Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

Trabisnikof posted:

Yeah but most of the places you list are either far outside the control of Austin planners (Lakeway or Bee Cave) or are places that were actually developed decades ago and are either being redeveloped or finally filling in (Southwest Parkway or Anderson Mill).

I agree, and of course I also agree that growth northeast towards Pflugerville is "better" (I guess), but though Austin can't do anything about growth in Lakeway (like the Lake Austin side of 620 - holy cow, over the past 5 years that's insane - and yes it's all SFR) or Bee Cave, the traffic implications are ultimately a problem for Austin. Maybe the city shouldn't own the problem, but good luck getting people in Lakeway to do anything other than propose literally insane alternatives like a toll road cutting from Four Points over the lake to 2271 (yes, really).

Another problem is the fucks who live out in that part of the county like me are highly unlikely to embrace mass transit. (I would of course, and my kids definitely would, but what can you do. I moved here when I was much dumber.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Heh, apparently there are discussions toward eliminating daylight savings time in Texas going on in some committee or another. I'm not opposed to the idea.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice

ReidRansom posted:

Heh, apparently there are discussions toward eliminating daylight savings time in Texas going on in some committee or another. I'm not opposed to the idea.

Awesome! I've been thinking lately that daylight savings time is one of the few issues that could be tackled with bipartisan support. Hopefully we eliminate it.

e: found a link http://trailblazersblog.dallasnews.com/2015/03/about-time-this-week-texas-house-committee-will-discuss-killing-daylight-saving-time.html/

karlor fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 10, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh for gently caress's sake

quote:

"Tearing them down is hardly the deal," Geren said minutes after Stickland shared the story on Twitter. "If Stickland wants to act like a child, that's fair, but I did not rip it down."

Stickland is like, the loving worst.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

zoux posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake

Stickland is like, the loving worst.

Hey, I agree. Once he became a human he stopped being a fetus :getin:

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.
Texas HB3389 2015, introduced by Senfronia Thompson of district 141 in NE Houston (D), is an attempt to amend the laws passed a few years back about local brewers and distribution. Specifically, instead of independent brewers being able to distribute only 40,000 barrels of beer per year within the state, Ms. Thompson proposes that they instead be allowed to distribute up to 5,000 barrels per year.

Wait. No missing zero? Oh.

A quick amateurish google map checks suggest that her district (141) does not include the sites of the Houston Miller-Coors or Anheuser-Busch breweries. :v:

[edit] ah HA!!! She's picked up significant donations from the Beer Alliance of Texas, a beer distribution lobbying group.

emfive fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 14, 2015

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Some douche filed a bill trying to make it illegal to record cops, ahahhahaha. But I don't have the details handy.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

ReidRansom posted:

Some douche filed a bill trying to make it illegal to record cops, ahahhahaha. But I don't have the details handy.

Rep. Villalba (R - Dallas 114), HB 2918. (Note that when searching for Texas leg bills you have to include the year because they re-use the numbers.)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ReidRansom posted:

Here it is

quote:

Dallas Rep. Jason Villalba filed a bill that would make it a Class B misdemeanor for anyone but news media to record police within 25 feet, or within 100 feet if the person carries a handgun. The proposal would exempt from the law members of the traditional news media — including newspapers, magazines and licensed radio and television stations — who could be as close as 10 feet away.

Shannon noted that the proposal requires officers to determine who is a journalist and who is not. The question is a “wide-open one,” Shannon said.
Frazier said “trained investigators” could easily tell the difference between news media members and independent bloggers.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Wow. What is this guy thinking?

Breitbart:

quote:

Villalba’s bill would also make it illegal for private citizens to record their own interactions with police officers. In fact, the language is so broad, in prohibiting “documenting” the police officer’s activities, that taking notes during a conversation with an officer, about what was being said, the officer’s badge number, etc., could be construed as a violation. Besides the fact that law enforcement agencies themselves have acknowledged the role that cameras can play in reducing both incidents and false claims of police brutality — as evidenced by the rising support for police body cameras — this bill directly contradicts established case law precedent allowing citizens to videotape police.

Open Carry Texas:

quote:

You’re a tyrant to the oath you took and should be tried for treason. Stop using the word democracy like you understand what it means or that’s how We function as a government. This is a constitutional republic. If you don’t like that then get the hell out of office or be prepared to face The consequences of violating your oath

H-Chron:

quote:

I thought that Republicans were supposed to be the protectors of liberty, free speech, and the 2nd Amendment. Right? Well, not if you are Rep. Jason Villalba (144-Dallas). It seems that Rep. Villalba, in an attempt to please “the good men and women in blue”, has decided that the First and Second Amendments need to be tossed aside

:can:

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

Wow. What is this guy thinking?

Breitbart:

Open Carry Texas:

H-Chron:

:can:

yea it's kind-of a bad sign when a Republican idea gets poo poo thrown at if from Breitbart and Open Carry Texas.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Breitbart's not even approaching it from the the correct angle, they just think the law will prevent video taping being able to truthiness all those FALSE POLICE BRUTALITY reports. Also they can be dismissed as libertarian trash by the establishment.

edit: We're a reactionary pit, they'll do whatever it takes to keep things Top Heavy.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
My state rep introduced a medical marijuana bill :3:

Too bad it'll never pass.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

emfive posted:

yea it's kind-of a bad sign when a Republican idea gets poo poo thrown at if from Breitbart and Open Carry Texas.

Literally everyone wants to record cops. Minorities want to record to have proof when some cop slams their head into the hood of their car, crazy white libertarians want to record them as proof of the GOVERNMENT THUGS HARASSING FREEMEN, democrats want to record them because of opposing police militarization, republicans want to record them because they're agents of the state, literally everyone wants these rules.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Literally everyone wants to record cops. Minorities want to record to have proof when some cop slams their head into the hood of their car, crazy white libertarians want to record them as proof of the GOVERNMENT THUGS HARASSING FREEMEN, democrats want to record them because of opposing police militarization, republicans want to record them because they're agents of the state, literally everyone wants these rules.

Police should want body cameras because they'll disprove false allegations of abuse, but strangely, for some reason, cops mostly seem to oppose them.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

PostNouveau posted:

Police should want body cameras because they'll disprove false allegations of abuse, but strangely, for some reason, cops mostly seem to oppose them.

They say it's because their bosses will harass them. But they have the literal best unions in the country so gently caress that noise.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

This is how you do an open carry protest

(Not my photo so b/w for effect)

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Open carry passes the senate? All my friends are out on Facebook talking about how everyone is going to be shooting into the sky and duels in the streets. Shooting someone is still illegal last time I checked.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Licensed open carry at least. The nuts who showed up at the Capitol and threatened legislators must be pissed because most of them have records that make them unable to get a concealed carry license.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It'll have a much harder time in the House. Pancho Nevarez has a built in opposition tactic with a media narrative that writes itself. Also, Strauss has kind of been flexing on the Tea Party members this session.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

zoux posted:

It'll have a much harder time in the House. Pancho Nevarez has a built in opposition tactic with a media narrative that writes itself. Also, Strauss has kind of been flexing on the Tea Party members this session.

Unrelated, were you the one who made that single space infinite garbage dump?

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW
when is texas just going to turn into a swing state already

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

illrepute posted:

when is texas just going to turn into a swing state already

Can't have Latinos swinging the state if they're not allowed to vote. :getin:

Also, nice avatar, zoux.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nonsense posted:

Unrelated, were you the one who made that single space infinite garbage dump?

Huh?

Also Open Carry is in a House committee today and the gun rights people are appearing as sane and courteous

I'm not listening to it but I'm following the live tweets and these guys are saying some seriously nutso stuff. An ex-con who did 18 years saying he needs a gun because "there is evil in this world that I cannot describe".

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 17, 2015

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

zoux posted:

Huh?

Also Open Carry is in a House committee today and the gun rights people are appearing as sane and courteous

I'm not listening to it but I'm following the live tweets and these guys are saying some seriously nutso stuff. An ex-con who did 18 years saying he needs a gun because "there is evil in this world that I cannot describe".

To be fair, after taking a few semesters of English I'm surprised if anyone in the state can describe the color of the sky, let alone the nature of evil.

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 17, 2015

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

zoux posted:

Huh?

I don't want to start a gun debate but I was under the assumption that if you had a prior conviction you couldn't buy or own a gun anymore. If these guys were walking around with a pistol wouldn't they just be arrested for possession of a firearm based on their ex-con status?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rabble posted:

I don't want to start a gun debate but I was under the assumption that if you had a prior conviction you couldn't buy or own a gun anymore. If these guys were walking around with a pistol wouldn't they just be arrested for possession of a firearm based on their ex-con status?

Those are, I believe, misdemeanor convictions. The bill that passed the Senate would just replace the current CHL with a general "handgun license" which still has the same background checks. SOmething that would disallow you from carrying under the current (and proposed) law is a Class A or B misdemeanor. That doesn't preclude you from owning a gun, just getting a CHL. Watkins etal have been open carrying long guns which is allowed in law. If they are concealed carrying handguns, well no one knows.

They are pushing for "constitutional carry" which means that the second part of the second amendment is the whole of the law and anyone anywhere can carry a gun open or concealed with no licensing at all.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Who are you following for live tweets?

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Rabble posted:

Heh, driving on a suspended licence. I'm surprised they didn't include parking tickets.
I think these jokers are stupid, and I don't like their tactics, they are far from hardened criminals.

It's only a felony conviction that removes your gun ownership rights.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Who are you following for live tweets?

Well, the committee is in recess until after the House session, but @chucklindell of the Statesman and @lmcgaughy of the Houston Chronicle were covering the committee. Not sure if they'll be on it this afternoon, but #txlege is an extremely active hashtag and that's pretty much how I found all the people I follow now.

Interesting, while the Senate is trying to fulfill Abbott's "cut taxes" mandate through property taxes, the House is looking at much more egalitarian sales tax cuts.

quote:

Rep. Dennis Bonnen, who heads the tax-writing House Ways and Means Committee, pointed out that the sales tax is one controlled by the state while property taxes are levied at the local level.

That makes it more difficult for state officials to control property tax revenues, said Bonnen, R-Angleton.

"At the end of the day the Legislature should do what we're responsible and control of and we should allow our local officials to do their job," Bonnen said in an interview, adding that local officials face voters just as state officials do.

"The information we're starting to see shows that cutting the sales tax, cutting the franchise tax, drives economic growth far more than cutting the property tax," Bonnen said. "And those also are taxes that we control."

House Speaker Joe Straus, R-San Antonio, said in an interview, "I don't think there has been an approach yet that we've all coalesced around, but in general, tax relief is a priority and the details will be filled in in the weeks and months to come."

Bonnen is pretty loving conservative so this is a surprise to me.

Also, my pick for Biggest Piece of poo poo in the Statehouse Jonathan Stickland has decided he doesn't want any of his legislative package to pass the Senate.

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 17, 2015

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

zoux posted:

Huh?

You had a Cities: Skylines av before your current one about the trash dump. Thought it was that special modded trash dump.

Also I wish the ex-Con fought instead for the right to vote rather than wield something that will probably put him back behind bars.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Dahn posted:

Heh, driving on a suspended licence. I'm surprised they didn't include parking tickets.
I think these jokers are stupid, and I don't like their tactics, they are far from hardened criminals.

One of them was convicted for violent assault and battery.

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

Nonsense posted:

You had a Cities: Skylines av before your current one about the trash dump. Thought it was that special modded trash dump.

Also I wish the ex-Con fought instead for the right to vote rather than wield something that will probably put him back behind bars.

Felons have the right to vote in Texas, assuming that they're no longer on parole or probation.

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

enraged_camel posted:

One of them was convicted for violent assault and battery.

http://fortressamerica.gawker.com/this-texas-open-carry-activist-says-hes-ready-to-kill-l-1683782542

quote:

Though it's not stated in his video, part of Watkins' anger over Texas' proposed open carry law is that it would bar him from obtaining a carry license, because he's been arrested for interfering with a police officer—a disqualifying factor.

That's the Texas Statehouse behind him.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Nonsense posted:

Getting your rights taken away after you've done your time is bullshit. Yes I know it's in the constitution doesn't mean it isn't dumb.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004
Confederate Battle flag on your license plate.
Free speech or going to far.

The link

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Good article about the anti-gay marriage rally on the Capitol steps yesterday.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

zoux posted:

Good article about the anti-gay marriage rally on the Capitol steps yesterday.

I have never understood why people are so against this.
(willing to go to jail for it????)
It's not like it's going to create more gay people.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dahn posted:

I have never understood why people are so against this.
(willing to go to jail for it????)
It's not like it's going to create more gay people.

They think gay sex and gay kissing is gross. That's the visceral reaction they have to it, but also they believe that if we allow gay marriage then God will react at best by withdrawing his blessing from America and at worst literally rain fire and brimstone down on us ala Sodom and Gomorrah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

zoux posted:

they believe that if we allow gay marriage then God will react at best by withdrawing his blessing from America and at worst literally rain fire and brimstone down on us ala Sodom and Gomorrah.

What the rest of us would call climate change.