Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Motronic posted:

Paint needs to be blended between panels. Otherwise it looks like "subtle monochrome harlequin".

And silver / most metallics are absolute bitches to match, even with a blend. Plan on shooting the whole side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Stud welder and a slide hammer is what's coming to my mind when it comes to pulling a dent out.

To bad. Aren't Mercedes strait 6 motors strait up and down and not tilted?

It would be good resto mod engine. Think the old base level sedans and coupes that came with strait 6s from the factory. That would be a kick rear end engine to replace it with.

20* or so tilt to the passenger side.

The M120 keeps the same tilt on the passenger bank even.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*
Happy birthday Leica!

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Decided to redo our family/tv room- I must be getting old, I completely skipped Ikea when shopping for furniture. Also, since when are couches like two loving grand?

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
Got a ticket today, was driving the dildocar and i am just not tuned in to how easy it is to fall over the limit if i am not using the cruisecontrol or autopilotthingie. 96km/h in a 80 limit. cop was nice enough and i have worked alot of incidents with the guy. he dropped me to 88 and gave me a harsh look :)

I am so falling in love this silly car, spacey, quiet and fast.

even my dog approves, i have considered letting her stay in the frunk...

fjelltorsk fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 14, 2015

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

God dammit I love Tobasco chocolate.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

fjelltorsk posted:

Got a ticket today, was driving the dildocar and i am just not tuned in to how easy it is to fall over the limit if i am not using the cruisecontrol or autopilotthingie. 96km/h in a 80 limit. cop was nice enough and i have worked alot of incidents with the guy. he dropped me to 88 and gave me a harsh look :)

Is it just a fine in Norway, or do you have a stupid points system like we do?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Aww yeah my wife has her sister over and are watching a Nicholas Sparks movie, which means I can get drunk and play video games for the first time in ages :dance:

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

Mooseykins posted:

Is it just a fine in Norway, or do you have a stupid points system like we do?

Points, you get from 1-3 points depending on the violation. a point sticks to you license for 3 years and if you get 8 your license get suspended for 6 months. But for smaller violations you dont get points.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

fjelltorsk posted:

Points, you get from 1-3 points depending on the violation. a point sticks to you license for 3 years and if you get 8 your license get suspended for 6 months. But for smaller violations you dont get points.

Ah, that sucks.

We can get 12 points, then you lose your licence, but i don't think you can get less than 3 points for any single violation. (Not sure which idiot worked that one out.)

I have 3 points for speeding, for doing 110mph in a 40, but they clocked me under (very heavy) braking @ 64mph i think. If i had been clocked at 66 i would've got referred to court and likely got 6 points. :stare:

Bought a new horn for the van, to replace the tame one that does nothing. This is not my "controversial" rear air horn.

:getin:

Mooseykins fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 15, 2015

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Mooseykins posted:

I have 3 points for speeding, for doing 110mph in a 40

Whoa, I hate to be that guy, but what the gently caress is this? 110 in a 65 on the freeway is one thing, but in a 40? :catstare:

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Raluek posted:

Whoa, I hate to be that guy, but what the gently caress is this? 110 in a 65 on the freeway is one thing, but in a 40? :catstare:

Yeah, i know. Stupid thing to do. At least it was clear and i was accelerating, not cruising at 110.

Live and learn i guess.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Any one that know how to measure small engine RPMs? Every thing I'm looking at is for 4 or bigger cylinder engines. I just don't want to make it permanent.

Edit: 1 or 2 cylinders I need it to work on.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Any one that know how to measure small engine RPMs? Every thing I'm looking at is for 4 or bigger cylinder engines. I just don't want to make it permanent.

Would a handheld laser tacho work for you?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Is http://www.androidpit.com/app/com.javiery.rpmgauge worth a shot?

Edit: Here's a similar IOS product: http://tunelab-world.com/enginerpm.pdf

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Mar 15, 2015

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I'll give that app a shot. Im rebuilding the carb on my folks generator. I should just go by frequency instead of rpms. But I have them use a UPS to "clean up" the electricity.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Time for a new av...

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I'll give that app a shot. Im rebuilding the carb on my folks generator.

Assuming a non-inverter genset you need to go by voltage/freq. Yeah, a tach is useful to get close, but fine tuning is all about what happens in the final output. You know enough to do the rough tach tuning by ear so just make sure you have something to measure at least AC voltage which should be sufficient if the generator side isn't beat to hell. Tune the speed based on that.

And don't forget to do it under a bunch of load. Because a lot of small generators will sag horribly compared to no load/lightly loaded.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

My buddy is on his way over and me and my roomie are proning on opposite ends of the house with our blasters ready to ambush him.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

PaintVagrant posted:

Time for a new av...

That is fantastic

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
5000 watt gen set. They mainly use it for powering the furnace and deep freeze (both 110v) so I am just going to use my table saw and hand held drill to do my tests. Figure its "close enough"

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I work in IT and since finishing school and getting a big boy job I HATE HATE HATE computer janitoring my own poo poo.

Finally decided that my decrepit 6 year old win 7 install needed to be glassed and ordered an SSD as the new OS disk.

This fresh OS and SSD :pusheen:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

meatpimp posted:

And silver / most metallics are absolute bitches to match, even with a blend. Plan on shooting the whole side.
Well poo poo.
I'll take it to the detailing thread, but this is what I'm working with.

And the full wash album with before/during/compare/after pics. http://imgur.com/a/9kT8b

Fuckit. I'm buying a new car this fall, I've lived with the rot this long, I'm not going to worry about it.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Slow is Fast posted:

I work in IT and since finishing school and getting a big boy job I HATE HATE HATE computer janitoring my own poo poo.

Finally decided that my decrepit 6 year old win 7 install needed to be glassed and ordered an SSD as the new OS disk.

This is exactly why I use OSX lol, no need to cj it

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Slow is Fast posted:

I'm in the same boat. The last thing I want to do is mess with my own gear. It's partially why I switched to a MacBook, but the rest of the household is Windows. (Except the kitchen PC, Mint 17 has been great.)

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
Got a text from my buddy. I seem to be a shoe in for a 80-85k a year contractor job! After being out of work since january I cant wait!

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Tusen Takk posted:

This is exactly why I use OSX lol, no need to cj it

OS X has some great well thought out poo poo, but a few fatal flaws.

Can't play old games on it and VMWare horizon view goes full down syndrome when you try and right click in it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Pillbug

Slow is Fast posted:

I recently got sick of Windows 7 and decided to go risky and install Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard on my laptop.

With a Core i7, 23GB DDR3 RAM, AMD FireGL FirePro M6100 2GB PCIe, 256BB mSATA SSD, 2 x 1TB Hard Disks.

Wow. Windows Server 2012 is actually increadibly fast and stable. Faster than the trial test of Windows 8.1 (same base OS as Server 2012) I did.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

I recently got sick of Windows 7 and decided to go risky and install Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard on my laptop.

With a Core i7, 23GB DDR3 RAM, AMD FireGL FirePro M6100 2GB PCIe, 256BB mSATA SSD, 2 x 1TB Hard Disks.

Wow. Windows Server 2012 is actually increadibly fast and stable. Faster than the trial test of Windows 8.1 (same base OS as Server 2012) I did.

Try Windows 10. It's a step above Windows 8.1.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Pillbug

the spyder posted:

Try Windows 10. It's a step above Windows 8.1.

I want to wait for the release version, I've run the pre-release in a VM and I like it, but Windows Server also gives me some tools I like for Systems Administration that let's me better manage our systems at the office.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CommieGIR posted:

That's a laptop? lol.

Thelonious
Jul 16, 2005

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Any one that know how to measure small engine RPMs?

http://www.amazon.com/Briggs-Stratton-19200-Tachometer/dp/B0044AV5VK

I used one of these in my high school small engines class over a decade ago.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Pillbug

CharlesM posted:

That's a laptop? lol.

"Mobile Development Platform"

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

I want to wait for the release version, I've run the pre-release in a VM and I like it, but Windows Server also gives me some tools I like for Systems Administration that let's me better manage our systems at the office.

Does the 8.1 toolkit not load? I've moved to a architech/manager roll and no longer deal with daily sysadmin tasks.

Edit:http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=39296

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Pillbug

the spyder posted:

Does the 8.1 toolkit not load? I've moved to a architech/manager roll and no longer deal with daily sysadmin tasks.

Edit:http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=39296

I can run HyperV native in the server environment on my local machine. Honestly, it cuts out most of the Windows 8.1 junk that I never wanted to begin with.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tusen Takk posted:

Aww yeah my wife has her sister over and are watching a Nicholas Sparks movie, which means I can get drunk and play video games for the first time in ages :dance:

Have you gotten drunk enough to not be able to tell them apart yet?

Edit: Jesus loving Christ. My ex that I broke up with 8 years ago just uploaded a ton of pictures of us from when we first dated (11 years ago) and tagged me in all of them. Thankfully blocking her deleted every tag.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 15, 2015

piss boner
May 17, 2003

Moved to LA (:banjo: not :ese:) to take a job recently. First house I fell in love with, had it inspected and the wiring in the attic wouldn't pass any sanity checks. Not a single junction box, lights not grounded correctly or at all. :stare:
Extension cord patched into cloth wiring from the 70's. :supaburn:
"It was inspected a while back without any problems, that inspector was too young to do this house right." :bahgawd:
Yeah, gonna need my deposit back. Realtors are fuckin scum.

the spyder posted:

Decided to redo our family/tv room- I must be getting old, I completely skipped Ikea when shopping for furniture. Also, since when are couches like two loving grand?

Welcome to my world. Fucks sake, some of the sketchy couches out there. I don't have that much heft, 200-210lb range and the $900 couch is creaking? No thanks. The sales clerk has blue hair and a mini-skirt? Ah... okay.

And gently caress Ashley home furniture in the rear end with their high-pressure sales tactics, it felt like I had stumbled into a buy-here-pay-here car lot.

fjelltorsk posted:

good_dog.jpg
You give that good dog a ride in that car with the windows down asap.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

zundfolge posted:

So my partner just put a Pyrex dish full of chicken thighs under the broiler. Guess what happened when he took it out and set it down on the stovetop. :psyboom:

Fortunately he wasn't hurt but we're both a little jumpy now.
What type of crappy stove do you have that broke from a hot dish? My folks have always had Bosch (early 90s and early 00s) throughout my life, and that was always my go-to place to set stuff because I often forget to get a hot plate out first... Gas ranges and lovely coil ranges also have no problem... I confuse.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

piss boner posted:

Moved to LA (:banjo: not :ese:) to take a job recently. First house I fell in love with, had it inspected and the wiring in the attic wouldn't pass any sanity checks. Not a single junction box, lights not grounded correctly or at all. :stare:
Extension cord patched into cloth wiring from the 70's. :supaburn:
"It was inspected a while back without any problems, that inspector was too young to do this house right." :bahgawd:
Yeah, gonna need my deposit back. Realtors are fuckin scum.

Way to pin the tail on the lowest common worker, pieces of poo poo.
I also agree. gently caress realtors.

Whittier eh? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Was talking to my landlord/neighbor across the street yesterday and learned that in addition to the dozen or so cars I know about (various MR2s, Miata, Mini Moke, Jeeps, Hondas, M100 Elan) he also has a Lotus 7, Caterham 7 and Elise 190 garaged. Living the dream :britain:

• Locked thread