Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

TomR posted:

Did anyone ever make a tape deck that took cassettes but ran faster, or would that be pointless?

I have never heard of it, and it would be an exercise in futility. To have any real benefit, you would have to run at double or quadruple speed, and halve or quarter the playing time. So a standard C60 tape would only be able to fit 15 or 7½ minutes per side.

If you compensate for that by using longer-running tapes such as C120 or C180, you have to use thinner tape to make it fit, and that decreases fidelity significantly, and makes the tape much more vulnerable to stretching and other damage.

I've never seen a C180 in real life, but according to wikipedia, the tape is thin enough to be nearly transparent, and has just barely enough magnetic material to record anything intelligible.

So you quickly run into issues if you want to increase fidelity by upping tape speed on cassette tapes. It was never meant to be anything other than a cheap portable-friendly format with "that'll do" sound quality. Initially it was meant for voice recording only, so the fact that we even got the sound quality that we did out of the drat things is an amazing achievement. Dolby noise reduction and HX Pro etc. are amazing feats of engineering.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
That's what I figured. I forgot that tapes had short play times as is.

Really makes you appreciate what a wonderful thing the CD was when it came out.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

TomR posted:

That's what I figured. I forgot that tapes had short play times as is.

Really makes you appreciate what a wonderful thing the CD was when it came out.

Imagine how mindblowing those shiny discs with the equivalent of 600+MB of data were in the late 70s/early 80s.

In the early 80s, the state of art for consumer portable data storage was the 5¼" floppy, which at that time had a maximum capacity of 720KB, and only with specific drives on specific OSes. The 3½" floppy was introduced in 1983 with a capacity of 360KB.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 13, 2015

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
When I got my first CD drive, my hard drive had less than 600 MB. It was a massive jump in technology.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time

TomR posted:

Did anyone ever make a tape deck that took cassettes but ran faster, or would that be pointless?

8 tracks ran faster on an endless loop so they wore out quicker and were essentially replaced by cassettes(except for quadraphonic)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TheLastManStanding posted:

When I got my first CD drive, my hard drive had less than 600 MB. It was a massive jump in technology.

I remember getting a Zip drive for our Performa 450 which came with a 120 MB hard drive.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
Pfffft! I remember using a Sony Cassette Corder as a tape drive for a Tandy Color Computer II. I used that same device to listen to my Labrynth soundtrack tape.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Well, I guess it's garage sale season already. I got this Technics SL-3300 for a whopping $6 from a lady who just bought a bunch of storage lockers and was letting people dig through them. I know a lot of people turn their nose up to fully automatic tables because the high-end tables are usually manual function, but I don't know if I can go back after having a couple automatic tables in a row now.

Also picked up a Sony ps-210 for the same price, but it turns out it must have been in a really hot place because every plastic piece on it is slightly warped and it doesn't run well at all. At least I can salvage the slipmat and cartridge.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

$6 for a Technics SL (even if it is less sought-after than the 1000/1100/1200) is an outright steal, nice find!

A fully functional full-auto turntable is wonderful piece of mechanical design in action. Even on my old semi-auto Thorens it was was pretty cool to study how intricate the auto-return/stop system was.

I love the full-auto turntables that automatically sense which size record you have on and literally do everything for you apart from actually putting the record on the platter and turning it over at the end of a side. All you have to do is press "start". Which we obviously take for a given now, but I bet it was totally amazing when it was introduced.

Grapeshot
Oct 21, 2010
I guess it's $6 turntable day then? I bought a Pioneer PL-220 today for the same price. Won't be able to test it until I replace the belt because the one that's on there has turned into some horrible jelly. Even if 80s Pioneer isn't so great, it's now the only table I have that takes a standard 1/2" cartridge.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Glad people are getting cool stuff! The Pioneer PL-1000A that I worked on for a friend, he gave it to me since I fixed up a bunch of equipment for him.

Also I'll take a full auto table over a manual table any day, my SL-1200 sits unused since I got the SL-1600 MK2.

WA27 that is a good table, just go through relube and deoxit the POTs and enjoy. I wanna say it has two sets of pitch pots, one based on a circuit board that you have to access from underneath, hit though up first along with the 33/45 switch.

TomR posted:

I had a Marantz tape deck that went up to 3 3/4, but like Kozmo said, what's the point. Quick googling shows this might have been done before Dolby NR got big.

TooLShack fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 14, 2015

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

wa27 posted:

Well, I guess it's garage sale season already. I got this Technics SL-3300 for a whopping $6 from a lady who just bought a bunch of storage lockers and was letting people dig through them. I know a lot of people turn their nose up to fully automatic tables because the high-end tables are usually manual function, but I don't know if I can go back after having a couple automatic tables in a row now.

Also picked up a Sony ps-210 for the same price, but it turns out it must have been in a really hot place because every plastic piece on it is slightly warped and it doesn't run well at all. At least I can salvage the slipmat and cartridge.

I dread the day that my PS-X800 finally breaks down. I can't go back to manual TTs and I know I'll be looking at :retrogames: to replace it with a modern equivalent (is there anything that would even stack up nowadays?) or to get it repaired.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I don't feel like I'm missing anything with my manual SL-1500, honestly. It's not that hard to work the cue lever and position the arm yourself.

The mechanical intricacy of full auto is intriguing, but in the grand scheme of things it's not that huge of difference in actual use.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The automatic function on my turntable (I forget which model) is broken and half the time I have to fight it to actually start playing and I'd prefer manual just for that. I'm sure if I pulled it apart, I could fix it.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
What's the general consensus on using the cueing lever versus hand cueing. I think when I first started I used the lever for a while but now it's just easier and more accurate for me to do it manually.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Holy poo poo, is customer service completely dead?

I just received a limited edition album, with poster, snazzy sleeves, fancy red vinyl, the whole deal. Unfortunately, the inner sleeves are ruined by the records sliding around and punching through the paper at the top.

Obviously, I sent an e-mail to Napalm Records about it, including pictures and everything, saying that I would like to exchange it for an undamaged copy. It's a limited edition record, but I can see one copy left in stock on their web store.

So what kind of reply do I get?

quote:

Great that you did receive your order and sad to hear about the Powerwolf Inner Sleeves
We always try to pack as good as possible but such things can always happen on the Post Way. Unfortunately we do not have any Extra Innersleeves
which we could send you and we are pretty sure that Red Vinyls are not damaged and will play without any Problem
Sorry very much

:wtf:

That is not how you do customer service, you gigantic idiot German fuckface.

I have replied in a polite but very firm tone that I expect to receive a perfect-condition album to replace the damaged one, after which they will take back the damaged album, and pay for all shipping.

If that doesn't work, I guess I'll have to raise a complaint with Paypal that I was not delivered the promised product in the promised condition. I'd hate for it to get that far, though.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 16, 2015

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I stopped buying limited pressings of new albums because the quality control these days is abysmal.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Everything else seems good enough, the records themselves look alright (I haven't played them, in case I need to return the album), and I have a couple of other limited pressings that sound perfectly fine. But I guess a lot of the limited pressings are meant to just go on a shelf and never be played.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Just flipped a record and got some weird static buzzing at the beginning of Side B that went away and then returned. Sounded like the record was slowing down with it so I was thinking it was the TT and promptly lifted the needle, buzz persisted, unplugged it, buzz buzz!

Removing my speaker cable from the back of the receiver stopped the buzzing, putting them back in anywhere in it gets the buzz to return. Only hearing this problem on the Phono setting, radio doesn't seem to be affected, CD was fine.

Sounds like maybe I popped a ground cap or something? Any ideas? I'm running a Technics receiver from Goodwill. It has a ground skinny thing on the back next to the phono input but I'm really not sure what it does other than screw and unscrew. :\

I want to listen to my records :C

EDIT: Disconnecting and reconnecting everything solved the problem for a few minutes but now it's back. Sound definitely is distorting and slowing down and speeding up. What is thiiiiiisss

EDIT2: Unplugging my 1970s era heating pad from the same surge protector as my receiver seems to have permanently solved the issue :v:

Quidthulhu fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 17, 2015

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time

I'd recommend keeping the records in proper inner sleeves, not buying from them again, enjoy the music and stop being a giant baby

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Elrobot posted:

I'd recommend keeping the records in proper inner sleeves, not buying from them again, enjoy the music

Well yes, I do have proper lined inner sleeves, however the included inner sleeves are printed instead of just plain white paper, which is why I'm annoyed that they're damaged. They're part of the artwork.

And unfortunately, the store in question is run by the record company, and is the only place to get the limited editions. If this is the usual state of affairs, I'll just stick to physical record stores and bins at thrift stores.

quote:

and stop being a giant baby

Wouldn't you complain if you bought something brand new and it turned up damaged?

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -