Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Woolie Wool posted:

Tribes 2 music works quite well with Quake.
Omg Tribes :drool:

The game that got me into FPSs. Always a place in my heart for you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I forgot about Emergence's weird AI system that can end up with you in near or straight up impossible sequences if its up too high. And the loading system for Source games...ugh. So glad we've moved beyond this in today's games.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Kazvall posted:

The Quake mod I was looking for is called Travail. Track 2 from the soundtrack.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1wXwqEtpDRM

FYI for anyone who hasn't tried it, Travail is a legit good SP campaign.

(That's kind of an unfortunate gimmick for a game BGM track tho.)

JLaw fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Mar 13, 2015

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

site posted:

I forgot about Emergence's weird AI system that can end up with you in near or straight up impossible sequences if its up too high. And the loading system for Source games...ugh. So glad we've moved beyond this in today's games.

Yeah, if you're going to play Emergence, make sure that you set the difficulty fairly low, because you can't change it later.

That being said, I think after you die so many times, the game starts lowering the difficulty (though I'm not sure).

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

The difficult setting was supposed to scale fairly well - it was broken on release though so it never took the foot off the pedal; it only got harder (a sort of reverse of UFO: enemy unknown's problem) By the end of the game on the tower at the end, the game would literally send conga lines of mini-gunners at you. It was still pretty fun, but then they fixed it and I remember finding it really easy afterwards.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Jblade posted:

The difficult setting was supposed to scale fairly well - it was broken on release though so it never took the foot off the pedal; it only got harder (a sort of reverse of UFO: enemy unknown's problem) By the end of the game on the tower at the end, the game would literally send conga lines of mini-gunners at you. It was still pretty fun, but then they fixed it and I remember finding it really easy afterwards.

If you were doing well, it could get a bit tough during the end when you were scaling the tower because of how many jetpack and minigun dudes the game would throw at you. Otherwise, it was pretty easy.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

I do remember the T-shirt they made later though where it basically said "I beat the SinTek tower pre-patch!" which was pretty funny.

On a Doom note, I just saw that FPSBanana had an interview with Sgt. Mark IV about Brutal Doom. Whatever you think of him and BD, it's still a interesting read about the divide between Doom mappers and Doom modders (which more and more are pretty much two different things for the most part in Doom now)

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

Jblade posted:

I do remember the T-shirt they made later though where it basically said "I beat the SinTek tower pre-patch!" which was pretty funny.
What, this thing?
http://www.cafepress.com/sinepisodes.58219858

Yeah, pretty amusing. :)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Tecman posted:

What, this thing?
http://www.cafepress.com/sinepisodes.58219858

Yeah, pretty amusing. :)
Of course the model guy has a pony tail.

And yeah, the tower part, and the parts where your up against the mutants, but the game doesn't supply you with enough ammo (and specifically the pistol secondary that does mad damage to them).

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013

Jblade posted:

On a Doom note, I just saw that FPSBanana had an interview with Sgt. Mark IV about Brutal Doom. Whatever you think of him and BD, it's still a interesting read about the divide between Doom mappers and Doom modders (which more and more are pretty much two different things for the most part in Doom now)

I love Brutal Doom.

I use it with Freedoom and the Going Down megawad. It's like the Doom 2.5 I never had. Or perhaps, more accurately, it's like the Doom 3 we should have had (just try to convince anyone that Brutal Doom is worse than Doom 3).

I also found a February update to BD on best-ever.org. It's not complete yet, but it's looking really nice. I kinda like the idea of making a "starter pack", or whatever Sgt Mark IV calls it, which would have freedoom, gzdoom (presumably the latest version), brutal doom, and a new set of 30 levels. It's like a complete game for free!

I hope Doom 4 doesn't end up being a Brutal Doom ripoff...

quote:

Has the popularity of your mod attracted “less than desirable” attention?

Yes, already happened a lot of times. I got in some pretty bad discussions on the Zdoom forums about features. Some people even claim that I am "not the developer that Brütal Doom deserves", saying that the guy that works on the sub-version Sperglord Edition should take over the project, sometimes even "demanding" me to change things like if they were my employers, saying that they wouldn't play the mod anymore if I don't change something they don't like, even in face of many other people disagreeing with it's opinion. And there are also a lot of people that think I have destroyed the Doom modding community, that Brütal Doom brings Call of Duty players to it and they keep demanding every modder to make their mods compatible with Brütal Doom, but I finally noticed that the best way to deal with this kind of people is to simply ignore them. But even one year after I was banned from Zdoom forums, they like to make fake accounts on Youtube and attempt to say things like I am the bastard son of Paul Fish and Britney Spears, that I am also the second coming of Hitler and that I am a jungle monkey that should die. Well, I guess that you can't please everyone, right?

Why do people hate jungle monkeys?

It seems a little bizarre to dislike animals. I used to enjoy watching them when I was at the zoo as a child.

Jakcson fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Mar 14, 2015

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
It's cute that he's playing the victim when he's painted the target on himself by being a racist, Holocaust denying dick who once told a person with depression to just get it over with and kill themselves.

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

It's cute that he's playing the victim when he's painted the target on himself by being a racist, Holocaust denying dick who once told a person with depression to just get it over with and kill themselves.

I dunno... maybe this is kinda like that scene in one of those Iron Man movies where Tony Stark is told that as a person, he is not welcome in the Avengers, but Iron Man is.

Or where Hitler was semi-responsible for the creation of the Volkswagen car company, but he was an absolutely terrible person.

I think Brutal Doom is a great mod, but perhaps it might be a good idea to separate the mod from the creator when talking about it.

edit: And with the february update, it seems that weapon switching works properly (for the most part) when you run out of ammo.

VVVVV - I don't really know why people got upset about that since the fake gore is so much more extreme. Or at least, it is now (and I'm pretty sure he just MSpainted over the real gore mod and kept it in BD).

At least Sgt Mark IV isn't a racist murderer like Darren Wilson, who killed an unarmed child in cold blood, while the poor kid had his hands up and begged Darren not to shoot him. :v: (Sgt just pretends to kill zombies and monsters.)

Jakcson fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 14, 2015

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Didn't he once made an addon to brutal doom that replaced the gore with photos of actual human gore as well?

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Elliotw2 posted:

Didn't he once made an addon to brutal doom that replaced the gore with photos of actual human gore as well?

IIRC it was never released because of the controversy over it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

dick who once told a person with depression to just get it over with and kill themselves.

sounds like half the posters in gbs and d&d

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013
^^^^^ - But it's different because Sgt Mark IV is supposed to be a God-like figure without any human flaws.

closeted republican posted:

IIRC it was never released because of the controversy over it.

It actually was released (or at least was available for download), and I tried it.

I didn't see what the big deal was, as I thought it looked worse ingame than the fake gore. That's probably what should have been said to Sgt Mark IV instead of what was really said. With the amount of gore in this mod (especially now), sometimes less detail is better.

Can you imagine what a nightmare it would be to try to recreate the current officially unreleased version of Brutal Doom with 3D models? (Obviously certain things would still have to use decals and sprites in order to not kill everyone's computer, but y'all know what I'm trying to say.)

Then again, if that were possible, that would probably be absolutely loving AWESOME. I would never need another single player FPS again, as long as FreeDoom and Brutal Doom kept getting updated.

Jakcson fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 14, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jakcson posted:

I love Brutal Doom.

I use it with Freedoom and the Going Down megawad. It's like the Doom 2.5 I never had. Or perhaps, more accurately, it's like the Doom 3 we should have had (just try to convince anyone that Brutal Doom is worse than Doom 3).

Actually Brutal Doom is exactly like the Duke Nukem Forever we did get. Hope this helps.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Brutal Doom killed my best friend a few years ago. I will never forgive it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Early fps thread cycle :mrgw:

On a more serious note, is there any hexen wad that tones down the switch hunt?

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013

Nintendo Kid posted:

Actually Brutal Doom is exactly like the Duke Nukem Forever we did get. Hope this helps.

I've got my hands up. Don't shoot.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

There's a new world record in Doom 2 speedrun category:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghCPOd_V-JE

That Chasm trick is something I will never, ever reproduce.

Vitreous Rumor
Oct 21, 2004

It looks like Doomguy has to stop and suck his gut in to fit through some of those openings. Cracks me up every time.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

EvilDrWong posted:

It looks like Doomguy has to stop and suck his gut in to fit through some of those openings. Cracks me up every time.

I was about to post and ask "how does this work?" but did the googling myself.

http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Glide

Seems sweet, I was trying to do it in an office netgame a while ago but I never actually read up on how to do it!

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Seeing that Doom 2 speed run got me to watch Quake Done Quickest again.

Holy poo poo it's one of my favorite speedruns of all time. The speedrunners utterly destroy the maps with things like enemy projectile jumps, crowd surfing over enemies, and grenade and rocket jump in ways I'd never think of. Combine all the awesome tricks they do with Quake 1's blistering speed and you have a very enjoyable speedrun.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I enjoyed everything about this comment in that video.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

RyokoTK posted:

I enjoyed everything about this comment in that video.

Wow. A an actual good YouTube comment. For real though, that is a crazy speedrun.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Some of those rocket splashback ricochets are just insane.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

laserghost posted:

The resolution is killing me, sprites all look weird. I need somebody to record this demo looking like proper doom :cheeky:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Mar 15, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Zaphod42 posted:

The resolution is killing me, sprites all look weird. I need somebody to record this demo looking like proper doom :cheeky:

If you record it at low resolution, Youtube shits it out as low quality video.

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

You can change the youtube settings to display it at 360p, which is kinda close to what Doom uses. :haw:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
My issue is that like every single other Doom LP, it's the low contrast/high brightness look, but at least this one doens't have the garbage scaling running.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
So for no real reason I decided to get back 'into' Doom a while ago. I took a few afternoons and read through all the Cacowards + generally well regarded wads and stuck them all in yearly folders from 1994 to 2014. My goal is to play through an abbreviated history of Doom mods chronologically. I thought I'd post my thoughts on at least the first few years, in case anyone has missed some of the classics and wants to check them out.

Crossing Acheron - Replaces E1M3. Short and sweet, good design/secrets and monster density. Remember to try ALL the different teleporters. Recommended.
    UAC Dead - Replaces E1M8. Very sparse, lots of big open areas. Cool hell cavern, weird boss fight. Don't miss the secret area in the moving sidewalk room. It got a bit old running around huge empty areas but the fights were still lots of fun with plenty of room to sprint around dodging stuff. Notable for being one of the first maps to attempt 'realistic' environments.
    Aliens TC - After fussing with this for the better part of an afternoon I've given up. The closest I can get is Chocolate Doom or vanilla D2 through Dosbox, but even then there are weird floating sprites and texture errors. A technical landmark at the time but I got other poo poo to play.
    Galaxia - Replaces E1M1 and M9. Notable for having a plot to go along with the maps. I really liked this one, there was a lot of variety in the environments, good use of heavy enemies without making things too tough (the very beginning is a little frustrating before you know where to go). Good use of darkness without going completely overboard. My only complaint would be some repetition of long narrow corridors (caves, subway, :siren: sewer :siren: ) but none of them last too long. A cute little epilogue takes place in M9 inside your apparently spider-themed spaceship :3:
    Serenity II: Eternity - Replaces Episode 2. Liked all the maps but a disappointing final battle. Everyone complains about the maze in map 2 but it's not bad at all. The bridge in that same map is still buggy though. Hot custom soundtrack.
    Return to Phobos - Replaces Episode 1. Wow (relatively) balls hard. Ambushes everywhere and keys hidden in mandatory secrets. Compared to Eternity and TEU this is like Episode IV. I bet these levels were made sequentially because they seems to run out of steam after a few maps, I'd say if you're looking for that old school key/switch hunting then play the first few maps and skip the rest. Secret level exit is in E1M3.
    Slaughter Until Death II: The Evil Unleashed - Replaces Episode 3. Pretty good, not as good as the Eternity levels, but a much better final battle.
    orig.wad - Replaces E1M1. The Original, first custom wad ever released. Actually a fun little challenge to get 100% kills. Made by hand editing HEX code before any editors were available holy gently caress.

Overall my favorite single map was Galaxia, and for an episode replacement play Eternity, then when you get to the end load up The Evil Unleashed and skip to M8 and pretend that was the end.

One good thing to come out of bashing my head against the Aliens TC was to find the Gravis Ultrasound settings in Chocolate Doom. These are basically higher quality, more musical MIDI samples that you can point your source port at to bump your music quality while still keeping that retro MIDI feel. Just open up your G/Zdoom or Chocolate Doom cfg file and find something like the gus_patch_dir setting, and paste in the path to these files or even these files, then change your sound options to GUS and enjoy a nicer MIDI soundtrack.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I wish there was a Doom mod that let one person play a Doomguy through the campaign, and anyone else who joins plays as a random enemy, Perfect Dark / L4D-style.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

There's definitely more than one zandronum compatible mod that does that. I think one was called master of puppets?

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I wish there was a Doom mod that let one person play a Doomguy through the campaign, and anyone else who joins plays as a random enemy, Perfect Dark / L4D-style.

You would spend so much time waiting in a closet for Doomguy to pick up that loving key already

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013

Korendian Leader posted:

There's definitely more than one zandronum compatible mod that does that. I think one was called master of puppets?

My favorite was the one where you had a bunch of survivors, and at the start one person became infected, and then that one person tried to chase down and infect all of the others.

I despised that one map that was essentially two hotels with 5 floors each, and 20+ empty rooms on each floor. You could go the entire round, having been in every single room, without ever having seen another player.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Takes No Damage posted:

Aliens TC - After fussing with this for the better part of an afternoon I've given up. The closest I can get is Chocolate Doom or vanilla D2 through Dosbox, but even then there are weird floating sprites and texture errors. A technical landmark at the time but I got other poo poo to play.
I was able to get the TC to work in ZDoom with the quick launcher by pointing it to all the necessary files + the DeHackEd patch or whatever it came with.

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones

laserghost posted:

20:32 is absolutely nuts! I thought 23 minutes was pretty optimal considering the amount of stuff that might screw up. Dude just Usain Bolted past the record.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
There are special instructions for playing Aliens TC with chocolate doom: http://www.chocolate-doom.org/wiki/index.php/Aliens_TC It's definitely worth playing a little bit as it was the first TC that really blew people's minds. I remember playing it at the time and being scared poo poo-less of the aliens. Lots of great tension and build up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
It seems like people just gave up on whole game doom 2 runs for years, then all of a sudden are trying again. Would love to see some doom 1 episode records broken too.