Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Crackbone posted:

I keep hearing good things about homeland but it's all from bgg echo chamber right now. Sounds great on paper though.

It's legit. I did a post on it a week or so back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

fozzy fosbourne posted:

So what are some good team vs team games?

7 Wonders teams is a neat variant on that game although it doesn't have a ton of interaction to begin with. BSG really feels like a good team game if you are a Cylon and have a strong suspicion of who the other Cylon is, but that doesn't happen every game I think. I haven't tried the Tash-kalar team game.

X-Wing works decently as a team game because you all silently get to pick your dials at the same time.

2v2 high form tash kalar is great and is objectively the best way to play the game with four (or you could get the upgrade pack and have two 1v1 games going side by side but that's outside the scope of the question)

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I'm planning on getting Dominion fairly soon for me and my brother but I don't have the money to get its ten thousand expansions. Are there any absolute must have expansions I should aim for or is the base game sufficient for now?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Super Jay Mann posted:

I'm planning on getting Dominion fairly soon for me and my brother but I don't have the money to get its ten thousand expansions. Are there any absolute must have expansions I should aim for or is the base game sufficient for now?

Base game is sufficient for many, many plays. Get them in order, slowly, skip Alchemy, when that gets a bit stale.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
I consider Intrigue to be a better starter set for Dominion father than the base set.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Fat Turkey posted:

I consider Intrigue to be a better starter set for Dominion father than the base set.

Seconding this. Chapel and Moat can wait.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I wouldn't be scared of backing a kickstarter for a game I know is already a finished product, not a true "help me see this idea to reality" kind of thing. I've backed a couple of Sirlin's kickstarters because he doesn't start them until he has completed, playtested products that merely need to be constructed and shipped out. Plus he's always offered his products free for you to test yourself online. No regrets at all over those, got my stuff on time and before retail, so on so on.

Most kickstarters are for pie-in-the-sky "ideas" and are horrible ideas to back though yeah.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

When I consider a kick-starter, the first thing I look for is a preliminary rulebook. If they don't have rules available or the rules make the game look poorly designed, never back the game.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I heard someone mention Mantic's Dungeon Saga: the Dwarf King's Quest and I wanted to check it out but

http://www.dwarfkingsquest.com/ (link from Mantic's site)

gives me a big fat error. I have checked and re-checked it here and there over a couple weeks or so and no change. So, did this vanish into the shadows and everyone's just kind of looking the other way on this one, or am I the only one who's wondering :confused:

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

golden bubble posted:

When I consider a kick-starter, the first thing I look for is a preliminary rulebook. If they don't have rules available or the rules make the game look poorly designed, never back the game.

In retrospect, I don't think I'm going to do another kickstarter. I'm currently waiting on Amerika and Galaxy of Trion. Perversely, Trion looks like it might make it to my doorstep before Amerika.

Luckily in the latter case, I wasn't aware that it was a kickstarter project, and preordered it through fieldmarshall game's website. Which means I can get a refund. Unlike the poor bastards who kickstarted it.

I did get other products from those guys, and they're supposedly trustworthy, but the screwed up my order, and are making no effort to let anyone know what's up. In fact, just to get progress reports on the game's readiness to ship, you have to be already be a kickstarter backer. They occasionally post comments on the kickstarter which are not even hinted at on their main site.

Meanwhile their main site continues to advertise the game as if it already exists--right along side their various Axis Allies accessories.

If I sound frustrated it's because I am. Given how many real games exist that I can just go and buy, I think I'm done kickstarting unless I expect the money to be flushed down a toilet--and it's still ok.

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

Sloober posted:

Does that actually make Zombies!!! good or are you just searching for ways to have it not suck as much as the base game does

I like playing Zombies!!! :shrug:

The D&D monster at the end is just to make winning a little harder the getting to the helipad

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Lorini posted:

Seconding this. Chapel and Moat can wait.

Intrigue is a LOT more vicious than the base set, is the only thing to bear in mind, and things like Saboteur (despite being really a lovely card) can kind of spoil the mood.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

Intrigue is a LOT more vicious than the base set, is the only thing to bear in mind, and things like Saboteur (despite being really a lovely card) can kind of spoil the mood.

Agreed, start with the kid's gloves and then unleash intrigue.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I actually think the learning experience in base Dominion is incredibly valuable. Intrigue always seems like a better version of the base set with the luxury of hindsight but at the time I still thought Dominion was incredibly fresh and exciting.

I guess it depends on whether you have played the game with any other people, or even read any of the theory (or I guess at this point played any other deck builders). If you are going in totally fresh to the game and genre, get the base game, if you have some experience, get Intrigue.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Guy A. Person posted:

I actually think the learning experience in base Dominion is incredibly valuable. Intrigue always seems like a better version of the base set with the luxury of hindsight but at the time I still thought Dominion was incredibly fresh and exciting.

Yeah, I agree with this. Coming from the perspective of somebody who dived headfirst down the Dominion rabbithole only a few months ago, the base game was interesting enough to survive quite a lot of plays with my friends, the base set is fairly basic in hindsight but a new player will still be able to find a lot to do with it while they get to grips with the game. We sure did. Then once we decided that we wanted to see what the expansions were like, we got Intrigue. It loving blew us away with just how crazy all those new cards were, but I don't think we'd have appreciated it as much without the more basic base set to ease us into it all.

dominion is a hella good game ya'll

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

fozzy fosbourne posted:

So what are some good team vs team games?

Any other team vs team games/variants? Seems like their ought to be some cool poo poo.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Ladies & Gentlemen is a 2p team asymmetrical game that plays up to 10 people (5 teams)

looks boss, but I havent gotten it to the table yet.

team games are generally hidden role games, so look for that poo poo. stuff like 2 rooms/booms, resistance, werewolf

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Any other team vs team games/variants? Seems like their ought to be some cool poo poo.

There's really a lack of good team games, especially if you remove "a paragraph in the back of the manual as a barely-tested variant" as an option, and especially if you remove party/traitor games. I actually set out to design a euro-style game that was 2v2 from the get-go last year but got sidetracked because school and other things. I don't know why it's such an ignored thing, I guess because slapping "plays 2-5" on the side of the box is going to get more people interested (or at least more publishers). It's a shame too because team games are some of my favorites.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I played a game of ladies and gentleman, I was a lady, I thought it was really fun and interesting. It's like you're playing a game against all the ladies, and the gentlemen are all playing a game against each other, and then also you're playing a game with your partner where you're working together, but you've each got secret information from each other that can cause things to not go as planned.

E: I know I'm about to plug a kickstarter but Between Two Cities looks like a really interesting group/coop game. One set will get you to 7 players, and I'm fairly certain the designers have said that you could easily put two copies together and get up to 14 players. Turns are simultaneous so number of players shouldn't too much effect on game length. The idea is that you're building two cities, one with the person on your left, one with the person on your right, and at the end the winner is the person whose lowest scoring city is the highest. So you can't sabotage one side to beef up the other, you have to really work to build up both of your cities.

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 13, 2015

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Ladies and Gentlemen was the first time I ever felt genuinely bad about doing poorly in a game. Other games I can laugh off when I gently caress up but when I find it unnerving when I have to explain that the stock market isn't quite cooperating.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I really need to get that fucker on the table, then. the fact that it's adorable doesn't hurt in the least.

we bought dollar store tiny tophats and tiaras to get more in the mood. (also stick on mustaches and necklaces)

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Broken Loose posted:

Licensed games are basically a coin flip in board gaming. There are some legitimately good licensed games (BSG, Rampage if it counts)
Rampage doesn't count any more, they've renamed it Terror in Meeple City :(

Lord Frisk posted:

Ladies & Gentlemen is a 2p team asymmetrical game that plays up to 10 people (5 teams)

looks boss, but I havent gotten it to the table yet.

team games are generally hidden role games, so look for that poo poo. stuff like 2 rooms/booms, resistance, werewolf
I played Ladies and Gentlemen recently, toughest thing about that game is teaching it. I don't quite know what niche it fills though, apart from being able to play up to 10 people while still being a decent strategic game. Maybe that's enough though.

bobvonunheil fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 13, 2015

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

bobvonunheil posted:

Rampage doesn't count any more, they've renamed it Terror in Meeple City :(

your avatar link is broken. :ssh:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Lord Frisk posted:

I really need to get that fucker on the table, then. the fact that it's adorable doesn't hurt in the least.

we bought dollar store tiny tophats and tiaras to get more in the mood. (also stick on mustaches and necklaces)

Yeah you can't help but get into character in that game. Honestly, this Penny Arcade comic is a pretty accurate representation of what it's like to play the game.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Lord Frisk posted:

your avatar link is broken. :ssh:

Aw man, that sucks. Coulda sworn it worked last week, unless someone changed it for me.

Not sure how I felt about having my avatar link to my blog anyway, it's probably for the best.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

thespaceinvader posted:

What we found with the base set only was that newbies didn't understand Chapel at all and always wanted Moat in the game. I think Intrigue gives a new player a better look at the game.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

FISHMANPET posted:

Yeah you can't help but get into character in that game. Honestly, this Penny Arcade comic is a pretty accurate representation of what it's like to play the game.

Yeah, my housemate and I have enjoyed Ladies and Gentlemen a lot and wish we could get it to the table more frequently.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Has anyone played ladies and gentlemen with 4 and have an opinion? I played it with 6 and enjoyed it but I'm interested to know if it can actually support 4.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Lorini posted:

What we found with the base set only was that newbies didn't understand Chapel at all and always wanted Moat in the game. I think Intrigue gives a new player a better look at the game.

Newbies not understanding Chapel is a GREAT reason to play with it, not a reason to ignore it. Understanding the value of trashing in deckbuilders is key to understanding how to play deckbuilders in general - and whilst Intrigue has a solid trasher (Steward), Chapel is the the ur-card for learning why spending an entire turn burning alll your estates and a copper is an amazingly good move. It's a counter-intuitive thing that takes a bit of a leap of logic, but one you learn it it's like :aaaaa:

E: on another note... how does Tzolk'in actually WORK? I just got my rear end handed to me on BGA by someone who seemed to have a strat built entirely around filling up the yellow gear and infinitely interconverting resources into corn and back in a manner which seemed to end up infinitely increasing his stuff, and paying for everything. I resigned, I'm still not quite sure what he actually did. I really don't get this game yet.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 14, 2015

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

thespaceinvader posted:

Newbies not understanding Chapel is a GREAT reason to play with it, not a reason to ignore it. Understanding the value of trashing in deckbuilders is key to understanding how to play deckbuilders in general - and whilst Intrigue has a solid trasher (Steward), Chapel is the the ur-card for learning why spending an entire turn burning alll your estates and a copper is an amazingly good move. It's a counter-intuitive thing that takes a bit of a leap of logic, but one you learn it it's like :aaaaa:

E: on another note... how does Tzolk'in actually WORK? I just got my rear end handed to me on BGA by someone who seemed to have a strat built entirely around filling up the yellow gear and infinitely interconverting resources into corn and back in a manner which seemed to end up infinitely increasing his stuff, and paying for everything. I resigned, I'm still not quite sure what he actually did. I really don't get this game yet.

It has some very, very powerful degen strats that can beat people outright if they don't know how the game works.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Taste the Rainbugh posted:

I like playing Zombies!!! :shrug:

The D&D monster at the end is just to make winning a little harder the getting to the helipad

Well in that case forget anything anyone ever warned you about here, back every kickstarter, you're clearly the target audience.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
I played Intrigue as my first introduction to Dominion and I didn't find it too hard or anything compared to the base.

Yeah, I don't know what the killer tactic is in Tzolkin but I've seen some people really spend ages changing resources and get high scores. Its why I generally play 3-4 player.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I just get as many skulls as I can and do the religion track. It's pretty solid and I've won most of the handful of games I've played of it. gently caress feeding people, MORE SKULLS!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Just played Myth with the new rules. It's pretty easy to learn now that they have someone from FFG writing the rulebook. Also, fun.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I hear there are two versions of Tash Kalar.

How much does it matter which one I get? Is one of significantly lower quality, or missing something, to the point that it really matters which version I buy?

And if it matters, how do you tell them apart?

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

The latest one has much better component quality, I would hold out if you can't find it.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

ConfusedUs posted:

I hear there are two versions of Tash Kalar.

How much does it matter which one I get? Is one of significantly lower quality, or missing something, to the point that it really matters which version I buy?

And if it matters, how do you tell them apart?

The one that just has the Czech Games Edition logo on the front has better quality components than the one with their logo and Z-Man games.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Countblanc posted:

There's really a lack of good team games, especially if you remove "a paragraph in the back of the manual as a barely-tested variant" as an option, and especially if you remove party/traitor games. I actually set out to design a euro-style game that was 2v2 from the get-go last year but got sidetracked because school and other things. I don't know why it's such an ignored thing, I guess because slapping "plays 2-5" on the side of the box is going to get more people interested (or at least more publishers). It's a shame too because team games are some of my favorites.

Yeah, I suppose it makes sense. A game designed to be a team game from the ground up is probably limiting it's audience a bit since it would either:
- need 4p or 6p
or
- need to work well with unbalanced teams (which is going to be hard to design)

Another factor is that there just aren't that many team designs to start with as a point of reference and a lot of board games are derivative of an earlier design with an innovative mechanic or two.

There's also the quarterbacking problem.

That said, it seems like an underrepresented niche (with the exception of social deduction games).

Anyways, looks like this was asked about 3-4 times on BGG in the last couple weeks (https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/18600641#18600641) and here are some more games:
Tichu. forgot this
Space Cadets: Dice Duel, is this any good? Seems like some people like this that didn't care for the original
Puzzle Strike variant. Is this bolted on or does it actually have teamwork and stuff? does it suffer from "zero-playtesting variant in the back of rule book syndrome"?
Cyclades: Titans, I heard this was good.
Innovation, Impulse. Haven't tried these 2v2 but wonder if they are bolted on etc.
Stronghold, any good?

Also there's this list but not a lot of sexy stuff on here that hasn't been mentioned: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/175929/list-team-based-board-games-2v2-3v3-2v2v2-etc/page/2

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Puzzle Strike's team variant is certainly pasted on, but it doesn't feel untested, if that makes sense. It might just be a product of PS's heavy playtesting though.

Stronghold is a super cool game that is basically most similar to what I'd want my team-based game to be, in that it's euro mechanics with some cool resource ideas. There's a SU&SD video that talks about it and it's from the age where SU&SD is still pretty solid. Their chief criticism is actually what I think is one of the games strong suits, but it's still decent enough:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1WukBfMqLM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
So what're the problems with DC Deckbuilder? I've never played it, but a guy at my weekly games night raves about it.
Any massively degenerate strategies or just poor design all around?