Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Please stop trying to pick a fight with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Hbomberguy posted:

My main beef with Internet Atheists like Amazing Atheist and Thunderpants is that, while God technically isn't real and yes there is no evidence to support them yadda yadda smug smug smug, 'God' is not a literal being and more a phrase to describe a larger concept. It's never meant to be a literal creature hiding out in space somewhere or in magic-land.

Er, I won't speak for Islam, but as a former evangelical Christian, yes their God is a literal singular person who lives in a specific place. In fact, I'm pretty sure the only branch of Christianity that runs with the "vague force" concept are Unitarians. Don't forget that the Old Testament contains a story in which humans build a tower so they can just walk to heaven whenever they want, and God struck it down and cursed them to speak different tongues over it.

That said, AA and Thunderf00t are shitheads and frankly, I am never surprised to learn how many MRAs are also atheists. For some reason, many of those communities on the internet REALLY love welcoming them, in spite of the irony that atheism as a broader political theory should be about dismantling a patriarchy reinforced by centuries of religious bullshit.

I know Anita Sarkeesian once stated she got far more harassment from self-proclaimed atheists than any religious group.

EDIT: Oh wow, I typed that up before the Jay O bomb drop.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Jay O posted:

Millions of people who have devoted their life to a god they believe really does exist as a literal entity would take umbrage with that, but ya know, [HbomberguyOpinions.txt], zero crossover with [Reality.txt], broken record, yadda yadda.

I was thinking this too actually. A lot of times when religion is criticized(I'm religious, for the record) people argue "God" is supposed to be metaphorical for some reason but living in the southern US I can tell you that is definitely not the case for everyone. I'm pretty sure people don't kill others over what they percieve as a symbolic stand in for vague concepts.

MRAthiests are still dicks, though.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

Hbomberguy posted:

Please stop trying to pick a fight with me.

Saying "2 + 2 = 4" when someone writes a paragraph explaining why it's 17 is not a fight, man.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
God is considered and referenced as a singular being as well in the midwest. Specifically a he, with a son with many chapters directly talking to each other as if he was a singular being.

Singular.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

WickedHate posted:

MRAthiests are still dicks, though.
MRAs seem to be assholes regardless whether they are theists or atheists.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Hbomberguy posted:

My main beef with Internet Atheists like Amazing Atheist and Thunderpants is that, while God technically isn't real and yes there is no evidence to support them yadda yadda smug smug smug, 'God' is not a literal being and more a phrase to describe a larger concept. It's never meant to be a literal creature hiding out in space somewhere or in magic-land. It's an idea. Islam has hundreds of names for God because the whole point is they don't exist in a singular, measurable way, and are a product of everyone's viewpoint.

It's no surprise that the same people have problems with feminism. "Oh yeah? Well, show me 'the patriarchy'. You can't, can you? That's not a patriarchy, that's just a bunch of men doing bad stuff to women!" For a group that loves describing itself as free-thinking, new/alternative ideas are like this alien concept.

But people literally believe that god is real. Not a 'minority' thing but a LOT of people do. As in milllions believe that God (Yahweh in this instance) exists as a deity with a heaven and a hell.

Also for the fact that there are atheists who pretty much are like the apologists in terms of social political views, assholes everywhere. And atheistic thinking isn't anti-concept or describes towards a particular set of ideas regarding women and race. It basically means "I don't believe in god or any religion", not "I hold certain views towards minorities, women and etc."

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Hbomberguy posted:

My main beef with Internet Atheists like Amazing Atheist and Thunderpants is that, while God technically isn't real and yes there is no evidence to support them yadda yadda smug smug smug, 'God' is not a literal being and more a phrase to describe a larger concept. It's never meant to be a literal creature hiding out in space somewhere or in magic-land. It's an idea. Islam has hundreds of names for God because the whole point is they don't exist in a singular, measurable way, and are a product of everyone's viewpoint.

It's no surprise that the same people have problems with feminism. "Oh yeah? Well, show me 'the patriarchy'. You can't, can you? That's not a patriarchy, that's just a bunch of men doing bad stuff to women!" For a group that loves describing itself as free-thinking, new/alternative ideas are like this alien concept.

Are you fond of trains by chance?

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it
To be honest, I do feel bad for picking on Hbomberguy. And I wish I could stop doing it, because it derails the thread. (Sometimes it just goes otherwise limp in between spurts of content, which probably bolsters the problem.) I'm not going to stop watching the thread anytime soon, so it's like I feel provoked to respond literally just when he posts, and it's kinda buggin' me out, because he's the only person in the thread I have this visceral response to. I agree and disagree with plenty of people all the time in here, but I don't get involved in most of the debates and stuff, just read along. So it's weird.

Thinking about it, trying to parse it out, I think I'm just extremely infuriated by him because while other people post their honest opinions in a plain voice with different shades and nuances to them for agreeing or disagreeing to, promoting a healthy conversation, the only response you can have to HbomberguyOpinions is "that is completely objectively incorrect," and he says these blatantly wrong things not with the normal cadence a person interested in engaging with others does, but with this insufferable passive-aggressive bubble-pipe lecturer delivery instead. So all you're left to do is go "NOPE, here's why" and I guess my "NOPE, here's why" trigger finger is extremely twitchy.

Also, he talks about social issues a lot, which makes it worse. If he just talked about Man of Steel all day, that'd be one thing, but he starts waxing about the fascinating intangibility of sexism and how gender doesn't actually exist and it's like my posting hand moves on its own. :saddowns:

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

3,2,3,4,4,2,3 AND

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Honestly I think Hbomb is just trolling this thread for kicks. I've watched how stuff plays out in here and it looks very easy to do and you get some great responses from people who take poo poo too seriously.

Keep on keeping on Hbomb you are hilarious.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

"In my opinion, some people are approaching the concept of God from the wrong angle."

"What a crazy fucker! How dare he suggest that some people might be wrong about something! I bet he's secretly autistic, and smells his farts!"

I'm not a bad person. I'm just a couple of songwriters who came to Ishtar to break into showbusiness.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Hbomberguy posted:

3,2,3,4,4,2,3 AND

Alright, I give up - can someone please explain this joke to me.

KayTee fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 15, 2015

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

littleorv posted:

Honestly I think Hbomb is just trolling this thread for kicks. I've watched how stuff plays out in here and it looks very easy to do and you get some great responses from people who take poo poo too seriously.

Keep on keeping on Hbomb you are hilarious.

These men are pawns!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Annointed posted:

But people literally believe that god is real. Not a 'minority' thing but a LOT of people do. As in milllions believe that God (Yahweh in this instance) exists as a deity with a heaven and a hell.

The vast majority of religious beliefs are based on the existence of a literal being or collection of beings of divine nature. Even among the more shamanistic faiths there are generally actual spirits of whatever that are real. It really only among "spiritual" groups, select Buddhist sects, even more select Hindu sects, and the various philosophy "religions" that you're going to get general agreement that the divine is a concept and not a being.

Granted the divine is rarely a literal being of organic material, though it can manifest itself thusly, but rather a non corporeal being. Christianity even goes out of it's way to have a spirit, an avatar, and a being beyond puny human comprehension in order to cover all the bases!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

KayTee posted:

Take the next 2 hours and meditate on this truth, then all will become clear.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLKZtppbm_Q

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

KayTee posted:

Red Letter Media likes using the terrible trailer to the terrible movie Ishtar. They used it a lot in their Best of the Worst on the Star Wars Holiday Special instead of actually talking about the special, and in their livestream they had this surreal set of like half an hour where it was just the Ishtar trailer on loop. Then backwards. Then played at like 1/128 speed. And so on. It's a meme now.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Whoever made the suggestion is right. It's so much more fun just to quote the Ishtar trailer.

I can't even tell if I thought the Ishtar trailer was good when I first saw it any more. Every line is automatically funny to me now.

Gyges posted:

Christianity even goes out of it's way to have a spirit, an avatar, and a being beyond puny human comprehension in order to cover all the bases!
That's what makes Christianity so badass. Jesus, a physical person, dies, and yet lives on in the form of the community of believers. That's weirdly existentialist for a faith th- ah gently caress it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLKZtppbm_Q

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it

Hbomberguy posted:

"In my opinion, some people are approaching the concept of God from the wrong angle."

is the Hbomberguy version of:

Hbomberguy posted:

this Reality.

Hbomberguy posted:

"What a crazy fucker! How dare he suggest that some people might be wrong about something! I bet he's secretly autistic, and smells his farts!"

is the Hbomberguy version of:

Annointed posted:

Tae posted:

God is considered and referenced as a singular being as well in the midwest. Specifically a he, with a son with many chapters directly talking to each other as if he was a singular being.

Gyges posted:

The vast majority of religious beliefs are based on the existence of a literal being or collection of beings of divine nature. Even among the more shamanistic faiths there are generally actual spirits of whatever that are real. It really only among "spiritual" groups, select Buddhist sects, even more select Hindu sects, and the various philosophy "religions" that you're going to get general agreement that the divine is a concept and not a being.

Granted the divine is rarely a literal being of organic material, though it can manifest itself thusly, but rather a non corporeal being. Christianity even goes out of it's way to have a spirit, an avatar, and a being beyond puny human comprehension in order to cover all the bases!

this Reality.

This is what destroys my poor trigger finger. Not calling that out would physically hurt me. There are four lights goddammit.

Anyway, Ishtar.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Gyges posted:

I think you'll find that most mainline American Protestants don't really give a poo poo and are fine with the Bible being stories that use metaphor and God being a feeling or whatever.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Ishtar trailer is awful. It oversells the story to a ridiculous degree like it's too complex to get without Charles Grodin spelling everything out for you. Compare it to the trailer for Spies Like Us, which has kind of a similar premise but isn't garbage.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Much as I hate to explain the joke, I was referencing posts like these:

Jay O posted:

Also I find your "misogyny is ~fascinating~ and watching the gradual devolution of an actual clinically depressed person is beard-strokingly interesting" above-it-all-smelling-my-farts faux-intellectual thing really lame, and so does everyone else, so you can reel back the tryhard by about three notches. I promise you no one will mind.

Jay O posted:

Woof. This is what I mean by the smelling of the farts thing.

Again, at any time you could just explain what was actually wrong with my ideas about the concept of a God, instead of saying lots of people will disagree with me and that automatically makes me a crazy person who smells farts.

Your version of 'this reality' omits the part where you accused me of saying something tantamount to 2+2=17 (by the way, comparing theological ideas to mathematics is largely the sort of problem I was calling out). Basically if you remove all of your own posts from history and pretend the clock starts twelve minutes ago, then yes my paraphrasing jokepost makes no sense. Luckily, we have memories, and are capable of communication. With these things, combined, eventually you will explain what was actually wrong with my ideas.

Another thing: When did I become Your Girl?

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
CATCHING UP ON THE THREAD

poparena posted:

My newest requested review is up on "Who is Bugs Potter?" by Gordon Korman, a book whose main protagonist is completely blind to everyone's feelings and get's everything he wants without consequence. I hate you, Bugs Potter.

Wow, it'd be quite something having commercial writing success that early in life. That's even earlier than S.E Hinton.
I didn't really experience much of that kind of children's literature - Judy Blume wasn't that big in Australia, although I read a few Ramona books. Never heard of Gordon Korman before.

Miss Wallace posted:

New Baywatching is up: The Fabulous Buchannon Boys! Mitch's sleepy brother shows up with his kid. Meanwhile, shoddy bikinis.
http://phelous.com/2015/03/10/obscurus-lupa/baywatching/baywatching-the-fabulous-buchannon-boys/

What the HELL is Kay wearing when she photographs the pier?

Also, RE the Puss 'N Boots review - a Christmas Puppy *isn't* by David DeCoteau?

Shatner's actually from Montreal, so one would think that he might know how to speak French outside of just reading off cue cards. However, he's from an English bit of Montreal, before all the Quebec separatism made most of the city as vehemently French as it is now, so..maybe he just managed to escape learning it beyond the half-arsed high school French most Anglo Canadians get.

Well, that movie looks terrible - although I'll agree with you that when compared to Food Fight, the animation/character design isn't that bad. They at least know how to do textures like velvet and wood, instead of just shiny globule shitweasel everything. I'm also beginning to realise that really lovely animated movies tend to fill time with the characters just...dancing around and making pointless noises (see also Ratatoing.) Because kids won't care!
The monkey's accent is half-Jamaican, half-Welsh. How the gently caress did they manage that?

Excellent. Can't wait for the next part.

Infamous Sphere fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 15, 2015

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Jack Gladney posted:

The Ishtar trailer is awful. It oversells the story to a ridiculous degree like it's too complex to get without Charles Grodin spelling everything out for you. Compare it to the trailer for Spies Like Us, which has kind of a similar premise but isn't garbage.
Actually the Ishtar trailer is amazing because it oversells the story to a ridiculous degree which gets you curious enough to go see an underwhelming, forgettable comedy

By the time you're onto the con they've already got your money and you're a half hour into a five dollar box of one dollar Raisinettes

Edit: it should be noted however that Ishtar got nobody's money so I guess you're onto something

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
Gah - I knew the Ishtar gag, but I've only watched the thing once and forgot the first few seconds of it. I feel dumb.

Here's a contribution to the thread instead. Sage is still feeling poorly (get better soon Bennett :) ) so he's done a commentary on his Geist review along with Mark the Engineer.

Somehow MD Geist was the only 'famous' anime from the 90's that I never encountered. I grew up surrounded by so many teenage anime fans, it's pretty amazing that no one picked that thing up!

I'm not sure if I should be happy or not.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it

Hbomberguy posted:

Again, at any time you could just explain what was actually wrong with my ideas about the concept of a God, instead of saying lots of people will disagree with me and that automatically makes me a crazy person who smells farts.

Your version of 'this reality' omits the part where you accused me of saying something tantamount to 2+2=17 (by the way, comparing theological ideas to mathematics is largely the sort of problem I was calling out). Basically if you remove all of your own posts from history and pretend the clock starts twelve minutes ago, then yes my paraphrasing jokepost makes no sense. Luckily, we have memories, and are capable of communication. With these things, combined, eventually you will explain what was actually wrong with my ideas.

ANYWAY, content happened above me so moving on.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Ishtar sounds like a movie I would like to watch and immediately regret afterwards.

I need to watch better movies.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Infamous Sphere posted:

Also, RE the Puss 'N Boots review - a Christmas Puppy *isn't* by David DeCoteau?

I think you meant to ask, "a Christmas Puppy *isn't* by David DeCoteau!?!"

He is however, hard at work on 1313: Lonely Mrs. Claus' Christmas Puppies

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jack Gladney posted:

I think you'll find that most mainline American Protestants don't really give a poo poo and are fine with the Bible being stories that use metaphor and God being a feeling or whatever.

Mainline American Protestants, as sects, are more likely to actually critically think about the religion and observe the teachings of Christ rather than use the bible to simple reinforce their own beliefs in whatever(Prosperity Gospel, Moral Majority, Dominionism, etc.)

They are generally not more likely to believe that God is just an idea. Less of an angry old man in the sky keeping notes on all your filthy sins, closer to a spirit perhaps, but still an actual being. Unitarians, sure, but the other sects all have a divine being as part of their dogma. They are probably more likely to keep agnostics and closet atheists coming to services than Evangelicals though. So you're more likely to get a higher rate of "sure god is just, like, a concept, man" responses from them than Evangelical sects.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Hbomberguy posted:

I don't see how this is interpreted as gender being some kind of strange concept; it's pretty clearly saying that a lot of internet atheist types refuse to accept a term describing less tangible things like systems of belief or cultural patterns because they tend to be very concrete thinkers who are only happy about things that can be clearly and objectively measured. The logic is literally, "You can't show me a bunch of moustache-twirling men literally plotting the downfall of women, therefore sexism is over," just like the logic of their atheism is, "You're stupid for adhering to a religion/spirituality that has scientifically unprovable beliefs."*

Like, this isn't a strange thing, it's something you see all the drat time. I know HBG types out his rear end a lot, but he's not really wrong here.

* I'm cool with people who choose not to believe because of said thing, but it's poo poo when you decide that there's something wrong and stupid about someone else going with other beliefs for their own reasons.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I sure do love those internet critics, God and feminism.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

HBomberguy is a shitposter you should have on your ignore list, and occasional videos mocking the world's easiest targets do not change this.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fsk6oZm1EEA

Extra History comes out with their second video detailing the South Sea Bubble. I have to say I really like these Extra History videos. They aren't exactly in depth (Knowing a lot about WW1 and the Sengoku Jidai had me tearing my hair out at times because of some of the major players they omit), but as a broad overview, they do encourage people to search out the finer details.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

God being unknowable and not a singular being is the whole point of Kabbalah and the Trinity. Unforunately evangelical Protestantism is as a movement literally founded on the idea that having to be educated in the bible to be a "pastor" is wrong. So they're a bunch of people whose main religious authority has no greater understanding of their religion than I do of food by reading the McDonalds lunch menu.

KKall
Oct 15, 2012

Hbomberguy's statements about religion make a lot of sense if you know a little bit of Lacanian psychoanalysis. He's saying that... oh forget it. Not worth the effort.

3, 2, 3, 4, 4, 2, 3, 4

KKall fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Mar 15, 2015

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I can only make it like half way through his posts but the reactions to his posts are great. Also those videos were gold.

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fsk6oZm1EEA

Extra History comes out with their second video detailing the South Sea Bubble. I have to say I really like these Extra History videos. They aren't exactly in depth (Knowing a lot about WW1 and the Sengoku Jidai had me tearing my hair out at times because of some of the major players they omit), but as a broad overview, they do encourage people to search out the finer details.

Oh neat thanks. I actually read about the South Sea Bubble in a few books (Debt the first 500 years, Bad Samaritans or 23 Things I forget which) but didn't remember the details.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

Infamous Sphere posted:

Well, that movie looks terrible - although I'll agree with you that when compared to Food Fight, the animation/character design isn't that bad. They at least know how to do textures like velvet and wood, instead of just shiny globule shitweasel everything. I'm also beginning to realise that really lovely animated movies tend to fill time with the characters just...dancing around and making pointless noises (see also Ratatoing.) Because kids won't care!
The monkey's accent is half-Jamaican, half-Welsh. How the gently caress did they manage that?

Excellent. Can't wait for the next part.

Well a lot of the time when something is dubbed into English, they tend to fill in gaps with random noises so that the lips fit. It's a combination of a) laziness because they don't want to edit, a b) space-saving on the DVD. They only need one copy of the video file, and just switch the language track. The end result is annoyance, mostly.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Ah, my Big Other finally weighed in.

KKall posted:

Hbomberguy's statements about religion make a lot of sense if you know a little bit of Lacanian psychoanalysis. He's saying that... oh forget it. Not worth the effort.

3, 2, 3, 4, 4, 2, 3, 4
Thanks for the grain of recognition, but you're right. It's not worth it.

I hereby abdicate from posting in this thread except to make small talk and dumb jokes about Ishtar. :toxx:

Of course if I actually watch Ishtar and it turns out it's a Lacanian-Marxist masterpiece that means I'm hosed.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Hbomberguy posted:

Ah, my Big Other finally weighed in.

Thanks for the grain of recognition, but you're right. It's not worth it.

I hereby abdicate from posting in this thread except to make small talk and dumb jokes about Ishtar. :toxx:

Of course if I actually watch Ishtar and it turns out it's a Lacanian-Marxist masterpiece that means I'm hosed.

Taking all bets on how long you'll last. I'll give a five months tops, just to be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Infamous Sphere posted:

CATCHING UP ON THE THREAD
Wow, it'd be quite something having commercial writing success that early in life. That's even earlier than S.E Hinton.
I didn't really experience much of that kind of children's literature - Judy Blume wasn't that big in Australia.

On the other hand we did have authors like Robin Klein (who I never much cared for) and Morris Gleitzman was and continues to be awesome.

(I feel I should also mention Tim Winton's Lockie leonard Human Torpedo, which is just an amazing book in the "how the gently caress did something this sleazy and generally sordid get published and marketed to 10-year-olds" sense.)

• Locked thread