Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

BigFactory posted:

Oops. I was guessing that maybe in the UK Amy Winehouse is some kind of cultural touchstone instead of the one hit wonder throwback novelty act she was in the States. Like the Cherry Poppin Daddies with bad teeth.

You are definitely an idiot with terrible taste in both the US and UK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Ras Het posted:

You are definitely an idiot with terrible taste in both the US and UK

You guys are touchy.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
oh no, the shitposters from the punk thread don't like their music, whatever will they do

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
hopefully they'll continue to pay huge amounts of money for dogshit and soundtracks because it's funny

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
cool that the people who spend the most money have the most completely boring pedestrian taste

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
yeah it's almost as if high demand (i.e. popular music) causes prices to rise

i don't like amy winehouse or any of that poo poo but the fact that you can't leave people alone to enjoy their hobby the way they see fit is the only actual funny thing here.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
no wonder your dick is so cheap

:boom:

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..

TheQat posted:

yeah it's almost as if high demand (i.e. popular music) causes prices to rise

i don't like amy winehouse or any of that poo poo but the fact that you can't leave people alone to enjoy their hobby the way they see fit is the only actual funny thing here.

actually, the fact that your mad, is also funny

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Spermgod posted:

actually, the fact that your mad, is also funny

i'm not though :)

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

TheQat posted:

i'm not though :)

:P

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

TheQat posted:

oh no, the shitposters from the punk thread don't like their music, whatever will they do

are you talking about the cherry popping daddies

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
i think that anyone who has a lot of money to spend and then goes and spends it in stupid ways that an idiot would deserves to be ridiculed; and also anyone who has a lot of money to spend and spends it on things that do not immediately invite ridicule

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

$10, good bargain imo.

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

BigFactory posted:

$10, good bargain imo.

Seems like a lot when you could spend basically the same amount of money and get archives and read all my old posts.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
this thread:

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I feel like everyone owns an expensive Porcupine Tree record.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

WASDF posted:

I find prog metal like 99% tedious and thus don't have any on anything but CD-Rs people burned me back in college that I never got rid of.

Also, did I just miss a conversation where one guy was talking about Ryan Adams and the other was talking about David Ryan Adams?

Please tell me that's what happened, I could use the laugh.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Allen Wren posted:

Also, did I just miss a conversation where one guy was talking about Ryan Adams and the other was talking about David Ryan Adams?

yes that happened because as has been established this thread is full of idiots

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Allen Wren posted:

I find prog metal like 99% tedious and thus don't have any on anything but CD-Rs people burned me back in college that I never got rid of.

Wikipedia tells me they're the same person, but if you're an affected goober you can call him David.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time

grailz

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Post more vinyl!

The Proselyte - Sunshine. Great stoner/sludge metal group from Boston. This album is fantastic.

Because it took quite a while to actually get it mailed out to me, they threw in a few extras, including this 7" split with Flying Snakes.

The Proselyte - Our Vessel's In Need. Also ordered this EP from them.

Hey, what's this? Meh, probably nothing too important.

Motherfucking United States Post Office.

Neither of these things are vinyl. Throw one in the trash and play fetch with the other. I leave it up to you to decide which to do with which.

No Egrets
May 30, 2013

That's right, and it's an Armani.
So I'm just getting into vinyl and one record that I really want is Hot Fuss by The Killers. I can't find it locally and the only "reasonably" priced copies I've found are bootlegs. What are the chances that a bootleg version is utter garbage?

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Just look around for reviews. All the bootlegs I have are really great and I think its a good chance that if its STILL being sold its probably okay at least.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
A copy just went up at my local store for $250. Not sure if that's "reasonable" or not since I could never really get into The Killers.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
poo poo I'd pay twice that

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

BigFactory posted:

Wikipedia tells me they're the same person, but if you're an affected goober you can call him David.

gently caress. That's what I get for phoneposting.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

WASDF posted:

If I could find one for sub $80 I'd totally get a copy of Deadwing.

No Egrets
May 30, 2013

WASDF posted:

Just look around for reviews. All the bootlegs I have are really great and I think its a good chance that if its STILL being sold its probably okay at least.

Thanks, I'll do some research.

Millions posted:

A copy just went up at my local store for $250. Not sure if that's "reasonable" or not since I could never really get into The Killers.

Yeah I was looking in the $50 -$80 price range. Unplayed official LPs seem to all be in the $250 range. It's the only album of theirs I like, but I really, really like it. :shrug:

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time

Detective Thompson posted:

I leave it up to you to decide which to do with which.

Pick Your King

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

No Egrets posted:

So I'm just getting into vinyl and one record that I really want is Hot Fuss by The Killers. I can't find it locally and the only "reasonably" priced copies I've found are bootlegs. What are the chances that a bootleg version is utter garbage?

The thing about bootlegs is that you're basically rolling the dice. It could sound fantastic and it could sound like utter poo poo. It depends on who made it and what they sourced it from. In this particular case you could very well end up paying a premium to have the CD pressed onto vinyl.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

The thing about bootlegs is that you're basically rolling the dice. It could sound fantastic and it could sound like utter poo poo. It depends on who made it and what they sourced it from. In this particular case you could very well end up paying a premium to have the CD pressed onto vinyl.

Which might not be any different from a non bootleg? The idea that a mainstream rock band cutting their first major label album in the early 2000's would have the clout to push for a special vinyl-only master for an extremely limited LP run seems hilarious.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 14, 2015

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
my honest recommendation is to get the expensive one. better to pay for quality than risk something that doesn't capture the essence of a record you truly enjoy.

No Egrets
May 30, 2013

I bought my very first record today, am I doing this right?

*edit*
I missed the other advice regarding my bootleg question. I think I'm going to split the difference and start saving for the official release and buy the best sub $50 bootleg to tide me over in the mean time. Thanks everyone for the replies.

No Egrets fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Mar 14, 2015

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Only right if it was 200 bucks.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

BigFactory posted:

Which might not be any different from a non bootleg? The idea that a mainstream rock band cutting their first major label album in the early 2000's would have the clout to push for a special vinyl-only master for an extremely limited LP run seems hilarious.

This too.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

No Egrets posted:

I bought my very first record today, am I doing this right?

*edit*
I missed the other advice regarding my bootleg question. I think I'm going to split the difference and start saving for the official release and buy the best sub $50 bootleg to tide me over in the mean time. Thanks everyone for the replies.

thats a good record

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

If I could find one for sub $80 I'd totally get a copy of Deadwing.

lol

I sold mine for $230

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
YMMV obviously, but the Urban Outfitters in my mall has insane clearance again

$10 each -

Hamilton Leithauser - Black Hours
Grandaddy - Under the Western Freeway
The Bronx - IV
Peter Matthew Bauer - Liberation

I already have the Hamilton Leithauser album on CD, so enjoy: