Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Khisanth Magus posted:

In a just world Tryon 3 would have won this fight and gone on to destroy gunpla academy in the finals. This was a beautiful episode. Tryon 3 needs to somehow show up at the world tournament.

In a just world Tryon 3 gets a PG model kit and I get two of them so I can pose the animal combiners and the Tryon 3 at the same time.

...I will also accept an MG.

Raxivace posted:

Gundam Build Fighters Double Try?

Gundam Build Fighters Try Harder

Astro Nut posted:

I will only accept a third season if it is Gundam Build Fighters TRY ON 3!

Obari animates every episode.

This is also acceptable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
I'm dreading the next episode because I have a hard time believing anything can really follow THAT.

As for Gundam Build Fighters Try Tri, I'll wait and see if they stick the ending of the season this time before I make any major judgments.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

KaosMachina posted:

I'm dreading the next episode because I have a hard time believing anything can really follow THAT.

As for Gundam Build Fighters Try Tri, I'll wait and see if they stick the ending of the season this time before I make any major judgments.

It's gonna go one of two ways. They could actually lose and consider 2nd Place in the Nationals a good cap, or they're going to go through to the World Cup Open for a movie/OVA/third season.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I think it's alright that Tryon 3 lost, considering that there's at least a little Zambot 3 in there.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

It's okay. He'll live on...

when SRW inevitably includes Tryon-3 and it's the most broken goddamn unit in the game.

Someday, in a better world.

Of course Judau just needs to have his own ZZ, so we can get a combination attack.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
I fully expect Tryon G or some other glorious monster to appear if the World Cup becomes a thing.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Gearhead posted:

I fully expect Tryon G or some other glorious monster to appear if the World Cup becomes a thing.

Sakai begs his way into another team, but this time? They're all crazy super robot enthusiasts. We go from Eldoran/Yuusha style robots to Getter Robo.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Astro Nut posted:

Sakai begs his way into another team, but this time? They're all crazy super robot enthusiasts. We go from Eldoran/Yuusha style robots to Getter Robo.

The one thing this episode was missing was a good ol' fashioned STONER SUNSHINE moment. Believe in the heart of TRYON 3.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

My God. BFT is over. This was the peak. Nothing they can do will top the sheer magic of Tryon 3 FULL HAM. It was so good it made motherfucking Yuuma look good. Him devouring panels and embracing the burning passion was the "show don't tell" he needed. That was exhausting to watch.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It did feel a bit static, though, especially compared to last week's match. There was a lot of standing still and throwing special attacks at each other. I mean, those attacks were gloriously silly, and the final sequence with the Lightning was way cool, but they could have used a bit more dynamism to really make it pop like in GBF's best battles.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
In non-Tryon 3-related moments in this episode... one nice touch I liked at the beginning of the episode was Lucas picking up his Full Cloth after the conclusion of his battle. Beaten, a little scuffed and worn, but still pretty much completely intact. On damage level A. I think that more than anything else so far really helps to sell how skilled Lucas is; he still lost to Gunpla Academy, but only after he ran the three of them ragged, and he still walked away with a recognizable model instead of a pile of scrap plastic strewn across the plavsky particle generator.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Darth Walrus posted:

It did feel a bit static, though, especially compared to last week's match. There was a lot of standing still and throwing special attacks at each other. I mean, those attacks were gloriously silly, and the final sequence with the Lightning was way cool, but they could have used a bit more dynamism to really make it pop like in GBF's best battles.

I think they were saving it all for the end battle. You can see a progression from off-model characters to repeated stock footage to Lightning uses a wrist-mounted grenade launcher to shoot its own arm off over the course of the episode.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

In non-Tryon 3-related moments in this episode... one nice touch I liked at the beginning of the episode was Lucas picking up his Full Cloth after the conclusion of his battle. Beaten, a little scuffed and worn, but still pretty much completely intact. On damage level A. I think that more than anything else so far really helps to sell how skilled Lucas is; he still lost to Gunpla Academy, but only after he ran the three of them ragged, and he still walked away with a recognizable model instead of a pile of scrap plastic strewn across the plavsky particle generator.

That scene was all around good, with strong sportsmanship and a general :3 feel as they basically practice Meijinism of "Gunpla is cool, lets play more Gunpla." Lucas, up to that point, had given me the impression of someone coldly ruthless and committed more to the win than the game. I didn't expect him to stick his neck out for his support that explicitly.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

That episode was wonderful, and I couldn't even get mad that the Tryon didn't win because that was such a good fight.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ka0 posted:

e: is there a MG of the ZZ? it seems as if a MG of 1-2-3!TryonTHREE would be an insta-seller from day one.

There is but it's old and kind of terrible. This would be a good opportunity for a MG ZZ 2.0, though.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Rewatching the Tryon 3 episode got me angry because I realized that they took the exact opposite tack with the ending part as what would actually make sense. Sakai was willing to put his adopted team's success before the rivalry he had originally entered the tournament for in the first place, suggesting that he went through massive character growth and had actually come to really value his friends. And then he's encouraged to drop all that for a totally useless dick fencing contest to prove...what? That his combined gunpla with the power of three gunpla in one can beat up on Yuuma's single gunpla? That he can lose a one on one fight because he's almost out of power? Logically Sakai should have been consumed by his rivalry, then brought to his senses by his teammates reminding him about the power level/time limit, then he should have tried to escape and failed in doing so before the final fight occurred. Instead, all his development happened offscreen.

I've gotten really annoyed at the last few episodes because the constant flouting of teamwork in order to facilitate dumb one on one duels for honor is making the tournament into a dumb joke. None of these people actually seem to care about winning the tournament at all, it's just a meaningless venue for them to use so they can awkwardly force one on ones in what should be a team fight environment. It shouldn't be considered weakness by these characters for your team to outplay the enemy's team to the point where you can win by time out, or for your initial battle victories to give you a numerical edge that you can use on the remaining enemies. That's the entire point of a team format with a time limit that awards victory to whatever team has the most gunpla standing. Instead it feels like the characters despise the team format as much as the writers who have to figure out how to choreograph a decent team fight.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kanos posted:

Rewatching the Tryon 3 episode got me angry because I realized that they took the exact opposite tack with the ending part as what would actually make sense. Sakai was willing to put his adopted team's success before the rivalry he had originally entered the tournament for in the first place, suggesting that he went through massive character growth and had actually come to really value his friends. And then he's encouraged to drop all that for a totally useless dick fencing contest to prove...what?

Sakai didn't have to do anything more to win, and indeed anything else would've just risked his team's guaranteed victory. His teammates knew how much that rivalry meant to Sakai and gave him permission to go all-out and have fun :shrug:. It's pretty good character growth if he's willing to set aside his desire to fight Yuuma to the bitter end so his team mates have a shot at the National Championship.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Sakai didn't have to do anything more to win, and indeed anything else would've just risked his team's guaranteed victory. His teammates knew how much that rivalry meant to Sakai and gave him permission to go all-out and have fun :shrug:. It's pretty good character growth if he's willing to set aside his desire to fight Yuuma to the bitter end so his team mates have a shot at the National Championship.

It is good character growth. The problem is we didn't actually get to see it happen, it just sort of happened offscreen and then we see the results of it. The last time we saw Sakai interacting with his team in private they were giving him weird sidelong looks like they thought he was a crazy person, not their best loyal friend who would throw his desires under the bus for them and they for him. It would be like if in G Gundam Domon suddenly showed up one day and was super courteous and respectful to Rain out of nowhere without them showing anything that led up to that point.

But I suppose your line about going all-out and having fun sums up my annoyance. Since when does beating someone in a tournament match by following the rules and outplaying their team not count as a real win?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Kanos posted:

But I suppose your line about going all-out and having fun sums up my annoyance. Since when does beating someone in a tournament match by following the rules and outplaying their team not count as a real win?

Sakai wanted to win in a fight to show his gunpla was better than Yuuma's. Stalling would have let his team win but personally he wouldn't have beaten his rival.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I'm pretty sure blowing up Yuuma's teammates and heavily crippling the Lightning fb counts as a victory.

The whole thing is pretty much the writer framing another 1v1. It's about as awkward as every other time they do it. It is just not their strength. v:shobon:v

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If it's still moving and you won't go near it, that sounds like fear to me :clint:. A real winner goes in and finishes the job.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I gave up on them not-forcing 1 vs1 fights ages ago.
They managed to give yuuma a sorta arc, going from scared builder to blowing up his own gunpla all the time to win. I guess...

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
There is also the small matter that super robots don't run away.

And Yuuma is super fast so trying to outrun him would have been pointless.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Poison Mushroom posted:

Tryion3 vs TheEnd with sunshades on it would have been the perfect finale match.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If it's still moving and you won't go near it, that sounds like fear to me :clint:. A real winner goes in and finishes the job.

Poison Mushroom posted:

Agreed; what kind of super robot runs away from a fight because there's a risk involved? A shameful super robot, that's what kind.

Anyone complaining that Sakai should've just played keep-away to run out the timer for the win has no sense of romance or aesthetics. :colbert:

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
I think some of you guys missed the point, or part of it. There is the basic "gunpla is supposed to be fun, yo" message that gets brought up fairly often in the show, but there's another side to it too. Sakai got into gunpla because of Yuuma. Yuuma is his hero and he wants to be able to prove he can be just as awesome as his hero. That's why he's so pissed off about Yuuma bailing on gunpla battle and switching to artistic competitions, then right as they're about to be going head to head in those contests, Yuuma switches back to battling. Sakai can't prove his worth and his heart is a bit broken because the target of his hero-worship turned out to be a lame-rear end dude who apparently can't handle the possibility of losing. If Sakai hung back and let time run out, he'd have turned into that part of Yuuma that got him all bent out of shape in the first place. Sakai wasn't focusing on getting his team a win, he was focusing on getting a win over his "rival" to the point that he lost sight of why he was doing this in the first place. His teammates knew what was going on with Sakai better than he did, and actually cared enough about him to make sure he left with no regrets.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
The real problem is that the main characters are now in the final without earning their place there.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Ethiser posted:

Sakai wanted to win in a fight to show his gunpla was better than Yuuma's. Stalling would have let his team win but personally he wouldn't have beaten his rival.

But he did prove that on pretty much every level. Effectively obliterating a world-class gunpla built by Sei Iori The Living God of Gunpla Building(the same one that had humiliated him by trashing his previous work), taking the Star Winning out by crippling his rival and winning the match over his rival's team in a team game doesn't count as personally beating his rival because he wouldn't have personally punched Yuuma's gunpla into fragments?

ActionZero posted:

The real problem is that the main characters are now in the final without earning their place there.

I think this is actually the core of my itch. Every major fight that the Try Fighters has been winning they've won because of the insane unearned power of the Build/Try Burning or because of their opponents doing something incredibly dumb.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think the real core problem with Sakai and Yuuma's rivalry is that Sakai isn't a battler. He's a builder. He was interested in Yuuma's battling skills as a builder and then took him on as a rival as a builder.

But their conflict came down to a fight and Sakai wanting to fight him, but while Sakai is a talented fighter his thing has always been "is a builder." But their fight didn't come down to their building skills at all. Yuuma won through being a better fighter but only after Sakai engaged him as a fighter. Previous Sakai was perfectly happy to win through understanding and respecting his robot. (He beat Sekai because he knew his robot and its strengths and weaknesses better then Sekai did.)

"I want to have an honorable duel with my rival" is fine but it should have come down to their building philosophies clashing in battle.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Sakai vs. Yuuma really feels like the only rivalry that actually makes sense. It's introduced early on, has a satisfying arc (even if it's mostly Sakai's arc) and has a logical pay-off.

It's a real shame they didn't do the same for Sekai vs. Junya. The whole thing would have been much better if Junya had been established as an antagonist early on and that fight had been the culmination of their rivalry. Also, on rewatch, the whole scene where Junya tries to steal the Build Burning parts/provoke Sekai into getting disqualified by fighting is a terrible wasted opportunity. Instead of having Mirai show up and beat the ever-loving poo poo out of the thugs (since she also knows Jigen Haoh), they decide to have four people repeat the "don't fight" bit until Junya decides to step out of the bushes.

Meanwhile, the Sekai vs. Wilfrid and Fumina vs. Shia rivalries feel like they have zero narrative weight and I have zero reasons to care about them. :shrug:

ImpAtom posted:

"I want to have an honorable duel with my rival" is fine but it should have come down to their building philosophies clashing in battle.

To do that Yuuma would actually have to have a building philosophy, though!

Yuuma's whole "I'm a builder" thing doesn't ever really come across in anything. He's not a guy who can't pilot but comes up with genius ideas for Plavsky particle use like Sei did (or a guy who can pilot and does that anyway like Nils). He doesn't have a special signature build technique or a hard-on for a particular type of mobile suit, he doesn't design anyone's MS except his own (and his is just a lazy "take a Gundam and put more beam weapons on it" design anyway), and they don't even make a big deal out of how he's designed the Lightning (unlike Sei talking about how and why he's made changes to his in Build Fighters).

He doesn't even have any moments where having a builder's mentality causes him issues. The closest the show comes is early on when we're told it's weird for him to accept taking a hit to inflict one, and that's the opposite of his mentality causing him issues.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
That's really the core of it. BF showed. Try tells.

We're told Yuuma is a great builder. We're told Sekai is an interesting character and told that he should has a fierce rivalry with what's his name.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 14, 2015

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

He actually does have a favorite type of suit. Transforming ones, he has the lightning now and in the flashbacks he was using an airmaster.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Instead of having Mirai show up and beat the ever-loving poo poo out of the thugs

I keep legitimately forgetting Mirai is a character. She's the 'image character' for the event but does less that Kirara ever did despite being theoretically a bigger character.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

See this is what happens when you get like five months of planning and production.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I keep legitimately forgetting Mirai is a character. She's the 'image character' for the event but does less that Kirara ever did despite being theoretically a bigger character.

It's really weird, too, because it's not even a time constraint thing. Kirara got a really nice satisfying arc in basically no screen time at all past her intro episode besides a couple of short conversations with Fellini and brief shots of her reacting to what was happening in the tournament.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

This is protagonist. You will like protagonist because it is protagonist. Why do you not like protagonist?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah. Really, it seems like everything outside of Sakai's arc is just sort of... half-assed.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Level Slide posted:

This is protagonist. You will like protagonist because it is protagonist. Why do you not like protagonist?

Sekai is Roman Reigns, my God.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

If the Tryon had run away Sakai would've advanced to the finals but that would've been the lamest, cheapest victory for the opposing team possible. I'm not really sure why that's up for debate. Of course he's gonna go back with the super robot and duel to the finish, this is build fighters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I'd love it if a third series dedicated an entire two-parter to a character building their death Gunpla. A total forty minutes going into the intricacies of why this Gunpla should be called masterfully built instead of a lovely montage.

• Locked thread