Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Entropic posted:

The others aren't even khans though. Zurgo's demoted to Bellringer. Anafenza is a ghost heretic. Sidisi is zombie sidekick. Surrak is just a hunter guy. And Narset's now a planeswalker.

The cycle isn't "new clan leaders" it's "Where are they now?" for the original Khans in the KTK time line.

I think the main issue messing with people's heads is that 4 of the 5 are now mono-colored legendary creatures, so Narset muddles what people expect out of the cycle.

If she had been a pure blue planeswalker I think everyone would have been fine with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

Count Bleck posted:

It will go in my good posts edh deck.

You only need about 90 more to finish the deck.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I like Entropic's logic, especially before he edited his post to show that the card that had received a legend wasn't legendary enough for him to remember and therefore anything players don't know shouldn't have a legend.

And since no one knows a legend until they make a legend - and even then, it's a bit of a struggle apparently - they just shouldn't make legends.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

forbidden lesbian posted:

I think the main issue messing with people's heads is that 4 of the 5 are now mono-colored legendary creatures, so Narset muddles what people expect out of the cycle.

If she had been a pure blue planeswalker I think everyone would have been fine with it

Given her fluff piece it's funny she bothers people who really want things to fit into patterns they find familiar!

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Entropic posted:

They should print a block consisting entirely of 4-card cycles. :smugwizard:

I want to see what their original plan for a four khan KTK would have looked like

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Entropic posted:

They should print a block consisting entirely of 4-card cycles. :smugwizard:

I wasn't around for it so I'm not fully certain, but I think Odyssey-Torment-Judgment had a number of incomplete cycles since a theme of the block was singling out black as a color (Torment was very black-heavy, then Judgment had far less black and more green-white). The Tainted lands are one example, at least.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

OTJ owns and I think the unbalanced thing rates an 11 on the storm scale.

Unrelated to cycles of cycling cycle talk, if we assume there are eight promos like KTK the list as I see it looks something like this

Anyone got any guesses on the missing two? Or have they contradicted it'll go patterned this way?

Entropic posted:

Are you referring to my confusing Taigam's Scheming with Tasigur's Cruelty?
Yes, but I'm just talking about your logic, I'm not angry and I won't remember Taigam tomorrow. Living Lore is sweet anyway.

Unless I can figure out a sweet Taiga-m pun. You know like, he was WUR and then he went UBG?

Spiderdrake fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 13, 2015

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Spiderdrake posted:

I like Entropic's logic, especially before he edited his post to show that the card that had received a legend wasn't legendary enough for him to remember and therefore anything players don't know shouldn't have a legend.

And since no one knows a legend until they make a legend - and even then, it's a bit of a struggle apparently - they just shouldn't make legends.

Are you referring to my confusing Taigam's Scheming with Tasigur's Cruelty?

The four cards in the cycle are characters that already had a legendary creature card, and these are alternate versions of them -- and for some reason people are mad that there isn't a fifth one of a character previously only mentioned in flavor text? I really don't get what people are so mad about here.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I just wanted to see/play Taigam, I thought he was an interesting character.

It never clicked for me that the charcters in that cycle are, like, exactly the same characters that were khans in KTK. I just completely breezed past it.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
It's more that the cycle is the 5 ex-khans, but they could have easily finished a second cycle with a single card for a character that had previously been named and was relevant in the lore. Not a big deal, but a little disappointing maybe

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
There's no pleasing Magic players.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I agree we needed Mother of Loons (Narset's Mother) as the blue legend.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
I don't think anyone's particularly upset about there not being a Taigam, there's just this feeling that Wizards can't stop making 5 color cycles, so having a 4 color one (for a good reason!) seems odd. Cycles really homogenize set design like nothing else does; there are definitely good and bad parts about that. I don't mind them occasionally not giving us a full cycle if there are good reasons, as it keeps the cards from blending together too much.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Entropic posted:

How much play did Illness in the Ranks see? I don't remember anyone running it even in sideboards, and it shared a Standard with Lingering Souls.

I had friends bring it in against Murdergoats because lol red-black answers to Enchantments, but obviously that is an extreme example.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Nothing about Taigam was particularly memorable to the point we really needed a card for him beyond what we got. People are just mad about no blue legend.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
It kinda sucks because we're either being deprived of four allied-color legends or blue players lose out on a new one and/or are forced to share it with white.

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

GODDAMN IT WIZARDS FIRST AZAX-AZOG THE DEMON THANE AND NOW THIS?????

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
This set looks good I look forward to darfting it

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Nibble posted:

I wasn't around for it so I'm not fully certain, but I think Odyssey-Torment-Judgment had a number of incomplete cycles since a theme of the block was singling out black as a color (Torment was very black-heavy, then Judgment had far less black and more green-white). The Tainted lands are one example, at least.

Tainted lands were a complete cycle, it's just that there could only be 4 of them. Unless you really wanted a land that only makes colorless unless you control a swamp, in which case it makes black or black.

I guess you could consider Cabal Coffers the fifth in the uncommon swamp-related land cycle.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Myriad Truths posted:

I don't think anyone's particularly upset about there not being a Taigam, there's just this feeling that Wizards can't stop making 5 color cycles, so having a 4 color one (for a good reason!) seems odd. Cycles really homogenize set design like nothing else does; there are definitely good and bad parts about that. I don't mind them occasionally not giving us a full cycle if there are good reasons, as it keeps the cards from blending together too much.

The thing is that it seems like it is a full cycle; it just goes along flavor lines rather than strict color and card type lines. Which breaks people's minds, apparently. (Though in all honesty I might not have gotten it myself without Entropic's post.)

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Just remember, the slot Taigam would've taken is held by Clone Legion. :v:

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Did prices crash on DTK singles? I was looking to get a few things and prices are down from what they were yesterday. Collected Company was 8.50 now 4.50 at tcgplayer and Deathmist raptor was close to 10 and is now around 6.

e - Narset is low 30's now and sarkhan is 21-22.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

AlternateNu posted:

Just remember, the slot Taigam would've taken is held by Clone Legion. :v:
No, it's either Living Lore or Blessed Reincarnation. I posted the slots above. Most likely Living Lore.

edit: Though I will say I think there's a bit of imbalance in this set, I think there's actually an extra Dromoka watermark in the rares? Eh w/e, maybe they're doing something else.

Spiderdrake fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Mar 13, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Bugsy posted:

Did prices crash on DTK singles? I was looking to get a few things and prices are down from what they were yesterday. Collected Company was 8.50 now 4.50 at tcgplayer and Deathmist raptor was close to 10 and is now around 6.

e - Narset is low 30's now and sarkhan is 21-22.

A lot of places don't bother to put up preorders on stuff until the whole set it out so they can try and figure out out what demand is actually going to be like. The guys who put up super early preorders are usually hoping to catch people early who get overly excited about a card without actually thinking it through, e.g. every single person who currently has a preorder on Narset Transcendent.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Spiderdrake posted:

No, it's either Living Lore or Blessed Reincarnation. I posted the slots above. Most likely Living Lore.

edit: Though I will say I think there's a bit of imbalance in this set, I think there's actually an extra Dromoka watermark in the rares? Eh w/e, maybe they're doing something else.

Yeah, you're right. Just wanted to prod.

That having been said, I like how Living Lore is a 4-mana 8/8. That'll be fun to tool around with.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

MiddleEastBeast posted:

This set looks good I look forward to darfting it

Same.

And this is my favorite art, thread, as previously posted by Entropic

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

AlternateNu posted:

Yeah, you're right. Just wanted to prod.

That having been said, I like how Living Lore is a 4-mana 8/8. That'll be fun to tool around with.
Dream big man. Pitch trespass to tormenting voice and create the Lorexian almost-Dreadnought.

So like, dreadnot, I guess. Card owns. (probably not playable, but it is very easy to trigger, so who knows?)

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Spiderdrake posted:

Dream big man. Pitch trespass to tormenting voice and create the Lorexian almost-Dreadnought.

So like, dreadnot, I guess. Card owns. (probably not playable, but it is very easy to trigger, so who knows?)

I like it so much. All it needs is to fight and survive (since you need to sacrifice it to its trigger), and if you manage to get something expensive on it, it's big enough to demand a blocker. Of course it also would demand spot removal, which is less optimal. :negative:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I can't wait for this horrible speculation to gently caress me in the rear end, no lube.
:getin:

This isn't even a big gamble gently caress me.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Came 3rd at fnm running mono black humans aggro and pulled an ugin, woop

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

If losing $50 will ruin you please do not speculate on wizard poker cards.

Actually just don't do that ever probably.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

rabidsquid posted:

If losing $50 will ruin you please do not speculate on wizard poker cards.

Actually just don't do that ever probably.

This is pretty whatever, yeah.

If I win, I make some extra money.

If I lose, whatever, I wanted a foil anyway, and it's 50 bucks, who cares.

The Atarka's Commands are mine anyway.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Unrelated to spoilers: I occasionally try giving thought to what sort of design space is still untapped when it comes to competitive dual land cycles, since that's one area where it feels like the available space left for really good rare cycles with interesting conditional come-into-play-untapped clauses that we haven't seen before is drying up a bit (or maybe I'm just not as imaginative as WoTC).

Recently had an idea pop into my head that feels like a combination of core-set checklands and the SOM fastland cycle. Something along the lines of:

quote:

You may have ~ come into play untapped as long as you control another nonbasic land. If you do, ~ deals 1 damage to you. Otherwise, ~ enters the battlefield tapped.

{T}: Add {Dongs} or {Butts} to your mana pool.
(ignore poor templating I may have used)

So basically a guaranteed tapped dual if it's your first play of the game, but you get it untapped at a small cost for subsequent turns assuming you have some other non-basic in play (felt like not including the damage might make it way too overpowered, though 1 damage might be negligible enough, too). Different enough from other rare dual cycles in that hands with all duals have advantages and disadvantages compared to recent conditional cycles (better than a hand of all checklands, worse than a hand of all fastlands until you're past turn 3, etc..), and there's obviously other subtle pros/cons when basics are involved compared to those other cycles.

Just throwing this out there as an unrelated thought exercise, if anyone wants to chime in cool.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Unrelated to spoilers: I occasionally try giving thought to what sort of design space is still untapped when it comes to competitive dual land cycles, since that's one area where it feels like the available space left for really good rare cycles with interesting conditional come-into-play-untapped clauses that we haven't seen before is drying up a bit (or maybe I'm just not as imaginative as WoTC).

Recently had an idea pop into my head that feels like a combination of core-set checklands and the SOM fastland cycle. Something along the lines of:

So basically a guaranteed tapped dual if it's your first play of the game, but you get it untapped at a small cost for subsequent turns assuming you have some other non-basic in play (felt like not including the damage might make it way too overpowered, though 1 damage might be negligible enough, too). Different enough from other rare dual cycles in that hands with all duals have advantages and disadvantages compared to recent conditional cycles (better than a hand of all checklands, worse than a hand of all fastlands until you're past turn 3, etc..), and there's obviously other subtle pros/cons when basics are involved compared to those other cycles.

Just throwing this out there as an unrelated thought exercise, if anyone wants to chime in cool.

Personally, I think the differences are too subtle to be worth a whole new cycle. In the interest of both (harder) deck building choices, player enthusiasm, and just more interesting cards, I think the differentiation between rare land cycles - hallmarks, of a sort - shouldn't be too granular.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

MiddleEastBeast posted:

An idea I've had would be similar to the tribal reveal lands, but tailored to the opposite color, and typed. And each color gets assigned a card type. So like the UR land would be type - Island, and come into play untapped if you reveal a red creature. Or the GW would be a forest that comes into play undtapped if you reveal a white enchantment, etc.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

I've got a super good idea for a competitive dual land cycle-

super good idea posted:

Subglacial Volcano

Snow Land — Island Mountain

Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, if you control a card named "Volcanic Island" or "Steam Vents," sacrifice Subglacial Volcano.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

LGD posted:

I've got a super good idea for a competitive dual land cycle-
I prefer:

Subglacial Volcano

Snow Land — Island Mountain

T: Destroy target Volcanic Island or Steam Vents.

Rinkles posted:

Personally, I think the differences are too subtle to be worth a whole new cycle. In the interest of both (harder) deck building choices, player enthusiasm, and just more interesting cards, I think the differentiation between rare land cycles - hallmarks, of a sort - shouldn't be too granular.

The only real design space left for dual lands are basically lands that care specifically about block mechanics.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 14, 2015

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Same.

And this is my favorite art, thread, as previously posted by Entropic

oh the jewels make him hexproof cause the enemy gets distracted by the pretty lights, that's neat

the jewels are hard so he gets more tough too, 10/10 flavor masterpiece

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

forbidden lesbian posted:

oh the jewels make him hexproof cause the enemy gets distracted by the pretty lights, that's neat

the jewels are hard so he gets more tough too, 10/10 flavor masterpiece

I didn't notice this initially either, but I think it's a she

• Locked thread