Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Pureauthor posted:

What do Supreme Kais even do? The 4 King Kais apparently oversee planets in their respective sectors, and nobody appears to care that the current Supreme Kais is really really bad at his job, whatever it is.

Apparently this how it works. It should be noted that the supreme kai's are also the gods of creation.

quote:

The Supreme Kais once ruled over the entire universe (Other World and living world), with the Grand Supreme Kai overseeing them (the same way that the regular Kais rule over their individual quadrants of the living world, with a Grand Kai in charge of the four of them). They are the Gods of Creation who provide the catalyst for life and planets to be born, as opposed to the Gods of Destruction who destroy life and planets, which maintains the balance of the universe. Supreme Kai are able to provide the impetus for planets to be born; also, they will sometimes divide up one planet and increase the number of planets. They even do things like create life-forms, or transplant them from another planet, but their basic job is to watch over the numerous planets. Because the number of planets is so very large, the four regular Kais help them out as well. The Supreme Kais intervene if it appears that the world's balance will crumble, but normally, they merely act in an advisory role for new life-forms, and do not get involved. The Supreme Kais and the Gods of Destruction go to each other's realms and hold a coordination meeting once every 1,000 years. During one of these meetings, held roughly 75 Million Before Age, they got into an argument over some trifling thing and the short-tempered God of Destruction Beerus sealed Old Kai away inside the Z Sword, as it would not have been proper for him to destroy the Sacred World of the Kais itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Genocyber posted:

They're meant to be the opposite to the God of Destruction; where he destroys they create life.

Also while we're talking about obscure DBZ poo poo one of the cooler things I found out about recently was how Toriyama envisions its universe.

Wheres the dead zone?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
So only North Kai gets the rad Snake Way path to his doorstep.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Genocyber posted:

They're meant to be the opposite to the God of Destruction; where he destroys they create life.

Also while we're talking about obscure DBZ poo poo one of the cooler things I found out about recently was how Toriyama envisions its universe.

That is pretty cool. Anyway from my other post. Supreme Kai's job is to watch over both sides of that Globe. But tend to focus on the top half and the Demon Realm at the bottom while they let the Normal Kai's look after the mortal world.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Pureauthor posted:

So only North Kai gets the rad Snake Way path to his doorstep.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt of it being his idea and part of his training (it was totally a plot device because Goku couldn't really fly yet). Also why are all the planets the same size?

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
This is all kind of stupid. Give me more Goku

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

dr.acula posted:

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt of it being his idea and part of his training (it was totally a plot device because Goku couldn't really fly yet). Also why are all the planets the same size?

He had to get his car to his planet somehow.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I thought the God of Creation was someone who hadn't been revealed yet? I remember Beerus commenting how Goku 'hadn't even met the Creator yet' in Battle of Gods

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Map's not accurate. North kai's planet is still there.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

BattleCattle posted:

Map's not accurate. North kai's planet is still there.

Well it's back in Battle of Gods

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Onmi posted:

North Kai already rebuilt it once after Beerus blew it up.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Onmi posted:

King Kai took out a loan from Kibito Kai, he wanted to take the Snake Way real estate before the West Kai snatched it up.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

So, one of our fellow goons has hearing issues and I've been trying to convince him to watch DBZA, but he says he'll watch it if he can get Closed Captioning for it. Is there any way to get Subtitles or anything for it?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Siegkrow posted:

So, one of our fellow goons has hearing issues and I've been trying to convince him to watch DBZA, but he says he'll watch it if he can get Closed Captioning for it. Is there any way to get Subtitles or anything for it?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x22dk7h_subtitled-tfs-dragonball-z-kai-abridged-parody_fun

Well I found this but it's almost... Crabsticks level

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

[villain growls]

e. I don't know what this "crabsticks" is, but it sounds disappointing.

BattleCattle fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 14, 2015

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
How do you subtitle "right in the tit" to "right in the dick"?

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

It's amazing how they get plenty of fast and complex dialogues perfectly yet fail some of the simplest ones. Also, looks like they aren't allowed to write King Kai's name for some reason.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I was in a team subtitling the show in Castillian a few years ago (which disbanded because we were lazy fuckers) and as the native English speaker of the team it was on me to get it right - and I didn't get "thanks legume ex machina" so I just translated it as "thanks deus ex machina". Years later I finally heard it right and I felt pretty dumb.

I also deliberately translated Dairy Queen as Burger King because no Spaniard alive knows what Dairy Queen is, and people on YouTube yelled at me for being unfaithful to the original ... Which is deliberately unfaithful to the original.

The filtering of DBZ through these various fan efforts is pretty funny.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Those fans are dumb, replacing an obscure reference with a more famous reference is localization 101.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't think some people realise that original doesn't mean "version I saw first".

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Xibanya posted:

I was in a team subtitling the show in Castillian a few years ago (which disbanded because we were lazy fuckers) and as the native English speaker of the team it was on me to get it right - and I didn't get "thanks legume ex machina" so I just translated it as "thanks deus ex machina". Years later I finally heard it right and I felt pretty dumb.

I also deliberately translated Dairy Queen as Burger King because no Spaniard alive knows what Dairy Queen is, and people on YouTube yelled at me for being unfaithful to the original ... Which is deliberately unfaithful to the original.

I didn;'t have any clue what a Dairy Queen was either, I think there's a worse case of that in Hellsing Abridged when they mention that Alucard has trashed the local Diary Queen or some other American chain store that plain doesn't exist over here. But you know, jokes, who cares.

A lot of anime fans get their panties in a bunch so bad if you even mention the word localization to them. Who cares if the Navy were called "Marines" in the original? Nobody actually knows what shichibukai or nakama or yonkou means either you fucks, just translate it!

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Prison Warden posted:

I didn;'t have any clue what a Dairy Queen was either, I think there's a worse case of that in Hellsing Abridged when they mention that Alucard has trashed the local Diary Queen or some other American chain store that plain doesn't exist over here. But you know, jokes, who cares.

A lot of anime fans get their panties in a bunch so bad if you even mention the word localization to them. Who cares if the Navy were called "Marines" in the original? Nobody actually knows what shichibukai or nakama or yonkou means either you fucks, just translate it!

All according to keikaku

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Prison Warden posted:

In a world where 4Kids calls rice balls "hamburgers" and the translation team for the first Persona literally made the characters white, it's understandable a lot of anime fans are defensive, but some, like TV Nihon, go too far with it.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Lord of Pie posted:

All according to keikaku

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WickedHate posted:

In a world where 4Kids calls rice balls "hamburgers" and the translation team for the first Persona literally made the characters white, it's understandable a lot of anime fans are defensive, but some, like TV Nihon, go too far with it.

You have that wrong actually. They made a character black.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

You have that wrong actually. They made a character black.
They made one character black, but considerably lightened the skin of others.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the girl that got turned blonde looks like an impossible vampire

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Xibanya posted:

Hey, could you redirect me to this even if it was incompleted? I'm from Spain and I've been trying to get more people to watch DBZA but the only subtitled videos in YouTube are in south american spanish and those didn't get like half of the jokes.

WickedHate posted:

Reminds me of Raw Danger, a PS2 game where localization made almost every single character blond, the titular city looked like some sort of aryan paradise.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Petiso posted:

Hey, could you redirect me to this even if it was incompleted? I'm from Spain and I've been trying to get more people to watch DBZA but the only subtitled videos in YouTube are in south american spanish and those didn't get like half of the jokes.

Reminds me of Raw Danger, a PS2 game where localization made almost every single character blond, the titular city looked like some sort of aryan paradise.

Yeah, I'd be happy to show it off! I just have to dig up my emails with the team because I can't remember the username of the guy who uploaded the subtitled videos.

And if I can't find it I can just redo the subs...could be a fun project. I tried watching some Latino subs out of curiosity and a lot of them weren't very good.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

WickedHate posted:

That's the other extreme, renaming Dairy Queen into Burger King is good.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

WickedHate posted:

lol the dude in the upper left looks like he was drawn with colored pencil

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
For a long time I thought it was because Alucard trashed a Dairy Queen that there are none in the UK.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
4kids re-drew a onigiri into a sandwich.

The scene was a rolling onigiri. They still redrew it into a sandwich.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Tae posted:

4kids re-drew a onigiri into a sandwich.

The scene was a rolling onigiri. They still redrew it into a sandwich.

Sandwiches don't roll, though. It'd fall apart. This makes little sense.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

So the message is 4kids are great, basically.

Persona 1, not so much.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

BattleCattle posted:

Sandwiches don't roll, though. It'd fall apart. This makes little sense.

It's a vertically rolling submarine sandwich at that.

There's also this.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Aurain posted:

Persona 1, not so much.

This is true even without the weird racial changes. The PSP version ranks as one of the most tedious, dullest games I have ever played.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It's a vertically rolling submarine sandwich at that.

There's also this.

I quit. This is too dumb.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
That sandwich looks nasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Aurain posted:

So the message is 4kids are great, basically.

Persona 1, not so much.

Hfil yeah.

• Locked thread