Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Vincent posted:

The Speed Force (How does that work?)

The same way everything else with the Speed Force works: arbitrary bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

If you don't lift it by the chains with loud orchestral music in the background, then what's the point?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
And what the hell is Hal doing to it, anyway? Lantern constructs are all temporary figments. "Uh, I did what I could. And all I could do was shine a light at it and go pew pew pew."

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

redbackground posted:

And what the hell is Hal doing to it, anyway? Lantern constructs are all temporary figments. "Uh, I did what I could. And all I could do was shine a light at it and go pew pew pew."

truck nuts

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Reminds me of the time Guy used his ring to create nails for holding beams in place for Scott and Barda's new home, then realised he hadn't charged his ring in a while and had to make a swift and discreet exit.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Monaghan posted:

It's nice to see Batman making mecha suits for himself. Hell it's the first thing I'd do if I became a billionaire.

"I got the idea from this great film I saw when I was younger... I think it had Jeff Daniels in it"

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Ghostlight posted:

It looks less like gore and more like he's just using shreds of his cape as makeshift sparring gloves to protect his famously sensitive knuckles from getting torn up while punching.

Yeah, when I noticed it, that's what I first thought, until I caught

Travis343 posted:

the blood on his feet and splattered all over the ground beneath his fists.

:(

Stupid wrist blades aside, I don't mind WW looking Barda-esque but then that could be 'cause I got a big ol' comics crush on Her Bigness. BB at least knows how to dress for battle. Still, WW's supposed to be a demi-goddess now, who actually doesn't need armor; she's one of the few DC women who gets a pass on not wearing armor because she's fuckin' Wonder Woman, when I think about this poo poo way too much. If anything, I hate that they're gold, not silvery. I'm old enough to cling to the old canon that the whole point of WW wearing those wrist gauntlets was to represent the steely shackles of man. (Yes, yes, canon has changed radically in the past few decades; just nod and agree with gramma here.)

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'm not sure we know for sure that's Bruce in there yet, but...

Batman
Detective Comics
Batgirl
Batman/Superman

Batman's new suit looks more like a bunny than the dude who's literally named Bunny.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Sentinel Red posted:

Reminds me of the time Guy used his ring to create nails for holding beams in place for Scott and Barda's new home, then realised he hadn't charged his ring in a while and had to make a swift and discreet exit.

THAT WAS THE GREEN LANTERN HOUSE IN LOS ANGELES DAMMIT. :mad:

(Guy and Kilowog beat the hell out of each other (and the building) for fun. And then it fell apart, on Arisia's head.)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I loving love the bunny ears. I'm not going to say it makes the costume work, because that would be ridiculous to say, but they do make the costume ridiculous, and if you can't have a good costume, you should have a ridiculous one.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Mister Mind posted:

THAT WAS THE GREEN LANTERN HOUSE IN LOS ANGELES DAMMIT. :mad:

(Guy and Kilowog beat the hell out of each other (and the building) for fun. And then it fell apart, on Arisia's head.)

No, he's referring to Justice League International Annual #2, when Guy, J'onn, Booster, and Rocket Red rebuilt Scott and Barda Free's destroyed house in an ugly mix of styles, but Guy's ring-generated nails faded away and destroyed it all over again.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

No, he's referring to Justice League International Annual #2, when Guy, J'onn, Booster, and Rocket Red rebuilt Scott and Barda Free's destroyed house in an ugly mix of styles, but Guy's ring-generated nails faded away and destroyed it all over again.

After posting, I had the horrible feeling that they might have gone to that well more than once, but I shrugged it off too easily. My apologies, Sentinel Red.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
That Superman non-costume is just awful. It's like they read comments on the internet hating the super-armor and instead of just redesigning that into something resembling a more classic uniform or doing something else without lines all over it they just went totally the other (wrong) way and said "Hey superheroes with 'functional costumes' are in right now huh, well let's just give Clark Kent a T-shirt 2 sizes too small and go!"''

Wonder Woman's not bad though, although I don't get the need for her Baraka Blades.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I know that when I think of Superman, I think of a big aggressive-looking guy I'd be terrified to be alone with.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It seems designed for Greg Pak's July crossover and in that dude I'll entrust everything Superman.
Him and Snyder probably have better ideas for their respective characters than any of us dunderheads do.

e: Not that anyone is required to have all of the context to judge something, but I'm hanging out to get it from Pak and Kuder.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Mar 14, 2015

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

I know that when I think of Superman, I think of a big aggressive-looking guy I'd be terrified to be alone with.

Frat bro date-rapist Superman

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Skwirl posted:

I loving love the bunny ears. I'm not going to say it makes the costume work, because that would be ridiculous to say, but they do make the costume ridiculous, and if you can't have a good costume, you should have a ridiculous one.

My unnatural love for Alan Scott (the not-gay, yet far more flamboyantly dressed one) means I cannot reject this line of reasoning. :tipshat:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Why did Supes lose the armor, how did he get a buzzcut, and why is he punching people with hands wrapped in cape tatters?

I'm half expecting him to show up in a JESUS DIDN'T TAP tshirt by the end of the year.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

He's gonna have a brouhaha with wonder woman while wearing an ''I do alpha poo poo'' shirt

SUPERMANS OVER

HES RUINED

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Superman could be wearing a polo shirt with a tiny S replacing the Ralph Lauren logo, and I'd still think it's be less dumb than Superman wearing armor.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Superman should be a physical representation of hope, he should be a role model for what humanity can achieve as a specie by his actions, demeanor and the image he projects.

I don't know if red shorts and a cape are that but I know that roided-up dude in a tight t-shirt is not it.

They should just give Supes the power to make people see him as what they perceive he should look like. Kinda like Galactus in that FF run.

Hulk Smash! fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 14, 2015

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

NotAnArtist posted:

He's gonna have a brouhaha with wonder woman while wearing an ''I do alpha poo poo'' shirt

SUPERMANS OVER

HES RUINED

Nah it's going to be an Affliction shirt.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Timeless Appeal posted:

Superman could be wearing a polo shirt with a tiny S replacing the Ralph Lauren logo, and I'd still think it's be less dumb than Superman wearing armor.

I really want to see Country Club Superman now.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

x-posting from the Funny Panels thread, because I thought it was this one what with ragging on Wonder Woman's costumes.

Jamie McKelvie had a crack at a redesign of Wonder Woman, just as a what-if.

Tentatively, I like it.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Looks good. Try again on that tiara though.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Let me defend the t-shirt Superman. I think a lot of the problem is more context and broader character design. We've seen Superman scowling, standing in a pool of blood, and ready to in staring match. Also, his haircut is dumb.

I think the costume itself is fine although I'd prefer if he still had the cape. The problem comes with how they depict the character. I think the Morales t-shirt Superman didn't look as good, but it worked because Morrison and Morales created a character who fit the design.

The same design looked dumb as hell when you tried to make it intimidating, but Superman looks dumb as hell when he's intimidating.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
But seriously, is Clark Kent wearing those jeans and boots under his slacks and some nice brogues? Or are people going to be like "boy, from the waist down, you sure dress like Superman."

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That could actually work if he painted Clark Kent's public persona as a fanboy manchild, but that might be too close to home for creators and fans alike.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jeans and boots aren't exactly uncommon clothing.

Also, the Morales design had a cape, which this new one doesn't.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

The thing about T-shirt Superman is that it's a fine piece of visual iconography -- the Goonies used the same loving outfit to great effect -- but it's a lovely Superman costume, because it's not a costume. The whole outfit says: "I am not a traditional superhero, I do not wear a costume". That's fine on a lot of characters, like Superboy, but Superman is the definition of the traditional superhero, and he does wear a costume.

It's like President Obama in a tuxedo T-shirt. It does not work.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

VagueRant posted:

But seriously, is Clark Kent wearing those jeans and boots under his slacks and some nice brogues? Or are people going to be like "boy, from the waist down, you sure dress like Superman."

The way the book is going and current rumours are that Superman is going to reveal his "secret" identity to the world so it may not matter.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

It is going to be a temporary thing for one arc, so I don't see the point in talking about how non-Superman-y it is.

The Batman one is awkward even for a brief gimmick.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DigitalRaven posted:

x-posting from the Funny Panels thread, because I thought it was this one what with ragging on Wonder Woman's costumes.

Jamie McKelvie had a crack at a redesign of Wonder Woman, just as a what-if.

Tentatively, I like it.

I like it just because I'm tired of Wonder Woman constantly wearing armor when she has absolutely no need for it.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

McSpanky posted:

I really want to see Country Club Superman now.

Must have an ascot with a S-logo stickpin.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

muscles like this? posted:

I like it just because I'm tired of Wonder Woman constantly wearing armor when she has absolutely no need for it.

Wonder Woman reveals she is really an anime, as she throws off her armored bits, only for them to crater the ground, revealing she'd been wearing six 1000 pound weights on her costume for the past year, and now she's getting serious.

No I don't think this would actually ever happen.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I'm not normally one to nit-pick the reality of costumes. I'll cheerfully accept that Batman's pouches are magical Bags of Holding, and don't give much thought to how WW's lasso just stays stuck to her hip in some renderings.

But I was just re-reading 52 #25, where the back-up bit is the history of Nightwing. And I started thinking: Where the hell does he keep those batons of his? (Don't go for the low-hanging fruit joke, I already thought it.)

I like the current Nightwing design, and since he's a former acrobat, it actually makes sense. Dude doesn't want to be encumbered with a cape or heavy boots, blends in in the shadows, minimalist trim. (His Perez outfit, though... jesus.)

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Nightwing's batons magnetize to his back or something, and Wonder Woman totally does the weighted clothing bit when she takes off her bracelets. They restrain her godly might. It was actually pretty bad rear end.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Die Laughing posted:

Nightwing's batons magnetize to his back or something, and Wonder Woman totally does the weighted clothing bit when she takes off her bracelets. They restrain her godly might. It was actually pretty bad rear end.

Oh, so Azzarello played Sonic '06? :v:

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

mind the walrus posted:

That could actually work if he painted Clark Kent's public persona as a fanboy manchild, but that might be too close to home for creators and fans alike.

You'd still run into people who never met him that'd jump onto the idea he was superman, it'd work better for Bruce Wayne with his late night purchase of a custom all leather Batsuit hitting TMZ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Crossposting from the Funny Panels derail:

Mr. Maltose posted:

The one Cliif Chiang redesign that DC almost greenlit with the Visual Kei Joker and Hal Jordan as Cobra The Legendary Bandit owned, though. It also had the greatest Wonderwoman design of all time.

Can anyone track this down?

• Locked thread