Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Spedman posted:

The only problem I've heard with the mammography stuff is it comes in weird sizes, I've never looked into it myself.. There's also the Arista Ortho film thats $40 for 50 sheets:
http://www.freestylephoto.biz/51815-Arista-Ortho-Litho-Film-2.0-8x10-50-Sheets

This is the stuff that is supposed to be quite good http://www.zzmedical.com/8x10-in-carestream-kodak-ektascan-b-ra-single-emulsion-video-film.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Awkward Davies posted:

That video is pretty good up to the point you realize that you have no idea WHY you're doing any of that, or how it actually works, so that when you get a photo like mine above that's green as gently caress all you can do is blindly play with curves in Photoshop which usually just makes it worse so you have to start over.

So, anyone got any resources that go deeper into color processing etc?

Asking for me, a big color retarded poo poo baby.

Well if you type "how to use color channels in curves" into youtube/google, I'm sure you'll find some good stuff.
Just play around with them, and the combinations of the channels - raise blue shadows, then raise green shadows, then lower red shadows, see the result. Go through all the permutations.

Edit:
First result on YouTube, I skipped through it but it seems like its a good starting point http://youtu.be/Ba6jRb41ByE

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 8, 2015

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Awkward Davies posted:

That video is pretty good up to the point you realize that you have no idea WHY you're doing any of that, or how it actually works, so that when you get a photo like mine above that's green as gently caress all you can do is blindly play with curves in Photoshop which usually just makes it worse so you have to start over.

So, anyone got any resources that go deeper into color processing etc?

Asking for me, a big color retarded poo poo baby.

When you have the curves menu open, you can still click on the image and it'll default to an eyedropper that shows you where on a given color curve an area is, as well as showing you the RGB values in the color picker, if you have it open. So, for example, if there's an area that looks too green, you can click around it to see where on the green curve it lies, and drag that part of the curve correspondingly downwards.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Takanawa, Tokyo by alkanphel, on Flickr

Wadakura Fountain Park by alkanphel, on Flickr

Wadakura Fountain Park by alkanphel, on Flickr

Takanawa, Tokyo by alkanphel, on Flickr

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Wow, those are all really great photos.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

krnhotwings posted:

Wow, those are all really great photos.

Thanks!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Very naice

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
My 645 Pro is having issues, I've wound a new frame in, cocked the shutter but when I press the trigger all I get is a very quiet click sound and no actuation from anything in the camera, this happens with back, without back, mirror up or down, multi exposure or no, in every shutter-speed. So it's pretty much jammed closed, if anyone knows of a quick way to fix this I'd be grateful. Otherwise I'll need a decent repair house in Sydney Australia and frankly my experiences with the well known ones have not been great.

EDIT: Fixed it, for future reference try cocking the shutter with the mirror up, from the looks of it the mirror->shutter cocking had gotten out of sync, when I pressed the shutter with the mirror up, then wound it again with the mirror up it fixed itself.

XTimmy fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 14, 2015

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

Found your issue.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

pootiebigwang posted:

Found your issue.
I like my 645 :colbert:

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

krnhotwings posted:

I like my 645 :colbert:

Only a 645 owner would say that.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

May by dorkasaurus_rex, on Flickr

dorkasaurus_rex fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 18, 2015

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
I'll let someone else say it.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
You're too pink and I don't understand ansel autisms Art.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

_DSC8105 by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

I'm not entirely convinced this isn't a painting.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

bobmarleysghost posted:

Nah, I hated my 645 when I owned it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Pukestain Pal posted:

Heh

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Pukestain Pal posted:

On my cellphone the colours are alright.
Maybe, just maybe, that's her actual skin colour.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

bobmarleysghost posted:

8th-snype posted:

Nah, I hated my 645 when I owned it.
I guess I'm the lone 645 appreciator 'round here.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
645: because you want all of the disadvantages of MF and none of the advantages.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I like those Fuji 645 P&Ss, otherwise the only reason to own one is the Mamiya 80mm f/1.9

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Mar 19, 2015

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
645 is good, the hate for it is unwarranted. You may as well go straight to 6x7 though if you can.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I'd rather shoot with a 645 that I really liked, than a 6x7 that was a pain in the rear end to use, because the size difference isn't that amazing when you compare to 35 or LF. That's purely hypothetical though, as my only MF has been 6x6 and 6x9. My current favorite camera is a 35mm though so I should probably :frogout:

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

8th-snype posted:

the Mamiya 80mm f/1.8f/1.9.
That's what I've got, and I'm pretty disinclined to sell my 645 just 'cause of this lens. To me, a 645 is no different than a 6x6 in that I have no interest in printing square photos, so they'll both end up giving me the same results.

I can see myself getting a Pentax 67, though. I also have a soft spot for RB/Z67 'cause its features are pretty awesome, but I feel like at that point I might as well go big and get a 4x5.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I still want a Fuji GA645, I just want to buy film/paper/chems more than cameras these days.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Has anyone ever used one of the medium format backs for a 4x5? How was it? I'm intrigued by the idea of running Portra through my rail camera for less than $10 a shot.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Chitin posted:

Has anyone ever used one of the medium format backs for a 4x5? How was it? I'm intrigued by the idea of running Portra through my rail camera for less than $10 a shot.

MrBlandAverage posted:

I got a Sinar Zoom. It's a rollfilm back for 4x5 that can do 645, 6x6, 6x7, 6x9, and 6x12 all on the same roll of film, with automatic frame spacing. It has an integrated metal curtain darkslide that automatically opens to the right frame width - but won't let you open the darkslide unless the back is actually on a camera. It also fits under a spring back, despite having much, much better film flatness than the Calumet backs with the same form factor. In short, it rules. They're normally $1000+ in the US but I got a deal on this one because it has some normal wear and didn't come with the viewfinder mask, which is OK with me because I don't have a Sinar camera to use it on, and because my Chamonix already has rollfilm framelines on the ground glass.

I'm really enjoying using it so far.

Service Steel by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Vigor Industrial by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

There's also the Sinar Vario (older, doesn't let you change formats in the middle of a roll) and the Sinar Zoom 2 (newer, doesn't have the slots for Graflok usage, supposedly more robust because the darkslide is a sheet instead of flexible curtains) but this was definitely the best bang for the buck for me.

There's also a variety of cheaper rollfilm backs, including the Graflex RH10 and RH20, each of which I also own. The one thing to watch out for is anything that would make the film plane not be in the same place. Using the Graflok tabs on my Chamonix tends to help this a lot. Does your rail camera have a Graflok-compatible back?

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

I think so - it's an old Toyo View rail camera. Graflex means the metal tabs that slide diagonally to hold the ground glass, correct? I inherited the camera so don't know a ton about it.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Chitin posted:

I think so - it's an old Toyo View rail camera. Graflex means the metal tabs that slide diagonally to hold the ground glass, correct? I inherited the camera so don't know a ton about it.

Those are probably the Graflok tabs, yes.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

Great, so I'm seeing what seems to be two possible styles - one that slides in like a 4x5 holder, which i get, and one that looks like a roll film back, which I don't understand, possibly because I've never used a medium format camera. If replace the ground glass back, what am I framing and focusing from? Does the roll film back swing out or something?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Chitin posted:

Great, so I'm seeing what seems to be two possible styles - one that slides in like a 4x5 holder, which i get, and one that looks like a roll film back, which I don't understand, possibly because I've never used a medium format camera. If replace the ground glass back, what am I framing and focusing from? Does the roll film back swing out or something?

With the Graflok rollfilm backs you compose and focus, then you take the ground glass off, put on the rollfilm back, and secure it in place with the Graflok tabs.

Some of the slide-in rollfilm backs (the Calumet in particular) are known for really bad film flatness. Don't bother with those. The Sinar Zoom is the only one I know of that's worthwhile.

MrBlandAverage fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 21, 2015

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

Ah, got it. That's helpful, thanks!

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009
iron by PC-P, on Flickr

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Apoxyomenos, Musei Vaticani by alkanphel, on Flickr

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Anyone have any solutions on lubricating their 4x5 holders so you don't have to force the slide back in? Or any other ways to avoid that?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Anyone have any solutions on lubricating their 4x5 holders so you don't have to force the slide back in? Or any other ways to avoid that?

Clean the darkslides thoroughly. You could also do what I've done, which is buy newer holders with plastic darkslides exclusively.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

MrBlandAverage posted:

Clean the darkslides thoroughly. You could also do what I've done, which is buy newer holders with plastic darkslides exclusively.

The new Toyo ones are really good but expensive!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
More 6x7

Floraco, West Leederville, March 2015 by Simon Deadman, on Flickr

I don't usually PP portra like this but it really can pop if you up the contrast.

• Locked thread