Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rscott
Dec 10, 2009
America love it or leave it :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

rscott posted:

America love it or leave it :911:
Not a problem! :britain:

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

InitialDave posted:

Not a problem! :britain:

+1.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

rscott posted:

Rhyno you are very wrong about the toadies FYI

You're right, they're actually worse than I remembered.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Birthday present I got for myself :haw:

Cat Terrist posted:

Happy birthday and even approaching 46, I'm in the best fitness of my life. Approaching 50 doesnt mean anyone needs to slow down too much :D

I'm a pretty fit dude, but I find that the older I get injuries take MUCH longer to heal up, and skateboarding has a way of keeping you constantly injured :v:

Also was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease this year :(

It sucks but I'll live.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

leica posted:

You have excellent taste.

Happy birthday you old fart.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

WTF is going on with Sears? I'm working on my Jeep this morning to replace a gasket between the exhaust manifold and the engine that I'm almost 99% sure if where my exhaust leak is coming from and I find that I'm one tool short to being able to get it off. There's one last bolt in a really tight spot and I need a 10mm flex head wrench. Call up my buddy to see if he's got one, nope, but he'll run over to sears for me and pick one up. He gets there and sends me this

He said most of the tool section looks like this.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mattfl posted:

WTF is going on with Sears? I'm working on my Jeep this morning to replace a gasket between the exhaust manifold and the engine that I'm almost 99% sure if where my exhaust leak is coming from and I find that I'm one tool short to being able to get it off. There's one last bolt in a really tight spot and I need a 10mm flex head wrench. Call up my buddy to see if he's got one, nope, but he'll run over to sears for me and pick one up. He gets there and sends me this

He said most of the tool section looks like this.

That store is probably closing and they just haven't announced it yet.

Propaganda Bob
Aug 26, 2006

Not one step backwards!
I'm looking at some 17x8 wheels. Am I right in thinking 225/50/r17 would be a good size tire to fit them? I'm terrible with tire sizes. And has anyone had experience with Continental ExtremeContacts? I've heard good things and was thinking about running them.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Sears is circling the drain.

In other news I finally got to the yard I've been meaning to for a month now and not only did they have a mint hatch in the right color for another goon's forester, they also had one for me. loving score!

Gonna have to swap mine in the parking lot and bin the old one because I don't have cargo space for both.

someone remind me to swap the lock cylinder or I will be a very annoyed person tomorrow morning.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

rscott posted:

It's super pi day, 3/14/15 9:26.53am, hope you guys are gonna eat some pie today

Getting married today!
We're having pie instead of cake! Holy poo poo I'm ready for today to be over with!

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

leica posted:

Happy birthday!

It'll be my birthday in a couple weeks, but i'm too broke to buy myself anything. :(

On the upside, i'm close to paying off my overdraft. :v:

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

mafoose posted:

Getting married today!
We're having pie instead of cake! Holy poo poo I'm ready for today to be over with!

Congrats!

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

mafoose posted:

Getting married today!

Congrats, We get married on the 20th. Pie sounds like a much better idea then cake but my wife gets the choice on that. I got to pick our honeymoon location and also got to suggest a trip to the rock island armory museum. And to comment on the sears thing they were selling there gearwrenches for cheap last weekend. Maybe that's why that shelf was so bare.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

mafoose posted:

Getting married today!

That's rad and you are rad. Congrats on your nuptials. This year will be our 6th anniversary. Life has just gotten better and better.

I'm going to order a wall system cabinet set from costco for the third car garage. I'm doing so at my wife's command so the garage can be nice and organized with (most of) my R/C stuff out there. I'm excited!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Propaganda Bob posted:

I'm looking at some 17x8 wheels. Am I right in thinking 225/50/r17 would be a good size tire to fit them? I'm terrible with tire sizes. And has anyone had experience with Continental ExtremeContacts? I've heard good things and was thinking about running them.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Continental ExtremeContacts are pretty good tires, both in the summer-only DW and all-season DWS forms; I run DWs on my E46 and have nothing but good things to say about them. If you autocross/track your car the sidewalls might not be stiff enough for your taste though.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Got emails today through row52 that two LS trucks hit the yard this morning. So I head over there, about two hours after opening, and both motors are hanging from hoists. How does anyone say with a straight face that these motors are junkyard plentiful? I've only been looking for a power steering pump/bracket/alternator for one for, oh, five years or so. :mad:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Raluek posted:

Got emails today through row52 that two LS trucks hit the yard this morning. So I head over there, about two hours after opening, and both motors are hanging from hoists. How does anyone say with a straight face that these motors are junkyard plentiful? I've only been looking for a power steering pump/bracket/alternator for one for, oh, five years or so. :mad:

Specifically LS?

Because I have been to two yards so far today and walked by like 30 or 40 LM7s, LTs, probably an LQ or two, and whatever else vortec. Maybe an LR4 or five but who gives a poo poo about those?

This is the one reason the rustbelt is great. Drivetrains last longer than sheetmetal.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kastein posted:

Specifically LS?

Because I have been to two yards so far today and walked by like 30 or 40 LM7s, LTs, probably an LQ or two, and whatever else vortec. Maybe an LR4 or five but who gives a poo poo about those?

This is the one reason the rustbelt is great. Drivetrains last longer than sheetmetal.

Nah, these were LM7. I actually prefer the truck accessories. Not a fan of the power steering pump above the alternator on the F-body motors.

That's a good idea, though; what happened to that junkyard parts wanted thread we had? I don't suppose aluminum lasts very long there without getting all oxidized and poo poo, but I guess beggars can't be choosers.

I never ever ever have seen one in a yard in a truck, even the 350 Vortecs and LT1s are usually pulled. There's usually one, maybe two of those still there per yard, though.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Same here in Iowa. TBI and the vortech 350s all day long. LSx motors are showing up on a regular basis now, along with the trailblazer 4.2 atlas 6 bangers.

I wouldn't mind the atlas motor, but not sure what I could stuff it in, its a pretty tall motor, plus they were only mated to auto boxes.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Raluek posted:

That's a good idea, though; what happened to that junkyard parts wanted thread we had? I don't suppose aluminum lasts very long there without getting all oxidized and poo poo, but I guess beggars can't be choosers.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3694267

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Same here in Iowa. TBI and the vortech 350s all day long. LSx motors are showing up on a regular basis now, along with the trailblazer 4.2 atlas 6 bangers.

I wouldn't mind the atlas motor, but not sure what I could stuff it in, its a pretty tall motor, plus they were only mated to auto boxes.

There are aftermarket bellhousings for them, and I think the I5 bellhousing can adapt them to other stuff. Neat swap that I was looking at the other day, since they're a 295HP aluminum block I6 that would be pretty drat sweet; too bad they're so hard to fit into sportscars hah.

Thanks

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Started fixing the damage from the Lime Rock snow auto-x. I have a working washer pump and a fender liner again. Only needed two zip-ties to make up for missing mounting points!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Is there a thread about fixing dents / other body issues, besides the general Questions thread? Workin' on the Midget, cleaning things up in preparation for painting. The dent in the trunk should be a relatively simply Bondo job, but I'm wondering what to do about this:

Here's the other, good side for comparison:

Pictures don't show it very well, but it looks like another car (or something) pressed in the front edge of the wheel arch... it's not all crumpled, but it definitely pushed in a good chunk of the arch.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Raluek posted:

There are aftermarket bellhousings for them, and I think the I5 bellhousing can adapt them to other stuff. Neat swap that I was looking at the other day, since they're a 295HP aluminum block I6 that would be pretty drat sweet; too bad they're so hard to fit into sportscars hah.

They have gobs of torque too. If they were slanted over around 20 degrees or so they would make a killer swap. I believe they are variable valve timing as well.

If anything it would be pretty cool in an old C10. But at that point just go with a v8.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

They have gobs of torque too. If they were slanted over around 20 degrees or so they would make a killer swap. I believe they are variable valve timing as well.

If anything it would be pretty cool in an old C10. But at that point just go with a v8.

Yeah they are. First GM motor to have it on the exhaust, IIRC. Plus, DOHC. Neat motors, poo poo packaging.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

One more round of aircraft stripper and a trip to the car wash with the pressure washer and the wheels should be ready for sanding. I wish the lips on two of them were just a bit nicer, I'd really love to have them polished, but oh well. A bit of filler and paint it is. Also going to pick up a neat DTM style front lip for the E30 in a bit, and MAYBE if I can get motivated, fix the leaky water pump/oil pressure sensor and get started on yanking the subframe to swap out bushings and throw in an LSD I got for cheap. Nice to have a weekend with nothing planned for once.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Pham Nuwen posted:

Is there a thread about fixing dents / other body issues, besides the general Questions thread? Workin' on the Midget, cleaning things up in preparation for painting. The dent in the trunk should be a relatively simply Bondo job, but I'm wondering what to do about this:

Here's the other, good side for comparison:

Pictures don't show it very well, but it looks like another car (or something) pressed in the front edge of the wheel arch... it's not all crumpled, but it definitely pushed in a good chunk of the arch.

Please do not fill your dent with bondo.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
if it's a decent old car or good paint, at least ask around for recommendations on a decent paintless dent remover and see if you can get a free quote.
Might take a lot of research or time asking around, and driving around or whatever, but try that avenue first, as some are really good.
These days on a decent car, most only use body filler/bondo/bog if the paint is shithouse and they intend on going back to bare metal and welding followed by a full respray anyway.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Ozmiander posted:

I wasn't planning to bondo the dent in the picture, I was going to do it to the one on the back which is pretty shallow. If you have other suggestions I'll give them a shot first.

Here's my spare trunk lid after 3 coats rolled-on, no sanding:

It's very orange-peely, but I think it actually looks surprisingly good. We'll see what it looks like post-sanding... this has been a fun experiment so far.

Fo3 posted:

if it's a decent old car or good paint, at least ask around for recommendations on a decent paintless dent remover and see if you can get a free quote.
Might take a lot of research or time asking around, and driving around or whatever, but try that avenue first, as some are really good.
These days on a decent car, most only use body filler/bondo/bog if the paint is shithouse and they intend on going back to bare metal and welding followed by a full respray anyway.

Paint is shithouse and I'm going to either repaint it by hand (if the trunk experiment works well) or get it re-sprayed somewhere (if the experiment fails). I've already taken it to bare metal back there.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

Ozmiander posted:

One time when I was much younger we were bombing around on some back roads and some ratty rear end blazer got in front of us and started hauling rear end as well. I don't remember if it hit a pothole or a nasty bump or what, but the rear fender basically atomized and turned into a cloud of flying bondo.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Pham Nuwen posted:

I wasn't planning to bondo the dent in the picture, I was going to do it to the one on the back which is pretty shallow. If you have other suggestions I'll give them a shot first.

Here's my spare trunk lid after 3 coats rolled-on, no sanding:

It's very orange-peely, but I think it actually looks surprisingly good. We'll see what it looks like post-sanding... this has been a fun experiment so far.

Paint is shithouse and I'm going to either repaint it by hand (if the trunk experiment works well) or get it re-sprayed somewhere (if the experiment fails). I've already taken it to bare metal back there.

I don;t know what you're using, but it's worth investing in a compressor and a HVLP spray gun. I think that's the correct name, but I might remember wrong as it's been 10 years. Really helps preventing orange peel once you set them up right. You might be using it already, so feel free to disregard, but I only got orange peel from crap paint, spray cans or bad gear. Technique plays a role but not that much after some practice.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 14, 2015

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Fo3 posted:

It's worth investing in a compressor and a HVLP spray gun. I think that's the correct name, but I might remember wrong as it's been 10 years. Really helps preventing orange peel once you set them up right.

Neighbor offered his electric HVLP sprayer... Worth trying that?

I kind of like orange peel but smooth is still better.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Never tried electric, and an air compressor is worth it if you intend to do much work on cars.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 14, 2015

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Stud welder and a slide hammer is what's coming to my mind when it comes to pulling a dent out.

Raluek posted:

Yeah they are. First motor to have it on the exhaust, IIRC. Plus, DOHC. Neat motors, poo poo packaging.

To bad. Aren't Mercedes strait 6 motors strait up and down and not tilted?

It would be good resto mod engine. Think the old base level sedans and coupes that came with strait 6s from the factory. That would be a kick rear end engine to replace it with.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 14, 2015

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then
I'm about halfway through polishing my mustang. Paint is already crap, so I'm doing it as much for learning as I am for results. Pics incoming when I'm done. Ill probably finish today, I had the whole weekend blocked out for this.

So real question. How hard is it to match old paint? My mustang is a silver 2001. Painting the panels that are all hosed up (front driver side quarter panel, passenger rear quarter panel, of course) is something I'd be interested in before I sell this fall.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ilkhan posted:

So real question. How hard is it to match old paint? My mustang is a silver 2001. Painting the panels that are all hosed up (front driver side quarter panel, passenger rear quarter panel, of course) is something I'd be interested in before I sell this fall.

Matching paint is easy (bring a sample, computer does the rest)

But do you you understand what "matched" paint actually means?
(hint: it doesn't mean you can paint a body panel and slap it next to another one and have it look anywhere close to right)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Please leave us in suspense when somebody is asking for help.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

CharlesM posted:

Please leave us in suspense when somebody is asking for help.

MotronicTitle.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Paint needs to be blended between panels. Otherwise it looks like "subtle monochrome harlequin".

• Locked thread