Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Captain Walker posted:

At least those make a little sense, unlike the Lawson promo costume for Wang Yuanji in Dynasty Warriors. You know, because it's otherwise known for being a historically accurate depiction of 4th century China.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

There's also Calorie-Mate and Doritos in Metal Gear, though the latter was JP only if I recall correctly.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Motto posted:

There's also Calorie-Mate and Doritos in Metal Gear, though the latter was JP only if I recall correctly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk4ZJz6jlZc

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsFFlyC4i64

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Lawson does a lot of exclusivity things even outside of games. If you want to go to the Ghibli museum or get certain concert tickets, you have to go to a Lawson and use their ticket kiosk.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Is this for-reals?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

The_Frag_Man posted:

Is this for-reals?

In the real game you get an apple brand ipod

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The_Frag_Man posted:

Is this for-reals?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dnW8QJxHD0

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Neeksy posted:

Lawson does a lot of exclusivity things even outside of games. If you want to go to the Ghibli museum or get certain concert tickets, you have to go to a Lawson and use their ticket kiosk.

Can you just buy a ghibli ticket? For some reason I thought you have to reserve months ahead.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Can you just buy a ghibli ticket? For some reason I thought you have to reserve months ahead.

When I did it, I had to buy a ticket at a Lawson in advance. Not months, though. It might be a longer wait list now.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Neeksy posted:

When I did it, I had to buy a ticket at a Lawson in advance. Not months, though. It might be a longer wait list now.

I'll see if I can get one 2 weeks in advance then, thanks. I arrive in Tokyo the 4th of April and then head out on trains but will be back in Tokyo 13-19, maybe I can grab one before I leave.

Also if P4Dance was out in Japan in April I honestly would have bought a JP copy, it doesn't need a translation because the language of Dance is Universal

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

But then you wouldn't get the deep and impactful story behind why they are Dancing All Night.

Also I feel like I should be appalled on some level by those marketing money grabs in Japanese games, but honestly it's just so stupid that I can't help but laugh at it.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I'll see if I can get one 2 weeks in advance then, thanks. I arrive in Tokyo the 4th of April and then head out on trains but will be back in Tokyo 13-19, maybe I can grab one before I leave.

Also if P4Dance was out in Japan in April I honestly would have bought a JP copy, it doesn't need a translation because the language of Dance is Universal

You should be fine. Last time I was out there, I had a ticket I'd booked months in advance, but in the end, I couldn't make the time on it, so I went into a Lawson and got one with no trouble for the next week.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Manatee Cannon posted:

Also I feel like I should be appalled on some level by those marketing money grabs in Japanese games, but honestly it's just so stupid that I can't help but laugh at it.

It's really no different from Doritos and Dew offering poo poo like bonus COD experience.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

But then you wouldn't get the deep and impactful story behind why they are Dancing All Night.

This isn't really anything new. Hell, Super Mario Bros 2 was originally a licensed tie-in game in Japan starring a bunch of television mascots.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

My personal favorite is in Madden 25, where not the stat, but the act of leveling up a couple of your stats is sponsored by Snickers and Red Bull.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

This isn't really anything new. Hell, Super Mario Bros 2 was originally a licensed tie-in game in Japan starring a bunch of television mascots.

thankfully, it was all just a dream

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

In the meantime see if they sell any LE SMT/Atlus merch there. I still want to know if you can buy a Jack Frost plush/doll even though it's discontinued years ago. I know I already own a Raiho one but still :sigh:

The persona figs are nice but pricey.

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
Well, it happened. I met Matador. He wiped me by casting Mazan four times in a row (I had a demon weak to force..), but mainly because I didn't realize that I was about to fight him. Now to reload and kick his rear end...

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

The second Persona 3 movie has subs now, you should download it

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.
So just finished up SMT:IV neutral route (and gently caress beezlebub, I'm not returning his calls). Out of curiosity, having played nocturne but not the earlier SMT games, is IV actually a sequel to any of the earlier ones?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
It's implied, IIRC, that the end result of the neutral route in SMTII is just the reconstruction of the exact same civilization, which then gets wrecked in the next game. Probably the same with Nocturne.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Wookie Bouquet posted:

So just finished up SMT:IV neutral route (and gently caress beezlebub, I'm not returning his calls). Out of curiosity, having played nocturne but not the earlier SMT games, is IV actually a sequel to any of the earlier ones?

IV is standalone, like Nocturne. Only I and II are sequels to each other in the mainline games.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
There's also implication that IV is in the same world as Strange Journey, but even if they are then they're entirely separate in events and location.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

don't make me post one of those SMT fan timelines again

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Excels posted:

don't make me post one of those SMT fan timelines again

Do it

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

and a supposedly official japanese one of the early games:

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Thanks. That's interesting in a sort of crazy way. I do like the idea that the neutral ending of Strange Journey leads to SMT IV

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Then there's the timeline split where Yu either goes back to the city, stays in Inaba, or fails to stop the murders. I think Wind Waker is in the first one.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Waffleman_ posted:

Then there's the timeline split where Yu either goes back to the city, stays in Inaba, or fails to stop the murders. I think Wind Waker is in the first one.
Don't forget the Child Yu and Adult Yu timelines. Child Yu can't push the blocks in the TV World or ride the bike around Inaba, but Adult Yu can't use the slingshot

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

"i want to get into SMT, where should i start?"

*deep breath, readies flowcharts*

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Oh and then there is that game where child Yu leaves inaba and then has to stop the moon from falling in three days to save Japan.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

littleorv posted:

Oh and then there is that game where child Yu leaves inaba and then has to stop the moon from falling in three days to save Japan.

To be fair, when you put it like that, Majora's Mask does sound pretty SMT-y.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

they did the moon falling in P3

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

You even go inside the moon for a weird final boss fight.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Both games also deal with themes of loss, moving on, and gaining immense magical power by hiding your true self behind a facade you present to the rest of the world.

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012
I think my favorite part of that timeline is Catherine just sitting there on it in the middle of nowhere

I mean why not just throw Trauma Center and Etrian Odyssey in some space in that timeline while you are at it
Where does Purikura fit into the SMT timeline?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

asvodel posted:

I think my favorite part of that timeline is Catherine just sitting there on it in the middle of nowhere

I mean why not just throw Trauma Center and Etrian Odyssey in some space in that timeline while you are at it
Where does Purikura fit into the SMT timeline?

Well, Vincent shows up in Persona 3 Portable which is I assume why.

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Well, Vincent shows up in Persona 3 Portable which is I assume why.

There's no actual connection drawn between them on the chart though.
There should really be a line connecting it to P3 Portable "because Vincent is in it" and a line connecting it to Persona Q because "there's dolls of the Sheep men and Vincent on screen for a half second".
It would make as much sense as most of the rest of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Wasn't Catherine made by the Persona team? That might have been the justification.