Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

ExtraNoise posted:

Your model is going to be awesome! I can't wait to see more.

As for the lot: After selecting a base building (I selected the same one) and choosing how large the plot is going to be, there should be a section of UI at the bottom that allows you to add roads, ground texture, and other props.

I get that, but I can't add anything because it is outside of the 'zone' of the asset, although changing the plot size only increases the number of grids overlaid on the model, not the area around the model like making any other asset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I've noticed that when upgrading my stock 4 and 6 lane two-way roads to the same with trees, it causes some but not all buildings along the edge to be demolished, which cost me a couple k residents in destroyed skycrapers

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005
Anyone on the fence about getting this game, Do it. I got more than 60 bucks worth of entertainment for 30 bucks. Theres a reason this game has been on the top of the steam charts for 3 days running now.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I build my long parks from 3x3 squares. Why on earth the sky is full of seagulls when I build those? Basically my city is now seagull city thanks to the long park crossing the city.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
How does workshop stuff work for this game? Like if I download some bridge and add it to my game, what happens if the author decided to update it by changing its size, does my bridge get auto-updated like how Steam does things and will that mess up my city?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Having a browse of reddit and someone posted this, an interesting way to make turning lanes for the 6 lane highways.

'Visual comparison of AI pathing between Bad and Good road design.'

Also, a car free city:
http://imgur.com/a/o8L3l

drunkill fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Mar 14, 2015

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Not all traffic problems are ground based

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
drat seagulls^

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Fishstick posted:

This is beautiful

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

So absolute shocker of the year, dams actually dam the water

Tried cascading hydro dams in a river next to my town, started getting nervous and bulldozing them when the water began creeping up the shore, and every time I deleted one the water would ripple like crazy because the structure suddenly wasn't there anymore. The water physics in this game are super cool but now that I just flooded the poo poo out of my city I've got a bunch of big puddles that won't go away :mad:

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman

Fishstick posted:

"Hooooolly here's your loving landing light!"

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
Tried to make a map, but it sucked balls. :(

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Slightly Toasted posted:

So absolute shocker of the year, dams actually dam the water

Tried cascading hydro dams in a river next to my town, started getting nervous and bulldozing them when the water began creeping up the shore, and every time I deleted one the water would ripple like crazy because the structure suddenly wasn't there anymore. The water physics in this game are super cool but now that I just flooded the poo poo out of my city I've got a bunch of big puddles that won't go away :mad:

Build pumps to drain it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ZoDiAC_ posted:

Surprisingly useful road placement: Massive four-lane swastikas! That lead off to smaller roads.

Always choose the roads with trees folks.

Speaking of which, is there any way to create a yield-merge when connecting a large and a small one-way street, instead of a traffic light?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

mobby_6kl posted:

Speaking of which, is there any way to create a yield-merge when connecting a large and a small one-way street, instead of a traffic light?

Use highways

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Just discussing this on irc, we've decided that CSL needs ramped tunnel entrances so that metros and railways can be connected together, like in SC2k.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

NTRabbit posted:

Just discussing this on irc, we've decided that CSL needs ramped tunnel entrances so that metros and railways can be connected together, like in SC2k.

In CiM, 'subways' and rail were both just metro, and you could go from elevated to underground just as fluently as you can build over/underpasses with roads right now.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Fishstick posted:

In CiM, 'subways' and rail were both just metro, and you could go from elevated to underground just as fluently as you can build over/underpasses with roads right now.

Never played CiM but yes, that's just the thing it needs

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

NTRabbit posted:

Yeah it really needs that. Maaaaybe we'll get something like that with the first content patch.

Also trams.

Trams trams trams.

And ferries. :3:

I'm up to 45000, I'm getting to the point where there's a few traffic snarls, but nothing really major. I guess I'll try and post some more beauty shots tomorrow. Right now I'm beat because I CAN'T STOP PLAYING THIS STUPID GAME IT'S LIKE CRACK.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

Fishstick posted:

Have you tried clapping your hands a few times? Sometimes it scares them off.

Someone needs to mod the way subway tunnels work. It's far too hard to get them to connect across bodies of water.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
oh poo poo

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Foxhound posted:

oh poo poo

rip poopsburg.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Fishstick posted:

The vultures are circling the carcass. :v:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

suddenlyissoon posted:

Someone needs to mod the way subway tunnels work. It's far too hard to get them to connect across bodies of water.

See I want my subways to pop out of the ground and go above the water on regular train bridges before diving beneath the earth again on the other side

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Fishstick posted:

I think you just recreated Die Hard 2.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
People are occasionally posting they are paralyzed by how to not make traffic disasters. My methods are neither pretty or space efficient so someone can probably show far better examples, but for those of you struggling here’s my general plan for my citiy’s urban center. I haven’t seen a traffic jam in a while and the city isn’t exactly gigantic yet but it seems like a good start.

http://imgur.com/a/t5vly

Bonus money shot

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

MikeJF posted:

I want a tool that's a small road with big nature strips to the side that I can upgrade if I need.

Looking at your screenshot, I reckon you should put more connections from your small streets to your large ones so you can balance the loads around.

This is how it works in real life, yes. Everyone's house on the street where I live is set back far enough that they can expand the 2-lane road to 4 lanes if they need to. (They need to but the state won't pay for it.)

After playing with curved roads I wouldn't want to figure out how to get around in this city, but at least it's not covered in poop water :gonk:

I had bad traffic problems from trucks entering the city trying to get to the industrial area by turning left once they get into the city. I tried to build an elevated bypass that went right there but nobody would take it so I had to settle for a roundabout.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Noyemi K posted:

Tried to make a map, but it sucked balls. :(
You'll probably want to base it on a heightmap. terrain.party is great for real ones. White is maximum height, black is minimum, so you can change the brightness and contrast and blur it or modify it or whatever to get it to be how you like.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Once i add some onramps to the interchange i bodged I need to start work on some small neighbourhoods and dirty industry that feeds into the main hub. Does anybody have any recommendations to do this and succesfully link up to the grid layout without uterrly knackering the flow of traffic? I spent a good hour last night staring at the screen and wondering, "How do I do this?" I'd like my satelite districts to be made up of nice wiggly roads.

Oscar Romeo Romeo fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Mar 14, 2015

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I made a great big roundabout and it was jamming up a bit until I unlocked highways, and now everything is lovely. Also loads of people walk across a whole square to get to work. Cims love walking.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hydro power seems buggy as gently caress to me. I keep building dams and the water stabilises, they work for a little while, and then the power level plummets to zero and stays there.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hang on is a roundabout just a circular strip of highway.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

The large one is, the small one is just a circle of one way two lane road

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

The OP should just be a string of Zen-like warnings about the game, like "roundabouts do not exist" and "he who dams a river may face the poop flood".

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

drunkill posted:

I get that, but I can't add anything because it is outside of the 'zone' of the asset, although changing the plot size only increases the number of grids overlaid on the model, not the area around the model like making any other asset.

I'm not sure what you're saying. You have to define the lot size and then you can only add things to that area, not outside of it.

This is what it looks like for me, does it look like this for you?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

oddium posted:

The large one is, the small one is just a circle of one way two lane road

Hrmph. Oh, hey, I guess this means I can upgrade roundabouts to have noise barriers.

I feel like at my super-heavy-congestion wide-road interchange I'm getting better performance from a 'roundabout' made of one-way six-lane road, even though it's slower to traverse due to traffic lights.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 14, 2015

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!
I hope this hasn't been posted already but it's loving great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8_ist_PERM

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Strictoaster is going to do a live stream tomorrow:
Cities Skylines - Livestream Announcement: https://youtu.be/5DUGJpYCVJc

I knew he'd return for this game. He did some impressive videos for simcity 5, banished and simcity 4, even his city in that short announcement video is neat.

ExtraNoise posted:

I'm not sure what you're saying. You have to define the lot size and then you can only add things to that area, not outside of it.

This is what it looks like for me, does it look like this for you?

I got it working properly, I think.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
Weston Bay grows, and as it grows, so too do logistical problems:

An aerial view shows the city in all its splendour, complete with traffic bottlenecks between Boorman Terrace and downtown.

The new downtown is beloved for its parks and the quiet square of odd houses.

The new design of this neighborhood creates an attractive contrast.

The island's topography provides a number of traffic design challenges that are not easy to overcome!

The terraced neighborhoods near the coast can see the workings of Weston Bay's heavy shipping and the spread of old pollution.

Special thanks to the guy who uploaded the fused-grid templates!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Trilin posted:

I hope this hasn't been posted already but it's loving great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8_ist_PERM
I was actually wondering this morning what it looked like if you reclaimed the water where the ship routes are defined, and its about what I imagined it.

• Locked thread