Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It definitely includes Sherpas. For gently caress's sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

Leperflesh posted:

It definitely includes Sherpas. For gently caress's sake.

I was mocking the way Sherpas are often forgotten in the West not actually suggesting they should be.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

StoneOfShame posted:

I was mocking the way Sherpas are often forgotten in the West not actually suggesting they should be.

I did include them, but had I not it would have been for the opposite reason; not because their deaths don't count, but because their deaths are tragic workplace accidents of people working in difficult conditions to support their families rather than stupid rich people taking unnecessary risks for no good reason.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

The North Tower posted:

Can we get a kill count in the OP?

I'll try and get round to making a sweepstake chart type thing today.

Here's a chart from that BBC article.

Also, there is actually a board game based around K2, called K2! We have it, it's pretty good.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Rondette posted:

I'll try and get round to making a sweepstake chart type thing today.

Here's a chart from that BBC article.

Also, there is actually a board game based around K2, called K2! We have it, it's pretty good.

Awesome! I'm hoping 0 sherpas and only rich, over-enthusiastic assholes die this year. Can we keep the polls open until the first death, and then record the guesses in the OP, too?

Redlettermedia's Previously Recorded did a live play of K2, in case anyone wants to see what it's like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he35eSvdqPc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1D38ToO9DE

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
For clarification, my "all of them" only includes rich assholes and not Sherpas.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Let's make this real! Rondette feel free to add this to the OP:

Everest Deaths 2015 Guessing Contest!!!

Rules are:
Guesses count both climbers and sherpas, Tibetan and Nepalese sides per Josef K. Sourdust's original guess:

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Sweepstakes on the number of dead this season? Any number between 0 and 100 (incl. climbers and sherpas, both Tibetan and Nepalese sides)? My pick 41 total.

Participants are able to enter and change the death estimate up until the first death's earliest announcement on any media channel that can be verified online. Contest ends on New Years Day 2016 at whatever time zone Everest Base Camp Nepal is in. One guess per participant.

I will contribute a prize of: your choice of Everest-related book (priced under $20--if you have every book then we can do something mountianeering-related) for anyone who guesses the correct number of people who die in 2015. Up to 3 guesses allowed for each number of deaths unless other people would like to step up and help with the book purchasing. If you win and are outside of where I can reasonably ship to via Amazon, we will figure out another way to get you a prize.

If anyone else would like to sponsor, we can also have bonus prizes for exact guesses, and maybe even some more prizes if anyone else has some good ideas/would like to sponsor.

Deaths must be at base camp or higher, and incidents such as dying from HAPE/HACE or getting killed by Sherpas and/or terrorists in Base Camp will count. Deaths caused by incidents at Base Camp or higher, in which the idiot victim dies below Base Camp within the contest time clock still count.

Any changes to the post of your last official guess made after the first death will make your guess void. Please post in this thread, and not in a PM, if you have an update for a guess.

The North Tower fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Mar 14, 2015

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

In for six after looking at that chart above.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Current bets chart for the Everest Deaths 2015 Guessing Contest!!!

Disclaimer
I will update this at whatever time I check in on this thread. First come, first serve on 3 guesses per death count. I locked in pre-rules guesses at their highest values (because I'm an optimist) for now so that early guessers can at the very least participate. Please update your numbers in a new post, because I am probably not going to re-read the thread.

enziarro, bonus for 3 dead climbers, sherpa quintuplets

stab

Zo

Pick
HEY VAPER

SaltLick
SteveVizsla

3s are all taken for now
Pale Ale, with a bonus for all climbers, no sherpas
Demonachizer, with a bonus if one of them is a Count
Gripen5, with a bonus for 1 sherpa, 2 climbers

4s are all taken for now
Minrad
captainobliviou, with a bonus for K2 having more than Everest
Bunnita

5s are all taken for now
Angela Christine
polpotpotpotpotpot
I Greyhound, with a bonus for all climbers, no sherpas

6s are all taken
Dely Apple
Grim Up North
StoneOfShame, with a bonus of Alyssa Azar being one of the deaths

7s are all taken for now
elwood
The North Tower
redreader:
<8 (Caltrain deaths as of the end of the day March 13, 2015, PST) - (please pick an exact number to be eligible for the prize--locking you in at 7 for now)

8s are all taken for now
LongDarkNight
Ogive
mistressminako

9s are all taken for now
Plinkey
Fatkraken, with a bonus for 6 on the Tibetan side and 3 from the Nepalese side
Catpain Slack, with a bonus for 2 sherpas and 7 climbers

10s are all taken for now
Chris!
effervescible
lilljonas, with a bonus for 2 sherpas and 8 climbers

11s are all taken for now
Doctor Schnabel
Paramemetic
Default Settings, with a bonus for one being spectacularly stupid

12s are all taken for now
Rondette
Catpain Slack:
2-12 (2D6), with a bonus for all climbers (please pick an exact number to be eligible for the prize) - locking you in at 12 unless you change it
spinst, with a bonus for 2 sherpas, 10 climbers

13s are all taken for now
Man Whore
littleorv
I Own Soulz

14s are all taken
Crusty Nutsack
Lolance, with a bonus for 2 sherpas and 12 climbers
Nuggan

The Fuzzy Hulk
Van Kraken

dirtycajun
Hijo Del Helmsley

17s are all taken for now
Picnic Princess
ranbo das
Sanguinary Novel, with a bonus for 2 sherpas, 15 climbers

gggiiimmmppp, all climbers

Daedra

BaronVonVaderham, 5 sherpas 17 climbers

26s are all taken for now
Leperflesh
Stoat
Germstore:
2-26 (1D6+1D20) (please pick an exact number to be eligible for the prize, and also pick your bonus, since 1D6 sherpa and 1D20 climbers is too vague) - locking you in at 26 for now unless you change it

Gehenomm, all climbers

Josef K. Sourdust

Happy Hedonist:

Butt Wizard:
Everyone except for the sherpa (approximately 7.025 billion (current estimated population minus 100,000 sherpa))

DumbparameciuM:

DumbparameciuM posted:

someone delirious with mountain sickness suplexes their sherpa off the Lhotse Face.
DumbparameciuM, you will receive a WWE action figure of your choice (up to $20) if this happens, regardless of the number of deaths, since I appreciate your imagination. You may also pick a number to be eligible for a prize.

EXTRA EXTRA!!
Our very own Rondette has contributed a prize for up to all three winners!:

Rondette posted:

I will draw whoever guesses the right amount on the summit of Everest wearing the thread's mascot yellow snowsuit being victorious in whichever way they see fit. Probably done in this sort of style (obligatory plug)

We are still looking for someone to contribute a bonus prize if the exact split of sherpas/climbers or Nepalese/Tibetan side is guessed correctly by one of the winners. If you have an idea or would like to contribute, please let us know!

The North Tower fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 14, 2015

Pale Ale
Sep 10, 2001

Yeah I know that but do you honestly expect England to even slightly challenge Australia in the finals? They will be demolished.
Gonna go with 3, all climbers no Sherpas

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
gently caress i cant read make this 10 instead. 2 sherpas.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

lilljonas posted:

In for 9 this year.

9s are currently all taken in the prize pool. 8 would be pleasant, but wouldn't you rather see 10?

Edit: 10, 2 sherpas, 8 climbers updated above

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe
11. One of them will be spectacularly stupid.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Amazing! I'll chuck in a prize - I will draw whoever guesses the right amount on the summit of Everest wearing the thread's mascot yellow snowsuit being victorious in whichever way they see fit. Probably done in this sort of style (obligatory plug)

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Rondette posted:

Amazing! I'll chuck in a prize - I will draw whoever guesses the right amount on the summit of Everest wearing the thread's mascot yellow snowsuit being victorious in whichever way they see fit. Probably done in this sort of style (obligatory plug)

Awesome! To clarify, will you draw all 3, or just the first person to pick? I put the guessers in chronological order for each number of deaths.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I'm saying 15 just to be different.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The North Tower posted:

Awesome! To clarify, will you draw all 3, or just the first person to pick? I put the guessers in chronological order for each number of deaths.

ehhh gently caress it I'll do all three

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
3 ah ah ah
3 deaths on everest ah ah ah

Lolance
Sep 15, 2010
14 - 2 Sherpas, 12 tourists.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Pretty sure its gonna be 0

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons
I feel like there's going to be another big disaster. Like because of all the people who didn't get to climb last year, there will be an even bigger line than usual, and the whole snow pack on the top slope of the mountain is just going to shear off because Everest has clearly been in a "gently caress you" mood lately.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
I'll go ahead and stick with 11. Are we including the icefall? I was assuming the icefall.

mistressminako
Aug 4, 2007

Beware the man in the wheelchair lurking off-screen.

I'll go with 8 climbers and 3 Sherpa. I expect at least one person to die as a result of the changed route over the Ice Fall.

To add content: I've enjoyed these last two climbing threads. After busting my ankle ~6 weeks ago on ice; the thought of doing the same or worse on a frozen mountain with little to no chance of rescue is terrifying.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Paramemetic posted:

I'll go ahead and stick with 11. Are we including the icefall? I was assuming the icefall.

Including the icefall! Updated you to 11 and all the new guesses. Everyone, feel free to include either a Sherpa/Climber or Nepalese/Tibetan split, as well.

mistressminako posted:

I'll go with 8 climbers and 3 Sherpa. I expect at least one person to die as a result of the changed route over the Ice Fall.

To add content: I've enjoyed these last two climbing threads. After busting my ankle ~6 weeks ago on ice; the thought of doing the same or worse on a frozen mountain with little to no chance of rescue is terrifying.
All the 11s are taken unless someone changes their guess :(

The North Tower fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Mar 14, 2015

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
Icefall is above base camp, so yes, deaths there would be included.

I'll go with 5, all rich assholes/no sherpas.

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
Going to modify my total to 17 - 15 rich assholes, 2 Sherpas (because of said assholes)

mistressminako
Aug 4, 2007

Beware the man in the wheelchair lurking off-screen.

The North Tower posted:

All the 11s are taken unless someone changes their guess :(
I'll take an 8 then.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I think the mountain had enough Sherpas last year.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

I'm feeling an (un)lucky 13. Go Everest!

Unknowable Hole
Feb 2, 2005

Pillbug
4 Total, I think this is K2's year to shine though and will consider myself wrong unless K2 surpasses Everest.

FreakerByTheSpeaker
Dec 3, 2006

You got your good things
And I've got mine
Got any 8s?

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

I'll go 12. 10 climbers, 2 sherpas.

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol
4 Climbers 1 Sherpa

Itll end up being something stupid. Everyone will be in such a rush to get there but be super cautious because of last year causing some sort of rich yuppie log jam. A fight is going to break out and the one sherpa will die trying to break it up.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

captainoblivious posted:

4 Total, I think this is K2's year to shine though and will consider myself wrong unless K2 surpasses Everest.

I don't know of any expeditions out at k2 this year, anyone know the action?

Also are you counting Pakistani terrorist murders or climbing deaths only for K2?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
1, the mountain isn't hungry any more

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Pick posted:

1, the mountain isn't hungry any more

Mountain isn't hungry, but it's not going to turn down free food...

I'd giggle me tits off if they find a new body that shouldn't be there.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
20 more skulls for skull mountain

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Yea lock me in at 2

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm Dropping my guess from 23 to 13, per contest rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I'm going with 9 tourists. I don't bet on sherpa deaths because they're people and will be missed.

• Locked thread