Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Card I used there got popped awhile back, and I got their notification in the mail. The dangers of the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
So I got an interview at my lfs, it's a massive garden centre, which is nice. Need to brush up on my tropical knowledge though as been Marin wonky for 10+ years!

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Just picked up the Maxspect Gyre powerhead. I got the smaller version for my tank and it seems to be working well. I haven't really messed with it that much but it seems pretty well made if a bit overpriced. This thing should be more like $150-$200 max. It comes with some ridiculous metal box packaging that is totally unnecessary for a powerhead.

Also bought a Milwaukee digital refractometer. This thing is awesome, really nice not having to deal with calibrating the other one or having to hold it just right.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

visuvius posted:

Just picked up the Maxspect Gyre powerhead. I got the smaller version for my tank and it seems to be working well. I haven't really messed with it that much but it seems pretty well made if a bit overpriced. This thing should be more like $150-$200 max. It comes with some ridiculous metal box packaging that is totally unnecessary for a powerhead.

And here I am thinking about getting the new brushless version of the Vortechs. The upgrade kits for the controllers won't run me all that much, and then I can buy replacement dry/wet sides at some later point.

quote:

Also bought a Milwaukee digital refractometer. This thing is awesome, really nice not having to deal with calibrating the other one or having to hold it just right.

Oh myyyyyy

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 11, 2015

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Got a trial at my lfs on Friday... First job is sorting the brown coral display!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I just test ran my Gyre 130 in my new 54 corner while I was testing the plumbing, with nothing in the tank but tap water.

It needs some TLC to get the nozzle angles right, but godDAMN does this thing move some water. It's surprisingly powerful, considering how big it isn't. The connections are nice too, though the controller is just a bit towards the cheap side. Works great, and is easy to use once you skim through the manual once.

Agreed on the price, though. The tin it comes in is obviously supposed to project some kind of luxury item, but I feel like it's just wasted effort.

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
What is wrong with my friend's Sicklet? It has a growth on the top of its fin, and my friend has been using Mardel Biospheres(?) Maracyn Plus Antibacterial (he was suggested to use that at the fish store) to try and treat the tumor/cyst/hemorrhoid, he was using antibiotics before but he was worried how the treatment would affect the other fish since the tumor hasn't shed in about a month so far.

He does water cleans at least once a week and he's treats his fish really well, if anyone has any suggestions thanks in advance. You can see it on the top fin of the yellow one

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Cichlid, and wrong thread.

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
thanks

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
Day two of a new 37g reef tank. 35lbs of live rock and two bags of live sand were added yesterday when the water hit correct parameters. PH/salinity/temperature are all golden. The NH3 test yesterday showed 0.0 but today it's showing 2ppm. Looks to be a fast cycle hopefully. I'll add the other powerhead soon. That isn't the actual light either, just a cheap led till the bigger one gets here tomorrow.

Also, is this a nem sprouting already?

Bruce Boxlicker fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 13, 2015

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

TEH Zombie Penguin posted:

Also, is this a nem sprouting already?

Looks like aiptasia. Get on top of that with a kalk syringe. Nip it in the bud early.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
There are actually two of them on two separate, uncured live rocks. I just don't want to kill anything cool but if it's a pest then obviously I will.

Edit: after a little research, I have come to the hypothesis that it is a Majano nem, which is also a pest. Bummer, their bioluminescence under night lights is really pretty.

Edit 2: aaaaand they're gone. Since the rock had nothing but those on them, I was able to just take the whole rock to the sink and cleanly remove them with needle/kalk and then a turkey injector. Hopefully there are no more hiding.

Bruce Boxlicker fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 14, 2015

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

There are actually two of them on two separate, uncured live rocks. I just don't want to kill anything cool but if it's a pest then obviously I will.

Edit: after a little research, I have come to the hypothesis that it is a Majano nem, which is also a pest. Bummer, their bioluminescence under night lights is really pretty.

Edit 2: aaaaand they're gone. Since the rock had nothing but those on them, I was able to just take the whole rock to the sink and cleanly remove them with needle/kalk and then a turkey injector. Hopefully there are no more hiding.

There are :)

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
Just picked up some syringes and a big cheap tub of pickling lime. At least I'm better equipped to deal with them.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Went to a big fish swap today, and came home with a dozen frags for my tank! Will get some pics up before too long, can't wait to get them into my display.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Our favorite LFS has a ton of aiptasia in their tanks. It's a real bummer when I see a coral I want there, 'cause no way am I rolling those dice. (We go there mainly for dog food and RODI water at this point).

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

Enos Cabell posted:

Went to a big fish swap today, and came home with a dozen frags for my tank! Will get some pics up before too long, can't wait to get them into my display.

Dude be careful putting all those new frags in at the same time. Both times I've had tank crashes, I'm 90% sure it had to do with adding too many frags at once after Reefapalooza. Granted I had like 20 frags. I used Revive coral dip on all the pieces.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

visuvius posted:

Dude be careful putting all those new frags in at the same time. Both times I've had tank crashes, I'm 90% sure it had to do with adding too many frags at once after Reefapalooza. Granted I had like 20 frags. I used Revive coral dip on all the pieces.

Thanks for the heads up. I've got them in a quarantine tank now. I think I'll only introduce 1-2 at a time and spread it out over the next few weeks.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Saw this guy at the LFS and had to have him.

Also uploading a video right now of him eating.

(Yes, I know I'm going to have to move the blenny and clowns from this tank pretty soon...)

Next project: buying two loving dozen mollies from Petco and dripping them into the spare saltwater tank.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z3-xeziTAg

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 21, 2015

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I just discovered this thread, I shouldn't have been surprised that there are goon reef keepers. I've been out of SW for a little while and just started a 3g pico in the kitchen for a Wheeler Goby/Pistol Shrimp pair that is going well.

I'm also planning to finally start my downstairs cube, a PicO Deep Blue 18 that's been sitting unused and brand new for a little over two years. I need to leak test it but I have all the equipment on hand or ordered.

The build will be bare bottom and SPS dominant:

PicO DB18 - All Starphire w/ Starphire cover, black Silicone
AI Prime - Black
AI Prime Tank Mount
Tunze 9001 Skimmer
Apex Controller w/ Temp Probe, pH Probe, EB8, Display Module
Apex Lunar Simulator Module
EcoTech MP10wES (old white case version)
Eheim 100w Heater
Tunze Osmolator 3155 (w/ big tub o' Kalk)
BRS 5-Stage RO/DI unit w/ 2 x 20g Brute Tubs
~25lbs of Marco Rock
Seachem Reefsalt (checked, still nice and granular and using it in my 3g)
1/2" Black HDPE for the bottom
Stand is already built

I don't know if build pics are welcome here or not but I'll update if anyone is interested.

Here is the 3g:

And it's inhabitants:

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

TKIY posted:

I just discovered this thread, I shouldn't have been surprised that there are goon reef keepers. I've been out of SW for a little while and just started a 3g pico in the kitchen for a Wheeler Goby/Pistol Shrimp pair that is going well.

I'm also planning to finally start my downstairs cube, a PicO Deep Blue 18 that's been sitting unused and brand new for a little over two years. I need to leak test it but I have all the equipment on hand or ordered.

The build will be bare bottom and SPS dominant:

PicO DB18 - All Starphire w/ Starphire cover, black Silicone
AI Prime - Black
AI Prime Tank Mount
Tunze 9001 Skimmer
Apex Controller w/ Temp Probe, pH Probe, EB8, Display Module
Apex Lunar Simulator Module
EcoTech MP10wES (old white case version)
Eheim 100w Heater
Tunze Osmolator 3155 (w/ big tub o' Kalk)
BRS 5-Stage RO/DI unit w/ 2 x 20g Brute Tubs
~25lbs of Marco Rock
Seachem Reefsalt (checked, still nice and granular and using it in my 3g)
1/2" Black HDPE for the bottom
Stand is already built

I don't know if build pics are welcome here or not but I'll update if anyone is interested.

Here is the 3g:

And it's inhabitants:

That's a pretty tank, but I have to ask - is it fully cycled yet? It seems super clean and free of algae and diatoms. If that is fully cycled, I want to know your secret!

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Castaign posted:

That's a pretty tank, but I have to ask - is it fully cycled yet? It seems super clean and free of algae and diatoms. If that is fully cycled, I want to know your secret!

Did a Prodibio startup dose, and stocked it lightly 48 hours later. In a 3g, even if it cycles hard I can change 50% of the water twice a week. Everything is happy in the tank although getting the Goby to eat is a PITA. I'll add more softies in about two weeks when the new light (PAR30 21w from eBay) comes in.

Vessel From Denny
Nov 20, 2007

TKIY posted:

I'll add more softies in about two weeks when the new light (PAR30 21w from eBay) comes in.

I always have a hard time finding decent lights on ebay and I don't have PMs. Could you link where you got it?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Vessel From Denny posted:

I always have a hard time finding decent lights on ebay and I don't have PMs. Could you link where you got it?

I ordered this one: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/151606352752?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I'll replace it if it's lovely, but that's the best price on a decent blue/white PAR30 I found.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Thats a cool build TKIY, I really like those PicO tanks. A little overpriced but his build quality seems really nice.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

visuvius posted:

Thats a cool build TKIY, I really like those PicO tanks. A little overpriced but his build quality seems really nice.

It's been sitting dry just waiting on lights. I got away from the hobby for a bit and now I'm ready to get back to it. Too drat cold to leak test it outside still.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
Little update after a couple weeks. Everything is doing pretty well. Just starting slow since this is my first reef and I'm finding out 37g is a lot of room.

Cotton Candy 5 head I got about 4 days ago. I'm a little concerned about the top two heads, they are splitting and look rough. Any thoughts?

Would love some feed back on anything you guys and gals think should be addressed.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Yeah those don't look too hot but then again Candy Cane's can be temperamental. I would try moving them down a little. The frag I had never really took off but I noticed it did a little better lower down, even sticking out of the sand bed.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
Edit: moved it. I'll let you know how it goes. Thank you!

Edit 2: looking happier already.

I thought that rock behind was maybe being taken over by coralline algae, but I'm pretty sure it's cyano. I'm suspending anything being fed but the flake of new era algae flakes I put in daily for the fish. Is that too frequent? I think I'm about to learn a nasty lesson about reef keeping.

Edit 3: LFS took my dollars and I lit that rock up with current. Here's hoping!

Bruce Boxlicker fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 29, 2015

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Anyone have luck with a fish trap? I have a medium sized blue tang that I REALLY want out but I feel like it will be a impossible task. I have corals and poo poo all over the place and a net will just end up in disaster. I also don't feel like sitting there like an rear end in a top hat for an hour at time dangling a net in the tank. She is basically a bully bitch and sick to boot so I'd love to get her the hell out.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

visuvius posted:

Anyone have luck with a fish trap? I have a medium sized blue tang that I REALLY want out but I feel like it will be a impossible task. I have corals and poo poo all over the place and a net will just end up in disaster. I also don't feel like sitting there like an rear end in a top hat for an hour at time dangling a net in the tank. She is basically a bully bitch and sick to boot so I'd love to get her the hell out.

Worst comes to worst, fish it out with a hook and mysis shrimp.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Edit: moved it. I'll let you know how it goes. Thank you!

Edit 2: looking happier already.

I thought that rock behind was maybe being taken over by coralline algae, but I'm pretty sure it's cyano. I'm suspending anything being fed but the flake of new era algae flakes I put in daily for the fish. Is that too frequent? I think I'm about to learn a nasty lesson about reef keeping.

Edit 3: LFS took my dollars and I lit that rock up with current. Here's hoping!

In a balanced and well-established tank multiple feeding daily should be ok. You need to buff up your nutrient export--water changes, macroalgae in a lit sump, chemical filtration as a last resort. Flow (lack of) is a component in cyano buildup but not the only one.

My generic advice would be to use hermit crabs to help control cyano, then water changes to get the nutrients in the water column out of the system.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

ruby idiot railed posted:

Worst comes to worst, fish it out with a hook and mysis shrimp.

Got a link discussing this technique? Seems nuts to me.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

visuvius posted:

Got a link discussing this technique? Seems nuts to me.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-06/sp/

I've done pretty much everything in the list.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I am going to be using flatworm exit today and figured I would ask if anyone has any last minute advice. The plan is:

1) Vacuum out as many as possible. I did this last night, and will repeat today to minimize them even further. My rockwork isn't very elaborate, so hopefully I don't have many hiding.
2) Dose the tank, sucking out any dying ones that I see.
3) After an hour introduce carbon to the filtration chamber. Let the carbon stay in the tank for 24-48 hours.
4) Perform a 30% water change shortly after adding carbon.

Should an hour before carbon be enough? I need to flirt the line between giving the exit time to work but getting the flatworm toxins out of the tank quickly. There are no fish in the tank by the way, just corals.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

ruby idiot railed posted:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-06/sp/

I've done pretty much everything in the list.

Okay I mean it seems nuts to go fishing in your living room but I just might try this.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
I mean you don't literally get out a rod and tackle, but yeah it's funny.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Or bust out the rod and tackle, make a video and go viral as gently caress

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Just saw my angler take a black molly.

Which makes the score something like 3 mollies and a damsel since I got him, plus miscellaneous feeder shrimp.

What a loving cool fish. I hope he colors up well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
First brood of black molly young in the spare tank--this makes the first batch of true saltwater mollies (takes about 3 weeks of acclimation for mollies to really become 'worth it' nutritionally for saltwater predator fish). Now to see how many of those make it to adulthood.

Going to swap these mollies out to a 10-gal AIO tank I think.

• Locked thread