Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

So what're the problems with DC Deckbuilder? I've never played it, but a guy at my weekly games night raves about it.
Any massively degenerate strategies or just poor design all around?

Never played it but IIRC the most expensive cards are also the strongest AND give the most victory points so it has a ridiculous runaway leader problem.

Also it's as pasted on as a theme gets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

There's always Napoleon's Triumph, which while the team rules do look like they are just a variant footnote in the rules, they work surprisingly well to create a sense of battlefield chaos between field commanders on the same side. See the current pbp.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Bubble-T posted:

Never played it but IIRC the most expensive cards are also the strongest AND give the most victory points so it has a ridiculous runaway leader problem.

Also it's as pasted on as a theme gets.

The random market means there's a ton of luck needed to win, and no strategy. The unlimited actions each turn mean you lay down your hand, and decide what to buy each turn, which is more often than not, the most expensive card. It's boring because there are no meaningful decisions to be made.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I wonder how many of these games with 500-1500 votes and 8.0+ rating would maintain their rating as more people ranked them

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

3 guys at my work probably played 50 games of DC Deckbuilder, and they split the wins probably 50/30/20%. I've played some deckbuilders, and win often at Dominion, but I couldn't compete with them at DC as they got more experienced. Quite often they'd give me funny looks when I blundered something. I don't know how the strategy really works but it does; they had lots of conversations about " remember when we used to think X was overpowered?" and what not.

I don't think it's an amazing game, but I do think it looks worse than it is. Meanwhile, I'd say the opposite about Marvel Legendary, which I think less of every time I play.

And to be clear, none of those guys played more than a few games of, say, the Street Fighter Deckbuilder because they didn't find it as well designed.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

signalnoise posted:

Just played Myth with the new rules. It's pretty easy to learn now that they have someone from FFG writing the rulebook. Also, fun.

How? :magical:

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Hey now, Fire in the Lake is up there and it's great :colbert:

But who knows if more than 1500 people have actually finished it with the full war scenario.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

silvergoose posted:

There's always Napoleon's Triumph, which while the team rules do look like they are just a variant footnote in the rules, they work surprisingly well to create a sense of battlefield chaos between field commanders on the same side. See the current pbp.

C&C Epic Battles is the poster child for team games, and it's just an expansion of the two-player game.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

It's like how Caverna can occupy the 3rd place spot at BGG because it only has 7000 ratings where Agricola has 37,000 :argh:

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Surprised to see Eclipse, Mage Knight and Terra Mystica only having 500-1500 votes apparently?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Rutibex posted:

It's like how Caverna can occupy the 3rd place spot at BGG because it only has 7000 ratings where Agricola has 37,000 :argh:

Time to go vote up Caverna then I guess, to lower the uncertainty about whether or not it's a better game than Agricola

:v:

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Ravendas posted:

Surprised to see Eclipse, Mage Knight and Terra Mystica only having 500-1500 votes apparently?

Na its just a list of games with 8+ ratings sorted by number of votes.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah, there is no way using the advanced search page to filter out games based on maximum number of votes. So I just ran a search with a filter for games with a score of 8 or higher and at least 500 votes and then sorted in ascending order from least votes. The goal is to look at games that currently have a high rating but a low "geek rating" because of their Bayesian average algorithm thingy they use to favor games with more ratings.

My assumption is that games with ~1000 votes suffer some serious selection bias and would usually see their average rating diminish as more and more types of gamers rated them. For example, kickstarter games seem to get flooded with 10 ratings even before the game has actually shipped (with helpful comments in the ratings like "kickstarted").

However, I bet there are a few games that might maintain their rating and crack the BGG top 50 once they get enough votes to overpower their Bayesian boat anchor holding their "geek rating" down. Many games on this list have a higher than average msrp and might not making it out of their shrink wrap.

I'm curious how the following do if a few thousand more people rate them:
Battle of Five Armies
Fire in the Lake
Fields of Arle
Arcadia Quest (kickstarter meh, Eric Lang yeh)
Virgin Queen
Polis (never even heard of this?)
BattleCON: Devasation
Maria
Battlelore 2nd Edition

It's also kind of impressive that ImpAss has cracked the top 50 with only 1700 ratings. That's pretty unusual.

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 14, 2015

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I think the takeaway here is more people need to play Fire in the Lake.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I'm curious how the following do if a few thousand more people rate them:
Battle of Five Armies
Fire in the Lake
Fields of Arle
Arcadia Quest (kickstarter meh, Eric Lang yeh)
Virgin Queen
Polis (never even heard of this?)
BattleCON: Devasation
Maria
Battlelore 2nd Edition

For BattleLore you can factor in the ratings for BattleLore 1st edition and Battles of Westeros, because they're all roughly the same game. Battle of Five Armies is apparently a stripped down War of the Ring, but WotR was made by its balance between the sides - FP were trying to not lose on a military level.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

A lot of that list is war games, which means low player count, high play time and limited market appeal. However, in my experience it means they are better designed games. GMT might make a turd, but I haven't encountered one in the wild.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

What can I say, it works. I haven't read the original rulebook but apparently it was god awful.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

I think the takeaway here is more people need to play Fire in the Lake.

I just set up the game for the sixth time (always short scenario) and for the sixth time I made a mistake. At least I can check that the scores jibe with the board state quickly now. Getting it as your first wargame ever and starting off playing 1v1 or solo as I did was pretty rough, but it was finally enjoyable once I played it 4-player.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Is FitL a good 2-player game? I want something well-designed and wargamey to play with my friend who's a fan of Twilight Struggle.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Bobby The Rookie posted:

Is FitL a good 2-player game? I want something well-designed and wargamey to play with my friend who's a fan of Twilight Struggle.

It works well as a 2-player game but it can be really overwhelming at first. The rules aren't terribly complex, but the breadth of options available to each faction makes it hard to coordinate a strategy unless you're already familiar with the game. 3-player is almost as good as 4-player, though, since there is a lot of overlap in operations and strategy for the NVA and VC.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Countblanc posted:

Puzzle Strike's team variant is certainly pasted on, but it doesn't feel untested, if that makes sense. It might just be a product of PS's heavy playtesting though.

Seconding this. In fact, when we play 4 player PS we tend to play it 2v2.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Hey all, I'm backing a project (not naming it since it's not the KS thread) on KS for a game by NSKN, and they have add-ons in the form of copies of other games they've made. Specifically Praetor, Versailles, and Progress: Evolution of Technology. Now I'm checking a bunch of places for reviews and such, but figured I'd ask what the general goon opinion on these games is? Do you think any of them are worth adding $45 to my pledge per game?

Also if NSKN has a bad rap that would be good to know, but I haven't seen anything of the sort looking around yet so am hoping that's not a problem.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mehuyael posted:

Hey all, I'm backing a project (not naming it since it's not the KS thread) on KS for a game by NSKN, and they have add-ons in the form of copies of other games they've made. Specifically Praetor, Versailles, and Progress: Evolution of Technology. Now I'm checking a bunch of places for reviews and such, but figured I'd ask what the general goon opinion on these games is? Do you think any of them are worth adding $45 to my pledge per game?

Also if NSKN has a bad rap that would be good to know, but I haven't seen anything of the sort looking around yet so am hoping that's not a problem.

Versailles is an excellent variant on worker placement. Your workers never leave the board, instead following paths between locations. The more workers you get into a location the more you can do there, but you can't visit the same location twice in a row. Simple to learn, but rewards forward planning. My only caveat is that it may have a dominant strategy.

Progress: EOT is one of those games that actually fits Dominion's bill of "an engine looking for a game". It's quite enjoyable and fairly quick to play, but interaction is very limited and uniformly indirect. I had it on the table a few times when I first got it but it hasn't been out in a while.

Praetor is the one of the three that I've played least. It's a worker placement game where you score by constructing new locations for workers to be placed. It has a couple of nice twists: you score bonus points for putting locations in spaces where the mosaics in their corners match those they are next to, and your workers provide more resources the more you use them but they will eventually retire and have to be replaced. I really want to play it again, but my group always seem to want to play something else.

None of the three is a bad game, but they're all out at retail and you may be able to find them cheaper online without having to wait six months.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

How likely am I to find something cheaper than 45 (including international shipping to Israel) in retail? I'm not really considering the time it'll take to get the game because with my income the cheaper the better.

I read conflicting reports about whether or not Versailles and Praetor are broken. I'll be honest I'm not sure what to think right now. Oh well, if I'm not sure I just won't put them as addons.

Thanks for the help by the way! Hopefully I'll choose right. I can probably only afford to add one of them so I'm trying to find which of the three is best for me.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mehuyael posted:

How likely am I to find something cheaper than 45 (including international shipping to Israel) in retail?

Oh, you're in Exotic Foreign Climes. In that case you probably won't find them cheaper than $45 online.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

So what're the problems with DC Deckbuilder? I've never played it, but a guy at my weekly games night raves about it.
Any massively degenerate strategies or just poor design all around?

Oh boy, I loving hate that game. This is way late but gently caress it, I want to poo poo on this game.

Ok, so the garbage parts of DC Deckbuilder are, strangely enough, all the parts where it's different from Dominion.

First, in Dominion all the cards you will ever see are right there in front of you, before the game even begins, available to everyone. Meanwhile, DC has a "central market" where, in addition to a few crummy fixed options, a player can buy from 5 totally random cards. Most of the cards you will see throughout the game are hidden in a giant deck; as someone who has played a couple times with experienced players, this is an enormous handicap for newbies. You can't look at what's available and suss out how they can work together, you just have to know the dozens of cards you might see to know the super important combos to look for, which you will also see nearly every game because the composition of the main deck never changes.

Second, in Dominion there is the tension between making a good deck and scoring lots of points. VP cards are either useless during the game, or hybrids that are less useful than a pure action/treature and worth fewer points that a pure VP card. Figuring out when to transition between tuning your deck and buying up points is very important. In DC, just about every card is worth points so there's none of that. Even worse, the more powerful the card, the more points it's worth. This is capstoned by the Supervillain deck, which is stuffed full of super great, super valuable cards and is the game clock.

Third, everyone gets a character, which provides a bonus. They are not balanced. Plus, many of these depend on having lots of a particular type of card, except whether or not you'll ever seen them is, again, random. So good luck playing Batman and never seeing more than two pieces of equipment available when your turn rolls around the entire game when Superman buys every superpower he could possibly want.

Everyone I know who's into it are, or were, hardcore into Magic.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Oh boy, I loving hate that game. This is way late but gently caress it, I want to poo poo on this game.

Everyone I know who's into it are, or were, hardcore into Magic.

Oh hey this was a good post. And yeah, the guy who raves about it is MASSIVELY into magic. Thanks for that.

Shankel Magnus
Jul 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Picked up Chaos in the Old World on recommendation from reading this thread. Just got it to the table for the first time last night and it was an absolute blast. The first game lasted about four hours and ended with a Khorne victory. By the end of that everyone had gotten down the general strategies for each of the gods and we played a second time resulting in a very narrow victory for Slannesh. Everyone was involved and it never felt like anyone was out of the running even down to the very end. This was also the only time I've ever played a board game that lasted that long, and everyone at the table immediately wanted to play again.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
Though I've never had it last that long, usually 2 hours or maybe one and a half, chaos in the old world is one of the few games where I've felt it had the perfect length of time.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

While I'm waiting for my Archipelago order fiasco to get resolved, I went and picked up Pandemic. I immediately want to get the On The Brink expansion to take turns being the cynical gamer.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

How does Cthulhu Wars compare to Chaos in the Old World? Both seem similar in design but which is the better game overall? I haven't seen anything about Cthulhu Wars since it came out

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

How does Cthulhu Wars compare to Chaos in the Old World? Both seem similar in design but which is the better game overall? I haven't seen anything about Cthulhu Wars since it came out

CitOW is $60 retail. CW is $200. CW does not have $140 worth of better gameplay in it.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

CW was ok when I played it.

The minitures are good looking but I found them to be kind of distracting.

The spell book mechanic was kind of neat and trying to get them and which one to take when you could choose one was fun.

Blue seemed a bit to strong when he used his units right.

But the greatest problem for me was the combat. Every figure having just 1 hitpoint didn't feel right and I found it kind of boring. That's my biggest complain with the game.

I would play it again so I don't think it's horrible or bad.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Isn't that X-Men retheme of Spartacus meant to be out soon? I neeeeeed it.

Sinlaeshel
Apr 5, 2009

"I cannot speak English
because I am Japanese
"
I picked up Kemet recently. Reading through the rules, I'm confused about how the extra action tokens work from Act of God and Divine Will. You play 5 action tokens during your turn. Assuming you control both Act of God and Divine Will, does this mean you'll play 15 actions on your turn (re-playing the Act of God and Divine Will tokens each time you place a normal action chip), as long as the Act of God token get played on blank spaces, and Divine Will gets played on the top 2 spaces?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

If you have both act of God and divine will, you will take a total of 7 actions. Once a token is placed on the board, it is not removed until the end of night phase (or whenever reset happens).

As you place an action token, you also place a silver token, taking two actions at once. You will never have more than 5 action phases ever.

Sinlaeshel
Apr 5, 2009

"I cannot speak English
because I am Japanese
"

Lord Frisk posted:

If you have both act of God and divine will, you will take a total of 7 actions. Once a token is placed on the board, it is not removed until the end of night phase (or whenever reset happens).

As you place an action token, you also place a silver token, taking two actions at once. You will never have more than 5 action phases ever.

Thanks. The wording of "it will be played each turn" in the FAQ was somewhat confusing.

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

It'll be like a real doll that moves around and talks and stuff!
Finally picked up Archipelago. Cool Stuff Inc was down to 3 copies and Amazon is at least $20 more it seems, so I snagged one. Just 2 left if anyone else was thinking about it. Also picked up XCOM because it put me 42 cents over $100 for free shipping. It's really not any more expensive on Amazon, but it was either that or Suburbia...and I really like playing Suburbia on the tablet app.

QnoisX fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 16, 2015

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CaptainApathyUK posted:

Isn't that X-Men retheme of Spartacus meant to be out soon? I neeeeeed it.

Please tell me this is a Secret Wars board game where players take on the roll of the Beyonder pitting various Marvel superheros against each other for cosmic amusement :flashfap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Haven't played CitOW but CW is a solid game with actual design work put into it. Rules are good. No reams of fiddly special cases.

My first game had me already thinking in interesting directions right from the get go as I got a handle on the mechanics and how they affected what I could do (and more importantly, what the other players could do.) The manual has a section at the end describing each faction and giving tips on playing them effectively. For example, Cthulhu is relatively cheap to re-awaken after he's been "killed" so get him early and don't be afraid to throw him into fights. I know one way to look at that is as spoilers, but I found that it helpful to get me up to speed and be able to play effectively at a basic level.

Token, board, and print quality are outstanding. The player sheets are just cardstock but all the tokens are super dense, heavy tokens that are pre-punched in a way that there are not any of those little thin tabs that rip if you're not careful. The figures are sharply detailed and have a distinct size scale which helps take in the board state at a glance.

The abilities are powerful and immediately useful, no minor buffs like "+1 to future die rolls" or anything. It's stuff like "Buy as many units as you want from as many gates as you like as long as you can afford it " when everyone else is limited to 1 per round - so you can barf up a horde as a reaction if someone gets in your face, and use that as deterrent.

Combat uses dice but there are no rerolls or anything. It's quick and simple. You choose your casualties so you use the "cannon fodder" approach to protect your more valuable units.

I'm a novice at warfare type games but I found it easy to grasp and was ready to jump to play again. Huge number of different ways the game could have played out, was already thinking of what I could have done better instead of feeling lost.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Mar 16, 2015