Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Blue mountain has an issue with mob density where you can be swamped really hard, if you dont have some form of control it can get dicey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Blue mountain has an issue with mob density where you can be swamped really hard, if you dont have some form of control it can get dicey.

Only in a few areas really. If you stay around the roads and dip into areas you want to go from there you don't have much trouble. It's when you go exploring the countryside or that mine that you really start getting hosed. The countryside and woods had might as well be nicknamed Wendigo Land given the number of those fuckers out there and the mine has a really good narrative reason for being such a pain in the rear end.

Though a few quests are just a hilarious gently caress you to the player. Like that intro quest to the zone that takes you by the bridge. You walk past all these corpses and think "Wow, something must have really hosed these people up." right around the time you realize that you were fighting zombies in the previous zones. Cue possibly dozens of corpses starting to stand up before rushing you. :stonk:

The mobs do feel like they get a huge buff between the two zones though. Plus something about the pacing of the second zone seems to make people breeze through it before they're geared up for the next one.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 12, 2015

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Archonex posted:

The mobs do feel like they get a huge buff between the two zones though. Plus something about the pacing of the second zone seems to make people breeze through it before they're geared up for the next one.

I think this is because there are two sets of breadcrumbs leading you to Blue Mountain and insufficient lines taking you around to all the hubs in Savage Coast. If you do the Motel, University, Town, Fishing Lodge, Amusement Park, and League of Monster Hunters, you'll probably even be over-leveled for Blue Mountain. Almost nobody ever does all that, though.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Blue Mountain has harder enemies than the mobs in Egypt I found.

Not in the Sun Temple or some such, that's where I pretty much stopped playing.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
What's a good skill setup with the revamp? I was using fists/blade but I've long lost the guide I was using to figure out what setup and skills I was going after and I figure the reshuffle has changed what I'd want anyway.

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck
Calling all the basic bitches: Where are your horse masks?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Toshimo posted:

I think this is because there are two sets of breadcrumbs leading you to Blue Mountain and insufficient lines taking you around to all the hubs in Savage Coast. If you do the Motel, University, Town, Fishing Lodge, Amusement Park, and League of Monster Hunters, you'll probably even be over-leveled for Blue Mountain. Almost nobody ever does all that, though.

I went to BM under leveled, and ended up backtracking to completionist Savage Coast. That got me over the hump. After that it was smooth sailing and I just hit Transylvania a few days before the patch. Subsequently I got sidetracked my KSP, so I haven't experienced it's painful glory yet.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
I want to enjoy the game but I feel like something about it just doesn't play nice with my graphics card so I waste a long time trying to fix it and then the game inevitably crashes as I alt-tab a bunch and play with settings.

Shadows on people's faces and skin aren't black like it feels they're supposed to be. Instead, they end up red and weird looking. It's really noticeable on some characters like the fortune teller in Innsmouth.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Wait a minute. There's a revamp?!

Metallia
Sep 17, 2014

flatluigi posted:

What's a good skill setup with the revamp? I was using fists/blade but I've long lost the guide I was using to figure out what setup and skills I was going after and I figure the reshuffle has changed what I'd want anyway.

hi flat

blade/fist is still fine but you might need to refocus on blade if you're heavily invested in fists since blade is basically the best open world pve weapon at this point

http://www.tsw-builder.com/#13v111144113115106315311p310114112110530330403

here's a good early game build; I forget exactly where you stopped but let me know and I can tweak it for some slightly better, more expensive skills

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I don't have the client installed right now, so I have to ask a stupid question: does having the run boost toggle you get for leveling affect jump distance? Because I completely forgot that was a thing the last time I played (the Hallowe'en content last year) and I hit a brick wall trying to open the City of the Sun God because I'd consistently miss jumps by a hair during an earlier quest.

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

Bieeardo posted:

does having the run boost toggle you get for leveling affect jump distance?

As far as I can tell, it does.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Yeah I've always noticed it helps, always frustrating to have something catch you with an attack right before a jump and oh god why am I so slow I"M FALLING ARGHhhhh

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

TGG posted:

Yeah I've always noticed it helps, always frustrating to have something catch you with an attack right before a jump and oh god why am I so slow I"M FALLING ARGHhhhh

This is why I err on the side of "Ehhhhhhhh" when it comes to platforming in MMOs. It doesn't help that I'm not a fan of platformers.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

mulodyne posted:

hi flat

blade/fist is still fine but you might need to refocus on blade if you're heavily invested in fists since blade is basically the best open world pve weapon at this point

http://www.tsw-builder.com/#13v111144113115106315311p310114112110530330403

here's a good early game build; I forget exactly where you stopped but let me know and I can tweak it for some slightly better, more expensive skills

yeah I'm a bit past that now and was starting to go after some more expensive skills, lemme see if i can grab an image of what I've got unlocked

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Here's what I've got:

Basically, all of Fists, Blades, and Blood Magic unlocked, with Vital Fluids under BM 'Transmission' and Brandish, Brandishing Support, Matador, and Riposte unlocked under Blades "Running of the Jagged.' I think I was going for "Finish the Movement" in that.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Warmachine posted:

This is why I err on the side of "Ehhhhhhhh" when it comes to platforming in MMOs. It doesn't help that I'm not a fan of platformers.

For me it came down to looking for help on the official boards (oh, god) and finding a related thread where the best suggestions were to go in and screw with your basic networking settings, connect the modem directly to your computer, and sacrifice a goat to the latency gods.

I've got a vacation coming up and probably some bandwidth to spare. I think I'll reinstall and see if remembering the runspeed buff helps.

Metallia
Sep 17, 2014

flatluigi posted:

Here's what I've got:

Basically, all of Fists, Blades, and Blood Magic unlocked, with Vital Fluids under BM 'Transmission' and Brandish, Brandishing Support, Matador, and Riposte unlocked under Blades "Running of the Jagged.' I think I was going for "Finish the Movement" in that.

here is what i would work towards then

http://www.drakkashi.com/secretworld/wheel.php?1=1&4=4&16=2&0=6&3=3&21=0&1=5&19=2&19=0&2=1&35=0&54=2&1=0&27=6

this build gives you tankiness and a heal while making you a pbaoe blender; very good for story mode content. it's modular and will last you up to tokyo, where you will probably have to tweak it again but by then that probably won't be a problem. i recommend you wear talismans with HP on them for this, running 1970 hp won't work.

you should also get finish the movement at some point, as it's a really sick ability for a few of the best dungeon dps specs in the game, but that's way down the line and even if you want to do them.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So the revamp is really nice. Seems to have made the game much more enjoyable. I actually feel like combat isn't a tedious slogfest now. Hell, i'd even recommend people to try to pick up the game. Tokyo is a proper survival horror experience now too since it wasn't given a mob rebalancing. You go from a challenge to literally being terrified of walking on the streets due to the difficulty jump in mobs. It's pretty entertaining to see new players to the zone cringing at the mobs every time they come out of Agartha.

But that's not the important part of this post. No, the important part is that they've added in a ton of :swoon: fabulous pretty princess :swoon: enabling clothing. Now your horrible neckbeard of a paranormal investigator can wear a Hawaiian shirt and look like a true beach bum.

Apparently this is part of the "Pangaea" update, which adds a ton more customization in to the game. Dark Side has two new vendors that rotate stock every day. I've seen everything from goth clothing to stuff that would look appropriate on a stereotype of a tourist in a foreign country. It's pretty great. It's also pretty expensive too, so it's something to spend that extra Pax on.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 13, 2015

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Archonex posted:

So the revamp is really nice. Seems to have made the game much more enjoyable. I actually feel like combat isn't a tedious slogfest now. Hell, i'd even recommend people to try to pick the game. Tokyo is a proper survival horror experience now too since they weren't rebalanced. You go from a challenge to literally being terrified of walking on the streets due to the difficulty jump in mobs. It's pretty entertaining to see new players to the zone cringing at the mobs every time they come out of Agartha.

But that's not the important part of this post. No, the important part is that they've added in a ton of :swoon: fabulous pretty princess :swoon: enabling clothing. Now your horrible neckbeard of a paranormal investigator can wear a Hawaiian shirt and look like a beach bum.

Apparently this is part of the "Pangaea" update, which adds a ton more customization in to the game. Dark Side has two new vendors that rotate stock every day. I've seen everything from goth clothing to stuff that would look appropriate on a stereotype of a tourist in a foreign country. It's pretty great. It's also pretty expensive too, so it's something to spend that extra Pax on.

Mother gently caress. I've already bought everything at Pangaea once. Guess in have that to look forward to if I get back to playing.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Len posted:

Mother gently caress. I've already bought everything at Pangaea once. Guess in have that to look forward to if I get back to playing.

There is a lot of it. Like, the vendors are equivalent to fully stocked Pangaea vendors with a poo poo ton of color variants for every option. And every now and then that stock changes to something equally huge. So far it seems like there's a lot of options. There's a thread on the forums that hasn't even gotten the full stock yet given all the options.

Also, so far it seems like each clothing piece is like 50K to 100K. So I could see it quickly getting expensive. But holy gently caress a lot of the options are great. Someone in the game was telling me that it was just part of what they're working on too.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Even if it's not enormous game-expanding story content, I like that they're still working on it.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

if you want to try out the game, whats a good idea to buy to start off with? (expansions or whatever)

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

xutech posted:

if you want to try out the game, whats a good idea to buy to start off with? (expansions or whatever)

Just get the base game on steam or whatever and use the SA mart thread to get 15% off because it's on sale like nowhere right now.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

xutech posted:

I'm sure someone could hook you up with a buddy pass, like 3 days of game play, I would but all mine have been used. If you do end up liking the game, it goes on sale a lot.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

I got one for you: H2KLL7HFKCQQUQDFX5PD

Archonex
May 2, 2012

So i'm running through some of the Tokyo missions. Kaoru is the rabbit killer, right? I mean, it can't be that drunk detective in the rabbit fursuit down in quarantine. Though the entire scene where you find him is a mix of hilarious and stare inducing.

It seems pretty obvious given all the hints given towards it being them. Either way I want to build a teleport heavy blade deck like that now, if it's at all possible. That fight scene was :black101: as heck.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Mar 14, 2015

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

novaSphere posted:

I got one for you: H2KLL7HFKCQQUQDFX5PD

Thanks good sir. Making the massive download now.

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

This was the greatest day of my life. Finally I could stand on my soapbox and tell you American scum that you got exactly what you deserved.
P.S. Sorry Osama that Americans were not compassionate enough to take you in peacefully. You deserved better.
Ugh, so I guess I have to re-download this now.

:ohdear:

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

Warmachine posted:

Honestly, this game does not have many platform elements to it. The tools are there, it's just that they didn't make it a big part of the game. So far, I've only seen platforming during playfield achievements "Hot Lava" etc.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Hurray, 20gigs downloaded, lets start er up..

another 4 gig patch? argh

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Helmholz posted:

Honestly, this game does not have many platform elements to it. The tools are there, it's just that they didn't make it a big part of the game. So far, I've only seen platforming during playfield achievements "Hot Lava" etc.

I actually did The Cost of Magic last night. I didn't notice the achievement on the vampire platform section. The one I did notice was the poison lake. That was some hot bullshit that I gave up on because gently caress not even taking damage from the lake water but still losing the attempt because a network gremlin ate a packet. Meanwhile, the actual platforming section was super easy and I don't get what people were complaining about.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

Warmachine posted:

I actually did The Cost of Magic last night. I didn't notice the achievement on the vampire platform section. The one I did notice was the poison lake. That was some hot bullshit that I gave up on because gently caress not even taking damage from the lake water but still losing the attempt because a network gremlin ate a packet. Meanwhile, the actual platforming section was super easy and I don't get what people were complaining about.

There's a way to not take damage from the lake water? Huh. All this time I kind of just run/jumped to a platform, waited to regenerate from the lake damage and repeated. Maybe I should have looked harder.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

what server is everyone on?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

xutech posted:

what server is everyone on?

As far as I'm aware it doesn't actually matter

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Yeah, you can group up with anyone no matter what server, it only matters for PVP.

And even then not much.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Pesterchum posted:

There's a way to not take damage from the lake water? Huh. All this time I kind of just run/jumped to a platform, waited to regenerate from the lake damage and repeated. Maybe I should have looked harder.

"Not touching the water." But because lag, if you land too close, you'll lose the achievement, but not take damage because network voodoo.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

The "Unseen" achievements seem to be hosed in some way or another, so godspeed to anybody trying them. AFAIK Living Oil and The Pick-Up are hosed, who knows what else.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Do you add friends by username or character name? xutech and zutech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Is AR/Shotgun still fine? I don't know if I can be bothered to reroll just for this new patch.

• Locked thread