Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Having really bad rounds in battleships really, really sucks, getting in bad spots and missing all your shots, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Dunno-Lars posted:

Not sure if this has been posted, but Darkrenown, you are famous.

http://forum.worldofwarships.eu/index.php?/topic/7582-bad-manners/

Can't see the chat in the picture attached, so no idea what you did :P

The dude posting the thread was slapped on his wrist by a moderator for name shaming.

He's the Cruiser in my story:

Darkrenown posted:

E: Haha - Got a DD and started out firing torps between islands only for a friendly cruiser to turn directly into them. He bitches, I mention he turned into them, he claims to have been tabbed out and fires at me. I think fair enough and sail on, but the poo poo keep shooting me, so I turn back and give him a full torp spread - sinking him. Ugh. Then a friendly DD starts torping me, so I torp him too and we both explode. Now the first crusier is going to get his "admin friend" to ban me :ohdear:

Who could have guessed his "admin friend" was fictional, and the idiot is publicly admitted he was played while tabbed out - being inactive in battles is something they ban for.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback
In case anyone was wondering, you change your aircraft load-out by researching new plane configurations on the module tree. Some of them have 2xTorp Bombers and 1xFighters, or 2xFighters, and 1xTorp Bombers, for example.

Playing carriers is fun. It's a lot like playing an RTS game, except you drive the base around. A lot of the same tactics that were valid for Navy Field carriers are very valid here, but the fighter combat is a lot less stupid in WoW.

Many enemy carriers obligingly sit dead still, in their drat spawn ( or on the border ), so if you find one with your bombers, you will probably gently caress them up.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Many enemy carriers obligingly sit dead still

Now to be fair that's as fast as the Langley can go.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Game 10 without a victory in the St. Louis. 120+ hits, no fires started, no criticals. gently caress everything.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback
An accurate depiction of gameplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-Sdr4eSEdU

I saw him today, and ran interference with the enemy capital ships so he and another destroyer could take a run at a carrier. :allears:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Prav posted:

Now to be fair that's as fast as the Langley can go.

One you get the hang of it, langleys are not hard to kill with torp bombers. The independence is a lot harder though when they know you're coming.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

So finally I got around to playing the game.
Pretty easy to get into if one is used to playing arty in WoT. Also, people can't steer.
It is pretty clear it is not a replacement for WoT. It is slower and only 2 dimensional in positioning and armour plays less of a role. Still going to be fun to play as a change of pace from WoT.

I am only at tier3 with the St Louis, but is there any point in not running full throttle all the time?

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

For the lower tier ships, not really, since your not very fast to begin with, But as you start to get into tier 5-6, you may find yourself having to throttle down so you don't go alone and die from your speed, Unless your a destroyer of cause

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

An accurate depiction of gameplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-Sdr4eSEdU

I saw him today, and ran interference with the enemy capital ships so he and another destroyer could take a run at a carrier. :allears:

Got IRL mad with the 2nd torp run on the St Louis. Soon as he came from behind the island the DD should have been broadside and launching then using the next island to conserve HP :(

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Is there a cruiser or destroyer that ditches all its ineffective popguns for lots of flak and torps instead?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

sauer kraut posted:

Is there a cruiser or destroyer that ditches all its ineffective popguns for lots of flak and torps instead?

The Japanese tier X has 3x mid mounted 5 torp launchers that can send all 15 out either side, a few of the American destroyers get around that many but have them split into port and starboard launchers.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Darkrenown posted:

Who could have guessed his "admin friend" was fictional, and the idiot is publicly admitted he was played while tabbed out - being inactive in battles is something they ban for.

Actually now have a 1 day ban, so uh, don't shoot back at retards I guess :shrug:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

hopterque posted:

Having really bad rounds in battleships really, really sucks, getting in bad spots and missing all your shots, etc.

I love it when the rng just decides all your shots will go wild and straddle the ship you dialed in perfectly because gently caress you

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Is there a channel yet in game for people to sit in?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
and then this happened..

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I've received closed beta invite two days ago and have managed not to see it.

Downloading and installing.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
One very fun event playing last night was snap-shotting one HE round into a carrier with my Omaha and after five minutes of trading shots and dodging torpedoes I hear "enemy carrier sunk". I guess the guy never bothered to put out the fire.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

sauer kraut posted:

Japanese destroyer guns are bad enough that you don't need to bother firing them, and the tier 6 and up get the option to replace one of their guns with extra, somewhat effective AA.

Cardiac posted:

I am only at tier3 with the St Louis, but is there any point in not running full throttle all the time?
It fucks up pubbie torpedo runs if you vary speed, but with the current torpedo spotting distance you can easily evade them without doing that.
You can slow down to get an extra shot off before moving behind an island, I guess?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

In battleships, varying your speed is pretty important to avoid pincer attacks from torpedo bombers, but other than that all ahead full. Your rate of change in range versus an enemy is usually your most potent defense and your speed is your ability to get into a less bad position.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

You should also constantly be doing S turns at varying degrees and speeds, and weaving between islands especially if there is a destroyer anywhere near you as eating a full salvo of torpedos is no bueno.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Ehh, just occasionally varying course as you should to be avoiding gunfire is nearly always enough.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
does changing speed change your turning radius, As in going slower you can make tighter turns?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Chillyrabbit posted:

does changing speed change your turning radius, As in going slower you can make tighter turns?

You don't turn much at all if you're too slow.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Chillyrabbit posted:

Boats are weird and have more responsive controls at higher speeds. I don't know the best speed for making turns but generally I go into turns at full speed or 3/4 speed.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Notice the damage on those two ships? The tiny slice? That was a full dive bomber hit

:allears:

I've noted two things that kinda bug me:
1) Dive bombers are kinda poo poo so far. Even if they hit they do pretty minimal damage even against soft targets (which are way harder to hit, so 1-2 bombs only) - sure knocking out a turret and lighting them on fire is "nice" but doesn't really compare to a torp spread hit. They're kinda faster and sturdier planes than the torp bombers with slightly less turn-around time as a result but I'm having a hard time justifying switching out a torp squadron for these guys (even if hitting a enemy carrier and shutting down their flight deck is kinda nice).
Rather have 2 torp squadrons double-teaming an enemy.
Maybe I only need to git gud with Alt-bombing for the tighter spread, but I've no idea how to pull it off unless the enemy is stationary/going in a straight line.

2) The matchmaker seems to overvalue higher tier battleships, to the point I've seen one side get a tier 6 BB and the other get 2-3 more destroyers, cruisers or combined with an extra carrier. I find the extra destroyers a lot more handy to say the least and I don't think I've yet see the outnumbered team win thanks to the stronger BB.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

The only good use I've found against capital ships is using dive bombers to light fires so they burn their repair kits and can't fix floods.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
WWII dazzle camo. I just threw this together and still trying to figure out how to dick with it but its as easy as editing tank skins.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

YellerBill posted:

Boats are weird and have more responsive controls at higher speeds. I don't know the best speed for making turns but generally I go into turns at full speed or 3/4 speed.

These ships don't slide through the water nearly as much as real ones do, but generally the more water flow over the rudder the more turning force you can generate.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

xthetenth posted:

The only good use I've found against capital ships is using dive bombers to light fires so they burn their repair kits and can't fix floods.

That's why I use my Japanese destroyer pop guns with HE as much as possible on the way in, hoping to get a blaze going before I set the torps off

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
The Independence has a ridiculous quantity of AA for the tiers you fight it at. Going up against one in a Langley isn't too bad, but I'm better off loading fighters and shooting down its everything than trying to Torp it and lose half my planes each run.

Probably because its a mid-war CVL rather than pre-war.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

xthetenth posted:

Use dive bombers to get cruisers to blow their active AA skill so you can torpedo them 30 seconds later.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

YellerBill posted:

Fluid dynamics are fun. For a sort-of opposite problem, read up on Mars flyer probes to find out how hard it is to get lift and control response in an atmosphere about 1/100th as thick as Earth's (and with a third the gravity)!

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

demonR6 posted:

WWII dazzle camo. I just threw this together and still trying to figure out how to dick with it but its as easy as editing tank skins.

Can you do the superstructure too, or just the hull?

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

sauer kraut posted:

The premium atlanta sounds like what you are looking for. The main guns are dual purpose. However, it only has one quad launcher per side for torps and they only have a range of 4.5km. This, in a tier 8 cruiser.

Edit: is there any game mechanics they could add to alter the flow of torps in the game? I saw in the gif earlier showing a dissection of where the citadel area was it listed the battleships bubbled sides as anti-torpedo area. However, I know for a fact I've nailed torps there and be as effective as stern/bow hits. do they need to add some spaced armor mechanic from WoT to mitigate it? Or as someone suggested online, depth charges. What did they use in during ww2 to make a torp homing true to explode prematurely? Besides the obvious of turning. Or is this a problem that solves itself when pubbies realize that blobbing is more effective and defensive because planes will spot the torps earlier (assuming this is the case now which seems to be true from what I've seen on a carrier).

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 14, 2015

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012
What are the pros of the American destroyers vs. the Japanese torp monsters?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

SuperSix posted:

None, they all have massive survivability issues despite the islands and smokescreens, and just when you think you;re having a good game a pubbie will get all world of warplanes on you and drive straight in for a mutual ram kill after straightlining from spawn.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

SuperSix posted:

I would imagine far superior AA and guns.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

JuffoWup posted:

The premium atlanta sounds like what you are looking for. The main guns are dual purpose. However, it only has one quad launcher per side for torps and they only have a range of 4.5km. This, in a tier 8 cruiser.

I'm not sure that I'd describe the Atlanta as a ship that dispenses with ineffective popguns though!

SuperSix posted:

Japanese destroyers: not visible from the moon. turret traverse is a battleship-tier.
American destroyers: visible from the moon, short-ranged torpedoes. quick turret traverse. only good for hunting Japanese DDs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Prav posted:

I'm not sure that I'd describe the Atlanta as a ship that dispenses with ineffective popguns though!

I don't see ineffective popguns on it. I see brutal DPM murder.