a testable condition. It can be a personally held truth, but never a universal truth.

Enchanter Homnibus
Mar 11, 2015

SedanChair posted:

A lot of psychiatric practice is actually pseudoscience, just as a lot of religious practice is pseudo-intellectualism.

Christianity is the complete truth.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
So wait, do you believe the Devil was able to outwit God's plan when he tempted Eve? Because if so that just makes God out to be a pretty huge moron.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Heaven is the state or condition of being a good spirit with God in the afterlife. Hell is the state or condition of being an evil spirit without God in the afterlife. God does not make people evil. it is the human condition of being without Him in the afterlife. Hence evil spirits and demons are in hell. They are miserable people that are scattered abroad and lose all that they love - their friends and family.

But if your friends and family are not saved, won't you experience this same separation and suffering in heaven? It's not like you'd get to hang out and have thanksgiving dinner in hell, but I wouldn't want to be in heaven if my family was in hell. God's love would be trash compared to the knowledge of their eternal suffering. And if God somehow overpowered my mind with his love so that I didn't care about my family burning in hellfire, then that's no different from a soporific drug, with God as the pusher. I don't have any interest in such a cruel drug, no matter who is selling it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Christianity is the complete truth.

Which sect? Also: Why?

Enchanter Homnibus
Mar 11, 2015

Effectronica posted:

I thought psychiatry was lies??

Also hell is not a condition.

Today hell is primarily described as in the big book of Catechism of the Catholic Church as, "the state of definitive self-exclusion from communion of life and love with the Trinity and all the blessed. Heaven is the state of supreme and definitive happiness, the goal of the deepest longings of humanity."

Enchanter Homnibus
Mar 11, 2015

rear end in a top hat Businessman posted:

When you post photographed spherical objects as evidence of the holy spirit, are these spherical objects physical or spiritual?

Spiritual.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Today hell is primarily described as in the big book of Catechism of the Catholic Church as, "the state of definitive self-exclusion from communion of life and love with the Trinity and all the blessed. Heaven is the state of supreme and definitive happiness, the goal of the deepest longings of humanity."

And then you describe the damned as demons, fallen angels, so you are very clearly a schismatic at best and heretical most likely.

Furthermore, within the actual text, there is Gehenna/Hades, where the unrighteous may be tormented, which is clearly a place, distinct from Heaven, and there is the lake of fire, which is oblivion, where all whose name is not recorded within the book of life will be thrown with hell and death itself when the old world passes away.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Photographs work by the interaction of light with matter. If they aren't physical, please explain the mechanism by which they are able to show up on cameras.

Asshole Businessman
Aug 8, 2007
I heart Donald Trump.

Why? These objects were captured on film, surely some sort of physical phenomenon made that happen.

edit: beaten

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
*spits on a window, shines a flashlight at it* "lookit me fellas, I'm givin' out wings!"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Photographs work by the interaction of light with matter. If they aren't physical, please explain the mechanism by which they are able to show up on cameras.

God shines his own light :smuggo:

Honestly, this thread makes me miss Kyrie. At least he could argue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Mother Mary, blessed amongst women never had any recorded problems in her life that I'm aware of.

besides not getting laid i guess

and also some Zeus like interactions with deities

• Locked thread