Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Chase just sent me a new Amazon Visa card with Chip & Sig.

Which reminds me, back to the eternal question, any new American Chip & Pin cards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Cacafuego posted:

It's becoming the AAviator MC which will be unavailable for anyone but current USAir Barclaycard holders. And I believe all purchases are 2x miles until June on this card through the transition.
1.5x. There's a 50% promo.

FISHMANPET posted:

Which reminds me, back to the eternal question, any new American Chip & Pin cards?
The American AAviator card has Chip+PIN, although Chip+Sig is preferred.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Looks like there's no way to get the AAviator card unlesss you already have a US Airways card? Also, $85 annual fee.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Cacafuego posted:

e: Is anyone familiar with Amex Serve? Is the monthly online load limit refreshed on the beginning of the calendar month?
I started using it last month. It's refreshed on the first of the calendar month. I use it to pay my power bill now, if I could load over a grand I'd pay rent too...

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

FISHMANPET posted:

Looks like there's no way to get the AAviator card unlesss you already have a US Airways card? Also, $85 annual fee.
This is correct, although there is still a little bit of time to apply for the US Airways card. The USAir card comes with 50,000 miles with basically no minimum spend, so that's not a bad return.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

SiGmA_X posted:

I started using it last month. It's refreshed on the first of the calendar month. I use it to pay my power bill now, if I could load over a grand I'd pay rent too...

MS it! It's not difficult

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Cacafuego posted:

MS it! It's not difficult
How do I load over 1k/mo onto a Serve card? Do tell!! I already transferred the rest of the money back to my checking account and then paid my cc off. But id love to do a few grand vs one

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 13, 2015

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008
You better hurry, Serve is shutting down CC loads online for non-Amex cards on 4/16.

Most Amex cards don't earn any points when used for Serve, though some third-party Amex cards (FIA 2% Amex, etc.) apparently do.

quote:

Note: Starting April 16, 2015 you will only be able to use an American Express® Card if you want to load your account with a credit card. Discover, MasterCard and Visa credit cards will no longer be supported after April 16.

Bisty Q. fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 14, 2015

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

FISHMANPET posted:

Chase just sent me a new Amazon Visa card with Chip & Sig.

What do Chip, Sig and Pin mean?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Bisty Q. posted:

You better hurry, Serve is shutting down CC loads online for non-Amex cards on 4/1.

Most Amex cards don't earn any points when used for Serve, though some third-party Amex cards (FIA 2% Amex, etc.) apparently do.
Disappointing, but it sounds like 4/16/15 from your quote, which is better than 4/1/15. I can load another grand in the first week of April. I need to get on the RedCard Prepaid bandwagon (aka harass my friend to have his mom send me one.. Its been a month since she said she would!)

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Bisty Q. posted:

You better hurry, Serve is shutting down CC loads online for non-Amex cards on 4/1.

drat, that must've literally happened today, I hadn't read anything about it as of yesterday. I'll stop at target and get a redcard when I'm in PA soon.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

SiGmA_X posted:

Disappointing, but it sounds like 4/16/15 from your quote, which is better than 4/1/15. I can load another grand in the first week of April. I need to get on the RedCard Prepaid bandwagon (aka harass my friend to have his mom send me one.. Its been a month since she said she would!)

Yeah, I missed the 6. No redbirds in my area, and none in the areas I travel either. It's a conspiracy against big cities.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz

Small White Dragon posted:

"Within the next thirty days" so possibly sooner than that.

You're right, looks like the cut off to apply for the US Airways MC is March 20.

Put my app in today and wasn't instantly approved. For whatever reason Barclaycard hates me.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

1.5x. There's a 50% promo.

I got mail saying I need to register for this promo online, and that a sidebar ad would just show up for me on my account page to do so, but so far I haven't seen anything :saddowns:

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

pig slut lisa posted:

I got mail saying I need to register for this promo online, and that a sidebar ad would just show up for me on my account page to do so, but so far I haven't seen anything :saddowns:
I believe the mailer said you can register for it by phone, too.

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows

nickutz posted:

You're right, looks like the cut off to apply for the US Airways MC is March 20.

Put my app in today and wasn't instantly approved. For whatever reason Barclaycard hates me.

Barclaycard used to be incredibly easy to get cards from, but there were definitely people it just plain didn't like, AND it's supposedly gotten a lot harder to get cards from. They're also pretty well known for shutting down cards that get no usage without any warning whatsoever.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
http://www.amazon.com/Discover-test_model-it%C2%AE/dp/B00AW3IXZO

There is still that $100 Amazon gift card offer for Discover card.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Insane Totoro posted:

Does this card publish what all the quarterly bonuses for the year are or do you have to wait for them to cycle to see?

e: found this page which I guess is the right list for them.

baram. fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 16, 2015

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

I believe the mailer said you can register for it by phone, too.

Thanks. I called and apparently I already registered for this back in February :confuoot:

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Insane Totoro posted:

Oh excellent, thanks!

Will Rice
Jun 6, 2006
Will Sweep!
I just applied and was approved for the citibank thank you preferred card, but on the approval page, they noted that my lack of ongoing loan payments was a mark against my credit card. Is it really the case that having no loan payments is slightly harmful to your credit score?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Will Rice posted:

I just applied and was approved for the citibank thank you preferred card, but on the approval page, they noted that my lack of ongoing loan payments was a mark against my credit card. Is it really the case that having no loan payments is slightly harmful to your credit score?
Wouldn't surprise me based on how many bankers (low level, teller level) think you have to have a loan always to have a good score. Don't go get a loan because of that.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Paying back a loan reliably seems like it is something that should be in a credit score. To be honest.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Will Rice posted:

In my experience, many of the application websites automatically tell you "3 reasons your score isn't higher" or whatever, regardless of your actual creditworthiness. For instance, during my last application the card provider site said my score is lower than it otherwise would be since I "don't have several types of credit". And it's true, my score would probably be higher if I was paying off a mortgage, an auto loan, etc. But my credit score was 801 at the time of that application, so it was really just the computer program identifying my three "worst" features, even though they aren't "bad" at all in my case.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

smackfu posted:

Paying back a loan reliably seems like it is something that should be in a credit score. To be honest.
Yes, but you shouldn't need an ongoing payment, I'd take the reduced score for not having to pay interest personally... FICO is trying to keep us in debt. That is what they make money on though, isn't it.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
The easiest way to show that someone is capable of making regular payments on a debt is to see them making regular payments on a debt.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
A credit card that you pay off on time in full is a debt that affects your credit score.

A 9000% APR school/house/car loan doesn't magically raise it higher in a significant way.

Will Rice
Jun 6, 2006
Will Sweep!

SiGmA_X posted:

Wouldn't surprise me based on how many bankers (low level, teller level) think you have to have a loan always to have a good score. Don't go get a loan because of that.

Oh no, I just thought it was stupid since I just paid off my student loans.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

pig slut lisa posted:

In my experience, many of the application websites automatically tell you "3 reasons your score isn't higher" or whatever, regardless of your actual creditworthiness. For instance, during my last application the card provider site said my score is lower than it otherwise would be since I "don't have several types of credit". And it's true, my score would probably be higher if I was paying off a mortgage, an auto loan, etc. But my credit score was 801 at the time of that application, so it was really just the computer program identifying my three "worst" features, even though they aren't "bad" at all in my case.

Discover even says that - see the text in blue.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
The new Amazon Store Credit Card is going to be 5% cashback on all Amazon.com purchases, but only if you are an Amazon Prime member. It doesn't seem to earn rewards at all on purchases outside of Amazon. Planning on adding it to the OP soon but I'm curious what's happening to the old Amazon credit card. Is it staying the same, being closed, or being converted?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I think they've always had a store card as a separate product from the Chase Amazon card.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

FISHMANPET posted:

I think they've always had a store card as a separate product from the Chase Amazon card.
This is correct. I haven't received notice about any changes for my Amazon Chase card.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Bisty Q. posted:

Discover even says that - see the text in blue.

Ha. That looks almost exactly like what I saw with the US Airways Barclaycard (I think anyway), except without the last two sentences in that informative blue paragraph. Good for Discover!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

THF13 posted:

The new Amazon Store Credit Card is going to be 5% cashback on all Amazon.com purchases, but only if you are an Amazon Prime member. It doesn't seem to earn rewards at all on purchases outside of Amazon. Planning on adding it to the OP soon but I'm curious what's happening to the old Amazon credit card. Is it staying the same, being closed, or being converted?

Fine print says that all cards will be upgraded. This is a nice deal and I spend a big chunk on Amazon. At $.05 that is more valuable than SPG points. Looks like I need to find my Amazon Store card #. Don't think I ever received a physical card and it's asking for the acct #.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Joined the Redbird club today. Hopefully I get my new card before the month end so I can finish off my Chase Sapphire Preferred bonus. I had to load with $5 cash because my initial cc load of $500 was rejected as suspicious activity and I didn't have time to wait for the email, confirm my identity as I had a plane to catch. When I called ahead to see if the Target had the cards, the lady was very short with me and basically scolded me pre-emptively with a "you are only allowed to buy one." Fat Wallet loving buffons once again ruining things for everyone, I assume.

TraderStav posted:

Fine print says that all cards will be upgraded. This is a nice deal and I spend a big chunk on Amazon. At $.05 that is more valuable than SPG points. Looks like I need to find my Amazon Store card #. Don't think I ever received a physical card and it's asking for the acct #.

If a person is flush with cash and makes regular purchases on Amazon, they can buy the gift cards when Freedom does 5% back on Grocery Stores and Gas Stations. That's basically 3/4ths of the year covered (since the last quarter is Amazon itself) without needing Prime so long as you're normally not capping out at the bonus limit.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 17, 2015

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

You could also just use the Sallie Mae card that gives 5% back at Amazon up to $750/mo, which is a stupidly high limit imo. Plus the 5% back at gas stations and grocery stores up to $250/mo each.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

After reading in this thread that the US Airways MasterCard might be going away today, I went ahead and applied for it last night, despite the fact that I just got my Arrival Plus a month ago. Application couldn't be approved immediately (which is what I expected), so I called the reconsideration line this morning. Got the card approved, looking forward to putting it through its paces. So if you're thinking about applying but have recently opened an account with Barclaycard, they are definitely open to letting you have two cards in the same month. Whether your circumstances are the same as mine, I couldn't tell you. But it can't hurt (much) to try.

While on the phone, I mentioned that the reason I applied so soon was that I heard it might be going away soon. I was told "yeah, we're only accepting applications for this card for a few more months". Could be that they didn't know when it's going away and had heard "in a few months" a few months ago, could be that it's not quite dead yet.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

becoming posted:

After reading in this thread that the US Airways MasterCard might be going away today, I went ahead and applied for it last night, despite the fact that I just got my Arrival Plus a month ago. Application couldn't be approved immediately (which is what I expected), so I called the reconsideration line this morning. Got the card approved, looking forward to putting it through its paces. So if you're thinking about applying but have recently opened an account with Barclaycard, they are definitely open to letting you have two cards in the same month. Whether your circumstances are the same as mine, I couldn't tell you. But it can't hurt (much) to try.

While on the phone, I mentioned that the reason I applied so soon was that I heard it might be going away soon. I was told "yeah, we're only accepting applications for this card for a few more months". Could be that they didn't know when it's going away and had heard "in a few months" a few months ago, could be that it's not quite dead yet.

What is the reason for the urgency to get in on the card before it closes? A lost opportunity to get the sign on bonus since there'll be one less card in the mix? I don't generally use AA or USA so not sure if I should be interested/concerned.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

TraderStav posted:

What is the reason for the urgency to get in on the card before it closes? A lost opportunity to get the sign on bonus since there'll be one less card in the mix? I don't generally use AA or USA so not sure if I should be interested/concerned.

The signup bonus is pretty solid: 50,000 miles for making a purchase and paying the annual fee ($89). I occasionally fly US Airways, so this was pretty much a no-brainer for me. If you don't, you'll have to decide whether you would fly them for $89. 50,000 miles is good for two round-trip CONUS tickets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Credit karma has a bunch of reviews saying those 50,000 miles are basically worthless.